Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Winter Riding??

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Winter Riding??

Old 09-25-20, 08:43 PM
  #1  
calgarc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Winter Riding??

How many of you ride your folding bikes during winter? heavy snow? light snow? etc...
calgarc is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 10:14 PM
  #2  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,094

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 115 Posts
While I alternate between different bikes, the decision of taking the Brompton or not does depend on any weather conditions. I have studded tires for Brompton and they can be useful when it is slippery. In general you actually feel more secure on a folding bike than a regular bike in winter conditions. This is because the center of gravity is lower and it is easier to jump to your feet on the ground off the folding bike than a regular. In fact, my wife might ride a Brompton in the snow, but would not touch a regular bike under such conditions. With derailleur being close to the ground I ran every once in a while to it getting snowed over and quitting to shift.

I also used Bike Friday in the snow, but I had no studded tires for it then and this was quite a while ago. More recently, I acquired the 20" studded tires and made other investments into BF and look forward for trials during the forthcoming winter.
2_i is offline  
Likes For 2_i:
Old 09-25-20, 11:25 PM
  #3  
BromptonINrio
Stardust
 
BromptonINrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 377

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
While I alternate between different bikes, the decision of taking the Brompton or not does depend on any weather conditions. I have studded tires for Brompton and they can be useful when it is slippery. In general you actually feel more secure on a folding bike than a regular bike in winter conditions. This is because the center of gravity is lower and it is easier to jump to your feet on the ground off the folding bike than a regular. In fact, my wife might ride a Brompton in the snow, but would not touch a regular bike under such conditions. With derailleur being close to the ground I ran every once in a while to it getting snowed over and quitting to shift.

I also used Bike Friday in the snow, but I had no studded tires for it then and this was quite a while ago. More recently, I acquired the 20" studded tires and made other investments into BF and look forward for trials during the forthcoming winter.

No snow here in rio.
Our winter is 27 celsius sunny days.
BromptonINrio is offline  
Old 09-25-20, 11:34 PM
  #4  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,094

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio View Post
No snow here in rio.
Our winter is 27 celsius sunny days.
Actually some of the challenges of riding in the snow are similar to those in the sand. If you add the wet sand, you broaden the connections.
2_i is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 07:13 AM
  #5  
calgarc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio View Post
No snow here in rio.
Our winter is 27 celsius sunny days.
This will be my first and only winter on a Folding bike. I plan on sailing to warmer climates for the winter from now on C:
calgarc is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 08:46 AM
  #6  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,094

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
This will be my first and only winter on a Folding bike. I plan on sailing to warmer climates for the winter from now on C:
Is the sailing going to be literal or metaphorical? I enjoy winter riding because of the weather challenges. However, in sailing you literally delegate your life to the elements. Obviously it must be enjoyable too as people can spend decades sailing around the world. Is the bike going to be on the boat?
2_i is offline  
Old 09-26-20, 05:56 PM
  #7  
calgarc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
Is the sailing going to be literal or metaphorical? I enjoy winter riding because of the weather challenges. However, in sailing you literally delegate your life to the elements. Obviously it must be enjoyable too as people can spend decades sailing around the world. Is the bike going to be on the boat?
Literal C: ... The bike will be stored on my Pearson 30. It will be stored in a water proof bag and taken out when I reach whatever destination I sail to.

I have a single winter here in Canada while I finish refitting the boat.
calgarc is offline  
Likes For calgarc:
Old 09-30-20, 05:26 PM
  #8  
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Posts: 4,782

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Doesn't get below single digits(F) in my area; so I'm ok riding year round.
I only ride in light snow; while a storm is just starting out for example. NYC
area doesn't get too much snow. And when they do; it's plowed right away.
My Snowmobile by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
5 Fahrenheit/-15 Celsius by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
1nterceptor is offline  
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 09-30-20, 05:58 PM
  #9  
blakcloud 
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,543

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Winter Cycles flat bar road bike, Brompton S/M3L (modified)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 201 Posts
I used my Brompton with studded tires for one winter and it was great here in Toronto. The one day I just couldn't ride because of too much snow, I folded the bike and took the subway home.
blakcloud is offline  
Old 09-30-20, 06:42 PM
  #10  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,713

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
How many of you ride your folding bikes during winter? heavy snow? light snow? etc...
My "winter" folder is HERE.
sweeks is offline  
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-30-20, 06:56 PM
  #11  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,094

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 115 Posts
In my surrounding, paradoxically, the bike tends to be the most reliable means of transport. We live by a minor street, deep inside an area with streets that come late in the priority of snow plowing. Thus, when there is a sudden intense snow fall, it may be impossible to drive out by car. However, with a bike you just need to walk it to a main road and you are good. The public transport can also become sketchy or stop when the weather is bad and, with a bike, I only need to plan well and give myself enough time to reach my destination.
2_i is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.