Bikes we like

13  21  22  23  24  25  33 
Page 23 of 48
Go to
But that frame is steel, or not? Steel won't mind if you bend it back.
Quote: That bike has it attached to the frame(?), so if it gets hit and damaged the frame itself is damaged. Not a great idea.
This. Plus,getting a derailleur wheel off with the dropout facing back is a PITA. I've had to do it to a pair of Surlys at my clinic;it's not super hard,but def trickier than regular verticals. Also note,if you're running fenders,you may need to pop the struts to pull the wheel.

If I ran the zoo,I'd use sliding dropouts. Track ends are for track bikes.

Quote: But that frame is steel, or not? Steel won't mind if you bend it back.
Depends on how well that small loop is welded to the frame. Not the same as a tube.
If I can't easily replace the derailer hanger I'd pass on it.
Quote: Depends on how well that small loop is welded to the frame. Not the same as a tube.
Generations of road bikes had their hangers part of the dropout. Was never a problem with steel frames.
love the saddle and headlight...i wonder who made it first schwinn(loop) or dudebike!!!



Quote:
i wonder who made it first schwinn(loop)
They just bought a bunch and rebadged them . I expect.

generic European design.. seen Italian badged.. shown just here (didnt have to look far)
Quote: Generations of road bikes had their hangers part of the dropout. Was never a problem with steel frames.
Yes,but note my biggest complaint was wheel removal. Not a fan of track ends to begin with,really don't like them with derailleurs.
Quote: Yes,but note my biggest complaint was wheel removal. Not a fan of track ends to begin with,really don't like them with derailleurs.
+1

My biggest complaint about my bully, getting the wheel off with a derailleur and horizontal dropouts is a ***** and with a disc brake mount it complicates it even more although my chain tensioners do help relocate everything. I am close to cutting off the rear triangle and rebuilding it with vertical drops but I think I wil just make a whole new frame.


radnall/cresswell/pashley micro cycle/bike:

very cool machine. if anybody has one of these sitting around the shed collecting dust, pm me.



Velo (Micro) : ??????????


Flickriver: Most interesting photos from The Micro bike pool







interestingly, the hinge clamp on the micro is the same as the clamp assembly on the dawes kingpin. this same clamp would later be used on the brompton.



Quote: radnall/cresswell/pashley micro cycle/bike:

very cool machine. if anybody has one of these sitting around the shed collecting dust, pm me.



Velo (Micro) : ??????????


Flickriver: Most interesting photos from The Micro bike pool







interestingly, the hinge clamp on the micro is the same as the clamp assembly on the dawes kingpin. this same clamp would later be used on the brompton.



vintage folding Bicycle | eBay looks very similar I found on ebay uk today!
Quote: vintage folding Bicycle | eBay looks very similar I found on ebay uk today!
yes, that's it!
hello
my new carbon bike:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unconformist/


Quote: hello
my new carbon bike:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unconformist/


beautiful. really stunning.

awhile back, i took the liberty of posting a couple of your other bikes here.

brilliant bikes. your craftsmanship and design sense are impressive and inspirational.

thank you for sharing this.
Folding Bike + Fold Bike Trailer

I use this bike for both urban use and for touring.




link=
joaozinhomenininho: Bike Trailer de Carga (fiz na garagem de casa, modelo "Família") - reboque para bicicleta
folding cargo trailer is interesting But The hitch to the bike looks flimsy .. it would allow an excessive amount of twisting .

it Should be as strong as the fork supporting that 1 trailer wheel .


teaser :-) just took it for a short spin, or so was the plan , ended up doing a "lunchride" with it. Its very nice

thor
Thank you for helping me write and positively interpret the strengths and weaknesses of this bike trailer ... with humility and listen carefully read all (friends, colleagues, cyclists ...) and tried to appreciate the good things and correct the errors of construction of this "bike trailer".


I have an open mind to new suggestions and criticisms to improve even more this accessory touring !!!


hugs
joaozinho







Thank you for allowing me to learn and exchange
information daque of Brazil with you ...
Quote:
Love the style of this bike, super-clean, classic build, but...

- clever placement of shifter, but unsure why it's not further up the stem, on the bars, or at the bar end. Seems like form over function.

- rear brake cable routing from the bottom keeps things looking clean, but experience says it will retain water and rust cable/housing.
Quote: Love the style of this bike, super-clean, classic build, but...

- clever placement of shifter, but unsure why it's not further up the stem, on the bars, or at the bar end. Seems like form over function.

- rear brake cable routing from the bottom keeps things looking clean, but experience says it will retain water and rust cable/housing.
thanks, mconlonx. i love this bike a little more every time i ride it.

you're partly right about the shifter placement- it's current location is probably the "best looking" place for it, but since shifting is only done occasionally, it's also not really a compromise in efficiency either. it works.

you are probably right about the cable housing collecting water over time, but how else would you do it? in an "s" curve down the top tube, up the seat tube, then back down the seat stay? that would be pretty ugly and surely elicit a "horrible cable routing" response from dynaryder...

i am open to any suggestions.

also, i toyed with the idea of adding a top tube to this bike, but i'm glad i didn't do that. structurally, it really doesn't need it. aesthetically, well, it would just be a different bike.

a couple of months ago i sketched up a few ideas for a 349mm diamond frame bike. i'm currently talking to a frame builder about it, but i would love to hear any suggestions from you and others.

thanks.

Could you mount the brake caliper near the bottom bracket. That would keep it clean looking.
Quote: Could you mount the brake caliper near the bottom bracket. That would keep it clean looking.
that's a good suggestion, bhyke. in fact, i did attempt to do that because it would have allowed me to use a spare top-pull diacompe dual-pivot brake i had in the bin. the problem is, the cross-brace has a large hole drilled through it horizontally as a fender mount. i didn't want to drill a vertical hole through for fear of weakening and damaging the brace. i tried some other klugey nonsense to get it to work, but ultimately i had no luck.
Quote: you're partly right about the shifter placement- it's current location is probably the "best looking" place for it, but since shifting is only done occasionally, it's also not really a compromise in efficiency either. it works.

you are probably right about the cable housing collecting water over time, but how else would you do it? in an "s" curve down the top tube, up the seat tube, then back down the seat stay? that would be pretty ugly and surely elicit a "horrible cable routing" response from dynaryder...

i am open to any suggestions.

also, i toyed with the idea of adding a top tube to this bike, but i'm glad i didn't do that. structurally, it really doesn't need it. aesthetically, well, it would just be a different bike.

a couple of months ago i sketched up a few ideas for a 349mm diamond frame bike. i'm currently talking to a frame builder about it, but i would love to hear any suggestions from you and others.
Again, totally classy looking bike, very elegant build.

I hear you on the shifter. Is that a 3sp out back? In that case, makes a lot of sense.

And yes, no elegant way to route the cable/housing which would not cause the issue I mentioned. Best I can think of on that bike would be some kind of housing stop/pulley off the seatpost/seatpost clamp/seat tube, and a centerpull brake... but which would still result in a potential place for water to pool and rust things, and would look way kludgier, less elegant. A coaster brake hub would certainly clean things up...

For the custom design you illustrate, I'd be tempted to do one of three things:
- radically sloped tt going up way nearer to the stem area and resultant long headtube, more like the geo on some Dahon models like the Dash, Bullhead, Smooth Hound, etc.
- semi-truss frame like Tyrell -- seatstays going up to the top of the ht, seat tube sloping down to the ht/dt juncture.
- triple triangle, with the seat stays extending to the tt a few inches forward of the st.
looked at the new Magura RT6 brake , it uses Regular D-A type brake pads , and thru bike24
there is a mix of the HS33 lever/ master and the RT6 aero caliper..

running 349-32 Kojacks I'd expect a good fit.. The hydraulic rim brake feels like butter in smooth actuation and modulation ..

even with a circuitous routing
(like step thru frames to seat stay brace mounted sidepulls, with bottom push housing that inevitably fills with water and has the cable seized in rust )

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...0,321;mid=38/F
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?product=...0,321;mid=38/R
Quote: Again, totally classy looking bike, very elegant build.

I hear you on the shifter. Is that a 3sp out back? In that case, makes a lot of sense.
yes, it's a brompton wide range SA hub.

Quote:
And yes, no elegant way to route the cable/housing which would not cause the issue I mentioned. Best I can think of on that bike would be some kind of housing stop/pulley off the seatpost/seatpost clamp/seat tube, and a centerpull brake... but which would still result in a potential place for water to pool and rust things, and would look way kludgier, less elegant. A coaster brake hub would certainly clean things up...
regarding the brake placement. now that bhyke has reminded me of my previous attempt of mounting to the chainstay, i'm going to try that again. i think that is going to be the best solution.

Quote:
For the custom design you illustrate, I'd be tempted to do one of three things:
- radically sloped tt going up way nearer to the stem area and resultant long headtube, more like the geo on some Dahon models like the Dash, Bullhead, Smooth Hound, etc.
- semi-truss frame like Tyrell -- seatstays going up to the top of the ht, seat tube sloping down to the ht/dt juncture.
- triple triangle, with the seat stays extending to the tt a few inches forward of the st.
some of what you're describing sounds similar to the idea i had for a 451 bike.

13  21  22  23  24  25  33 
Page 23 of 48
Go to