Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

reference angles in autocad

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

reference angles in autocad

Reply

Old 04-21-05, 07:45 PM
  #1  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
reference angles in autocad

I was drawing this thing today, we are doing sectional drawings for autocad. and one of the things to draw was a bolt guard from Stanley hydraulics.
I was doing well until I got to a certain part and the teacher explained how to do it. Basically, its a circle with an offshoot
I have attached a picture of what had to be done
Just pretend the blue lines were the center lines
Line A must be tangent to the circle, and the actual line if it were extended far enough would be 14 degrees with the vertical center line (if that makes sense, i know my wording is off, as well my drawing a bit).
So the teacher said turn under Osnap settings turn off everything but tangent. And use the line tool and click on the circle then type:
@-5<76
I get the <76 part, since 14 from 90 is 76, but i dont get the @-5. He said it was just a reference angle, can somebody clarify? Would it have worked if I said @-6 or @-21? Thanks
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 07:52 PM
  #2  
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer
 
gonesh9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: portland, or
Posts: 1,712

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I'm understanding you right, the -5 is just an arbitrary length to make a line. So you could have made it -6 or -21.
__________________
Bicycle-eye
gonesh9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 07:53 PM
  #3  
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your teacher's full of it. The -5 is the length of the line (list it to see). In that example, you don't need a reference angle. That's really only used for rotating elements.
Allister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 07:55 PM
  #4  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
-5 was not the length of the line. The length had to something like 2.9. So for that I just drew a perpendicular line and offset it. But thas a whole nother story. He said something about it being an arbritrary # he used so i think goneh9 is right
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:04 PM
  #5  
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer
 
gonesh9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: portland, or
Posts: 1,712

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah this is a bit confusing. The -5 is infact the length of the line, but you could have used any number. The confusing bit, which is what Allister touched on, is that this doesn't have anything to do with a reference angle. What you did is draw a line 5 units long, at 256 degrees from 0 (180+76), tangent to the circle.
__________________
Bicycle-eye
gonesh9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:15 PM
  #6  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh. Oh i see that makse sense. Well it doenst really matter what the length is since i extend or trim the stuff to scale anyways. One more quick question, how do i use the hatch feature? I cant seem to figure it out
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:19 PM
  #7  
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
-5 was not the length of the line.
Then you must have done something different to the instructions in your original post. The syntax of the '@' string is @length<angle or @x-coord,y-coord(,z-coord). Always.

Also, you don't have to turn off all your snaps for one command. Hold the shift key, and click the right mouse button and you can temporarily override the osnap settings.

But what would I know. I've only been using it for fifteen years or so.
Allister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:22 PM
  #8  
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
oh. Oh i see that makse sense. Well it doenst really matter what the length is since i extend or trim the stuff to scale anyways. One more quick question, how do i use the hatch feature? I cant seem to figure it out
There's a fair bit involved in that question. I suggest you read the online help. Autocad has quite a good one. If it's still not clear, come back with a more specific example. In the meantime, don't be afraid of experimenting with different options and seeing what happens. The best way to learn how these things work is by trying them out and READING THE PROMPTS.
Allister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:25 PM
  #9  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Allister
Then you must have done something different to the instructions in your original post. The syntax of the '@' string is @length<angle or @x-coord,y-coord(,z-coord). Always.

Also, you don't have to turn off all your snaps for one command. Hold the shift key, and click the right mouse button and you can temporarily override the osnap settings.

But what would I know. I've only been using it for fifteen years or so.
when i do the hold shift key and click right mouse button to override osnap settings, does that also override tangent? Because i think I need the tangent one on.
I think what he did was do a @random length here<76 degrees.
Because we are not given the actual length there, you get the final length from a chamfer. Im gonna photocopy the diagrams tommorow to bring home so i can work on it, i will upload a pic here
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:26 PM
  #10  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Allister
There's a fair bit involved in that question. I suggest you read the online help. Autocad has quite a good one. If it's still not clear, come back with a more specific example. In the meantime, don't be afraid of experimenting with different options and seeing what happens. The best way to learn how these things work is by trying them out and READING THE PROMPTS.
Well i did the front view, i have to do a sectional drawing. I forgot what one it is, its like you label two points on the front view
A

drawing here


A


and then you make another that says A-A in a different view. aNd some of it is hatched and some is not. Something like half sectional or removed sectional
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:29 PM
  #11  
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
when i do the hold shift key and click right mouse button to override osnap settings, does that also override tangent? Because i think I need the tangent one on.
Sorry. I wasn't totally clear. It brings up a pop-menu where you can select a snap override, in this case, select 'tangent'.
Allister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 08:35 PM
  #12  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Allister
Sorry. I wasn't totally clear. It brings up a pop-menu where you can select a snap override, in this case, select 'tangent'.
I will try that tommorow. Thanks for the tip!
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-05, 09:40 PM
  #13  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The @-5 is just any unit distance from when you started the command. That's all the @ thing does. If you didn't use the @ thong, then it would go to -5 from 0,0.
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 11:05 AM
  #14  
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer
 
gonesh9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: portland, or
Posts: 1,712

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of course, you don't have to have osnaps running at all. What I would do in this case is type:

L[ENTER]TAN[ENTER](PICK CIRCLE)@-111<76

One tip for speedy autocad skills is learn to type commands with one hand and manipulate the mouse with the other. I see people with all sorts of buttons on their screen, and they always seem to spend so much time looking for the right button to use.
__________________
Bicycle-eye
gonesh9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 02:25 PM
  #15  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well ive been trying to get better with the commands. I know i typ emore than i do anything else since typing is the fastest thing i can do on a computer. Like instead of just pressing snap i dont wanna bother moving my hand over there so i just type it
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 06:01 PM
  #16  
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Posts: 3,819

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's where shortcuts come in. Create your own; they're easier to remember.

Last edited by Allister; 04-22-05 at 06:08 PM.
Allister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 06:08 PM
  #17  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what im having a hard time doing is hatch. You first have to select the boundaries and then hatch right? WHat is the sequence?
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 09:03 PM
  #18  
bcspain
Greetings Earthlings!
 
bcspain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rural NW Arkansas
Posts: 151

Bikes: Kent Tandem. Mongoose mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I created a little menu that I called "Quick Keys". It works jsut like the rest of the menus at the top, activated by ALT-Q. That pops the menu down, just like ALT-F brings down the file menu. Then you can activate any command or snap with a second key. For instance ALT Q Q would be quad, ALT Q E is endpoint, and so forth. The beauty of this is that you can do all that with the left hand and work your mouse with your right.

It's pretty easy to do depending on which version of autocad you use. Check the help files for creating custom menus if you're not sure how to procede and want to try it.
bcspain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 09:10 PM
  #19  
bcspain
Greetings Earthlings!
 
bcspain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rural NW Arkansas
Posts: 151

Bikes: Kent Tandem. Mongoose mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
what im having a hard time doing is hatch. You first have to select the boundaries and then hatch right? WHat is the sequence?
Try using BHATCH instead of HATCH. That's short for boundry hatch. You simply pick the outside boundries and it will hatch around the things out in the middle (like bolt holes). Be sure to pick a hatch pattern, and set the scale for the hatch too. If you are trying to hatch a small object with too large a pattern, it won't show up. Conversely, a large object hatched with a small pattern will look like a solid fill.

BTW-been using Autocad since release 9. That was back in the DOS days (you remember DOS...dinosaur operating system..)
bcspain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 06:37 AM
  #20  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well here I use 2004 version. At school i use 2005. Can i make my own quick menu with both of these? How?
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 08:57 AM
  #21  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Heh I'm still using the 2000 version of autocad.
I just click the hatch icon, it's quick and dirty, works pretty much like bhatch cept i don't have to take my hands off the mouse. Brings up a menu, select pick points, and I literally just select inside the boundary and I'm done.

If you use the keyboard a lot, see if you can get a keyboard with that IBM nipple in the center for moving the cursor. I used an ibm laptop for 4 years using autocad that way and it was great, I get cursor manipulation plus i get to type without taking my hands off the keyboard.

I moved over to inventor about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. I can create a machined part, do the solid model, create a 2D shop drawing from the solid model, do all the section and broken views, dimension tolerance and surface it, then export the solid model out to SAT or whatever and get it down to CNC in less than an hour.
Then I can use the same solid model, stick it into an assembly of parts, do kinematics and interference, fea the sucker in about half an hour.
Then shade and texture the assembly, export the picture out to marketting to use in our catalog, a whole design takes less than 2 hours for something that has 3-4 parts.
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 12:18 PM
  #22  
bcspain
Greetings Earthlings!
 
bcspain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rural NW Arkansas
Posts: 151

Bikes: Kent Tandem. Mongoose mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by slvoid
I moved over to inventor about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. I can create a machined part, do the solid model, create a 2D shop drawing from the solid model, do all the section and broken views, dimension tolerance and surface it, then export the solid model out to SAT or whatever and get it down to CNC in less than an hour.
Then I can use the same solid model, stick it into an assembly of parts, do kinematics and interference, fea the sucker in about half an hour.
Then shade and texture the assembly, export the picture out to marketting to use in our catalog, a whole design takes less than 2 hours for something that has 3-4 parts.

I've played with Inventor some, and it looks to be pretty cool. I use Mechanical Desktop for most of my stuff. I really like it. It seems to be able to get the drawings on paper better than the version of Inventor I was using.

I'm modeling a new trike right now. Let you know how it comes out.
bcspain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 10:31 PM
  #23  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bcspain
I've played with Inventor some, and it looks to be pretty cool. I use Mechanical Desktop for most of my stuff. I really like it. It seems to be able to get the drawings on paper better than the version of Inventor I was using.

I'm modeling a new trike right now. Let you know how it comes out.
I haven't used mechanical desktop that much cept when we need to run a quick FEA on a part. I heard the kinematic capabilities are way better than inventor though.
I think we picked inventor a while ago cause it was the best compromise between drafting, engineering, and manufacturing since I do 75% of that at work.

Is mechanical desktop parametric and does it have associativity between dimensions and parts in an assembly?
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 09:25 PM
  #24  
bcspain
Greetings Earthlings!
 
bcspain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rural NW Arkansas
Posts: 151

Bikes: Kent Tandem. Mongoose mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by slvoid
I haven't used mechanical desktop that much cept when we need to run a quick FEA on a part. I heard the kinematic capabilities are way better than inventor though.
I think we picked inventor a while ago cause it was the best compromise between drafting, engineering, and manufacturing since I do 75% of that at work.

Is mechanical desktop parametric and does it have associativity between dimensions and parts in an assembly?
Yes to both questions. The dims can named variables, or formulas containing them, and you can even drive them from an Excel spreadsheet. You can constrain assemblies so that if you move one, you move it all. It will generate a parts list for you, bubble the assemblies, all that stuff. And it does a decent job of putting all that on paper too.

Make no mistake, it has a steep learning curve, but it's worth the effort.
bcspain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 09:41 PM
  #25  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bcspain
Yes to both questions. The dims can named variables, or formulas containing them, and you can even drive them from an Excel spreadsheet. You can constrain assemblies so that if you move one, you move it all. It will generate a parts list for you, bubble the assemblies, all that stuff. And it does a decent job of putting all that on paper too.

Make no mistake, it has a steep learning curve, but it's worth the effort.
Sounds exactly like inventor except inventor is a lot slicker in the interface and a lot faster to use (from my fiddling around with mechanical desktop).
Using inventor is almost Mac like... *shudder*
slvoid is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service