Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed: Downtube vs Euromini vs ....?

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Advice Needed: Downtube vs Euromini vs ....?

Reply

Old 06-07-18, 08:37 AM
  #1  
snuga
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Advice Needed: Downtube vs Euromini vs ....?

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum and hope to get some advice on picking a folding bike.
I'm 5'8" 150lbs and have a budget of under 300 (before shipping). I plan to use the bike about 15-20 miles a week for my commute (to and from train station). The roads I ride on are very hilly and not great for bikers so I need something that can handle those conditions. My biggest requirement is that it be geared and lightweight (I have a regular bike that I currently use for commuting and I have a hard time carrying it up/down stairs at the train station)

I haven't had any luck using craigslist and to be honest, I'm weary of buying a used bike since I am an amateur rider and wouldn't feel comfortable evaluating the condition or repair needs of a used bike. I wouldn't know if I am getting ripped off or not.

My first choice is the Downtube Nova and my second choice is the Euromini Via. I am having a hard time comparing these two since I am not very familiar with bike specifications. Which would be a better choice and why? Is there another bike I'm missing? I've looked at Origami and Citizen and think they would be too heavy. I would love a Dahon or similar obviously, but those are out of my price range

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
snuga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 08:28 PM
  #2  
rishardh
Senior Member
 
rishardh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 429

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I am new to folding bikes too but I have been riding big bikes for a while and work on them. From a gearing tech perspective I would spend a tad more and go with a 8 speed bike because the hubs that hold the spockets behind are better in my opinion. Because of this I would go with the Euromini Urbano which is listed as $350. The Downtube Nova frame looks interesting because it has the front derailleur holder if you want to double the no of gears in the future. That said I have no experience with any of them. I am just going by specs on their website.
rishardh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 08:52 PM
  #3  
FolderBeholder
Senior Member
 
FolderBeholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Southern California
Posts: 181

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
We have 2 Urbanos, going on 15 mos now. Regularly ridden, darn near daily, and frequently for 20 miles at a time. Theyve far exceeded our expectations, and punch above their weight class. Fun to ride, reliable, and the company stands tall behind their products. We’ve recommended them to friends who have purchased them and we’ve even gifted some of them to some other family members.

The stock seats suck....but thats not uncommon among many (most?) off the shelf bikes.

Otherwise I love these bikes.
FolderBeholder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 07:26 AM
  #4  
snuga
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rishardh View Post
I am new to folding bikes too but I have been riding big bikes for a while and work on them. From a gearing tech perspective I would spend a tad more and go with a 8 speed bike because the hubs that hold the spockets behind are better in my opinion. Because of this I would go with the Euromini Urbano which is listed as $350. The Downtube Nova frame looks interesting because it has the front derailleur holder if you want to double the no of gears in the future. That said I have no experience with any of them. I am just going by specs on their website.
Thanks for the feedback! From what I've gathered stalking the forum it does look like the Nova has more upgrade capability than the Euromini bikes. That might be helpful down the road if I decide to go that route.
snuga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 07:27 AM
  #5  
snuga
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder View Post
We have 2 Urbanos, going on 15 mos now. Regularly ridden, darn near daily, and frequently for 20 miles at a time. Theyve far exceeded our expectations, and punch above their weight class. Fun to ride, reliable, and the company stands tall behind their products. Weve recommended them to friends who have purchased them and weve even gifted some of them to some other family members.

The stock seats suck....but thats not uncommon among many (most?) off the shelf bikes.

Otherwise I love these bikes.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed the bikes. Can I ask what made you choose that bike over the seemingly endless amount of options out there?
snuga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 07:43 AM
  #6  
FolderBeholder
Senior Member
 
FolderBeholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Southern California
Posts: 181

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by snuga View Post
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed the bikes. Can I ask what made you choose that bike over the seemingly endless amount of options out there?
I was attracted to the low weight (24#), the use of a name-brand (Shimano) drivetrain, lifetime frame warranty, and last but not least the 30 day return policy. Thats a bold offer and once we received the bikes and saw/felt the build quality one which never again crossed our minds.
FolderBeholder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 10:56 AM
  #7  
snuga
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks so much! All great things to consider
snuga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 03:10 PM
  #8  
Doc_Wui
Senior Member
 
Doc_Wui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 601

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I have a Nova which I am happy with. Fun to ride. Don't feel a need to add front derailleur, but I did want higher gearing..

I believe Nova's front chain wheel is 46T. While the rear is not listed. I recall the smallest gear on the back was 14T. I took it off and replaced it with a DNP 38/11T, If you want to go a little faster, the Urbano or the Via would do with their 48T front and 11T rear.

Fenders are needed for rainy day commuting too, and they come on the Via.

I'd still pick the Nova today. It comes in Yellow.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 06-15-18 at 03:14 PM.
Doc_Wui is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 04:57 AM
  #9  
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 617

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui View Post
I have a Nova which I am happy with. Fun to ride. Don't feel a need to add front derailleur, but I did want higher gearing..

I believe Nova's front chain wheel is 46T. While the rear is not listed. I recall the smallest gear on the back was 14T. I took it off and replaced it with a DNP 38/11T, If you want to go a little faster, the Urbano or the Via would do with their 48T front and 11T rear.

Fenders are needed for rainy day commuting too, and they come on the Via.

I'd still pick the Nova today. It comes in Yellow.
I remember reading somewhere a person who had bought a road bike with 16 gears was having a lot of problems with shifting then after much adjustment getting it right found his freehub had failed then on examining the bike discovered he didn't have a freehub at all it was a DNP 8 speed freewheel. He'd assumed being 16 speed the rear wheel had a freehub. I don't think DNP freewheels are particularly strong and probably better for light duty or light rider use. Getting a freehub based folding bike like the Urbano would be a stronger and more reliable solution for most people. It would also give you a wide choice of 8 speed cassettes to alter gearing ratio's/inches etc to your own requirements. The reason Shimano freewheels start with a smaller 14 or 13 tooth cog is because of the weaker ratcheting mechanism and smaller pawls compared to most freehubs. They are trying to limit the force applied to freewheel mechanism where as its common to have a small 11 tooth cog for a cassette as freehubs are much stronger. I'm sure you can get away with a 11t freewheel cog most of the time but it isn't ideal or good engineering.
Bonzo Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service