Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Curve D3 resale value?

Reply

Old 04-05-18, 06:13 PM
  #26  
Joe Remi 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I took her out for a spin tonight,...and I realized an important thing: I'm so outta shape, and the car accident really makes it difficult fr me to ride a bike right now. Ugh,...
Baby steps, mate. Even 2 miles is outside on a bike instead of on the couch. One mile at a time!
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 06:20 PM
  #27  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,426

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Baby steps, mate. Even 2 miles is outside on a bike instead of on the couch. One mile at a time!
Thanks Joe,...I should know that by now. The car accident messed me up more than I realized,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 06:56 PM
  #28  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 942

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Wow she looks fabulous!
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 06:56 PM
  #29  
Joe Remi 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Your Curve looks great, btw. I had one for a while, they're huge fun.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 07:36 PM
  #30  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,426

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Thank you both! I plan on eventually swapping out the pedal arms/chainring with black, and maybe the same for the rims as well. Depends on how crazy I go with it. I want to use it as a lunch time bike. When you only have a half hour, being mobile matters.

But, I'll go slow right now. I'm hurting more than I'd like to admit.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 04:03 AM
  #31  
BromptonINrio
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Probably not. I discovered the hard way that a Curve D3 is very sensitive to moving the chainline much; there isn't a lot of room in there between the frame sections. I don't think two chainrings up front would work.
Curve is a hard modder.
Moving the chainline few milimeters will make you hit the setstay with chainslaps and damage the frame...
Increasing the chainring to 50 is also possible, but chain clearence will become minimal.
In mine curve i swaped the botton bracket for a hollowtec II and put a 50t chainring.
In back i put a sturmry archer 8.
Wile saves 500g in front, it penaltyes 460g in the back with new hub. So no real change on wheight.

These two mods needs to make a protection on frame for the chain not to hit in chainslaps.
BromptonINrio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 05:27 PM
  #32  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,426

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio View Post
Curve is a hard modder.
Moving the chainline few milimeters will make you hit the setstay with chainslaps and damage the frame...
Increasing the chainring to 50 is also possible, but chain clearence will become minimal.
In mine curve i swaped the botton bracket for a hollowtec II and put a 50t chainring.
In back i put a sturmry archer 8.
Wile saves 500g in front, it penaltyes 460g in the back with new hub. So no real change on wheight.

These two mods needs to make a protection on frame for the chain not to hit in chainslaps.
The only mod I'd actually consider is the Sturmey-Archer X-RF8 8Spd Hub 28 Hole, but I just figure I might keep the drivetrain stock. Eventually I'll acquire a Downtube Mini 8 speed w/the Sturmey-Archer hub.

For now, I'm content with her just the way she is!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 05:39 PM
  #33  
edelay
Senior Member
 
edelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 291

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I took her out for a spin tonight,...and I realized an important thing: I'm so outta shape, and the car accident really makes it difficult for me to ride a bike right now. Ugh,... She definitely is getting an 8 speed Sturmey-Archer
Hey TDS101. What a score. Looks great with the black components. When you do the Sturmey Archer X-RF8 upgrade, ensure you run a narrow single speed chain and keep the chain reasonably tight... as there isn't much room with the chainstay/seatstay and the chain can rub.

Have a look at the gear inches as well before ordering to see what range you are getting. I am running 31 to 100 gear inches, which is darn fast in 8th gear. That is with 47 teeth on the front and 25 teeth in the back. I'm certain you have seen my (many) posts on the this hub. The noise and the friction annoy me, but I love this hub and this bike.

Last edited by edelay; 04-07-18 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typos
edelay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 05:48 PM
  #34  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,426

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Originally Posted by edelay View Post
Hey TDS101. What a score. Looks great with the black components. When you do the Sturmey Archer X-RF8 upgrade, ensure you run a narrow single speed chain and keep the chain reasonably tight... as there isn't much room with the chainstay/seatstay and the chain can rub.

Have a look at the gear inches as well before ordering to see what range you are getting. I have running 31 to 100 gear inches, which is darn fast in 8th gear. That is with 47 teeth on the front and 25 teeth in the back. I'm certain you have seen my (many) posts on the his hub. The noise and the friction annoy me, but I love this hub and this bike.
Oh yes, I've definitely read your mod story. I'm just going to enjoy her at the moment. I'll see what I eventually decide to do. My only real issue is my heel hits the chain cover on the shift chain,... IF and WHEN I get totally fed up with this,...that will be my defining, deciding moment! LOL!!!

PS: I only hate 1 thing in particular about SA hubs,...it's the finikyness of the shifting BEFORE the cable stretches enough. You definitely have had a good amount of experience with that.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 04-06-18 at 05:52 PM.
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 07:04 PM
  #35  
Joe Remi 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 970

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Oh yes, I've definitely read your mod story. I'm just going to enjoy her at the moment. I'll see what I eventually decide to do. My only real issue is my heel hits the chain cover on the shift chain,... IF and WHEN I get totally fed up with this,...that will be my defining, deciding moment! LOL!!!

PS: I only hate 1 thing in particular about SA hubs,...it's the finikyness of the shifting BEFORE the cable stretches enough. You definitely have had a good amount of experience with that.
I can see how that weird cover would be annoying, but yeah, I wouldn't mess with the drivetrain. It's a fun little bike as is, and in my opinion your upgrade money would be better spent on the Downtube you mentioned.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 11:43 AM
  #36  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,426

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I can see how that weird cover would be annoying, but yeah, I wouldn't mess with the drivetrain. It's a fun little bike as is, and in my opinion your upgrade money would be better spent on the Downtube you mentioned.
I'm going to use a bit of velcro to secure and hold the chain cover in place. This way, even if I catch it with my heel, it's got a bit of protection.

And yes, I think getting a Downtube Mini is what I'll eventually do.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service