Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help Me Decide? Citizen, Zizzo, Dahon, Downtube?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Help Me Decide? Citizen, Zizzo, Dahon, Downtube?

Old 02-24-19, 05:50 PM
  #1  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Me Decide? Citizen, Zizzo, Dahon, Downtube?

I was dead set on a Citizen Tokyo or Miami before discovering this forum and now, after seeing so many options, I'm ambivalent. Honestly, I ADORE their aesthetics, but I'm not convinced that their bikes are the best value. This will be my first folder and I want it to be fairly lightweight, able to fit into my small car and not so cumbersome that it will be difficult to travel with (I plan to bring it on a couple of international flights - thankfully bikes just count as one piece of luggage with this airline). My budget is around $300. Gears aren't a huge deal for me, as I used to do 50 mile trips on my single speed (albeit 26" wheels) in a fairly hilly region and I'm not above walking my bike up a hill, haha. I want something that I can travel with and otherwise keep in my car for daily joy riding at parks, etc. Either 16" or 20" wheels are ideal, nothing bigger. I'm only 5'2", so smaller wheels and small frames aren't so bad!

I've also been reading into the Euromini Zizzo Urbano, Dahon Vybe (found used for $250), Downtube Nova and I have read some good things about Origami bikes here as well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or otherwise, could recommend a bike in this price range that they swear by.

I appreciate your help and advice. Thank you.

Last edited by MissMarina; 02-24-19 at 06:09 PM.
MissMarina is offline  
Old 02-24-19, 06:16 PM
  #2  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,436
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Start searching and more importantly riding bikes for sale in you area. Ride is more important than the brand name. $300 new is an entry level bike so used will buy you more. Computer shopping is wasted on a bicycle and nothing is better than riding a bike first. If you try 10 1 or 2 will be better than all the rest even if they are all priced the same. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Old 02-24-19, 06:45 PM
  #3  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
Start searching and more importantly riding bikes for sale in you area. Ride is more important than the brand name. $300 new is an entry level bike so used will buy you more. Computer shopping is wasted on a bicycle and nothing is better than riding a bike first. If you try 10 1 or 2 will be better than all the rest even if they are all priced the same. Roger
So true. I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for in my area; in fact, many of the shops I've been to don't even carry folding bikes and if they do they're towards the higher end of the price point spectrum. Definitely going to keep my eye out!
MissMarina is offline  
Old 02-24-19, 07:04 PM
  #4  
kayakindude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 265

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
The Via is a beautiful looking bike. I have it for my daughter and only took it out for a fine tuning spin. I would put it on par with the Vybe and Urbano, but nicer looking.



The Vybe is my workhorse and I've been beating on it for 2 years without issue.

kayakindude is offline  
Old 02-24-19, 07:09 PM
  #5  
kayakindude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 265

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I think you can't go wrong with either. The Vybe has mounts on the headset for a bag carrier. Makes a huge difference when commuting. It has a freewheel that is a concern to some but not for me. These are entry level bikes that will be fun to ride and practical.

Hope that helps.
kayakindude is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 12:06 AM
  #6  
FolderBeholder
Senior Member
 
FolderBeholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Southern California
Posts: 285

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I am a longtime EuroMini (Zizzo) owner X 2 units. In fact I can be found in their gallery in several pictures in their “ADventures” section on rides from Joshua Tree to the beaches of So-Cal.

We have and continue to be VERY happy with these Urbanos, and they have been as close to perfect,( especially considering their modest price points), as any product I have owned. What few issues I’ve had, Tony and the tech folks there have resolved quickly and cheerfully.

I have recommended these to friends, and purchased some as gifts for family members.

These bikes are just as tight and precise now as they were when new. We have over 1,500 miles on each of them.

Thats my real-world experience with the bikes and the company.

Last edited by FolderBeholder; 02-25-19 at 12:12 AM.
FolderBeholder is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 12:36 AM
  #7  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude View Post
The Via is a beautiful looking bike. I have it for my daughter and only took it out for a fine tuning spin. I would put it on par with the Vybe and Urbano, but nicer looking.

The Vybe is my workhorse and I've been beating on it for 2 years without issue.
I'm glad to hear the Via compares to the Vybe and Urbano, especially when it comes at a much lower price point brand new. I've only just heard of Euromini, so your positive feedback is reassuring. Build quality is so important and it's so difficult to gauge online. Thank you!
MissMarina is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 12:42 AM
  #8  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder View Post
I am a longtime EuroMini (Zizzo) owner X 2 units. In fact I can be found in their gallery in several pictures in their “ADventures” section on rides from Joshua Tree to the beaches of So-Cal.

We have and continue to be VERY happy with these Urbanos, and they have been as close to perfect,( especially considering their modest price points), as any product I have owned. What few issues I’ve had, Tony and the tech folks there have resolved quickly and cheerfully.

I have recommended these to friends, and purchased some as gifts for family members.

These bikes are just as tight and precise now as they were when new. We have over 1,500 miles on each of them.

Thats my real-world experience with the bikes and the company.
Thank you! I'm really leaning towards the Urbano | Liberte (second-hand) right now and it's always super reassuring to hear from someone who is actively using one. It's also good to know that the company stands behind their bikes. I baby my bikes, but intend to use them heavily and travel frequently. Always good to know they can hold up!
MissMarina is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 12:46 AM
  #9  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude View Post
I think you can't go wrong with either. The Vybe has mounts on the headset for a bag carrier. Makes a huge difference when commuting. It has a freewheel that is a concern to some but not for me. These are entry level bikes that will be fun to ride and practical.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much! Yea, they all do seem like great bikes and the Vybe definitely stands out.
MissMarina is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 09:59 AM
  #10  
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,009

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MissMarina View Post
I was dead set on a Citizen Tokyo or Miami before discovering this forum and now, after seeing so many options, I'm ambivalent. Honestly, I ADORE their aesthetics, but I'm not convinced that their bikes are the best value. This will be my first folder and I want it to be fairly lightweight, able to fit into my small car and not so cumbersome that it will be difficult to travel with (I plan to bring it on a couple of international flights - thankfully bikes just count as one piece of luggage with this airline). My budget is around $300. Gears aren't a huge deal for me, as I used to do 50 mile trips on my single speed (albeit 26" wheels) in a fairly hilly region and I'm not above walking my bike up a hill, haha. I want something that I can travel with and otherwise keep in my car for daily joy riding at parks, etc. Either 16" or 20" wheels are ideal, nothing bigger. I'm only 5'2", so smaller wheels and small frames aren't so bad!

I've also been reading into the Euromini Zizzo Urbano, Dahon Vybe (found used for $250), Downtube Nova and I have read some good things about Origami bikes here as well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these or otherwise, could recommend a bike in this price range that they swear by.

I appreciate your help and advice. Thank you.
I am happy to answer any questions that you have on Origami.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 05:09 AM
  #11  
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Merry Old England
Posts: 736

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MissMarina View Post
Thank you! I'm really leaning towards the Urbano | Liberte (second-hand) right now and it's always super reassuring to hear from someone who is actively using one. It's also good to know that the company stands behind their bikes. I baby my bikes, but intend to use them heavily and travel frequently. Always good to know they can hold up!
I think if you focus on the quality of components you are getting and the warranty and weight limits of the frame and the price point of the bikes it's difficult to argue against the Urbano or Liberte.
Bonzo Banana is offline  
Old 03-01-19, 07:39 PM
  #12  
mirfi
Senior Member
 
mirfi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 343

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Miss Marina,


It may take a few bikes before you find one you like. Check out Craigslist and test ride. Spend under $100 to find what you like. I gave my my 70 year old 5'1" sister-in-law a 20+ year old Dahon Boardwalk and she's been riding it nearly everyday for three years. Those older italian folders are nice also. Talk, test, ride with fellow folding bike owners near you. We LOVE to show off our bikes.

And watch out for one thing that is universal on all new under $500 derailleur bikes. You will test ride first!! They are geared way, way, way too low. And you will be pedaling like crazy to keep up with people jogging near you. You want the high gear above 80 gear inches.


BTW, I can vouch for DownTube, a good quality bike, but go for the internal geared model. I have an Urbana and I opened a thread on the review.


Good luck and welcome to the club.
mirfi is offline  
Old 03-01-19, 08:22 PM
  #13  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,874

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 92 Posts
OP - I got this emailed today, maybe it can help you out: ZiZZO Bikes March Sale!
Take





10% OFF



The ZiZZO URBANO Bike



PROMO CODE: BOUNCE2019
SHOP NOW!
linberl is offline  
Old 03-02-19, 04:19 PM
  #14  
watcom
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect timing to check this forum. I am in the same situation looking for a folder. Old mountain bike needs to retire from 1994. Too bad about NYCe I at the end of Hudson Line and was going to run down to try a few bikes. EuroMini has been getting more attention than Citizen Miami for me but Citizen been in it longer it seems.

MissMarina Thanks for posting great info all.
watcom is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 01:56 PM
  #15  
MissMarina
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
MissMarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urbano

Since the coupon code came up, I think I'll be going with the Urbano! Great timing. None of the other options stood out to me in terms of size, functionality, warranty and value the way that the Urbano did. It seems that a lot of people have no problem fitting it into a suitcase with a little disassembly and that's a big factor for me.

I just wish they came in colors other than black and red. I love the citizen Miami's aesthetic, but it's way heavier and much larger when folded (a 35" would never fit in my VW Beetle trunk, haha). I wish Euromini would come out with some colors other than red and black, but until they do... at least the black is snazzy!

Thank you all for your help!Schedule
MissMarina is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 04:21 PM
  #16  
FolderBeholder
Senior Member
 
FolderBeholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Inland Southern California
Posts: 285

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MissMarina View Post
Since the coupon code came up, I think I'll be going with the Urbano! Great timing. None of the other options stood out to me in terms of size, functionality, warranty and value the way that the Urbano did. It seems that a lot of people have no problem fitting it into a suitcase with a little disassembly and that's a big factor for me.

I just wish they came in colors other than black and red. I love the citizen Miami's aesthetic, but it's way heavier and much larger when folded (a 35" would never fit in my VW Beetle trunk, haha). I wish Euromini would come out with some colors other than red and black, but until they do... at least the black is snazzy!

Thank you all for your help!Schedule
I'm certain you'll enjoy it....we still adore our 2 EuroMini Urbanos almost 2 years in.

Congratulations,
FolderBeholder is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 04:58 PM
  #17  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,874

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 92 Posts
Glad the coupon helped. FWIW, if I had not fallen into a great deal on a barely used Dahon Mu Uno, I would have purchased a Zizzo (that's how I got on their mailing list). And, also fwiw, they were incredibly helpful and responsive. I live a short Bart ride away from their HQ and they offered test rides, and free assembled pick up there and free return there if I didn't like it. Darned good service!!! Oh - and btw, a black bike is like a little black dress......you can accessorize in any colors you want =). Get yourself some new grips and bell and bags in a color you like and you will see how versatile it can be. Get tired of the colors, just change the accessories. Much harder to do when the frame is painted a color.
linberl is offline  
Old 03-04-19, 11:08 PM
  #18  
bikebikebike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 252

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
12 years on a downtube lX NS
Love it. Great price on his stuff, and good value on the difference
bikebikebike is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
smellycat22
Folding Bikes
18
06-24-16 11:12 AM
toasterburn
Folding Bikes
43
07-11-13 04:22 PM
saltavenger
Folding Bikes
32
08-12-11 07:03 AM
trider
Folding Bikes
56
12-11-09 08:57 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.