Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Seatpost for bike

Old 11-01-18, 03:08 AM
  #26  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i got the new seatpost at last and it was the right size but how to tighten this quick release thing properly. I tried to manually tighten and then flick the thing over but it needs to be more tight. I am not very strong due to disability. Its not the type you use an allen key. Should i just get the other type so this is not an issue in the future? as u can see the last time i tried to tighten this i ruined a bit of the teeth around the nut or whatever it is called

Last edited by rapattack; 11-01-18 at 03:12 AM. Reason: more info
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 03:12 AM
  #27  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what it looks like on the bike and with saddle. Altho not fully extended
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-04-18, 07:25 PM
  #28  
Nightdiver
7ft of Cet-Bak
 
Nightdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Out and about
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't get the quick release tight enough, but it worked okay with the old seatpost, then it probably means that your new seatpost isn't actually the correct size. Just 0.2 mm difference in diameter can make the post fit or not fit.
Nightdiver is offline  
Old 11-04-18, 11:04 PM
  #29  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
If you can't get the quick release tight enough, but it worked okay with the old seatpost, then it probably means that your new seatpost isn't actually the correct size. Just 0.2 mm difference in diameter can make the post fit or not fit.
Its more likely to be me as the issue. Just need to know what tool i should use. There was no old seatpost as this is a object that was thrown away. No former seatpost
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-04-18, 11:47 PM
  #30  
Nightdiver
7ft of Cet-Bak
 
Nightdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Out and about
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't require a tool. That looks to be a knurled knob intended for finger tightening. Is it able to be turned in either direction? If not it may be seized. If so, then I'd say again that your post may not be the correct diameter. You're tightening before you close the QR lever right?
Nightdiver is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 06:55 AM
  #31  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
Shouldn't require a tool. That looks to be a knurled knob intended for finger tightening. Is it able to be turned in either direction? If not it may be seized. If so, then I'd say again that your post may not be the correct diameter. You're tightening before you close the QR lever right?
oh i c ...i might replace it then. I just am very weak. yes it turns both ways. yeah no the size is good. Very little space. I dont know how to explain but its good. Yes tightening before closing. Are these things easy to get on the net...might c what aliexpress and ebay have. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=seatpost+r...s-296184-1.jpg

Last edited by rapattack; 11-06-18 at 07:01 AM. Reason: more info
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 09:40 AM
  #32  
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Posts: 410

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you cannot get the QR to close properly you can always try another QR. Or....On my Xootr Swift the seat post has 2 QRs and the handle post another. Since I rarely fold it I took the QRs to a hardware store and bought some high quality allen bolts and some nylock nuts, using the QRs to make sure of length and diameter. They never slip.Takes an Allen wrench and a 12 mm wrench to adjust, though.
12boy is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 09:49 AM
  #33  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy View Post
If you cannot get the QR to close properly you can always try another QR. Or....On my Xootr Swift the seat post has 2 QRs and the handle post another. Since I rarely fold it I took the QRs to a hardware store and bought some high quality allen bolts and some nylock nuts, using the QRs to make sure of length and diameter. They never slip.Takes an Allen wrench and a 12 mm wrench to adjust, though.
Oh yes that would work way better. Thanks for that idea
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 04:11 PM
  #34  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
Brompton Penta clip is so much better .. now offered in black



& silver


Last edited by fietsbob; 11-06-18 at 04:14 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-07-18, 10:01 AM
  #35  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Brompton Penta clip is so much better .. now offered in black



& silver

Oh thats not what i am after. The one i am after is further down...not under the seat
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-07-18, 10:31 AM
  #36  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
I'm commenting on the cheap steel one on top.



at the bottom,
seat post band clamp QR, like those on wheels
if you get one with an internal cam, of steel , you can apply more force,
than you can with what you show, an external eccentric of aluminum..






...

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-07-18 at 10:37 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 05:14 AM
  #37  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I'm commenting on the cheap steel one on top.



at the bottom,
seat post band clamp QR, like those on wheels
if you get one with an internal cam, of steel , you can apply more force,
than you can with what you show, an external eccentric of aluminum..






...
Which cheap steel one at the top? sorry you lost me. i dont have a brompton so i dont know it. Sorry i am still lost
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 06:55 AM
  #38  
Tamiya
Senior Member
 
Tamiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: AU, MY, SG & ZZZzzz...
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI mini folders like DaHon have a 2-piece TELESCOPIC seatpost - 2 tubes not 1, 2 clamps.

Took my vintage DaBike out today, dammit broke a lever on seatpost.
Tamiya is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 06:57 AM
  #39  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya View Post
FYI mini folders like DaHon have a 2-piece TELESCOPIC seatpost - 2 tubes not 1, 2 clamps.

Took my vintage DaBike out today, dammit broke a lever on seatpost.
Oh ok i didnt know that. Ouch hope you can fix that
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-09-18, 11:45 AM
  #40  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
Which cheap steel one at the top? sorry you lost me. i dont have a brompton so i dont know it. Sorry i am still lost
Saddle clip, to fit a saddle on a typical tubular seat post's 7/8" upper portion..
(a universal dimension, Its the seat post tube's lower diameter that differs)

the multi-plate friction holds securely and allows very fine tuning of saddle angle..
and its light..


....
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 04:07 AM
  #41  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Saddle clip, to fit a saddle on a typical tubular seat post's 7/8" upper portion..
(a universal dimension, Its the seat post tube's lower diameter that differs)

the multi-plate friction holds securely and allows very fine tuning of saddle angle..
and its light..


....
oh ok i sort of understand but not how it relates to my situation. What 'lower dimension'? do you mean the bottom of the seat post? ok not sure what a multi-plate....' is but i think you mean the thing that holds the saddle to the seatpost? oh yes yes the angle sure i get that...light? do you mean if someone has a light on the back of the seatpost? Of which i dont. But how does this relate to my situation tho?
rapattack is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 11:38 AM
  #42  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
As an example; my Brompton steel seat post is 1.25" throughout it;s length,
but is reduced to 7/8" at the very top , where the saddle clip goes..

Capisce?

'light' as in weight . .. always a first or 2nd question about bikes...




...
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 08:45 AM
  #43  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
As an example; my Brompton steel seat post is 1.25" throughout it;s length,
but is reduced to 7/8" at the very top , where the saddle clip goes..

Capisce?

'light' as in weight . .. always a first or 2nd question about bikes...




...
so sorry been so busy forgot to come back. I am bit lost sorry so i might leave this question. I think i would have to see what your saying. Ok lightweight
rapattack is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 11:25 AM
  #44  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
A Brompton seat post , showing 2 outside diameters ...

fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-01-18, 11:29 AM
  #45  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
also in Titanium (Aftermarket out of Asia)

fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 07:43 AM
  #46  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
A Brompton seat post , showing 2 outside diameters ...

yup ok...sorry i still am lost as to what this as to do with
rapattack is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 07:43 AM
  #47  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
also in Titanium (Aftermarket out of Asia)

Whats this about?
rapattack is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 10:51 AM
  #48  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,564

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6739 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 157 Times in 133 Posts
Are they not Pretty?

top; 22,2mm,* , shaft; 31.75mm or 7/8" & 1.25"..

all plain tube saddle clips are 7/8" so any stepped diameter tubular seat post will be 7/8"

though the remaining shaft diameter differs..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 12-03-18, 05:29 AM
  #49  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Are they not Pretty?

top; 22,2mm,* , shaft; 31.75mm or 7/8" & 1.25"..

all plain tube saddle clips are 7/8" so any stepped diameter tubular seat post will be 7/8"

though the remaining shaft diameter differs..
they are ok but not the right size for me. I am not really into pretty colours maybe. sorry i dont understand anything about the dimensions. I am really really really lost what this is about
rapattack is offline  
Old 12-08-18, 05:36 AM
  #50  
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 629

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news is i have it all sorted now. I also had the saddle on wrong so just looked on youtube. I have tightened it up properly
rapattack is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wobbooze
General Cycling Discussion
26
02-08-13 04:13 PM
timmyquest
Great Lakes
16
02-17-09 05:27 AM
crtreedude
Foo
5
05-10-08 09:27 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.