Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page > Folding bike as a touring bike?
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folding bike as a touring bike?

Reply

Old 05-16-18, 05:17 PM
  #51  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 1,800

Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I should think about that. On my folder I have a Sram Dual Drive with an eight speed cassette for 24 speeds, I used the Dual Drive because I can't fit a front derailleur. Before I got the Dual Drive, I tried a double crank but got tired of having a greasy finger to manually change gears, so I went back to a single when I bought the Dual Drive. But there have been a few times I wished I had wider gearing. I have a derailleur cage long enough that I could fit that double crank again.
Folks, is SDD plus a 11-36T in the back not more than enough gearing? I marvel at these posts that you want to couple SDD with a double up front. I had 19-113GI with a single up front before i sold it a few days ago...
Abu Mahendra is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 05:56 PM
  #52  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 4,689

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
Folks, is SDD plus a 11-36T in the back not more than enough gearing? I marvel at these posts that you want to couple SDD with a double up front. I had 19-113GI with a single up front before i sold it a few days ago...
My derailleur touring bikes have a low gear of 20.7 and 19.2 gear inches, my expedition bike with a Rohloff has a low gear of 16.5 gear inches. I have walked bikes up a lot of hills that were loaded down with camping gear, including the (non-folding) bike with 16.5 gear inches that is shown in the photo after I pushed it up a really tall and steep hill.

My 64 year old knees can't handle the hills that they could three or four decades ago.

Tourist in MSN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 06:16 PM
  #53  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 1,800

Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
i am not questioning your need for, let's set a number for the sake of discussion, 18GI. i question instead that one cannot get enough touring range with SDD and a single up front, avoding a long RD on a 406 wheel. What range does a 45T up front with a 11-36T cogset mounted on SDD afford? 18-109GI. You want 16GI at the bottom to match your Rohloff, with a 40T single up front, you get 16-96GI. Gorgeous touring range.

Now, if you are willing to chance a long RD to fit a double up front, why would you not.just use a 11-42T, 11-46T cogset instead?



Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
My derailleur touring bikes have a low gear of 20.7 and 19.2 gear inches, my expedition bike with a Rohloff has a low gear of 16.5 gear inches. I have walked bikes up a lot of hills that were loaded down with camping gear, including the (non-folding) bike with 16.5 gear inches that is shown in the photo after I pushed it up a really tall and steep hill.

My 64 year old knees can't handle the hills that they could three or four decades ago.

Abu Mahendra is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 07:30 PM
  #54  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 4,689

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
i am not questioning your need for, let's set a number for the sake of discussion, 18GI. i question instead that one cannot get enough touring range with SDD and a single up front, avoding a long RD on a 406 wheel. What range does a 45T up front with a 11-36T cogset mounted on SDD afford? 18-109GI. You want 16GI at the bottom to match your Rohloff, with a 40T single up front, you get 16-96GI. Gorgeous touring range.

Now, if you are willing to chance a long RD to fit a double up front, why would you not.just use a 11-42T, 11-46T cogset instead?
I have a 507 wheel on my folding bike, thus the dérailleur hangs a bit higher than a 406. I see no real need to switch to a 40 plus sprocket in the rear, I am running an 11/32 cassette in back with a single 39T chainring. I have a compact double in storage that I had on the bike before the Dual Drive, the existing derailleur would handle both the 11/32 cassette plus the compact double. I probably won't make this change, but I will keep the thought in the back of my mind in case I decide to use the folder on a trip with big hills.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 08:09 PM
  #55  
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Posts: 1,800

Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I have a 507 wheel on my folding bike, thus the dérailleur hangs a bit higher than a 406. I see no real need to switch to a 40 plus sprocket in the rear, I am running an 11/32 cassette in back with a single 39T chainring. I have a compact double in storage that I had on the bike before the Dual Drive, the existing derailleur would handle both the 11/32 cassette plus the compact double. I probably won't make this change, but I will keep the thought in the back of my mind in case I decide to use the folder on a trip with big hills.
Yeah, i just don't understand, that is, you are not explaining the thought process or rationale for a double up front when demonstrably, with a real example that can be replicated on a 507 wheel, i have shown that SDD with single chainring gives enough touring range. Unless 16-96GI is not wide enough for your touring needs? And when simpler rather than more complex is the name of the touring game.

I sold the SDD precisely because it had excess, unused range, and i was paying for that surplus in weight and complexity.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-16-18 at 08:27 PM.
Abu Mahendra is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-18, 11:54 AM
  #56  
larry_too
Dahon Mariner ?
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Virginia/DelMarVa
Posts: 16

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 26" Wheel 21 speed. Trek 830 and Series 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Almost able to participate!

Nine, I think
larry_too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-18, 12:04 PM
  #57  
larry_too
Dahon Mariner ?
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Virginia/DelMarVa
Posts: 16

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 26" Wheel 21 speed. Trek 830 and Series 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
At last, the majik ten, now I can participate.

A few questions from one new to serious folders. What is ment by cadence? I'm reading numbers like 100, 120, even 140, yet, try as I might, I'm unable to manage much over 70 RPM on the crank!!
I know that I'm out of shape but this is unloaded on a Dahon that even with 26" rubber, feels like a mountain bike with its 21 speeds.

Still trying to figure out which bike I have, it is labeled Mariner but has 26" wheels, a spring seat post, and 21 speeds.

I need to source those tiny allen wrench (socket head) bolts used to center the brakes.

Last edited by larry_too; 05-21-18 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
larry_too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-18, 06:17 PM
  #58  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 4,689

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Originally Posted by larry_too View Post
...

... What is ment by cadence?...

I need to source those tiny allen wrench (socket head) bolts used to center the brakes.
Cadence is the crank RPM. I usually pedal about 72 to 78 cadence on my derailleur fitted bikes. Some folks higher. With more time in the saddle your cadence will likely rise higher.

Most hardware stores like Ace or True Value have a wide selection of metric stainless steel bolts that take an allen wrench. Ask for assistance when you first arrive, but avoid going there on a busy day when all the sales staff are busy. You will of course need to know the size, if you do not know that bring one in with you. And the length that you want. Most rack bolts, water bottle cage bolts, fender mount bolts are M5 but the brake screws you mention could be any of several sizes so I can't say.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 05:28 PM
  #59  
larry_too
Dahon Mariner ?
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Virginia/DelMarVa
Posts: 16

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 26" Wheel 21 speed. Trek 830 and Series 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dahon???


Thanks,

OK, crank RPM = "cadence" but 120 to 140????? WOW!!

The tiny socket bolts are only about 2mm in diameter. They are used to vary the centering spring tension on the cross pull brakes on the Dahon.

BTW, which model do I have? Logo says Mariner but it has a 26" wheel. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to crop on this site.
larry_too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 09:13 AM
  #60  
mtb_addict
Senior Member
 
mtb_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Originally Posted by larry_too View Post
Thanks,
BTW, which model do I have? Logo says Mariner but it has a 26" wheel. Sorry, I haven't figured out how to crop on this site.
Looks like a Dahon Espresso.
mtb_addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 11:43 AM
  #61  
larry_too
Dahon Mariner ?
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Virginia/DelMarVa
Posts: 16

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 26" Wheel 21 speed. Trek 830 and Series 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That is closest I could find, the Espresso 20, but the Logo says Mariner. Was that the original name they used? I was told that the MSRP was around 700, years ago (I obtained as shown from Good Will so it has been around a while). Geared like a mtn bike, 21 speed, cross pull brakes, 2" road tires. Rides nice but a bit upright like my Trek 830. Even has a seat post with a spring inside for a bit of a bounce!

I need to find those tiny socket bolts they use to center the brakes, oh, and to true up the wheels, but otherwise, a bit of oil, a bit of wax, and air has it in nice shape. C&O here I come!

Last edited by larry_too; 05-24-18 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Claruty
larry_too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 11:51 AM
  #62  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 33,237

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
my beef is limited option for handlebar.

wouldnt want to go long distance on flat bar.
Ergon GR5 grip/ bar ends help make a straight bar very comfortable...
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 01:19 PM
  #63  
mtb_addict
Senior Member
 
mtb_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,191
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Originally Posted by larry_too View Post
Rides nice but a bit upright like my Trek 830.
Is the stem a normal stem? Or is it some proprietary thing?
mtb_addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 09:46 PM
  #64  
larry_too
Dahon Mariner ?
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Northern Virginia/DelMarVa
Posts: 16

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 26" Wheel 21 speed. Trek 830 and Series 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Is the stem a normal stem? Or is it some proprietary thing?
I think so. My second Dahon, much better than the first, a 3 speed with very small wheels that was very flexible, wondered all over the place!
I'll take a few more (detailed) pics when I get back north.
larry_too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 07:05 AM
  #65  
flashjack2
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use the Brompton for anything involving flights/trains not accepting bikes/camping, otherwise I use the Bianchi. This latter can carry a lot more, is more comfortable, and, of course, having 21 gears is both faster and more flexible, whereas the Brompton scores on convenience. It is by no means bad, just not as good.
flashjack2 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service