Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a folder, but happens to be a broke teenager

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking to buy a folder, but happens to be a broke teenager

Old 07-22-08, 07:03 PM
  #1  
MarMek
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to buy a folder, but happens to be a broke teenager

As the title implies, I'm a teenager trying to buy a folder. Mostly because the area I live in is full of bike thieves and whatnot (I've walked into a library next to this fellow with a rather nice Trek, and walked out to find nothing left but a clipped chain and some scraps). So rather than end up buying four eighty dollar bikes, I figured a folder I could carry around with me would be a better idea.
In the past month, I've tried to learn as much as I can via the internet. When I first started, I saw this Schwinn called the "Hinge" for $170. Then learned that bikes are akin to trumpets with how you should generally aim for a trusted brand name for quality's sake. Which lead me to talking to this local bike shop owner, who suggested Sun Bicycle's "Cayne Rambler." Which in turn caused me to simply use Wikipedia and type in "Folding Bikes." So now I know quite a bit about Dahons, Bromptons, Citizens, and other companies.
The problem is, I'm still just a high schooler, so I don't have much money (I also don't want to mooch cash off of my relatives). Meaning I most likely will not be getting the Giant Halfway or a Brompton because they cost too much. Thus, I'd really like to spend under $200 .. maybe $220 at most (but that's pushing it for me).
I'm also looking for either a single speed or a three speed, as I've had a rather painful experience with a derailleur. There aren't that many hills, and its not that much trouble to just pedal harder or walk the distance.
I scoured nearly all the bike shops near the San Fernando Valley and Valencia. Some guy in Valencia actually had the nerve to immediately reply to me with "Folding bikes are not bike shop quality bikes" snidely.. which sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. And I've e-mailed a store and someone on craigslist, but neither have replied.

I'm at a loss. I can't afford most of the bikes being talked about, and none of the local shops stock the Dahon Boardwalk S1, which I've heard to be within my budget ($150-200 apparently). Most shops say they can "Order a Boardwalk" for $250, but none of them know anything about how many gears it has. So I'd really like some advice for my glorious predicament.
MarMek is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 07:20 PM
  #2  
Dynocoaster 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,097

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Where are you located?
Dynocoaster is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 07:49 PM
  #3  
MarMek
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
Where are you located?
Located in the northern area of Los Angeles County
MarMek is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 08:17 PM
  #4  
jonmorehouse
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 8

Bikes: fuji touring, centurion ironman, centurion accord, trek 6500, lotus eclair...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.performancebike.com search boardwalk. $189 +s/h.
join the club or whatever, get 10% back for store credit.
look around here for 10% coupon or better too.
it's a single speed cycle, appears to be pretty basic and reliable.
i've been stalking the bicycle for over a year. sometimes adding it to my
shopping cart and hovering over the button.
you should buy it so i can live out my single speed folding cycle dream vicariously through you.
sorry for being creepy. i want a single speed folder.
jonmorehouse is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 09:24 PM
  #5  
MarMek
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmorehouse View Post
www.performancebike.com search boardwalk. $189 +s/h.
join the club or whatever, get 10% back for store credit.
look around here for 10% coupon or better too.
it's a single speed cycle, appears to be pretty basic and reliable.
i've been stalking the bicycle for over a year. sometimes adding it to my
shopping cart and hovering over the button.
you should buy it so i can live out my single speed folding cycle dream vicariously through you.
sorry for being creepy. i want a single speed folder.
I'm still new to this forum, so could you possibly elaborate on where these coupons may be?
MarMek is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 09:34 PM
  #6  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,268

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
A singlespeed and a folder ?

How will you ever get anywhere with those small wheels and only one gear ?

Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 09:35 PM
  #7  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,268

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
My folder is a fixed gear...
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 10:42 PM
  #8  
MarMek
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
My folder is a fixed gear...
Well, I sort of have a strange vendetta against derailleurs, and I am perfectly fine with a three speed. But a single speed tends to be cheaper, Also, because pretty much all children's bikes are single speed bikes, and that I remember that the hills really aren't that bad, I figure a one speed should be adequate for me (yup, I'll never forget my own childhood). I only need to get back home from my summer classes which is five miles at most, the occasional get from point A to B, and most universities probably won't be so mountainous that a single speed can't manage.

Nonetheless, what bike do you use? And what is "Fixed gear" and how is it done?
MarMek is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 10:55 PM
  #9  
Foldable Two
Senior Member
 
Foldable Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Posts: 1,319

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're in luck!!!

There is a Camping World store in Valencia!

https://www.campingworld.com/stores/stores.cfm?store=26

They have the Dahon Single-speed for $169. ($139. if you are a President's Club member, which is like $15 for one year, so it will save you an additional $15).

I got my S1 Camping World as well as the Boardwalk D7s we started with. They don't do a great assembly job, but it doesn't take much mechanical skill to adjust an S1.

They also have the Yeah Bike (also Dahon).

https://www.campingworld.com/shopping...by-dahon/32200

It's a 6-speed folder ($199/$169). A friend has one - I have ridden it, and it is also very acceptable.

Good Luck.
Foldable Two is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 11:01 PM
  #10  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,268

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MarMek View Post
Well, I sort of have a strange vendetta against derailleurs, and I am perfectly fine with a three speed. But a single speed tends to be cheaper, Also, because pretty much all children's bikes are single speed bikes, and that I remember that the hills really aren't that bad, I figure a one speed should be adequate for me (yup, I'll never forget my own childhood). I only need to get back home from my summer classes which is five miles at most, the occasional get from point A to B, and most universities probably won't be so mountainous that a single speed can't manage.

Nonetheless, what bike do you use? And what is "Fixed gear" and how is it done?
Fixed is one speed... with no coasting as there is no freewheel and the cog is connected directly to the rear hub.

1972 Phillip's Twenty with some serious modifications.

Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 11:22 PM
  #11  
gdh81
Senior Member
 
gdh81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 56

Bikes: Raleigh Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should consider a used bike. Craigslist is a great resource for bikes. It depends on your area, but there are usually several under $200.
gdh81 is offline  
Old 07-22-08, 11:34 PM
  #12  
nekohime
I... Don't care.
 
nekohime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some older 3-5 speed hub gear dahons appear on craigslist from time to time. Check there.
__________________
Wanna join my charity folding bike ride? Sign-up here!
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way :p
nekohime is offline  
Old 07-23-08, 09:48 AM
  #13  
Dynocoaster 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,097

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I couldnt get back soon enough but someone mentioned Camping World. There is a Boardwalk with a 3 speed hub on Craigslist LA for sale. Just listed on the Best of Craigslist.
Dynocoaster is offline  
Old 07-23-08, 10:57 AM
  #14  
JosephLMonti
Senior Member
 
JosephLMonti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Try eBay as well.
JosephLMonti is offline  
Old 07-23-08, 11:16 AM
  #15  
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarMek View Post
As the title implies, I'm a teenager trying to buy a folder. Mostly because the area I live in is full of bike thieves and whatnot (I've walked into a library next to this fellow with a rather nice Trek, and walked out to find nothing left but a clipped chain and some scraps). So rather than end up buying four eighty dollar bikes, I figured a folder I could carry around with me would be a better idea.
In the past month, I've tried to learn as much as I can via the internet. When I first started, I saw this Schwinn called the "Hinge" for $170. Then learned that bikes are akin to trumpets with how you should generally aim for a trusted brand name for quality's sake. Which lead me to talking to this local bike shop owner, who suggested Sun Bicycle's "Cayne Rambler." Which in turn caused me to simply use Wikipedia and type in "Folding Bikes." So now I know quite a bit about Dahons, Bromptons, Citizens, and other companies.
Welcome MarMek. I have 3 folding bikes due to the high crime rate in my own part of Los Angeles at present. These are the only bikes that are truly "theft resistant" and I can use with confidence around here. I have used folders now for almost 5 years without problems or barriers.

Originally Posted by MarMek View Post
The problem is, I'm still just a high schooler, so I don't have much money (I also don't want to mooch cash off of my relatives). Meaning I most likely will not be getting the Giant Halfway or a Brompton because they cost too much. Thus, I'd really like to spend under $200 .. maybe $220 at most (but that's pushing it for me).
I'm also looking for either a single speed or a three speed, as I've had a rather painful experience with a derailleur. There aren't that many hills, and its not that much trouble to just pedal harder or walk the distance.
I scoured nearly all the bike shops near the San Fernando Valley and Valencia. Some guy in Valencia actually had the nerve to immediately reply to me with "Folding bikes are not bike shop quality bikes" snidely.. which sounds like a lot of nonsense to me. And I've e-mailed a store and someone on craigslist, but neither have replied.
A bicycle is far cheaper than a car. But like autos, they have a huge range in prices and selection. Don't bother with some of these online stores. I simply have a few stores that I have done business with lined up to take care of my bikes when I am out and about. I think your first folder should be a Dahon Boardwalk S1-the same model I purchased when I selected and bought my first folder. Depending on the bike shop that you do business with, you should not pay more than around 230 dollars new, with a tune-ups before purchase and about 30 days after included.

Originally Posted by MarMek View Post
I'm at a loss. I can't afford most of the bikes being talked about, and none of the local shops stock the Dahon Boardwalk S1, which I've heard to be within my budget ($150-200 apparently). Most shops say they can "Order a Boardwalk" for $250, but none of them know anything about how many gears it has. So I'd really like some advice for my glorious predicament.
I do not know exactly where you are located. But here is one of my chosen shops that is a "Dahon Stocking Dealer" (a shop that has at least 1 mechanic that knows Dahons) and is priced fairly (not overpriced). Here is the name and address of this shop:


Safety Bike Shop
1014 N Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90029 Map

(323) 464-5765

Hours of Operation (call to verify):
Open 7 Days
Payment Methods:
MASTER CARD and VISA

Originally Posted by gdh81 View Post
You should consider a used bike. Craigslist is a great resource for bikes. It depends on your area, but there are usually several under $200.
I don't recommend used bikes anymore around the Los Angeles area anymore. You really don't know where they come from (you are stuck and out of the money if the bike is taken away from you and returned to it's rightful owner) and you don't have warranty protection like even the cheapest new bike on the market.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-23-08 at 11:26 AM.
folder fanatic is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.