Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My Brompton now has an electric shifter

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My Brompton now has an electric shifter

Old 11-30-22, 09:05 PM
  #1  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
My Brompton now has an electric shifter

Thanks to L-TWOO's new economic electric shifter --- AE (https://www.ltwoo.com/cn/h-pd-1720.html#_pp=181_4466), I am able to experience completely different gear shifting on my Brompton.
As I posted in my previous threat, I prefer to use a shimano regular rear derailleur (this time it is an XT m750) and over sized pulley wheel system on Brompton. With this combination, the shifting is always very smooth. So, I thought after installing the new electric shifter, there would be no big difference, except one cable less.
However, I was wrong.
The actuator is so programmable that you can define not only the number of gears but also precised cable pull length of each single gear, which means no matter which rear derailleur and which set of cassette you have, you can always calibrate your system to a very very accurate level.
I fixed the actuator onto the rear triangle right under the suspension block. Do you find it? The 2 fixing ties look a little ugly, but since the actuator is pretty light, so no problem. I hope L-TWOO could optimize this in the next generation.










GTA is offline  
Old 12-21-22, 01:23 PM
  #2  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
That bike looks nice. Please do a write-up of your mods. Links to actual parts would be a big help too.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 01-16-23, 08:57 PM
  #3  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
That bike looks nice. Please do a write-up of your mods. Links to actual parts would be a big help too.
The core modifications are the customized rear wheel & cassette; an additional dropout; rear derailleur with oversized pulley wheels; and the LTWOO AE set.
If you want to know any specific part's details, I would like to explain.
GTA is offline  
Old 01-17-23, 08:47 AM
  #4  
Half way there
 
Moe Zhoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,957

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Thanks for posting this. You've given me a few ideas.
Moe Zhoost is offline  
Old 01-18-23, 08:30 PM
  #5  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
The core modifications are the customized rear wheel & cassette; an additional dropout; rear derailleur with oversized pulley wheels; and the LTWOO AE set.
If you want to know any specific part's details, I would like to explain.
Let me ask which derailleur you used and did it come with a hanger? Did you have to modify the hanger? Did you then only change out the pulleys to larger ones? I am trying to make a list of the parts needed and their cost.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 10:27 AM
  #6  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,070

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Looks similar to the Xshifter wireless system that I put on my TT bike since 2018.






Xshifter had sold their rights to CELL Cycling, which has its own wireless system now, I guess LTWOO is just making the old Xshifter system.
cat0020 is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 09:03 PM
  #7  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Let me ask which derailleur you used and did it come with a hanger? Did you have to modify the hanger? Did you then only change out the pulleys to larger ones? I am trying to make a list of the parts needed and their cost.
From for example Ali-Express, you can find the special designed hanger for brompton, the you can use regular rear derailleur. This time I put on a SHIMANO RD-m750, and swap its pulleys and cage with bigger ones.
Regarding the pulleys, I have tried many times. The total teeth should be no less than 32, in order to maintain chain tension when folded.
GTA is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 09:06 PM
  #8  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Looks similar to the Xshifter wireless system that I put on my TT bike since 2018.






Xshifter had sold their rights to CELL Cycling, which has its own wireless system now, I guess LTWOO is just making the old Xshifter system.
Yes, quite similar with X-shifter, but it is cheaper and the LTWOO app is better.
GTA is offline  
Old 01-19-23, 10:26 PM
  #9  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
From for example Ali-Express, you can find the special designed hanger for brompton, the you can use regular rear derailleur. This time I put on a SHIMANO RD-m750, and swap its pulleys and cage with bigger ones.
Regarding the pulleys, I have tried many times. The total teeth should be no less than 32, in order to maintain chain tension when folded.
What cage length, please?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 01-20-23, 04:23 AM
  #10  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
What cage length, please?
you can buy OSPW system, including cages and pulleys.
like this one:

https://www.rideabikes.com/product.p...evel_4=SHIMANO
GTA is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 06:49 PM
  #11  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
you can buy OSPW system, including cages and pulleys.
like this one:

https://www.rideabikes.com/product.p...evel_4=SHIMANO
This part alone costs well over $300. Is there a more cost-effective option?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 01-28-23, 07:27 PM
  #12  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
This part alone costs well over $300. Is there a more cost-effective option?
I believe there are cheaper ones on AliExpress
GTA is offline  
Old 08-14-23, 08:11 AM
  #13  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I just bouth Ltwoo Ae from aliexpress (it is pretty cheap now, 180 eur, its around 190 usd), but i dont understand how to reset it. Its now configured, i think, for 6 speed (I press rocker 6 times, it goes up, after that it doesnt goes up, and i can only go down for 6 times). May be you know how to reset hardware? Unfortunately app for iphone is not stable, i configure app for 9 speed (it is very strange, there is only 9 speed option under brand SHIMANO) but it doesnt help and app crashes every time. May be you know the way how to configure shifter without app? Thanks
GetUp is offline  
Old 08-17-23, 01:25 AM
  #14  
GTA
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUp
Hi! I just bouth Ltwoo Ae from aliexpress (it is pretty cheap now, 180 eur, its around 190 usd), but i dont understand how to reset it. Its now configured, i think, for 6 speed (I press rocker 6 times, it goes up, after that it doesnt goes up, and i can only go down for 6 times). May be you know how to reset hardware? Unfortunately app for iphone is not stable, i configure app for 9 speed (it is very strange, there is only 9 speed option under brand SHIMANO) but it doesnt help and app crashes every time. May be you know the way how to configure shifter without app? Thanks
Hi, as far as I know, you can only configure it vis LTWOO app. Perhaps you can try with another phone which runs the app.
Once when it is done you won't need the app anymore.
GTA is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.