Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

162mm plain-gauge spoke?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

162mm plain-gauge spoke?

Old 03-20-20, 11:03 AM
  #1  
timo888
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timo888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Near the Twelve Mile Circle in Pennsylvania
Posts: 689

Bikes: Xootr Swift. Birdy BD-1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
162mm plain-gauge spoke?

Broken spoke on rear wheel of my Birdy BD-1. It is 162mm from tip of the thread to the turn (see pic). Haven't found this size anywhere online. Suggestions appreciated.

broken Birdy BD-1 rear wheel spoke
timo888 is offline  
Old 03-20-20, 12:33 PM
  #2  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...ash=item35f89d. Not sure I copied the full ad but a simple search will find it and were about $10. There were a bunch of ads. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 03-21-20 at 07:14 AM.
rhenning is offline  
Old 03-21-20, 06:25 AM
  #3  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,565

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 138 Times in 111 Posts
Contact your local bike shops and ask if any have a spoke threading machine. I used to buy all my spokes for new wheel builds from a local shop that cut my spokes and threaded them while I waited, but that shop moved.

Phil spoke threading machines are about $5000 USD, so most shops do not have them, but it never hurts to call and ask. If one does, you could get a few spares while you are there.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 07:09 AM
  #4  
timo888
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timo888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Near the Twelve Mile Circle in Pennsylvania
Posts: 689

Bikes: Xootr Swift. Birdy BD-1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...ash=item35f89d. Not sure I copied the full ad but a simple search will find it and were about $10. There were a bunch of ads. Roger
Thanks! I must have advance-searched at least a dozen times on eBay for "162mm spokes" and that listing did not come up! Used the BIN. I've also found some listings that don't mention the particular size but let you choose the size from a dropdown list.
timo888 is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 07:18 AM
  #5  
timo888
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timo888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Near the Twelve Mile Circle in Pennsylvania
Posts: 689

Bikes: Xootr Swift. Birdy BD-1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Contact your local bike shops and ask if any have a spoke threading machine. I used to buy all my spokes for new wheel builds from a local shop that cut my spokes and threaded them while I waited, but that shop moved.

Phil spoke threading machines are about $5000 USD, so most shops do not have them, but it never hurts to call and ask. If one does, you could get a few spares while you are there.
My LBS refuses to sell any repair parts to the general public. You want to fix something? Bring us your bike and we'll fix it for you. I suppose they have to do that to stay in business...
timo888 is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 07:40 AM
  #6  
kayakindude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 228

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
And that would make me refuse to do business with said LBS.

I got whacked 80 bucks to repair a broken spoke (thanks TSA). Now I repair my own. There is something really satisfying about fixing a messed up rim. Two other spokes on different bikes went last season (to be fair our tandem was from a collision), so well worth the investment.

$60

This tool on Amazon looks like it could do the trick if you have trouble finding the correct length in the future.

Last edited by kayakindude; 03-22-20 at 07:50 AM.
kayakindude is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 03:55 PM
  #7  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,565

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 138 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude View Post
And that would make me refuse to do business with said LBS.

I got whacked 80 bucks to repair a broken spoke (thanks TSA). Now I repair my own. There is something really satisfying about fixing a messed up rim. Two other spokes on different bikes went last season (to be fair our tandem was from a collision), so well worth the investment.

$60

This tool on Amazon looks like it could do the trick if you have trouble finding the correct length in the future.
Thanks for posting, I was unaware that you could buy one for less than 2 percent of the cost of a Phil spoke threading machine.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 03-22-20, 04:10 PM
  #8  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,565

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 138 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by timo888 View Post
My LBS refuses to sell any repair parts to the general public. You want to fix something? Bring us your bike and we'll fix it for you. I suppose they have to do that to stay in business...
The place that works on my truck has that rule, but I have never heard of a bike shop that will not sell supplies. But I generally only look for parts and supplies at bike shops in larger cities.
Tourist in MSN is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.