Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a lightweight bike

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for a lightweight bike

Reply

Old 03-15-18, 03:20 PM
  #51  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 37,343

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5561 Post(s)
Trek Bontrager helmets, Adding the Mips feature will cost more money...

31.8, or 31.75mm to be precise is 1.25" Asia makes some in Titanium, Or you can contact Ti Cycles, a Custom Shop in Portland Oregon..

reads like you bought the bike now want to change everything, it happens..

may be better to sell that and get another with your needs better met Or N+1, have one for a friend to borrow..


... weights can be looked up.. Sturmey Archer Website? Shimano?





...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-15-18 at 03:29 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 03:35 AM
  #52  
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 616

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
I need help finding a good Mips helmet.

Any recommendations and links?

Also I will need to buy usb lamps so would also need some advice here.

And finally I will need to buy a.new seat post as the one of the bike has just 400 mm and I feel a bit low in the bike. So I will need a bigger seat post. The seatpost tube measures 31.8mm.

Also how could I switch from derrail to an internal 8 gear hub? Would the bike become heavier?
From what you said you paid a good price for the bike and therefore you might be able to get back what you paid. Use the experience of this bike to help choose your next bike. Now you know you want maybe a 20" wheel folding bike with hub gears you can focus on that. It will work out much cheaper to get a bike close to your desired spec rather than upgrade a bike that is far from your desired spec.
Bonzo Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-18, 03:44 AM
  #53  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi thanks for your comments but I love the bike I bought because it's small and I really need a small bike. I just want to change what is really necessary for me to feel good on it. For instance when I sit on the bike I feel low because the seat post is not long enough for me so I need to buy a longer one. Also the derail also bumps here and there because it's a bit away from the main frame of the bike that's why I am thinking switch to an internal hub. Nothing more and above all I really like the bike I bought! And yes Iam thinking in converting it electric so that can go up the hills... It's very tiring to pedal all these hills over here... I heard about the 16 wheel conversion kits for brompton so might fit it a try here. This would help a lot on the hills.

So Iam improving my bike instead of buying a new bigger one and sell this one that I really like.

I will be doing this with time no rush...
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 05:22 PM
  #54  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Hi thanks for your comments but I love the bike I bought because it's small and I really need a small bike. I just want to change what is really necessary for me to feel good on it. For instance when I sit on the bike I feel low because the seat post is not long enough for me so I need to buy a longer one. Also the derail also bumps here and there because it's a bit away from the main frame of the bike that's why I am thinking switch to an internal hub. Nothing more and above all I really like the bike I bought! And yes Iam thinking in converting it electric so that can go up the hills... It's very tiring to pedal all these hills over here... I heard about the 16 wheel conversion kits for brompton so might fit it a try here. This would help a lot on the hills.

So Iam improving my bike instead of buying a new bigger one and sell this one that I really like.

I will be doing this with time no rush...
Get the right size seat post now. Hold off on the IGH - if you add an electric motor, you might be able to drop down to 3 speeds or even single speed and the IGH would be an unnecessary expense. MANY folks run e-bikes as single speeds (check out endless sphere).
linberl is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 05:45 PM
  #55  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
Get the right size seat post now. Hold off on the IGH - if you add an electric motor, you might be able to drop down to 3 speeds or even single speed and the IGH would be an unnecessary expense. MANY folks run e-bikes as single speeds (check out endless sphere).
By the way do you know a good conversion kit to transform a normal 16 wheel bike into an e-Bike?

I noticed that there are wheels already with motor and integrated battery but no one seems to make this to 16" wheels. It's more frequent to 26" wheels. That would be cool because I would just need to change my front wheel and replace it with the motor wheel.

Companies that sell wheels with included motor and battery kits are "Imortor" and "UrbanX".
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 07:38 PM
  #56  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
By the way do you know a good conversion kit to transform a normal 16 wheel bike into an e-Bike?

I noticed that there are wheels already with motor and integrated battery but no one seems to make this to 16" wheels. It's more frequent to 26" wheels. That would be cool because I would just need to change my front wheel and replace it with the motor wheel.

Companies that sell wheels with included motor and battery kits are "Imortor" and "UrbanX".
First, stay as far away as you can from imortor and urbanext - i bought in on their kickstarter, total disaster. I got some of my money back, no product. People who did get them said they stopped the first time it drizzled on them or they blew up in smoke when they first connected the batteries. Go read the IGG comments thread - just awful. There's even a Slack for people who want to do a class action.

Companies that have decent reputations: Leeds, Dillinger, Grin Technologies (makes the kit for Bike Friday; very reputable), Hill Topper, Luna. depend on your skill level which way you should go. How big are the hills? If more than 10 degrees, I would recommend a mid-drive kit, not a front hub. Is your fork aluminum or steel? Front hub motors aren't really recommended for aluminum but, at the very least, must be installed with torque plates.

There is an e-bike thread here on bike forums; I suggest you post a pic of your bike and ask for suggestions there.
If you do decide to go with a front hub and just want to do a "wheel swap" then buy an extra wheel to set up. OTOH, some of the hubs only add about 4-5 pounds to the bike, so you could just leave it and take the batteries off when riding manually.
linberl is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 09:30 PM
  #57  
edelay
Senior Member
 
edelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 301

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Hi guys .. made up my mind and bought an used like new Orbita Flex bike 16" with fat tyres with 8 gears.

The brand is Orbita a famous Portuguese brand, not so known in the US but sells on Amazon that is in the bike business since 1971.

Orbita prouds themselfs to be the amoungst the few bike companies in Europe that decided not to switch to Asia to manufacture bikes.

The bike folds as little as the Curve D3 and weights only 11,5kg.

Its a great pretty lightweight bike and its speed is great!

Some pics attached.
That is a great looking bike. Welcome to the fold!
edelay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 07:21 PM
  #58  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think Iam going to have a problem to where I will be fitting the battery...
The main middle frame tube is very thisn and in a triangular shape.. the bottom is the base of the triangle with about 3 cm width and the top is the vertice of the triangle with 1 cm width so how to place a battery in this place?

In the saddle post I can't attach a frog kind of battery because I need to put it down when I fold the bike then in the back I have no rack.. in the front there's the handlepost that fold as well so ...

Practically I have no possible option to put the battery in the bike...

So before even consider to turn my bike to an ebike I need to figure this out.. I had not thought about this..

Any ideas??
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 07:44 PM
  #59  
Pine Cone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 342

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
I think Iam going to have a problem to where I will be fitting the battery...

Practically I have no possible option to put the battery in the bike...

So before even consider to turn my bike to an ebike I need to figure this out.. I had not thought about this..

Any ideas??
You can probably fit a small front rack that uses the front brake bolts to help mount it to your fork. I have one on my Downtube Mini which also has 16" wheels.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...ck-na-frr-base
Pine Cone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 03:02 AM
  #60  
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Ok now I have my bike and have tested it.

The first impression is that it get a lot of attention and questions from people I don't even know. They want to know about the bike, etc.

Then riding the bike... I am 1.85m and the seat post length is not that high so I feel a bit down in the bike... The seat tube is about 40cm usable and I would need a longer one.. don't know if I can buy one longer or not.

In straight line plane road the bike is great and the gears go well but on hills and steep hills forget even with the gears I need to carry the bike walking to the top then ride again. No way one can ride the steep hill.. I just see myself riding here in fact t I don't see any bike riding.. that make me think why I got so much attention

When riding the soft hills in lower gear I get a lot tired from pedaling because obviously the wheels are small.. but it's hard to get to the top.

In all I think Orbita Flex 16 it is a good bike. Perhaps a 20" wheel version would be better for me but I like the look of the 16" inch model and I can travel with it in a small cartoon box as a standard flight pack as part of my airplane ticket.

Now I need to find a good helmet and something to stick both wheels together when bike is folded.
when I read your posts I have problems deciding if you are for real or if you are just joking.

First of all, what is really making your legs tired is the short seatpost. Not the small wheels, not the hills. Listen to Linberl and get a longer seatpost. Then ride your bike often to get stronger legs.

It may be impossible to fit a IGH to your bike and new seatpost and now IGH is going to make your bike cost 2X the amount you payd for it so listen to the peopel who tell you to sell the bike and buy the right one!

Small wheels: The only reason small wheels make the bike slow and hard to pedal is if there is not enough air in the tyres, poor quality tyres and/or bearrings or if the small wheels are digging into sand, mud or snow. Do you think a car with small wheels need a bigger engine and more fuel than a car with bigger wheels? Being a teacher you should know it is about gearing, not about wheel size.

If weight is important I would look for a friction drive motor:

If you need a strong motor forget about lightweight and get a motor that can be installed in the crank. The small wheels makes it difficult to fit hub motors. Most of your weight is on the rear wheel. If you install a hub motor in the front it is going to spin when you go uphill. If you install a hub motor in the rear wheel you can not have a hub gear on the same wheel.

You could install a two gear crank in the front to get more gears for the hills but the bike is going to be heavyer.

Look into the Klickfix system of bags and atatchments to add a battery to your bike. Also a small front rack as somebody suggested but that is also going to make the fold bigger.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers...g-black-alloy/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=Rixen%20Kaul


You are getting a lot of advice but you are not listening. You may find that peopel stop writing if you do not listen.
badmother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 03:42 AM
  #61  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thanks for your advice.

Sorry if seems that I do not listen to people... That's not true. The fact is that I do read what every single person are saying but obviously as I am a new guy in this bike cene I want to understand about all the bike gear and their function.

Regarding my bike I like it a lot however yes it needs a new seatpost. But a longer seatpost will make the bike not so compact because the saddle will stand out when folded.

Regarding motors, I received lots of advice... Some said front motors would be better,others said mid motors would be the right choice and others said thay rear motors should the perfect fit to my Bike. So all this info together make me fell a bit confused of what to choose. The same to IGHs. Then the place where to buy this stuff.. from China? From EU or US?

Anyway, yesterday a friend told me to check the new invented British "Swytch" bike system that basically transform every bike into electric. It's on Indiegogo and it is a easy system that can be attached to any bike and it will turn all non ebikes to ebikes. I think this would be possibly a solution to my bike but I am still studying this possibility and do not disregard at all the comments I received here. As I said I am still studying what solution best meets my needs in all senses not disregarding bike weight and the financial investment.

In all if I forese thay nothing will work out I will follow your advice and sell my bike and buy a new one but this time an ebike.

Last edited by Papaformigas; 03-27-18 at 03:53 AM.
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 04:54 PM
  #62  
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It does not matter that your bike is less compact with a longer seatpost, you can not ride with a seatpost that is too short.

The Brompton solved this by making a telescopic seatpost https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-pos...c-seat-pillar/

I bought two used Bromptons for me and my son some years ago. We both have long legs and decided to take the seatposts that came with the bikes and make them into telescopic seatpost. They are made of steel so they have thinner walls than aluminium seatposts. Therefor it was possible to fit another shorter seatpost innside.
badmother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 07:49 PM
  #63  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,121

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
The title of this thread should be "Looking for people to talk to"
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 09:02 PM
  #64  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,613

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Thanks for your advice.

Sorry if seems that I do not listen to people... That's not true. The fact is that I do read what every single person are saying but obviously as I am a new guy in this bike cene I want to understand about all the bike gear and their function.

Regarding my bike I like it a lot however yes it needs a new seatpost. But a longer seatpost will make the bike not so compact because the saddle will stand out when folded.

Regarding motors, I received lots of advice... Some said front motors would be better,others said mid motors would be the right choice and others said thay rear motors should the perfect fit to my Bike. So all this info together make me fell a bit confused of what to choose. The same to IGHs. Then the place where to buy this stuff.. from China? From EU or US?

Anyway, yesterday a friend told me to check the new invented British "Swytch" bike system that basically transform every bike into electric. It's on Indiegogo and it is a easy system that can be attached to any bike and it will turn all non ebikes to ebikes. I think this would be possibly a solution to my bike but I am still studying this possibility and do not disregard at all the comments I received here. As I said I am still studying what solution best meets my needs in all senses not disregarding bike weight and the financial investment.

In all if I forese thay nothing will work out I will follow your advice and sell my bike and buy a new one but this time an ebike.
Ok,...stop talking and LISTEN! Buy a LONGER SEATPOST!!! It makes THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 09:17 PM
  #65  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Ok,...stop talking and LISTEN! Buy a LONGER SEATPOST!!! It makes THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE!!!
Ok I will do that.
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 09:22 PM
  #66  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,613

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Ok I will do that.
Thank you,... Please post a picture and your opinion after you do.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 09:44 AM
  #67  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,965

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
So after you get a longer seatpost, lol, ride a bit before getting an electric motor. I would personally not buy swytch because the batteries are on the handlebar which is an awful place in terms of weight distribution and it is a front hub which is not going to get you up substantial hills, period. Front hubs are great for moving you quickly along flats and rolling hills; they are not good at climbing and riders often cause them to over-heat and self-destruct. If you want something light that can climb big hills without overheating and don't need constant power on, then a friction drive would work for you (like this: Shop - Pe-Drives). Otherwise, you need a mid-drive.
linberl is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:13 AM
  #68  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ok decided to sell my bike and buy a new one lighter this time. With a lighter bike and a mid drive motor I can have a bike with about 13 kg and that's good for me. The bike I bought weights about 13kg. The one I want to buy is about 9 kg.

But there a problem... The bike is in London and the seller wants cash on collection and no Paypal. Anyone know a service that can buy for me and then send the bike over to me?
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:20 AM
  #69  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 37,343

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5561 Post(s)
..work through a Brick & Mortar bike shop in London . that shop can charge your credit card..

& like a consignment sale they will charge a % .. of the total including packing and shipping.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:38 AM
  #70  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hi can you tell me if there's a website of a shop where to contact to?.. can't find that company name website..
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:46 AM
  #71  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 37,343

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5561 Post(s)
England or canada or usa. Lots of Londons..
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:49 AM
  #72  
Papaformigas
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 36

Bikes: Orbita Flex 16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ok but when I put in Google Brick & Mortar bike shop no website come out... Is there a name.of the shop??... I.dont know nothing about these shops.. sorry.
Papaformigas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:55 AM
  #73  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,613

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Papaformigas View Post
Ok but when I put in Google Brick & Mortar bike shop no website come out... Is there a name.of the shop??... I.dont know nothing about these shops.. sorry.
Brick & Mortar just means it's a walk in bike shop. GeeBus!!! Just type in "bike shops in England", "bike shops in the USA", etc.

Contact bfold to see if they ship internationally: www.bfold.com

Or see if nycewheels ships to your location: https://www.nycewheels.com/
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 12:07 PM
  #74  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,121

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
This thread is giving me brain damage 🤕
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 12:28 PM
  #75  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,613

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Brain damage? Tell me about it,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service