Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Old 02-18-17, 10:46 PM
  #3676  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
I've gone back and forth on that one. I have been seriously considering building a swift drop-bar fixed-gear. If I did that I wouldn't keep a single part from the SS. I would only get the SS for the black frame.
That's exactly why I got the SS, the frame color... Then added SRAM X7 9 Speed...
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 09:41 PM
  #3677  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paint getting beat up, anyone else?

I've gotten in a few rides on my new Xootr Swift so far and the top of the "top tube" is already showing wear from parts dinging it when folded. Has anyone else noticed this and if so did you do anything to protect it?

I was thinking either a vinyl wrap or trying to sew a cover that I could also attach a shoulder strap to for when I need to carry the bike.
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 02-19-17, 10:31 PM
  #3678  
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,400
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike View Post
I've gotten in a few rides on my new Xootr Swift so far and the top of the "top tube" is already showing wear from parts dinging it when folded. Has anyone else noticed this and if so did you do anything to protect it?

I was thinking either a vinyl wrap or trying to sew a cover that I could also attach a shoulder strap to for when I need to carry the bike.
I got me a roll of helicopter tape and stuck that on top.
jur is offline  
Old 02-20-17, 11:08 AM
  #3679  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,890

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jur View Post
I got me a roll of helicopter tape and stuck that on top.
This is an excellent idea for any bike,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 10:11 AM
  #3680  
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thinking about getting an 8 speed swift. Looking at the geometry and size, I always measured myself at 5' 10.5". At work they said was 5' 10". That puts me in between medium and large. It seems the difference is only the stem length according to the xootr website, for those two sizes. In measuring my mountain bike, the reach is about 20 inches and the medium swift reach is about 18.0 or 18.5 in (standard stem) in my 30-32 inch seat-to-pedal distance.

I wish I could turn it into a road touring bike for places like Colorado, so gearing would have to be changed. It seems cheapest to add a front chainring to add gear range (would like 18-90 gear inches). But, I do like Jur's 10 speed option which would cause a change in more parts (cassette, crankset, rear derailer, shifter, etc). Any thoughts on upgrading the gear range? I am a newbie but would love to learn to do it myself.
BikeLite is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 02:34 PM
  #3681  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'9 w/ 29.5 inseam and bought a medium which fit a lot like my road bike. It was more aggressive than I wanted for right now (I'm out of shape) so I bought a riser stem, it's a very adjustable design. I'd go with the medium if I were you want a more aggressive stance and large if you want a more upright stance...

I bought the single speed because I didn't want 8 speed and already had parts to make a 9 speed out of it. Posting details on my Swift in a minute...




Originally Posted by BikeLite View Post
Thinking about getting an 8 speed swift. Looking at the geometry and size, I always measured myself at 5' 10.5". At work they said was 5' 10". That puts me in between medium and large. It seems the difference is only the stem length according to the xootr website, for those two sizes. In measuring my mountain bike, the reach is about 20 inches and the medium swift reach is about 18.0 or 18.5 in (standard stem) in my 30-32 inch seat-to-pedal distance.

I wish I could turn it into a road touring bike for places like Colorado, so gearing would have to be changed. It seems cheapest to add a front chainring to add gear range (would like 18-90 gear inches). But, I do like Jur's 10 speed option which would cause a change in more parts (cassette, crankset, rear derailer, shifter, etc). Any thoughts on upgrading the gear range? I am a newbie but would love to learn to do it myself.
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 02:56 PM
  #3682  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here my Xootr Swift...

My wife got me a Xootr Swift for Xmas. I haven't gotten to ride it but a few times since I'm a fairweather rider at the moment but I think I have it setup to where I want it. I got the single speed since I had nicer parts in the parts bin than what comes on the stock geared bike, plus I like the black color more.

I was going to try a wide range cassette but just used what I had in my parts bin for now.

Parts I added are:

- 9 speed SRAM X7 with a 11-28 cassette
- Clix Quick Release Front Skewer from Cleary Bikes
- MKS Promenade EZY Pedals
- Topeak QR CageMount (quick release bottle cage mount)
- XLC/Avenir High Rise Fit Stem 100mm x 40 Degrees
- FSA riser bars

- VERTU saddle (Tioga Spyder knockoff from Amazon)
- Bonmixc Ergo Bike Grips (Ergon imitation from Amazon)

I love the Clix skewer, it allows the wheel to be removed (and reinstalled) with one hand and without additional loosening of the skewer nut thanks to the larger throw of the skewer’s lever.

I also got a bag in case I need to take it on a crowded train or somewhere they want the bike bagged up. It’s actually a bag for NOVA brand folding walkers but fits the bike pretty well I think and was only $20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0001.jpg (99.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg
0002.jpg (99.9 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg
0003.jpg (99.9 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg
0004.jpg (97.0 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg
0005.jpg (97.7 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg
0006.jpg (97.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg
0007.jpg (96.9 KB, 325 views)
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 02-22-17, 05:49 PM
  #3683  
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Posts: 408

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The black does look *****in, sure enough. I went with an 11/32 rear cluster 2 way SPDs , a leather saddle for Velo Orange and bar ends. Swifts are a lot of fun.
12boy is offline  
Old 02-24-17, 09:50 PM
  #3684  
bent4me
Senior Member
 
bent4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 228

Bikes: Recumbents

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike View Post
My wife got me a Xootr Swift for Xmas. I haven't gotten to ride it but a few times since I'm a fairweather rider at the moment but I think I have it setup to where I want it. I got the single speed since I had nicer parts in the parts bin than what comes on the stock geared bike, plus I like the black color more.

I was going to try a wide range cassette but just used what I had in my parts bin for now.

Parts I added are:

- 9 speed SRAM X7 with a 11-28 cassette
- Clix Quick Release Front Skewer from Cleary Bikes
- MKS Promenade EZY Pedals
- Topeak QR CageMount (quick release bottle cage mount)
- XLC/Avenir High Rise Fit Stem 100mm x 40 Degrees
- FSA riser bars

- VERTU saddle (Tioga Spyder knockoff from Amazon)
- Bonmixc Ergo Bike Grips (Ergon imitation from Amazon)

I love the Clix skewer, it allows the wheel to be removed (and reinstalled) with one hand and without additional loosening of the skewer nut thanks to the larger throw of the skewer’s lever.

I also got a bag in case I need to take it on a crowded train or somewhere they want the bike bagged up. It’s actually a bag for NOVA brand folding walkers but fits the bike pretty well I think and was only $20.
I bought mine used. It came with a Shimano 105 rear der and a Paul Thumby shifter and 9 speed 11/32 cassette. The previous owner never changed out the 8 speed chain. I replaced the chain and shifter to cheap rapid fire. All works great and find the gear range perfect for 99%. I have put over 3k miles in less than 6 months and that's coming from recumbents. I just replaced the original tires from Kwest 60 psi to Kwest 100 psi and frankly I don't notice any speed difference. All in all a great bike but I can appreciate larger wheels for comfort and speed.
bent4me is offline  
Old 02-24-17, 10:02 PM
  #3685  
bent4me
Senior Member
 
bent4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Englishtown, NJ
Posts: 228

Bikes: Recumbents

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a pic

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABssCKEwN...80989876_n.jpg
bent4me is offline  
Old 02-25-17, 08:22 AM
  #3686  
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Posts: 408

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One good thing about bar ends is that if you travel with a suitable allen wrench,, or carry a multitool, you can turn them up so that if you flip the bike over it can form a tripod between the saddle and bar ends. Removing/reinstalling the rear tire with those track type dropouts is much easier when the bike is upside down and while the ends of the bar ends may be scuffed the other stuff on the handle bar won't be. I have a bag having off the saddle and the flap protects my leather saddle. when placed between the ground and the saddle.
12boy is offline  
Old 02-26-17, 02:05 PM
  #3687  
samkl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 277

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, 1990 Miyata 1000, 1987 Cannondale SR400 AKA Prairie Chicken, 2017 Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike View Post
My wife got me a Xootr Swift for Xmas. I haven't gotten to ride it but a few times since I'm a fairweather rider at the moment but I think I have it setup to where I want it. I got the single speed since I had nicer parts in the parts bin than what comes on the stock geared bike, plus I like the black color more.

I was going to try a wide range cassette but just used what I had in my parts bin for now.

Parts I added are:

- 9 speed SRAM X7 with a 11-28 cassette
- Clix Quick Release Front Skewer from
- MKS Promenade EZY Pedals
- Topeak QR CageMount (quick release bottle cage mount)
- XLC/Avenir High Rise Fit Stem 100mm x 40 Degrees
- FSA riser bars

- VERTU saddle (Tioga Spyder knockoff from Amazon)
- Bonmixc Ergo Bike Grips (Ergon imitation from Amazon)

I love the Clix skewer, it allows the wheel to be removed (and reinstalled) with one hand and without additional loosening of the skewer nut thanks to the larger throw of the skewer’s lever.

I also got a bag in case I need to take it on a crowded train or somewhere they want the bike bagged up. It’s actually a bag for NOVA brand folding walkers but fits the bike pretty well I think and was only $20.
Nice looking bike! How do you like those strapless pedal clips? What kind are they?
samkl is offline  
Old 02-26-17, 11:34 PM
  #3688  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like them so far. They are mostly for keeping your foot in the correct position more than anything else.

Any gain you could possibly derive from the pulling up part of the pedal stroke (if there ever is any which is debated) is lost without a strap.

They are Zefal "Cristophe" clips. I'm a size 10 and would probably get the S/M of I bought them again.
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 02-27-17, 09:53 AM
  #3689  
pismocycleguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a longer chain needed??

Originally Posted by 12boy View Post
The black does look *****in, sure enough. I went with an 11/32 rear cluster 2 way SPDs , a leather saddle for Velo Orange and bar ends. Swifts are a lot of fun.
12boy,
When you changed out the 11/28 rear cassette did you need to purchase a longer drive chain to compensate for the larger diameter 11/32 rear cluster?
pismocycleguy is offline  
Old 02-27-17, 02:47 PM
  #3690  
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Posts: 408

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe I did. The chain was a KMC Z and I use them a lot so I would have some extra links from other projects and adding a few links would not be remembered. I did have to fiddle with the limits on the RD a bit so it would go on up. For my needs that is a big enough spread for me although if I replace the chain ring I would probably contact Vuelta for a 56 because I could have gotten by with the 11/28 and I wouldn't mind a little more on top.
12boy is offline  
Old 02-27-17, 03:22 PM
  #3691  
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
The original steel Swift is 7 lbs heavier than the Xootr aluminum. It's also $975 and made in the USA. The Xootr is $675 and made in Taiwan. I believe you can still get the steel Swift from here: SWIFTFOLDER.COM

Last link is broken.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 02-27-17, 05:31 PM
  #3692  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,890

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
Last link is broken.
Here ya go: Home
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 02-28-17, 09:28 PM
  #3693  
randomwon
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headset

Can anybody recommend a integrated threadless headset for the swift or the Outer diameter of the frame cup of the swift

Last edited by randomwon; 02-28-17 at 09:40 PM.
randomwon is offline  
Old 03-06-17, 08:32 PM
  #3694  
iamdougsbike
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randomwon View Post
Can anybody recommend a integrated threadless headset for the swift or the Outer diameter of the frame cup of the swift
The headset for a Xootr Swift and stock Swift Folder is a normal 1 1/8" threaded headset.

An integrated headset will only work in a frame specifically designed for an integrated headset. The bearings are actually seated in the frame instead of in pressed in cups. The Xootr Swift and the stock Swift Folder don't use this kind of headset. I suppose you could contact Peter Reich who could build one with that type of headtube but it would be a custom job.

They also don't normally use threadless headsets since the handlepost is removed as part of the full fold. You could use a threadless headset but then you'd need a locking headset spacer to keep the fork from falling out of the frame when the handlepost was removed. I believe this is what Jur uses on his titanium Swift's but the handlepost is also custom made and doesn't use a quick release. Since the stock fork has a threaded steerer it would also likely need to be replaced to use a threadless headset.

-Doug

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 03-06-17 at 08:35 PM.
iamdougsbike is offline  
Old 03-07-17, 08:17 PM
  #3695  
samkl 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 277

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, 1990 Miyata 1000, 1987 Cannondale SR400 AKA Prairie Chicken, 2017 Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What's the size of the quick releases on the seat tube? Would a 6x60mm replacement fit?
samkl is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 05:03 AM
  #3696  
randomwon
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl View Post
What's the size of the quick releases on the seat tube? Would a 6x60mm replacement fit?
6 x 50
randomwon is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 07:35 PM
  #3697  
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anybody ever used one of the 40mm front derailleur adapters on ebay for their swift? I see two, one made by litepro for 35 bucks.
BikeLite is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 09:03 PM
  #3698  
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,400
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Let me have a look, link?
jur is offline  
Old 03-08-17, 10:01 PM
  #3699  
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur View Post
Let me have a look, link?
Folding 40mm SP8 Bike Front Derailleur Adapter Single for Double/ Triple Black | eBay

Taiwan made Braze-On Front Derailleur Adapter For Folding Bike , Black | eBay

LitePro Braze-On K-Series Front Derailleur Clamp Adapter For Dahon K Frame | eBay
BikeLite is offline  
Old 03-09-17, 04:42 AM
  #3700  
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,400
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
None of those will work. They were designed for Dahon type frames where the seat tube is behind the bottom bracket. That's why the position where the derailer is mounted is forwards.

You need the opposite, where the derailer is slightly backwards and angled downwards to match the small wheel geometry. There used to be a dedicated Swift version, I used that with success. Perhaps they still have stock.
jur is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.