Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Piccolo Inside The Store In Full View & In It's Own Private Vehicle-Photos Too

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon Piccolo Inside The Store In Full View & In It's Own Private Vehicle-Photos Too

Old 12-02-09, 03:41 PM
  #1  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dahon Piccolo Inside The Store In Full View & In It's Own Private Vehicle-Photos Too

I have just finished uploading these new subset of my little Piccolo actually doing what it does best-blending in with it's surroundings. In this case, I went to Target (a large discount department store) yesterday for the new Terminator: Salvation DVD. I don't lock my bike up for any reason. I take it with me inside always-no exceptions. This is the result of my short trip. You will find this new mini series within my "The Evolution Of My Folding Bicycles" set on Flickr. Enjoy.

This is the first photo of "Using The Folding Fold-Up Bicycle" mini set:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/world-of-folding-bicycles/4151377071/in/set-72157594461421431/

Sample Photo Below:
Attached Images
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 08:38 AM
  #2  
JCFlack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 298

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
In this case, I went to Target (a large discount department store) yesterday for the new Terminator: Salvation DVD. I don't lock my bike up for any reason. I take it with me inside always-no exceptions.
I rode to a Target near me recently, and locked it up outside. I didn't think to fold and bring it in, because while it CAN be rolled when folded, it is quite unwieldy. Never thought of putting it in a cart! Good idea, thanks.
JCFlack is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 10:11 AM
  #3  
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice pictures.

You may be a good idea to blur strangers' faces and license plates before publishing to the net.

Kam
kamtsa is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 12:41 PM
  #4  
BruceMetras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 2,097
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't like the idea of putting a folding bike in a shopping cart, nor would I think the next person using it would likely appreciate it.. there have been lots of discussions about this very thing with oil, grease, dirt, road grime, etc. being deposited in a shopping cart designed for clothes and such...

If you are going shopping by bike, a better way in my eye is to roll it in with whatever basket or bag you choose on the bike.. probably the hands down winner for this sort of thing is a Brompton with a front mount bag.. you just push it like a shopping cart.. I use this setup often when shopping crowded stores like the local Trader Joes and never get anything but smiles and compliments even from the staff.. last week, I managed 8 boxes of oatmeal! I have also just rolled my Birdy into grocery stores with large shopping bag attached and have yet to get a complaint..



BruceMetras is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 01:45 PM
  #5  
vmaniqui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, SF California
Posts: 1,513

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
I don't like the idea of putting a folding bike in a shopping cart, nor would I think the next person using it would likely appreciate it.. there have been lots of discussions about this very thing with oil, grease, dirt, road grime, etc. being deposited in a shopping cart designed for clothes and such...
make sense and i totally agree with you on this one. i will keep that in mind when i am doing my shopping with my folder.
vmaniqui is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 04:30 PM
  #6  
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albany, WA
Posts: 7,392
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
... last week, I managed 8 boxes of oatmeal!
That's a lot of oatmeal. And on a folding bike! Wow.
jur is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 04:37 PM
  #7  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
Nice pictures.

You may be a good idea to blur strangers' faces and license plates before publishing to the net.

Kam
When I photograph in a public place, I choose a time that there are little or no people around (like in the early morning in this case). But I will keep it in mind. I feel more comfortable shooting nonliving things like landscapes, buildings, or bikes for that matter.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 04:41 PM
  #8  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
I don't like the idea of putting a folding bike in a shopping cart, nor would I think the next person using it would likely appreciate it.. there have been lots of discussions about this very thing with oil, grease, dirt, road grime, etc. being deposited in a shopping cart designed for clothes and such...

If you are going shopping by bike, a better way in my eye is to roll it in with whatever basket or bag you choose on the bike.. probably the hands down winner for this sort of thing is a Brompton with a front mount bag.. you just push it like a shopping cart.. I use this setup often when shopping crowded stores like the local Trader Joes and never get anything but smiles and compliments even from the staff.. last week, I managed 8 boxes of oatmeal! I have also just rolled my Birdy into grocery stores with large shopping bag attached and have yet to get a complaint..



Where this Target is located, much of the shopping carts/trolleys are kept outside, subjected to the elements, even vandalism. And many are "borrowed" for extended periods and wind up in many "exotic" usages. I don't place anything that needs to stay clean-like small children, pets,cloth, or merchandise. I learn to take precautions (i.e. wipe the item(s) down when about to use it) when using anything "public"in front of it's name or "shared" things like laundromats with others. I was in bit of a hurry that day so I forgot to line the bottom of the cart with plastic or bring along one of my bags as is my habit. Besides I had the bike "go naked" to see the bike actually in use inside the store.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 12-03-09 at 04:50 PM.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 04:43 PM
  #9  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JCFlack View Post
I rode to a Target near me recently, and locked it up outside. I didn't think to fold and bring it in, because while it CAN be rolled when folded, it is quite unwieldy. Never thought of putting it in a cart! Good idea, thanks.
Just remember to use something to protect the bottom and the sides of the cart. I generally use a bag when inside a store or restaurant. I prevents many problems in the process. I forgot to bring the bag with me that day. And that cart was from the outside anyway when I chose it.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 05:05 PM
  #10  
BruceMetras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 2,097
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur View Post
That's a lot of oatmeal. And on a folding bike! Wow.
I was contemplating 9, it would have been a squeeze though.. the cashier's jaw dropped a bit when he started to count and I said 8 ..
BruceMetras is offline  
Old 12-03-09, 09:24 PM
  #11  
EastBiker
Dis Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is inconsiderate of other shoppers. The Piccolo's chain drive when folded is exposed and can very well rub grease on the inside of the cart, not to mention tire muck can contaminate the bottom of the cart. The next customer who uses this cart will surely have grimy merchandise, or worse, foodstuff.
EastBiker is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 04:43 AM
  #12  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EastBiker View Post
I think this is inconsiderate of other shoppers. The Piccolo's chain drive when folded is exposed and can very well rub grease on the inside of the cart, not to mention tire muck can contaminate the bottom of the cart. The next customer who uses this cart will surely have grimy merchandise, or worse, foodstuff.
Feel free to chose another cart...or volunteer to clean the carts at the store. Have you ever really looked at a cart prior to using them? It is enough to want to bring your OWN cart to the store...

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:51 AM
  #13  
EastBiker
Dis Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Feel free to chose another cart...or volunteer to clean the carts at the store. Have you ever really looked at a cart prior to using them? It is enough to want to bring your OWN cart to the store...

Aaron


I don't know where you live, but here in NY Target's carts are relatively clean. even if some carts may be dirty, it still no reason to muck up carts with grease and such. doing so would givefolders and bikes in general a bad name.
EastBiker is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 11:56 AM
  #14  
JCFlack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 298

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I promise to put my bike in its blue IKEA bag before I put it in the shopping cart. Okay?
JCFlack is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 12:06 PM
  #15  
JCFlack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 298

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
I don't like the idea of putting a folding bike in a shopping cart, nor would I think the next person using it would likely appreciate it.. there have been lots of discussions about this very thing with oil, grease, dirt, road grime, etc. being deposited in a shopping cart designed for clothes and such...

If you are going shopping by bike, a better way in my eye is to roll it in with whatever basket or bag you choose on the bike.. probably the hands down winner for this sort of thing is a Brompton with a front mount bag.. you just push it like a shopping cart.. I use this setup often when shopping crowded stores like the local Trader Joes and never get anything but smiles and compliments even from the staff.. last week, I managed 8 boxes of oatmeal! I have also just rolled my Birdy into grocery stores with large shopping bag attached and have yet to get a complaint.
Fine, if you have a Merc, Brompton, Tikit, Mobiky, CarryMe, or some other bike that rolls well when folded. As I said, mine will roll when folded, but it's cumbersome. Hey, I have an idea - Brompton and Mercs look like they're rolling on a skateboard or kick scooter - someone invent a set of wheels that you can strap onto your "folds in the middle" folder.
JCFlack is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 01:19 PM
  #16  
vincentnyc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jcflack: dont u have a citizen tokyo? i thought citizen folder doesn't roll when folded?
vincentnyc is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:29 PM
  #17  
JCFlack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 298

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
jcflack: dont u have a citizen tokyo? i thought citizen folder doesn't roll when folded?
Yep, a Tokyo. It will roll folded, but only with rear wheel facing forward. And it is cumbersome - no good place to hold it. You can't tilt it back very far because the fenders get in the way. So the hinge is too low to comfortably pull from there. You can leave the seat up and push, but it is hard to control that way. Can't pull with the seat because there is a guard protecting the chaingear that drags.

Last edited by JCFlack; 12-04-09 at 10:33 PM.
JCFlack is offline  
Old 12-11-09, 10:14 PM
  #18  
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.boox.net/topics/bicycles/...ks.html#banned

I was reading this old post collection of living and using the Brompton in many different ways. One of them was the discussion on placing the bike in the shopping trolley (cart) and pushing it through the store. David Henshaw (the author of the new book about to be release soon-Brompton Bicycle-offers this rather amusing observation over 10 years ago on this very topic:

David Henshaw - A to B Magazine, Jul 98:
".....On the subject of supermarkets. I'm very nervous about one of us upsetting a store and a total ban resulting (although quite how they could ban covered Bromptons, I don't know). It's so easy to fold the bike into (or under) a trolley, and you've then got the same cumbersome vehicle as everyone else, so the problem evaporates. The only objection we ever had was after a press-item in Dorset showing Jane wheeling her bike in a supermarket trolley with the blessing of the store manager. Someone wrote to the paper saying the tyres might have had dog pooh on them, so the bike was a health hazard. Fair enough, but the same applies to kids who are often karted around in trolleys. And Bromptons are unlikely to start screaming or eating the produce...."

Last edited by folder fanatic; 12-11-09 at 10:28 PM.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 12-12-09, 07:29 AM
  #19  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,855

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
https://www.boox.net/topics/bicycles/...ks.html#banned

I was reading this old post collection of living and using the Brompton in many different ways. One of them was the discussion on placing the bike in the shopping trolley (cart) and pushing it through the store. David Henshaw (the author of the new book about to be release soon-Brompton Bicycle-offers this rather amusing observation over 10 years ago on this very topic:

David Henshaw - A to B Magazine, Jul 98:
".....On the subject of supermarkets. I'm very nervous about one of us upsetting a store and a total ban resulting (although quite how they could ban covered Bromptons, I don't know). It's so easy to fold the bike into (or under) a trolley, and you've then got the same cumbersome vehicle as everyone else, so the problem evaporates. The only objection we ever had was after a press-item in Dorset showing Jane wheeling her bike in a supermarket trolley with the blessing of the store manager. Someone wrote to the paper saying the tyres might have had dog pooh on them, so the bike was a health hazard. Fair enough, but the same applies to kids who are often karted around in trolleys. And Bromptons are unlikely to start screaming or eating the produce...."
My point exactly, then you have all those shopping carts that have been pushed out into the parking lots, through all the puddles that the birds have been bathing in, and have oil and god only knows what else...

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 12-12-09, 11:07 AM
  #20  
EastBiker
Dis Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
My point exactly, then you have all those shopping carts that have been pushed out into the parking lots, through all the puddles that the birds have been bathing in, and have oil and god only knows what else...

Aaron
Not all of those carts are as dirty as you make it to be. Have you seen the cart in FF's pics?
EastBiker is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ekaiko
Folding Bikes
45
09-08-16 12:48 PM
1nterceptor
Folding Bikes
10
06-23-15 09:06 AM
Still Pedaling
Folding Bikes
3
08-27-14 12:36 PM
Still Pedaling
Folding Bikes
6
09-12-13 05:26 PM
zoltani
Touring
7
02-09-10 11:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.