Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

A detailed Dahon Curl i8 review

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

A detailed Dahon Curl i8 review

Reply

Old 02-06-18, 05:29 AM
  #51  
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 583

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Please don't come here and tell us an owner review of a bicycle is biased because they own the bike. It's insulting.
It's actually born out by evidence though. Often satisfaction survey's conflict with actual factual data on reliability for example.

Often people's perceived idea of quality and how they associate with a brand are X factors to how they feel about their purchase. If you convince someone a product is high quality they can believe a unreliable product is actually reliable compared to other products which they will perceive as worse even if they are not.

https://motorbikewriter.com/what-are...e-motorcycles/

We all have bias, normally if you have a wide range of reviews of owners or you have professional reviews from people who have tested a wide range of similar products you can get a better picture.

At the moment its a struggle to find any reviews of the Curl to get any sort of fair assessment, either professional or end use. These will come I'm sure. I'm seeing comments on forums which I have to say have been overall negative in tone in my opinion either because of poor construction, ride quality or thoughts on excessive pricing.
Bonzo Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 08:41 AM
  #52  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana View Post
It's actually born out by evidence though. Often satisfaction survey's conflict with actual factual data on reliability for example.

Often people's perceived idea of quality and how they associate with a brand are X factors to how they feel about their purchase. If you convince someone a product is high quality they can believe a unreliable product is actually reliable compared to other products which they will perceive as worse even if they are not.

https://motorbikewriter.com/what-are...e-motorcycles/

We all have bias, normally if you have a wide range of reviews of owners or you have professional reviews from people who have tested a wide range of similar products you can get a better picture.

At the moment its a struggle to find any reviews of the Curl to get any sort of fair assessment, either professional or end use. These will come I'm sure. I'm seeing comments on forums which I have to say have been overall negative in tone in my opinion either because of poor construction, ride quality or thoughts on excessive pricing.
I've seen a hundred owner reviews of Bromptons which mention issues like weak brakes, difficult rear wheel removal, excess weight, funky shifters (pre-2017), limited tire selection, etc. And this is from Brommie fans who love their bikes. It's absurd to propose to this forum that a Dahon Curl owner can't objectively judge the ride, construction and folding on the merits. Which you confessed to by admitting you're interested in Amazon owner reviews!
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 08:49 AM
  #53  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I've seen a hundred owner reviews of Bromptons which mention issues like weak brakes, difficult rear wheel removal, excess weight, funky shifters (pre-2017), limited tire selection, etc. And this is from Brommie fans who love their bikes. It's absurd to propose to this forum that a Dahon Curl owner can't objectively judge the ride, construction and folding on the merits. Which you confessed to by admitting you're interested in Amazon owner reviews!
It is different when you examine a statistics of reviews than when you examine one or so.
2_i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 09:20 AM
  #54  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
It is different when you examine a statistics of reviews than when you examine one or so.
Oh, so then it's ok to come here and accuse one Curl owner of bias for being happy with the bike. That's ridiculous.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 11:09 AM
  #55  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Joe, this is not an existential issue. We are just talking about bikes that we might like more or less
2_i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 11:56 AM
  #56  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,015

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
Joe, this is not an existential issue. We are just talking about bikes that we might like more or less
It's an issue if we're now going to discount forum comments about personal experience as "biased".
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 01:30 PM
  #57  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,486

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
I'm thinking that the people who tell me Brompton got it right with the 6 speed, but their experience with the Sturmey-Archer or Shimano 8 speed hubs being no good on a Brompton is correct are biased. Seems to me it's biased if people here disagree, and they've used or owned a bike, but NOT biased for the sake of their argument/discussion.

Now a Curl owner giving a review is biased,...rediculous!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 02:09 PM
  #58  
Revoltingest
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Revoltistan (in SE MI)
Posts: 80

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Ugh...this is starting to sound like politics. Let's just acknowledge that everyone is biased in one way or another. Read reviews for what they're worth. They all add to a comprehensive picture.

Dang it....now I sound like a moderator!
Someone's gonna pay for that.
Revoltingest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 02:12 PM
  #59  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,486

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
You're correct though,...this place is becoming a sparring arena.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 05:21 PM
  #60  
desastar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gataddhin View Post
You either love it or hate it

The Brompton looks a bit old fashion compared to the Dahon. Despite the strange curve, the frame has more detailing and design features, esp where the front fork and head tube meets. Pity it isnt lighter.
desastar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 06:14 PM
  #61  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 2,160

Bikes: In service - Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
A sect...

a fundamental problem is that a few here do not suffer criticism, objective or subjective, of their beloved Brompton gladly. In their haste to stamp out criticism, it does not occur to them that they too may be biased. at times it is like the Inquisition around here.


Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
Ugh...this is starting to sound like politics. Let's just acknowledge that everyone is biased in one way or another. Read reviews for what they're worth. They all add to a comprehensive picture.

Dang it....now I sound like a moderator!
Someone's gonna pay for that.
Abu Mahendra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:04 AM
  #62  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by desastar View Post
The Brompton looks a bit old fashion compared to the Dahon. Despite the strange curve, the frame has more detailing and design features, esp where the front fork and head tube meets. Pity it isnt lighter.
Good comment about weight but my comment here is about the frame.

What I see is that the Curve is there to allow the triangle brackets to extend completely around the wheel while not projecting into the crank area.

The Triangle Brackets are a major stiffening element to the Curl Frame (maybe also some of the weight added too).

I do find it a striking shape myself... But while we are talking of "similar" designs. Look at this pic I see of the Hummigbird that is coming out. Damn arched shape almost copies the Curl more than a Brompton. Seems an interesting bike but probably deserves its own thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hummingbird Crop.jpg (30.5 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg
2018-01-22_15.30.08 (1).jpg (84.1 KB, 252 views)
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado

Last edited by L Arnold; 02-10-18 at 11:06 AM. Reason: bikes side by side
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:26 PM
  #63  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
despite the strange curve...
curl curve.jpg
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:31 PM
  #64  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Is there an engineering reason why the back bone is so hunched?
The main frame pretty much wraps around the rear tire in the folded position, but you're welcome to sketch on this picture where you think the main frame should be instead.

curl.JPG
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:37 PM
  #65  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
The main frame pretty much wraps around the rear tire in the folded position, but you're welcome to sketch on this picture where you think the main frame should be instead.

Attachment 599078
What is going on with the saddle in this post?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:37 PM
  #66  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bonzo banana View Post
i'm seeing comments on forums which i have to say have been overall negative in tone in my opinion...
27067302_10156293320184172_3396320728951421154_n.jpg
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:39 PM
  #67  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
What is going on with the saddle in this post?
Dahon experimented with several alternative seat post designs during the development of the Curl. This was a 'side folding' seat post. The production version uses a double collapsing seat post that results in a smaller overall fold.
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 01:05 PM
  #68  
berlinonaut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
The main frame pretty much wraps around the rear tire in the folded position, but you're welcome to sketch on this picture where you think the main frame should be instead.

Attachment 599078
The interesting question is why the Brompton does not need this hump though both bikes have tires of the same size.
berlinonaut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 01:56 PM
  #69  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Cool pic with the Cappuccino.
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 07:01 PM
  #70  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
The interesting question is why the Brompton does not need this hump though both bikes have tires of the same size.
Hint: Check out the racks.
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 07:03 PM
  #71  
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 5,235

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by L Arnold View Post
Cool pic with the Cappuccino.
Not my pic; found that on a forum, posted by the owner. Here's my Curl:

curl.jpg
tcs is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 07:22 PM
  #72  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 2,160

Bikes: In service - Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
nice rack!

...

Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Not my pic; found that on a forum, posted by the owner. Here's my Curl:

Attachment 599112
Abu Mahendra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 09:53 AM
  #73  
mtb_addict
Senior Member
 
mtb_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,686
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
What's the verdict? Is this a better than the Brompton? Who wins?
mtb_addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 12:21 AM
  #74  
foldingdroid
Senior Member
 
foldingdroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 127

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque, Riteway Glacier, Gios Antico

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Both are winners as long as you ride it.
foldingdroid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 02:02 PM
  #75  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,486

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Originally Posted by foldingdroid View Post
both are winners as long as you ride it.
This,...right here,...the truth!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service