Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Efneo GTRO 3 speed Crankset

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Efneo GTRO 3 speed Crankset

Old 08-22-20, 07:16 PM
  #1  
BromptonINrio
Stardust
Thread Starter
 
BromptonINrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 376

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Efneo GTRO 3 speed Crankset

hey guys, i just tumble to this new crankset from a polish maker:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bikebiz.com/efneo-releases-a-3-speed-internal-gearbox-called-the-gtro/

any realworld review on folders? that could be a hit for bromptons ens intetnal gear bikrd.
BromptonINrio is offline  
Old 08-22-20, 10:18 PM
  #2  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,027

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 105 Posts
Wow, looks good, $500 on US Amazon and good reviews. For me it does not go low enough, but for most people it should be completely satisfactory. The price may seem steep, but if you go the cheap way and go over multiple hoops, the costs accumulate, and so do the time and complexity where things can go sideways.
2_i is offline  
Likes For 2_i:
Old 08-23-20, 03:33 AM
  #3  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Go ahead, and tell us how it goes :-)

https://bikerumor.com/2017/08/21/rev...y-keeps-clean/
https://road.cc/content/review/22779...-front-gearbox

Odd that prices are quoted in USD and not even in Euros, considering the mfg is located in Poland.


Last edited by Winfried; 08-23-20 at 03:53 AM.
Winfried is offline  
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 05:59 AM
  #4  
BromptonINrio
Stardust
Thread Starter
 
BromptonINrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 376

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
Go ahead, and tell us how it goes :-)

https://bikerumor.com/2017/08/21/rev...y-keeps-clean/
https://road.cc/content/review/22779...-front-gearbox

Odd that prices are quoted in USD and not even in Euros, considering the mfg is located in Poland.


wow, nice reviews.

edit:
i just inquire then on chat and the response was very good.
for brompton they make it with 38t so the frame allows the correct clearences.

i just worried that the crankset is only 28 teeth.
on brompton if you go smaller than 30 on crankset the chainline hits the " metal cable holder stopper square thing" on right chainstay.
how did the guys on photo make it? saw that square metal off? and good to go?



​​​​​

Last edited by BromptonINrio; 08-23-20 at 06:50 AM.
BromptonINrio is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 06:58 AM
  #5  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I wonder about the efficiency of the it.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 07:21 AM
  #6  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
2% apparently: "There's no noticeable noise from the gearbox beyond a quiet purr, and no noticeable extra drag or effort required to pedal. Efneo has tested the drag at high loads and estimates it at around 2% – a perfectly acceptable loss in my book and on par with any other internal gear mechanism.

As for manufacturing: "Manufacturing of the Efneo bottom bracket and the parts for the gearbox is done by Tange Seiki – a Japanese company with nearly a hundred years of precision cycling component manufacture behind it. Final assembly is done in Poland."
https://road.cc/content/review/22779...-front-gearbox

As for using a chainring < 30T: I used a 24T on a double crankset with no issue, so a 28T should be OK.
Winfried is offline  
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 07:37 AM
  #7  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
"Anyway, pedaling efficiency notably improved, and all nasty crunchy noises were gone. So, it's nice that you can re-lubricate this thing by just taking the crank off the spindle and giving it a fluid bath. Woot.

The really disappointing news was to see that the torque arm against the chainstay was digging into the aluminum of my 2011 Mukluk frame. The digging was "plastic deformation", IMO there needs to be a much bigger rubber-covered load spreader as it used on the FSA Patterson crank to useful effect. Will this gouge break my frame? Beats me. I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'm sorry the trigger shifter ergonomics are not good.I have to wrap my left thumb to an unpleasant angle sometimes, and the sheer size of the shifter makes sharing real estate with other bar components a troublesome situation.

OH, right, if you are going to do a lube bath on one of these, it's messy enough during the tip-over step that the outer shell (that contacts your right calf) will get pretty nasty. Gonna want to use a localized degreaser right there, or you'll get a grime mark on the entire inside of your calf. First time I've had to use Dawn dish soap in the shower.

Glad I lubed it overall, the pedaling is quite nice and quiet again."

https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gea...nk-934753.html
Winfried is offline  
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 09:43 AM
  #8  
BromptonINrio
Stardust
Thread Starter
 
BromptonINrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 376

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
price went down to us$399 on their site!
BromptonINrio is offline  
Likes For BromptonINrio:
Old 08-23-20, 10:48 AM
  #9  
BromptonINrio
Stardust
Thread Starter
 
BromptonINrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 376

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
"Anyway, pedaling efficiency notably improved, and all nasty crunchy noises were gone. So, it's nice that you can re-lubricate this thing by just taking the crank off the spindle and giving it a fluid bath. Woot.

The really disappointing news was to see that the torque arm against the chainstay was digging into the aluminum of my 2011 Mukluk frame. The digging was "plastic deformation", IMO there needs to be a much bigger rubber-covered load spreader as it used on the FSA Patterson crank to useful effect. Will this gouge break my frame? Beats me. I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'm sorry the trigger shifter ergonomics are not good.I have to wrap my left thumb to an unpleasant angle sometimes, and the sheer size of the shifter makes sharing real estate with other bar components a troublesome situation.

OH, right, if you are going to do a lube bath on one of these, it's messy enough during the tip-over step that the outer shell (that contacts your right calf) will get pretty nasty. Gonna want to use a localized degreaser right there, or you'll get a grime mark on the entire inside of your calf. First time I've had to use Dawn dish soap in the shower.

Glad I lubed it overall, the pedaling is quite nice and quiet again."

https://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gea...nk-934753.html

i seems to need the same mainteance as internal hubs. Dissassamble once in a year and oil change.
BromptonINrio is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 11:33 AM
  #10  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Go ahead, for science's sake :-p
Winfried is offline  
Likes For Winfried:
Old 08-23-20, 11:58 AM
  #11  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 821 Posts
Last read, Merry Sales imports ( South SF, Cal) carries them to ship to bike shops with an account with the distributor..

I read both revues*, not mentioned right crank arm is it cast or cold forged.. I've had pedal threads self destruct in cast crankarms..

*Nor did Efneo reply when I asked directly... guess pedal thread repair kits will be useful in those eventualities..







..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-20 at 12:03 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 12:08 PM
  #12  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 821 Posts
FWIW the Schlumpf 2 speed cranks don't need proprietary arms ..
'spider less' right crank arms are common on cross over drive tandems on the front ..
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 12:34 PM
  #13  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
How much extra depth does it add to the fold? What increase about in Q?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 03:54 PM
  #14  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,027

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 105 Posts
I doubt either being significant. When using a folding drive-side pedal, the amount that my triple ring adds to the fold cannot be detected. The Q-value increased by about 1cm. Incidentally, the Q-value study results, of which publication Jan Heine co-authored, lack statistical significance. I.e., while it is reasonable to assume that the Q-values matter for efficiency, it is hard to tell how much.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 08:54 PM
  #15  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
I doubt either being significant. When using a folding drive-side pedal, the amount that my triple ring adds to the fold cannot be detected. The Q-value increased by about 1cm. Incidentally, the Q-value study results, of which publication Jan Heine co-authored, lack statistical significance. I.e., while it is reasonable to assume that the Q-values matter for efficiency, it is hard to tell how much.
My interest is this. My Brompton is a very tight fit now into the B&W hard case. I may have to make mods to get more clearance as it is. I have to locate the points causing this. So its more to this with this than any concern that Q has with efficiency.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 08-23-20, 09:51 PM
  #16  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,027

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 105 Posts
The B&W fit is very tight. Even if things look good with a measuring tape, problems might develop when closing the lid. Yeah, hard to tell.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-24-20, 02:43 AM
  #17  
Winfried
Senior Member
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
My interest is this. My Brompton is a very tight fit now into the B&W hard case. I may have to make mods to get more clearance as it is. I have to locate the points causing this. So its more to this with this than any concern that Q has with efficiency.
If it's too tight, consider removable pedals (MKS, Wellgo, Xpédo).
Winfried is offline  
Old 08-24-20, 09:11 AM
  #18  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,027

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
If it's too tight, consider removable pedals (MKS, Wellgo, Xpédo).
I use a folding Brompton pedal on the right side too and it helps, but still the B&W case represented a challenge. We switched to Vincita bags and it has been an improvement for us in several ways. However different people have different considerations and foremost one might want to use what one invested in and this significantly.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-24-20, 10:59 AM
  #19  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
I use a folding Brompton pedal on the right side too and it helps, but still the B&W case represented a challenge. We switched to Vincita bags and it has been an improvement for us in several ways. However different people have different considerations and foremost one might want to use what one invested in and this significantly.
Just courious which Vincita did you go with?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 08-24-20, 11:47 AM
  #20  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,027

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
Just courious which Vincita did you go with?
At the time it was called B132H. Its current incarnation is Sightseer 3.0 I think. Vincita's stock seems to be depleted and they only sell it with the garment bag included. However resellers, such as bikegang, may have it in a stripped down form. The advantages include better, in my experience, protection for the bike and no struggles in closing the bag. Foremost its handling in travel is much easier than for B&W. Most often you pull it by a strap that you can grab having hands already busy with something else.
2_i is offline  
Old 10-11-20, 01:49 AM
  #21  
Blackstrida_A_
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna
Posts: 101

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I read both revues*, not mentioned right crank arm is it cast or cold forged..
Thanks for the interesting question.

According to Wiktor/efneo the right crank arm is forged, the SGS certificate (= proof of passed industry test) can be found here:

https://efneo.com/filesss/SGS-crank-cert.pdf


Originally Posted by fietsbob
*Nor did Efneo reply when I asked directly...
That's very odd for my experience and I'd really recommend to check the used mail address AND trying to send your message from a different mail account (I guess you just ended up into some mad mail-filters).

During the installation of two drives I've learned to know the brilliant support of the efneo brothers,
I've got precise and appropriate reply to each single question, usually within a short time, either from Franek (Franciszek) or Wiktor.
Never before I've experienced such a helpful and skilled support at any company; we've exchanged over 160 mails within about two years.

Therefore, my advice for noisy drives - get in touch with the efneo bros asap!
Blackstrida_A_ is offline  
Likes For Blackstrida_A_:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.