Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any recent experiences with 16" or 18" studded tires?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Any recent experiences with 16" or 18" studded tires?

Old 10-24-23, 11:40 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any recent experiences with 16" or 18" studded tires?

Hi All, I've read that the Schwalbe 349mm Brompton Winter studded tires kinda suck (e.g., get flats easily), but I'm wondering if anyone here has had more recent experiences with them, or with their Birdy 355mm studded siblings, which I can also fit? Looking to prepare for the Winter commute.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/Winter-11100906
Estuche is offline  
Old 12-22-23, 09:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,595
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sorry late the game but I own those tires and love them. My expectations were low but my first ride proved otherwise. They worked well on ice and snow. I don't ride in the winter anymore but I have no hesitations to recommend them. These tires are pretty stiff and thick so I am surprised to hear they flatted as I never had this problem. The only problem I had was installation and removal, they are tight but will go on and off.
blakcloud is offline  
Old 12-22-23, 11:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,705

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I own those tires and love them. My expectations were low but my first ride proved otherwise. They worked well on ice and snow.
Similarly positive experiences here. I rode on 16" studded Winter Marathons a couple of serious winters, and they performed well for me. The difficulties with mounting and dismounting them are evidence of poor skills. Yes, you can do it with bare hands and it is not a big deal. Practice slowly and methodically when you can afford it - it will save you time later. There are some benefits in riding on small wheels in winter in that reaching the ground with your feet and regaining balance is easier than with a large wheel bicycle.
2_i is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 08:48 AM
  #4  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
There are some benefits in riding on small wheels in winter in that reaching the ground with your feet and regaining balance is easier than with a large wheel bicycle.
It has now been some time since I last rode a full size bike, but this seems questionable because it seems like the BB is the same height and the cranks are the same length. Am I wrong on this?
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 09:55 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,971

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
If you are worried about flats you can use tire liners. I don't have studded tires on my folder, but I do on my old 26" MTB. All my bikes have tire liners except my 16" Dahon project bike, and it will after the next upgrade.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 11:30 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,705

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
It has now been some time since I last rode a full size bike, but this seems questionable because it seems like the BB is the same height and the cranks are the same length. Am I wrong on this?
The main tube and the frame's center of gravity are lower. There is less interference between the frame and your legs, so you can tolerate more sideways tilt of the frame without falling. Moreover, at the torque level, it is easier for your hands to manipulate the sideways tilt - at least, this is how I try to rationalize the feeling. My wife refuses to ride a full-size bike in the snow but can be convinced to ride a studded Brompton.
2_i is offline  
Old 12-23-23, 12:12 PM
  #7  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
The main tube and the frame's center of gravity are lower. There is less interference between the frame and your legs, so you can tolerate more sideways tilt of the frame without falling. Moreover, at the torque level, it is easier for your hands to manipulate the sideways tilt - at least, this is how I try to rationalize the feeling. My wife refuses to ride a full-size bike in the snow but can be convinced to ride a studded Brompton.
Agreed, and the dismount is easier.
Schwinnsta is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.