Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Windows 10 won't play DVD movies?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Windows 10 won't play DVD movies?

Reply

Old 02-27-17, 06:23 AM
  #1  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,248

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Windows 10 won't play DVD movies?

My sister just got a ASUS laptop, and an external DVD drive. She asked me to set it up.

Well installing the drive was simple, even came with a CD of programs for buring DVDs, sorting pics and making slide shows.

But upon inserting a DVD movie, I am informed that there is no player... and instructed to go to the Windows Store to buy a Player App for 14.99. WTF?

So Win 10 is going to nickle and dime you to view DVD movies. I saw no free player apps. These were readily available for Win 7 and XP.

Anyone know of a source for DVD player apps for 10? Seems like a real PITA OS.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 06:32 AM
  #2  
cradom
Senior Member
 
cradom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Groves, Texas
Posts: 136

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN
cradom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 09:11 AM
  #3  
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Maybe more of a problem with Asus than Windows. On the pcs/laptops I've purchased there has been 3rd party DVD player software included. The codex in the the 3rd party player allowed Windows Media Player to show movies too.
bikecrate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 09:54 AM
  #4  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,248

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
It's a Windows 10 issue, they removed the features from media player. I've installed 5K and it works fine.

Do a quick search on the 'net and you'll see folks complaining about this Windows "upgrade" and how the $14.99 "fix" from MS has issues.

Yeah, would have been nice if it came pre-installed from ASUS, but then the laptop didn’t dave a DVD drive either... which personally I consider a crock... but I suppose the manufacturers are pushing for total "cloud based" computing. (Don't even get me started on the shortcomings of that issue...)

Last edited by genec; 02-27-17 at 09:59 AM.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 10:10 AM
  #5  
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 2,548

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
And no freaking calendar. I have to google up a calendar to see one. I turned Quick Access off. It mostly gets in the way. "Edge" is a typical MS backwards internets browser.

But it takes much less room on the hard-drive than Windows 7. I thought I'd have to move a partition just with the upgrades on 7 but 10 is still leaving me loads of space so far with upgrades.

I've been thinking more and more about trying a user friendly version of Linux if I thought I wouldn't get stuck getting it up and running. I had to abandon wireless routers for lack of 'puter' literacy.......mine not the router's.

For video off the hard-drive I like Media Player Classic. It's simple like me. Don't know about the DVD issue with that though. My dozen-year-old version is a bit flaky with some MP4s but I always re-encode those to Video CD mpg anyway.

Last edited by Zinger; 02-27-17 at 10:28 AM.
Zinger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 12:28 PM
  #6  
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool
 
cranky old road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC/SC border
Posts: 841

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post

I've been thinking more and more about trying a user friendly version of Linux if I thought I wouldn't get stuck getting it up and running. I had to abandon wireless routers for lack of 'puter' literacy.......mine not the router's.
I'm fed up with Windows 10 and tried downloading and making a bootable DVD of Ubuntu. Seems that my Toshiba with Windows 10 has all sorts of "safeguards" to keep one from booting from DVD. I've changed the BIOS boot order and disabled "Quick Boot" (or whatever) and have still not suceeded in booting up in Linux.
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing...
cranky old road is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 12:54 PM
  #7  
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Posts: 2,100

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cranky old road View Post
I'm fed up with Windows 10 and tried downloading and making a bootable DVD of Ubuntu. Seems that my Toshiba with Windows 10 has all sorts of "safeguards" to keep one from booting from DVD. I've changed the BIOS boot order and disabled "Quick Boot" (or whatever) and have still not suceeded in booting up in Linux.
Secure Boot? We might need a model number to figure out this one.
__________________
--Ben
2006 Trek SU100, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
bigbenaugust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 01:41 PM
  #8  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,248

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
And no freaking calendar. I have to google up a calendar to see one. I turned Quick Access off. It mostly gets in the way. "Edge" is a typical MS backwards internets browser.

But it takes much less room on the hard-drive than Windows 7. I thought I'd have to move a partition just with the upgrades on 7 but 10 is still leaving me loads of space so far with upgrades.

I've been thinking more and more about trying a user friendly version of Linux if I thought I wouldn't get stuck getting it up and running. I had to abandon wireless routers for lack of 'puter' literacy.......mine not the router's.



For video off the hard-drive I like Media Player Classic. It's simple like me. Don't know about the DVD issue with that though. My dozen-year-old version is a bit flaky with some MP4s but I always re-encode those to Video CD mpg anyway.
I'm still happy w win7... my existing programs work with it, I don't need new hardware, and it runs well.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 02:29 PM
  #9  
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool
 
cranky old road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC/SC border
Posts: 841

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust View Post
Secure Boot? We might need a model number to figure out this one.
The thread encouraged me to look again. I found a setting in BIOS to boot up without UEFI for Operating Systems expecting legacy BIOS. There is a suggestion it will be difficult to boot up in Windows if I want to again. I'll do a little more research while I have a working computer to make certain I know what to do before changing the setting.

This is a relatively old Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5380 that I bought when Windows 8.0 was new and never used because it is dreadfully underpowered and Windows 8 and 10 overbloated.

I miss Chapel Hill/ Carrboro. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did 35 through 50 years ago. I wonder what my old Calvander, Saxapahaw, Eli Whitney loop looks like now.
__________________
Never try to teach a pig to sing...
cranky old road is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 02:35 PM
  #10  
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage
 
bigbenaugust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KIGX
Posts: 2,100

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cranky old road View Post
The thread encouraged me to look again. I found a setting in BIOS to boot up without UEFI for Operating Systems expecting legacy BIOS. There is a suggestion it will be difficult to boot up in Windows if I want to again. I'll do a little more research while I have a working computer to make certain I know what to do before changing the setting.

This is a relatively old Toshiba Satellite C55D-A5380 that I bought when Windows 8.0 was new and never used because it is dreadfully underpowered and Windows 8 and 10 overbloated.

I miss Chapel Hill/ Carrboro. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I did 35 through 50 years ago. I wonder what my old Calvander, Saxapahaw, Eli Whitney loop looks like now.
Some Linux distros like EFI more than others. But if your machine is some oddball 32-bit machine that is using EFI, just turn it off if at all possible. The dividing line there is 32-bit i386/i586/i686 = BIOS boot, 64-bit x86_64/amd64 = either way, but mostly EFI boot. In general, to maximize compatibility and minimize frustration, turn off EFI and Secure Boot if possible.

Calvander and Eli Whitney look about the same... Saxapahaw has a few more houses I bet.
__________________
--Ben
2006 Trek SU100, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, and a Bakfiets
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
bigbenaugust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 02:57 PM
  #11  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,953
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Do a quick search on the 'net and you'll see folks complaining about this Windows "upgrade" and how the $14.99 "fix" from MS has issues.

Yeah, would have been nice if it came pre-installed from ASUS, but then the laptop didnít dave a DVD drive either... which personally I consider a crock... but I suppose the manufacturers are pushing for total "cloud based" computing. (Don't even get me started on the shortcomings of that issue...)
It's a licensing/cost issue.
njkayaker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 04:36 PM
  #12  
genec
genec
Thread Starter
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,248

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5837 Post(s)
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
It's a licensing/cost issue.
And yet there at least three programs out there that one can download and use for free....

Heck, $2.99 might even be "fair," but 15 bucks... no way.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 05:51 PM
  #13  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,953
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
And yet there at least three programs out there that one can download and use for free.....
Yes, I know about that. It's possible that whatever "licensing" they have, Microsoft can't use.

Use one of them.

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Heck, $2.99 might even be "fair," but 15 bucks... no way.
I have no idea how much the licenses cost.

Cheaper is always better (for the consumer). (Though, it might be too cheap for a company to afford supporting.)

Charging more might actually motivate people to choose the free alternatives and reduce MS's cost.

There could be all sorts of reasons charging more makes sense (for Microsoft). I don't think MS is getting rich off of DVD licenses.

In the long term, the need for supporting DVD's is going to drop (it's already dropping).

If you were supporting an OS (like MS), you might want to move towards not supporting them (and let the secondary market support them).
njkayaker is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 11:21 PM
  #14  
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 2,548

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I'm still happy w win7... my existing programs work with it, I don't need new hardware, and it runs well.
Except for that part about not being supported anymore if you have to format and reload the OS. Better keep some good antivirus on your 'puter if you wander to the badlands for that reason.

I just wish the heck I'd have bought a 32 bit machine last time instead of a 64 bit so all my bootleg video software worked.
Zinger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 12:21 AM
  #15  
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 2,548

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cranky old road View Post
I'm fed up with Windows 10 and tried downloading and making a bootable DVD of Ubuntu. Seems that my Toshiba with Windows 10 has all sorts of "safeguards" to keep one from booting from DVD. I've changed the BIOS boot order and disabled "Quick Boot" (or whatever) and have still not suceeded in booting up in Linux.
Hmmm, new one on me so thanks for the mention and I'll look into it.

And I'd just format that puppy and go for broke. No guts no glory.
Zinger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 12:28 AM
  #16  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 21,366
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7772 Post(s)
Does that play the DRM Encrypted DVDs (just about all the commercial DVDs)?

Any chance it would also play foreign DVDs?
CliffordK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 06:41 AM
  #17  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,399

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
I would point out my failed experiences with trying to use several different "free" players available for an external DVD drive we picked up for this very purpose. Apparently the only thing that works in it is a "data" style disk. We even upgraded the WMP, just to see, and since there is no internal player it doesn't "see" a compatible drive.

They want you to stream the movies now so you can't pirate them.
Juan Foote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 07:15 AM
  #18  
cradom
Senior Member
 
cradom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Groves, Texas
Posts: 136

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Does that play the DRM Encrypted DVDs (just about all the commercial DVDs)?

Any chance it would also play foreign DVDs?
I've had it play pretty much anything I could throw at it. Not sure about foreign, never tried.
cradom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 08:50 AM
  #19  
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
It's a Windows 10 issue, they removed the features from media player. I've installed 5K and it works fine.

Do a quick search on the 'net and you'll see folks complaining about this Windows "upgrade" and how the $14.99 "fix" from MS has issues.

Yeah, would have been nice if it came pre-installed from ASUS, but then the laptop didnít dave a DVD drive either... which personally I consider a crock... but I suppose the manufacturers are pushing for total "cloud based" computing. (Don't even get me started on the shortcomings of that issue...)
I see what you're saying now. I'm glad I didn't upgrade to Win 10. I ran into the same thing when MS rolled out Win 8 and they dropped the Media Center. I think you had to pay $90 to upgrade to Win 8 Pro to get it back. It was okay for free, but paying for it wasn't worth it.
bikecrate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 09:09 AM
  #20  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,299

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Win 10 is a PITA. I side-graded the laptop from Win 7 to 10 last year, mostly curious about the differences. Glad I didn't upgrade the desktop PC from Win 7. Win 10 is a slug. None of the usual performance tweaks I've tried seemed to help.

I used to be able to do light photo editing and stream movies from the laptop but no more. Now it'll barely run YouTube videos at 480 without st-st-stuttering constantly.

And while I finally got VLC working somewhat on the laptop, I had to set it to Win 7 compatibility mode. And it still won't play nice with my WD MyCloud wireless media server to play movies.

There might be some security advantages to Windows 10, but who knows.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 10:08 AM
  #21  
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I ended up with Windows 10 when my CPU died & I had to replace it. The Windows 10 CPU was considerably less expensive than the Win 8, so I went for it. I mostly use my desktop for business - spreadsheets & emails. Once I got used to its ways, not much difference.


Then one day I plugged my Apple IPod Classic in for downloads & updates. Hubby came running at my shouts of NO NO NO. Win 10 told me my IPod was dead. After I recovered from my shock, I checked out my IPOD on a Win 8 laptop, and it was definitely NOT dead. Win 10 just wants it to be. I tried all the "fixes" I could find, no go. One day I'll search for new "fixes", but I'm NOT giving up my Classic!!
__________________
As with mud, life, too, slides by.
apclassic9 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 10:13 AM
  #22  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,325

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1710 Post(s)
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Win 10 is a PITA. I side-graded the laptop from Win 7 to 10 last year, mostly curious about the differences. Glad I didn't upgrade the desktop PC from Win 7. Win 10 is a slug. None of the usual performance tweaks I've tried seemed to help.

I used to be able to do light photo editing and stream movies from the laptop but no more. Now it'll barely run YouTube videos at 480 without st-st-stuttering constantly.

And while I finally got VLC working somewhat on the laptop, I had to set it to Win 7 compatibility mode. And it still won't play nice with my WD MyCloud wireless media server to play movies.

There might be some security advantages to Windows 10, but who knows.


W10 can be nice....but only the debloated de-crap-ified less-than-legal flavors. I have had it on my desktop for over a year, and it runs better than W7 on an SSD.

Once you strip out all the useless crap, all the bloat, and all the spyware....the W10 ISO loses about 30% of its ISO installer weight.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 11:45 AM
  #23  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,299

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Reminds me, I need to replace the hard drive in my laptop with an SSD. It would improve the sluggish performance on disk intensive stuff. I mostly use the laptop in the living room for web browsing, streaming movies and admin chores. I don't really need much storage on board and can access most of what I need from the wireless WD MyCloud or other cloud services.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 12:01 PM
  #24  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,666
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Does that play the DRM Encrypted DVDs (just about all the commercial DVDs)?

Any chance it would also play foreign DVDs?
Especially for laptop/tablet use I rip DVDs to the HD using DVD decrypter which does strip that DRM off, then convert to .avi files (out of force of habit, not sure there's any specific reason to use that vs another format) using AutoGK
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service