Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

10 facts about Dahon and why you shouldn't buy it

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

10 facts about Dahon and why you shouldn't buy it

Old 05-20-18, 06:28 AM
  #26  
phyko
Wheelnut
 
phyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 89

Bikes: Fuji feather, Dahon Boardwalk S1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
Dont buy a Dahon because they outsource to China? What bicycle company doesnt outsource to China?

You would have to boycott 99% of the industry. This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever thread on this forum, or any forum for that matter and doesn't deserve further reply.
I think I am done with bikeforums. Anytime anyone presents an opposing or different view, they get called troll or that the thread is dumb.

And I know that it is your opinion and you can have any opinion you want. But it seems to me like bikeforums doesnít like different opinions.

I actually dont agree with the OP that those are enough reasons for me to stay away from Dahon. I own a boardwalk and am quite happy with mine. I am looking to buy a Dahon Speed uno next. But I am actually happy that the OP posted that list because I didnít know some of them. That means that I can add that to the information I know about Dahon so I can make my own informed decision. If for example I didnít know that red meat increased cholesterol and the post was about ďreasons not to eat red meatĒ and on of the reasons is that it increases cholesterol. Would it be enough to make me stay away from red meat? No. I love red meat. But if in the future, I found out that I have high cholesterol, then I am glad that someone made a list of reasons not to eat red meat.
phyko is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 06:31 AM
  #27  
kidshibuya
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 247

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phyko View Post


I am not trying to change your mind. You can think whatever you want.

But since you implied I didn’t read the article.

yes I did read the articles I sent. That 1% rise that you are talking about is part of this quote “Sales of Volkswagen brand vehicles in the U.S. rose 1% in September, compared to the same month a year earlier, The brand badly trailed industry competitors, with overall industry sales up 16% for the month, according to Autodata Corp.”

they arent using the 1% rise to show that it was good. Quite the opposite. They are saying that sales took a hit because other people did a whole lot better. Like me saying I got an “F+“ on my quiz instead of the “F” I got last time, so I must be doing well. Yes, I improved. But if everyone else got As and Bs, so it actually that means I’m not doing as well.

Furthermore, “Volkswagen's emission violations came to light just after mid-September, and look to have affected Volkswagen sales for only the final third of the month.“

The word “affected Volkswagen sales” means, hmmmmm, I don’t know know, I think it means that sales were affected.

Just in case you didn’t get that consumers were affected by the scandal, the article continues to say, “What's more, consumer-sentiment surveys suggest that Volkswagen's image has suffered a serious blow.”

so you can continue to say that sales and consumer sentiment is not affected by scandals, but to me, those articles say that they do. Again, I am not trying to change your mind. You can think whatever you want. I am just trying to show another point of view and the evidence I use to make that view.




That's all good but the fact remains that sales increased and the company was always in profit. And that was after a huge scandal that pretty much every person on the planet heard about. Its a serious dent in the scandals take down business argument. And you don't want to bring the timing into it because for 2017 when everyone had time to digest the scandal and choose wisely guess what happened? VW doubled profits. I'd like my paycheck to be hit with scandals like that.
kidshibuya is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 09:43 AM
  #28  
phyko
Wheelnut
 
phyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 89

Bikes: Fuji feather, Dahon Boardwalk S1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya View Post
That's all good but the fact remains that sales increased and the company was always in profit. And that was after a huge scandal that pretty much every person on the planet heard about. Its a serious dent in the scandals take down business argument. And you don't want to bring the timing into it because for 2017 when everyone had time to digest the scandal and choose wisely guess what happened? VW doubled profits. I'd like my paycheck to be hit with scandals like that.
I think you are missing my point.

My only point (and nothing else) is that SOME consumers care about what a company does or what the boss does. That is all.

I am am not arguing that they canít make a profit ever. I am not arguing that VW didnít have a sales increase. I am not arguing that TWC had some money issues before the scandal. I am not arguing that VW is not profitable now or people like VW now. And I have never said that scandals take down companies. I Am not arguing that ALL consumers are affected. All I ever said is that some customers cared that there was a scandal and that scandals have an affect on a company.

Did vw sales increase 1%? Yes
did some customers stay away from vw because of the incident? Yes.

those things are not mutually exclusive.

All I ever tried to show is that some consumers were affected. Because you argued that ďUnless it effects the value of the product (or even if it does in VWs case) then consumers wont careĒ. And all Iím trying to show is that Some do care. Itís just another point of view.
phyko is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 09:22 PM
  #29  
GTA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
when you say 10 "facts", they should not be rumors or personal opinions.
GTA is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 09:26 PM
  #30  
Siu Blue Wind
Homey
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,446
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by phyko View Post
Again, I am not trying to change your mind. You can think whatever you want. I am just trying to show another point of view and the evidence I use to make that view.


Good point. It's always good to see different sides. I agree with you on this.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 10:26 PM
  #31  
wesgreen
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
Dont buy a Dahon because they outsource to China? What bicycle company doesnt outsource to China?

You would have to boycott 99% of the industry. This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever thread on this forum, or any forum for that matter and doesn't deserve further reply.
Yup, it's definitely up there. Tern must be getting desperate. I don't really like Dahon's current model range much, but after all these years they still seem to offer the most bang for the buck. If my Vitesse D3 ever dies I'll try to find another one.
wesgreen is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 10:35 PM
  #32  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,317

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I've liked every Dahon I've owned. I probably would've liked Terns, too, if they hadn't developed that nasty habit of snapping in half. But thanks for the silly list, Tern Troll.
Joe Remi is offline  
Old 05-20-18, 11:05 PM
  #33  
tds101 
55+ Club,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in New York, NY
Posts: 3,862

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 397 Posts
I own 3 Dahon folders, and 1 tern. I have no issues with buying another Dahon.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is online now  
Old 05-21-18, 12:48 AM
  #34  
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 765

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
Dont buy a Dahon because they outsource to China? What bicycle company doesnt outsource to China?

You would have to boycott 99% of the industry. This has to be the dumbest thread I have ever thread on this forum, or any forum for that matter and doesn't deserve further reply.
There is nothing wrong with outsourcing to China as you have stated most bike brands do it. The bike industry as a whole has many famous European, US and other international brands that do it. What makes me uncomfortable is many of these brands claim to be the manufacturer and often use their heritage of building bikes where the brand was developed to sell their current Chinese imports. Many of these bikes are completely generic and can be found under many other brands. Often not their more expensive models which may get more design input from the brand itself even if the bike is wholly made by a Chinese company. The retail price is often hugely above what the same bikes would sell with the Chinese brand on.

Dahon regularly outsource most bikes it seems to me. Some of the designs are not Dahon and some are. Even those Dahon designs that are can be wholly made by someone else.

You have their ford folding bikes which are just imports from a lower quality facility in Bangladesh.

Dahon?s Ford Bikes for Europe Launched at Taipei Cycle - Bike Europe

You have bikes from fuj-ta and flying pigeon and you have bikes with frames manufactured at their Chinese factory including frames and you have many other companies involved.

How on earth does Dahon represent a quality level? It isn't its a brand exercise of slapping the brand on as many bikes as possible and taking a financial cut of the profits. It's not a business model I respect and also its very difficult to support end customers when products are sourced from such a wide spectrum of factories. Dahon seem happy to constantly change their model line up.

I've seen a basic entry level Dahon and the frame welds looked poor, it was a pretty basic aluminium folding bike with freewheel for about 450 pounds here in the UK and likely wholly manufactured or assembled at maxcom in Bulgaria. Better quality bikes are available for half the price. The only possible reason you would buy that bike is because the Dahon brand is recognisable. It looks like Halfords have stopped selling Dahon's now as the bike isn't on their site anymore but had a review showing many of the quality issues with the bike. However that Dahon bike may not represent the quality of a Dahon bike sold in the US which could be sourced from a completely different company and those bikes might be good quality.

That's the thing with bike importers who are constantly looking to find the cheapest factory to use there is no consistency to quality. That's why I like companies like Giant, their bikes are actually made by Giant themselves, sounds ridiculous stating that as a novelty but that is the reality of the bike industry in 2018. Let's say you want to buy a fuji-ta bike, you know they represent pretty much the best quality vs price ratio and have one of the most advanced efficient bike factories in the world how do you find out which brand that is or the exact model that uses their frames and which is offering the best deal on a fuji-ta bike. I'm just making the point that it's actually quite difficult to make an informed choice when so many brands are simple importers. If we accepted Chinese brands more easily not only would it be easier to obtain a quality bike but it would be much cheaper. Our obsession with recognisable brands makes this difficult.
Bonzo Banana is offline  
Old 05-21-18, 02:26 AM
  #35  
diogo
Junior Member
 
diogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lisbon
Posts: 5

Bikes: foldables and minivelo's ;) but I prefer the bikes I build like my brand @velibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Meanwhile I'm selling beautifull Dahon's, Tern's, and my baby brand Veli bike 😄
Regards from Lisbon
diogo is offline  
Old 05-21-18, 07:16 PM
  #36  
MovingViolation
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 40

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
It's increadible father would sue son.
Well I don't think this instance was exactly a case of "Nothing personal, strictly business."

I've lived out East for a long time now. It looks like a typical case of <irony> Confucian Family Values, FTW </irony>. When things go bad, they really go bad.
MovingViolation is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
deejayollie
Folding Bikes
2
05-22-15 04:31 PM
FietsDontFailMe
Folding Bikes
2
05-09-14 03:14 PM
Mendes
Folding Bikes
28
11-12-12 08:25 AM
Jyyanks
Folding Bikes
96
01-23-12 04:25 PM
brakemeister
Folding Bikes
26
11-15-11 09:30 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.