Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

HOTNESS!!! 20" Custom Brompton,...

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

HOTNESS!!! 20" Custom Brompton,...

Old 08-07-20, 09:35 AM
  #1  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
HOTNESS!!! 20" Custom Brompton,...



__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 08-08-20 at 06:03 PM.
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 08-07-20, 11:53 AM
  #2  
ImplodingVoice
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Link is unsecure / can't load web site.
Who modified, or put this bike together?
Thanks for sharing.
ImplodingVoice is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 06:58 PM
  #3  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,059

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 109 Posts
Not sure here. Brompton has a wheelbase of 104.5cm, within the bracket for a full size bikes. Folders typically have a shorter wheelbase giving rise to a squirrelly handling. Now this 20" 'Brompton' seems to have a wheelbase of the order of 118cm, there to squeeze in the 20" into the folded size. This is well beyond the bracket employed for full size bikes, presumably resulting in a klutzy sluggish handling.
2_i is offline  
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-08-20, 03:27 PM
  #4  
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,578
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
No it is not repaired. Roger
rhenning is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 06:05 PM
  #5  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite View Post
I just removed the links,...apparently it's considered unsafe for no real reason.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 06:59 PM
  #6  
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
they discrminate against non usa website apparently.

1. Internet search for the website name
2. Go to forum, page 23, Very Big Edition post

Last edited by BikeLite; 08-08-20 at 07:03 PM.
BikeLite is offline  
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 08-09-20, 11:14 AM
  #7  
ttakata73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok: hottest average temperature :(
Posts: 628

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems a long reach to the handlebars. Good for tall people but guessing by the seat angle that the rider is not tall.
ttakata73 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 09:10 PM
  #8  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 823 Posts
Stock Brompton. now, is about a 24" virtual top tube.. so, yea, that guy must be rather tall ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-10-20, 04:18 AM
  #9  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Built by the famous Juliane Neuß.

"The wheel is a project for a rather large customer. " (per Google Translate)

Winfried is offline  
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-10-20, 12:14 PM
  #10  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 823 Posts
Ah She (Juliane Neuß)
. of the Brompton recumbent Kit.
{My computer locked up using that link, so caution advised}




fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-12-20, 05:47 PM
  #11  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Ah She (Juliane Neuß)
. of the Brompton recumbent Kit.
{My computer locked up using that link, so caution advised}




The problem is there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with that link. I can easily access it from another site (where I saw it in the first place). Totally ridiculous.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 03:00 AM
  #12  
gilesa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
The problem is there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with that link. I can easily access it from another site (where I saw it in the first place). Totally ridiculous.
My Firefox browser reports "Error code: SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE" for the SSL certificate. Other browsers may be less explicit, but that seems like a real problem to me.

Edit: that was the forum link. The one directly above (for Neuss) shows:

Web sites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for www.junik-hpv.de. The certificate is only valid for chronos.space4rent.de.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Last edited by gilesa; 08-14-20 at 03:04 AM.
gilesa is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 06:17 AM
  #13  
Blackstrida_A_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna
Posts: 101

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Well...perhaps are the certificates not valid for the wrong spelling of the page address (with https: )?

What do your browsers tell you once the "s" was removed from the links (https: )?

Edit: Obviously, it is a forum "feature" - the software will add automatically an "s" after recognizing the letters h t t p and there is no way to avoid that.

Last edited by Blackstrida_A_; 08-15-20 at 01:56 AM.
Blackstrida_A_ is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 11:22 AM
  #14  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by gilesa View Post
My Firefox browser reports "Error code: SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE" for the SSL certificate. Other browsers may be less explicit, but that seems like a real problem to me.

Edit: that was the forum link. The one directly above (for Neuss) shows:

Web sites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for Human Power Vehicles | Spezialfahrräder. The certificate is only valid for chronos.space4rent.de.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
When I used the link DIRECTLY FROM the UK forum where I saw the post I had no issues. Apparently it worked fine on Chrome, Edge, AND FIREFOX. Somehow the link is being modified when I post it, and it's no longer a valid, secure link. The one thing noted in FF is that the forum link isn't secure apparently. Here's the post in Cycle Chat

Now, it wasn't necessary to actually quote me, so can you not do it again,...unless you manage to find a way to share the link WITHOUT having it become invalid.



__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 08-14-20 at 11:34 AM.
tds101 is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 11:23 AM
  #15  
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
take the s off https and the website works..lmao
BikeLite is offline  
Old 08-14-20, 12:03 PM
  #16  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite View Post
take the s off https and the website works..lmao
GOT IT!!! But, if you look at the "copy and paste" link, it's http, NOT https. It's just not being allowed. No biggie,... I love the Mega Brommie all the same. It just might be too big for me (I believe it's custom designed for a rider who's WAYYYY over 6' tall, and I'm 5'11"), but it still looks AMAZING!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 08-14-20 at 12:07 PM.
tds101 is offline  
Old 11-27-20, 07:52 PM
  #17  
Nyah
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 389

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, Konacado ('20 Kona Sutra) and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 86 Times in 67 Posts

There's no reason that this bicycle couldn't be made
with a shorter toptube. Look how, in folded-mode,
the toptube of the 20" version is sticking out beyond the rear
wheel and compare it to where the TT of the 16" version ends.
The only reason that I can see for the extra length is to
accommodate the tall owner, not because the Brompton fold
system requires it.

If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please explain why. I don't own
a Brompton, have never even seen one in person.
Nyah is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 01:49 PM
  #18  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
There's no reason that this bicycle couldn't be made
with a shorter toptube. Look how, in folded-mode,
the toptube of the 20" version is sticking out beyond the rear
wheel and compare it to where the TT of the 16" version ends.
The only reason that I can see for the extra length is to
accommodate the tall owner, not because the Brompton fold
system requires it.

If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please explain why. I don't own
a Brompton, have never even seen one in person.
If you would have read all the comments, etc, you'd see that it's a custom build for a "rather large" rider. That could be tall, big & tall, etc.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 10:56 PM
  #19  
Nyah
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 389

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, Konacado ('20 Kona Sutra) and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 86 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
If you would have read all the comments, etc, you'd see that it's a custom build for a "rather large" rider. That could be tall, big & tall, etc.
You're confused. In my post, I acknowledged that the bicycle owner is tall. My post was addressing where someone implied that a 20" bicycle with the folding system that Brompton uses, would need to have an extra large frame.

Originally Posted by 2_i
Not sure here. Brompton has a wheelbase of 104.5cm, within the bracket for a full size bikes. Folders typically have a shorter wheelbase giving rise to a squirrelly handling. Now this 20" 'Brompton' seems to have a wheelbase of the order of 118cm, there to squeeze in the 20" into the folded size. This is well beyond the bracket employed for full size bikes, presumably resulting in a klutzy sluggish handling.
There's no reason that this bicycle couldn't be made
with a shorter toptube. Look how, in folded-mode,
the toptube of the 20" version is sticking out beyond the rear
wheel and compare it to where the TT of the 16" version ends.
The only reason that I can see for the extra length is to
accommodate the tall owner, not because the Brompton fold
system requires it.

If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please explain why. I don't own
a Brompton, have never even seen one in person.
Nyah is offline  
Old 11-29-20, 11:34 PM
  #20  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,059

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
There's no reason that this bicycle couldn't be made
with a shorter toptube. Look how, in folded-mode,
the toptube of the 20" version is sticking out beyond the rear
wheel and compare it to where the TT of the 16" version ends.
The only reason that I can see for the extra length is to
accommodate the tall owner, not because the Brompton fold
system requires it.

If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please explain why. I don't own
a Brompton, have never even seen one in person.
The tolerances for having the bike still fold like a Brompton are very tight. The hook off the front wheel must grab the chainstay behind the pusher. To the extent that I can tell, the particular wheelbase is the shortest you can afford for that with the 20" wheels. For full-size bikes and most manufacturers the wheelbase changes very little with bike size. If you want, you can email Juliane and ask. Obviously if you want to build a bike from scratch, you can do whatever you want, but history has not brought in, so far, anything seriously competing with Brompton in the tightness of the fold against the bike's riding ability.
2_i is offline  
Likes For 2_i:
Old 11-30-20, 06:30 AM
  #21  
tds101 
Wake up!!!
Thread Starter
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 3,307

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
You're confused. In my post, I acknowledged that the bicycle owner is tall. My post was addressing where someone implied that a 20" bicycle with the folding system that Brompton uses, would need to have an extra large frame.


There's no reason that this bicycle couldn't be made
with a shorter toptube. Look how, in folded-mode,
the toptube of the 20" version is sticking out beyond the rear
wheel and compare it to where the TT of the 16" version ends.
The only reason that I can see for the extra length is to
accommodate the tall owner, not because the Brompton fold
system requires it.

If anyone sees that I'm wrong, please explain why. I don't own
a Brompton, have never even seen one in person.
I'm not confused, and you're wrong. The bike posted here is sized for a larger rider, and is adjusted so it can fold exactly as any other Brompton. If you resize the top tube it would throw the fold out of whack. It appears to be just super-sized.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 09:14 AM
  #22  
Bobinohio
Newbie
 
Bobinohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 3

Bikes: Schwinn LeTour, Trek Verve3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the concept of the folding bike you can take just about anywhere. I haven't seen one and every time I go to their website they're either sold out or have a very limited selection. Guessing I'll have to wait until post covid
Bobinohio is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 12:07 PM
  #23  
Nyah
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Northern Virginia.
Posts: 389

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, Konacado ('20 Kona Sutra) and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 86 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
The tolerances for having the bike still fold like a Brompton are very tight. The hook off the front wheel must grab the chainstay behind the pusher. To the extent that I can tell, the particular wheelbase is the shortest you can afford for that with the 20" wheels. For full-size bikes and most manufacturers the wheelbase changes very little with bike size. If you want, you can email Juliane and ask. Obviously if you want to build a bike from scratch, you can do whatever you want, but history has not brought in, so far, anything seriously competing with Brompton in the tightness of the fold against the bike's riding ability.
By "pusher" do you mean pedal? The position of the front wheel can be accommodated by adding-to/subtracting-from, the toptube, on each side of the hinge in equal amounts. For instance, if 3" were subtracted from the toptube on each side of the hinge, the front wheel would still contact the chainstay in the same location, even though the TT is now 6" shorter. Perfectly do-able, you just have to subtract equal amounts.
Nyah is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 12:31 PM
  #24  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,059

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
By "pusher" do you mean pedal? The position of the front wheel can be accommodated by adding-to/subtracting-from, the toptube, on each side of the hinge in equal amounts. For instance, if 3" were subtracted from the toptube on each side of the hinge, the front wheel would still contact the chainstay in the same location, even though the TT is now 6" shorter. Perfectly do-able, you just have to subtract equal amounts.
Pusher is a simple derailleur employed on Brompton and located underneath the chainstay, that ends up pointing upwards upon folding. Basically the fold of Brompton and its locking are such that any increase in wheel diameter, including the maximal tire width, must add to the wheelbase. This is exactly what is encountered here as the wheelbase increases by about 5". Can you get around that? Yes, if you change details of the locking of the fold. However, then you throw in some potentially flaky elements that can come back to haunt you in the future. It depends what your priorities are, how much effort, time and money, the design and its execution will take. Everybody is free to design and make their own bike. I was commenting on the bike as it was made.
2_i is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.