Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-15, 09:10 AM   #76
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip. I checked with a magnet, and it's not steel so I guess it's aluminum.

Considering that a bag hanging from the Brompton block is closer to the frame than when hanging from the Tern luggage truss, less force is applied to the baseplate so just piling two washers around each bolt could be enough to prevent excessive stress around the holes on the block.

Last step: The baseplate on the Tern is taller (about 44,6mm) and wider (15,3mm) than the one of the Brompton. Because of this, a bag will wobble a bit horizontally, so I'll carve the inside to get the block to fit better against the baseplate.

… which looks like the perfect excuse to get a Dremel mini-drill :-)

I assume some people here know about those tools: Which model + extensions would you recommend that I can also use later for other works?

Thank you.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 10:29 AM   #77
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
It only took a bit of carving with a mini-drill and the T-Bag seems to hold:


To be safe, I won't carry more than 8kg, which is between the 7kg recommended by Tern with their longer luggage truss and the 10kg recommended by Brompton on their steel-made bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tern.Verge.P20.Brompton.block.T-Bag.jpg (82.9 KB, 656 views)
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 08:27 AM   #78
budgee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Bikes: Tern Verge P18
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
It only took a bit of carving with a mini-drill and the T-Bag seems to hold:


To be safe, I won't carry more than 8kg, which is between the 7kg recommended by Tern with their longer luggage truss and the 10kg recommended by Brompton on their steel-made bike.


Congrats! You did it!..
Quite well done... and the T bag metal frame does not touch the handlepost???
budgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 12:21 PM   #79
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,137
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
note: Being fixed to the head tube, the real issue is hitting the brake Levers as they swing over or possibly into the bag,
as you turn the wheel, for balance.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 07:02 PM   #80
Winfried
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Winfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Paris, France
Bikes:
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgee View Post
and the T bag metal frame does not touch the handlepost?
Nope, no problem at all. The handlebar is high enough and the brake/derailleur cables don't get in the way.

Considering its luggage truss is custom-made anyway, I wish Tern had had the smarts of making its luggage socket the same size as Brompton's so that users could use either Brompton's baggage block or Tern's (Klickfix's?) luggage truss, and buy any Brompton- or Klickfix-based bags

RadicalDesign rulez (and its Roltoptas bag is even bigger than its T-Bag manufactured for Brompton).

Last edited by Winfried; 03-21-15 at 07:15 PM.
Winfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 12:51 AM   #81
dr3do
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Berne, Switzerland
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@bike.gang.uk

Where to get this litte adapter (http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...4&d=1420292790) to attach the Brompton Block on a Tern?
dr3do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 04:41 AM   #82
desriantoandika
Junior Member
 
desriantoandika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bekasi
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dahon MU P8 with front carrier block and Brompton S bag





https://www.flickr.com/photos/132680.../in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132680.../in/datetaken/

dika
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OI000102s.jpg (51.2 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg P9064342s.jpg (43.0 KB, 611 views)
desriantoandika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 01:55 AM   #83
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3do View Post
@bike.gang.uk

Where to get this litte adapter (http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...4&d=1420292790) to attach the Brompton Block on a Tern?
How about this instead, with the base designed for Tern or Dahon? You can fit brompton bag on it directly. I am more worrying about the clearance in front of it for other folders.



Attached Images
File Type: jpg 小人豬鼻罩水壺架.JPG (78.3 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg 12369129_10153748224475270_6710359707398377234_n.jpg (44.7 KB, 628 views)

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 12-30-15 at 01:59 AM.
bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 12:59 PM   #84
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,137
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
differences in bolt spacing makes making 1 for each standard Realistic for the competing bikes .

CNC CAM that should be easy enough , in that aluminum Part ..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 03:13 AM   #85
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
differences in bolt spacing makes making 1 for each standard Realistic for the competing bikes .

CNC CAM that should be easy enough , in that aluminum Part ..
Yes, we are back to this project, will make two samples ... @dr3do



bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 03:57 AM   #86
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
For Dahons? I am about to atack a B lugageblock to fit it to my Curve but would rather have a custom made one for Dahon.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 10:50 AM   #87
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,137
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
Plastic one wont suffer Metal Fatigue , how many flexing cycles, replicating rough roads for Years of use with a Heavy front bag load,

are you testing that Aluminium one to take & not crack?
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 01:55 PM   #88
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Plastic one wont suffer Metal Fatigue , how many flexing cycles, replicating rough roads for Years of use with a Heavy front bag load,

are you testing that Aluminium one to take & not crack?
Even the Brompton luggageblock is supposed to be changed every xx kilometer. Nothing lasts forever.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 08:07 AM   #89
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,137
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
I just occasionally re tighten the screws holding the block to the frame.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 08:12 AM   #90
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,137
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
I Note: Dahon puts their luggage block fitting into a compatibility with Klick Fix Mounts.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 03:43 AM   #91
bike.gang.uk
Senior Member
 
bike.gang.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Minor adjustment required but should be OK to go, now I need to pump up the tyres ...





bike.gang.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-16, 03:55 AM   #92
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: 7+,...
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Nice!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 01:55 AM   #93
ismail
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, great job, Sir ...

Is the spare still available?
I want one please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Yes, we are back to this project, will make two samples ... @dr3do



ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 06:06 PM   #94
mainstreetexile
rain dog
 
mainstreetexile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk View Post
Looks good! Have you tried it with a Brompton T / Touring bag?

Any eta for when they'll be available for sale or price info?
mainstreetexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 09:45 AM   #95
lemauve
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile View Post
Looks good! Have you tried it with a Brompton T / Touring bag?

Any eta for when they'll be available for sale or price info?


I agree with Mainstreetexile.

I would love to buy one too!
I'm also in San Diego!!!
lemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 03:49 PM   #96
slickginger
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hey guys! Dead thread I know. Let me know if I should start anew.

Do you know how much of an offset is required for the stock Brompton mount to clear the Tern/Dahon headtube without grinding anything? I'm designing a prototype adapter, and would like this info so it's a completely reversible non-DIY mod. Just doing stress analysis on it now and this offset is a major driver.

Admittedly I'm mostly just doing it for myself since I'm a daily folder commuter (Tern D7i pretty much stock) and getting sick of slinging my Timbuk2 bag! I'll have to introduce myself to the forum, just found this place and I'm very impressed with the amount of conversation on here compared with the Tern forums!
slickginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 01:50 AM   #97
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickginger View Post
Hey guys! Dead thread I know. Let me know if I should start anew.

Do you know how much of an offset is required for the stock Brompton mount to clear the Tern/Dahon headtube without grinding anything? I'm designing a prototype adapter, and would like this info so it's a completely reversible non-DIY mod. Just doing stress analysis on it now and this offset is a major driver.

Admittedly I'm mostly just doing it for myself since I'm a daily folder commuter (Tern D7i pretty much stock) and getting sick of slinging my Timbuk2 bag! I'll have to introduce myself to the forum, just found this place and I'm very impressed with the amount of conversation on here compared with the Tern forums!
If you`ve got the bike and the Brompton block why not put some clay or similar between the two and measure the casting you get? I decided to grind down a Brompton front block (the plastic) to fit on my Dahon Curve since I did not want to wait for the one from bike.gang.uk This way of grinding it down destroys the strenght in the structure but I filled the (new) holes up with hard plastic. Not sure if I would trust it for touring with a full load but for commuting I would use it.

This solution is reversible for the bike but not for the Brompton block but that one is cheap.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 03:44 PM   #98
slickginger
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
If you`ve got the bike and the Brompton block why not put some clay or similar between the two and measure the casting you get? I decided to grind down a Brompton front block (the plastic) to fit on my Dahon Curve since I did not want to wait for the one from bike.gang.uk This way of grinding it down destroys the strenght in the structure but I filled the (new) holes up with hard plastic. Not sure if I would trust it for touring with a full load but for commuting I would use it.

This solution is reversible for the bike but not for the Brompton block but that one is cheap.
Hey whatever works. I like designing stuff so this is how I am solving the problem. I'm waiting for my block to come in, otherwise I'd just be able to measure it myself. Oh well, I'll just wait . I want to retain all of the strength of the original block, just adapt it to work on Terns/Dahons.

Which bag did you end up with?
slickginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 05:13 PM   #99
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickginger View Post
Hey whatever works. I like designing stuff so this is how I am solving the problem. I'm waiting for my block to come in, otherwise I'd just be able to measure it myself. Oh well, I'll just wait . I want to retain all of the strength of the original block, just adapt it to work on Terns/Dahons.

Which bag did you end up with?
Just remember the strain on the block is going to be different when you place it further from the headtube- as you do when using a adaptor. also the strain on the bolts.

We (me and son) have had ur Bromptons for some time so using the same bags for several bikes. I have added a Brompton block to two old steel detatchable 20" bikes in the past, there is some info about it in some old threads.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/778361...posted-public/

We have two Brompton baskets with my special rolltop modification and I bought a T bag this summer. Working on a smaller bag that can be used on both ClickFix and Brompton system.

I know what it is like to wait for parts. Just recived the wrong parts for some brakes and has to start from scratch ordering new parts
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 12:01 PM   #100
slickginger
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Just remember the strain on the block is going to be different when you place it further from the headtube- as you do when using a adaptor. also the strain on the bolts.

We (me and son) have had ur Bromptons for some time so using the same bags for several bikes. I have added a Brompton block to two old steel detatchable 20" bikes in the past, there is some info about it in some old threads.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/778361...posted-public/

We have two Brompton baskets with my special rolltop modification and I bought a T bag this summer. Working on a smaller bag that can be used on both ClickFix and Brompton system.

I know what it is like to wait for parts. Just recived the wrong parts for some brakes and has to start from scratch ordering new parts
I'm actually all over the strain part of that using FEA and (once I have the required offset) real-world testing. I'm a design engineer by trade, so I fully acknowledge that point and want to make sure this thing is structurally sound. Fatigue strength is probably the biggest issue but I don't believe that Brompton themselves are actually looking at that, so I'm not too worried. We'll see!

Isn't waiting for parts the worst?! I just want to get moving... ship faster!
slickginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION