Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-15, 07:56 AM   #26
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
We will. But only adapter. Here are some photos.
Looks good. I'd like to carry a T-Bag, but am not set about which Dahon/Tern I'll get.

How much does the adapter cost, and how long would it take? Do you have a web page for infos?
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 08:21 AM   #27
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
Looks good. I'd like to carry a T-Bag, but am not set about which Dahon/Tern I'll get.

How much does the adapter cost, and how long would it take? Do you have a web page for infos?
As a matter of fact, we just put it into limited production (10 samples, fully CNC) because this post by you. So you can be our pilot tester (free sample) after we done some initial test next week. You do know the Brompton front carrier block is required for this to work (we won't make any compatible unit because of the copyright.) Will let you know more when we have the samples.

Do you foresee the dahon stem and handlebar or cables to interfere the T bag in such configuration?

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 01-03-15 at 08:25 AM.
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 11:49 AM   #28
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,785
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
Quote:
...but am not set about which Dahon/Tern I'll get.
Jeez ..another pre Worrier , why not get a Brompton instead if you really want to fit the Big touring Bag?

all this time, you dont own either?

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-03-15 at 11:52 AM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 01:07 PM   #29
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Do you foresee the dahon stem and handlebar or cables to interfere the T bag in such configuration?
I mentioned that because 1) I read it elsewhere and 2) I briefly owned a Tern bicycle this year and noticed that the brake/derailleur cables stuck out further ahead than the Brompton.

I currently don't own a Dahon/Tern but will likely get one soon as an alternative to the Brompton I've been riding since last July; I'm looking for something faster and less wobbly, and was looking for a way to carry a Brompton bag, hence my post.

Incidently, since you have the tech skills, you might also look into providing a way to carry a bag in the front on Birdy bikes, since RundM don't seem interested in providing a solution (although there isn't much clearance.)

Last edited by Winfried; 01-03-15 at 01:11 PM.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 05:12 PM   #30
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
......
Incidently, since you have the tech skills, you might also look into providing a way to carry a bag in the front on Birdy bikes, since RundM don't seem interested in providing a solution (although there isn't much clearance.)



Here it goes, I think this one will fit dahon 3 screws type (15mm / 15mm) head tube , but don't know what the distance is between the two screws on Tern (16mm?).

There are front racks that fixed on fork for birdy bike and no headtube screws to fix the luggage carrier block. Have to figure out some other way to frame mount the luggage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D to B.jpg (71.7 KB, 315 views)
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 06:18 PM   #31
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Here it goes, I think this one will fit dahon 3 screws type (15mm / 15mm) head tube , but don't know what the distance is between the two screws on Tern (16mm?).
If no one here has a Tern to check, you might want to ask in Tern's forum.

I ordered a Tern Verge P20 and would been interested in test-trying your adapter to hook a Brompton luggage block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
There are front racks that fixed on fork for birdy bike and no headtube screws to fix the luggage carrier block. Have to figure out some other way to frame mount the luggage.
I'm no engineer, but it seems a hard call, as there's not even any space above and below the head tube to use eg. zipties to secure an adapter to hold a front bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdy.headtube.luggage.block.jpg (19.1 KB, 286 views)
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 06:25 PM   #32
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
If no one here has a Tern to check, you might want to ask in Tern's forum.

I ordered a Tern Verge P20 and would been interested in test-trying your adapter to hook a Brompton luggage block.
..............
Great, I will try this on my dahon first, we might need a different version for Tern.
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 06:59 AM   #33
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Interestingly, Tern and Dahon don't use the same truss. Besides, Dahon says it can hold 9kg while Tern says it can only carry 7kg:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tern.dahon.baggage.truss.jpg (27.1 KB, 294 views)
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 01:48 PM   #34
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM7, 1987 Dahon Classic III, 2007 Cannondale Capo, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i3
Posts: 5,054
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Well, just the thing to mount a Chapman Game Bag on the front of a Dahon Mu Rohloff.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 01:57 PM   #35
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
Interestingly, Tern and Dahon don't use the same truss. Besides, Dahon says it can hold 9kg while Tern says it can only carry 7kg:


Yet one more from Klickfix system.
Handlebar adapter for head tube
(on head tube threads)
http://www.klickfix.de/index.php?mod=1&lang=en

I just fitted this adapter on my dahon 3 screws headtube. I have to use the adapter plate as shown in the 2nd picture below (30mm between screws). Now I wonder what the 16mm without adapter plate is for?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16mm.jpg (14.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg 30mm.jpg (17.8 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg kkk.jpg (35.2 KB, 284 views)
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 08:49 PM   #36
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The Klickfix system is the 0211ST or the 0211VO(L). They hold only 5kg, and judging by the way they look, it looks likely that Klickfix might actually have built the luggage truss sold by Tern and Dahon under their own brand.

16mm looks like the distance between the two nuts on Tern bikes. Maybe Klickfix uses a drawing common to Dahon and Tern?
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 10:01 AM   #37
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Here it goes, I think this one will fit dahon 3 screws type (15mm / 15mm) head tube , but don't know what the distance is between the two screws on Tern (16mm?).
The Tern got in this morning. From center to center, the space is about 27,6mm:


The screws are 5mm.

If you have a PayPal account, I can send some money to pay for the work + postage. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tern.Verge.P20_front.carrier.tube_measurement.jpg (34.8 KB, 300 views)
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 12:09 PM   #38
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,785
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
What is the size of the Brompton Head tube Steel Piece on the headtube? and how far apart are the 5mm threaded Holes? (I dont want to take mine Apart)
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 04:34 PM   #39
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
What is the size of the Brompton Head tube Steel Piece on the headtube?
You mean the part that's welded to the headtube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
and how far apart are the 5mm threaded Holes? (I dont want to take mine Apart)
26mm. Damn, Tern could have used the same distance and make it compatible with Brompton
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 04:40 PM   #40
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,785
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
yea, Honda and Toyota wont do that either ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 05:10 PM   #41
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I don't understand why that'd be a stupid statement.

Tern doesn't make bags, so it doesn't matter to them.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 05:59 AM   #42
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
The Tern got in this morning. From center to center, the space is about 27,6mm:


The screws are 5mm.

If you have a PayPal account, I can send some money to pay for the work + postage. Thank you.
Thanks for the photo. I believe the brompton's distance is 1 inch? 25.4mm? Anyway, we have to redesign the block with some more tolerance. I can not use the block on my 3 holes Dahon with two screws. The brompton side is perfect match though. We will incorporate Tern spec and maybe water bottle cage screws in our next design. Please stay tuned.

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 01-25-15 at 06:07 AM.
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 06:29 AM   #43
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
I believe the brompton's distance is 1 inch? 25.4mm?
According to someone technical, the distance from center to center is actually 26mm (one inch = 25,4mm), and the screws are M5 (I guess that means 5mm in diameter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Anyway, we have to redesign the block with some more tolerance. I can not use the block on my 3 holes Dahon with two screws. The brompton side is perfect match though. We will incorporate Tern spec and maybe water bottle cage screws in our next design. Please stay tuned.
Maybe Tern would be interested in providing infos because it would seem like a good marketing move to make it possible for Tern users to have access to the great Brompton bags as well as those meant for the Klickfix adapter : Contact | Tern Folding Bike and Folding Bicycle Accessories | Worldwide

If you need, I could take a mould and send it to you if there's some practical material available for that purpose.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 11:20 AM   #44
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,785
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
Machining, traditionally measurements are to the Center axis Point of the hole >+<
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 03:48 PM   #45
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
More infos about the Brompton side of things: The welded part is 35.3mm high, 8.3mm wide, and uses M5 thread ("ISO 0.8mm", I'm told).
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 09:55 PM   #46
budgee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Bikes: Tern Verge P18
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I agree that the Terns will be better if the Brompton bags can be mounted.
It gives the bike more stability with some weight in front.
So anyway, I bought a Brompton Front block and modified it to fit my Tern.
To make it work, I had to get two 6mm bolts and some washers. This will enable the block to be able to withstand the weight of the Brompton bags. Since the holes in the block and the metal backing is not the same as for the Tern, I needed to drill both to fit the bolts.
All in all, I am happy with the result since I can use both the Brompton Mini O Bag from Ortlieb and the Brompton C bag.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-IMG_3910s.jpg (99.5 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by budgee; 01-27-15 at 03:20 AM. Reason: grammar
budgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 09:39 AM   #47
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgee View Post
So anyway, I bought a Brompton Front block and modified it to fit my Tern. To make it work, I had to get two 6mm bolts and some washers. This will enable the block to be able to withstand the weight of the Brompton bags. Since the holes in the block and the metal backing is not the same as for the Tern, I needed to drill both to fit the bolts.
Thanks for the info. I'll get a second Brompton luggage block and use a power drill to give it a try.

Is it easy to fit 6mm bolts instead, since original bolts are 5mm?

Hopefully, the bigger bolts will be strong enough to hold a full T-Bag even though the Tern uses aluminum. If it looks edgy, I'll carry some of the stuff in a Koala or Apidura saddle bag.

Last edited by Winfried; 01-27-15 at 09:43 AM.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 11:25 AM   #48
budgee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Bikes: Tern Verge P18
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll get a second Brompton luggage block and use a power drill to give it a try.

Is it easy to fit 6mm bolts instead, since original bolts are 5mm?

Hopefully, the bigger bolts will be strong enough to hold a full T-Bag even though the Tern uses aluminum. If it looks edgy, I'll carry some of the stuff in a Koala or Apidura saddle bag.


You say the original bolts are 5mm? You mean the original for the Tern or the Brompton?
budgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 12:13 PM   #49
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 27,785
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2786 Post(s)
My Brompton goes down on the 5x.8 side , Perhaps the 6x1 is an adaptation to the softer nature of the frame being aluminum .
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 07:56 PM   #50
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
I measured the Tern bolts, and they're actually 5,80mm.

According to some Brompton user, they're "M5, ISO 0.8mm". I have no idea what that means.

So, is it OK to force-use 6mm bolts?
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION