Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Mother, PLEASE......!

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Mother, PLEASE......!

Reply

Old 03-19-17, 03:32 PM
  #1  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,049

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Mother, PLEASE......!

Those old enough may remember to old Anacin adds that started this way.

Like the housewife in the add, I often wish to scream out "I'd rather do it myself" when using various modern gadgets.

The latest offender is my Samsung tablet which I've been using a bit more lately.

It has some sort of auto complete aid, which finishes words for me, and sometimes even suggests the next one. The problem is I'm used to typing myself, and the machine all too often doesn't read my mind well, and ends up changing my words.

I have mixed feelings about the help, since it changes my natural typing rhythm and with the back pedaling to fix errors seems slower. OTOH - I use lots of contractions, and Samsung cleverly hid the apostrophe so they're a pain to type (plus it keeps wanting to fix it for me), so it's a tossup so far.

Similar problem related to my habit of typing a Cap to start a new sentence. The tablet does that for me, and if I do so also, takes that to mean I want to go to FULL CAPS. Maybe, if I weren't switching back and forth to normal typing, I'd appreciate the help more, but.....

The latest offense is the auto rotate on the screen. Since I sometimes use the computer while reclined, my vertical an horizontal axis may be shifted 90°. Yes, there's a screen lock, and I know how to use it, but it'll sometimes rotate anyway. So it's like the government...Not only does it "help" when I don' want it, but it lies to me about it.

So Samsung PLEASE!....... I'd rather do it myself. Or as I someties say "if you really want to help,... DON'T HELP.

Rant over, but am I the only one?
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 03:57 PM
  #2  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,300

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
My mom gripes about those very same "features" in her tablet. I've turned off auto-fill/correct. And while I've tried to set up rotation to suit her the problem is that one of her favorite games doesn't play well with auto-rotate disabled. And her short term memory is pretty much nonexistent so she can't remember how to reset the rotation to suit herself from one day to the next.

I use Swype and similar apps for my tablet and iPhone so I usually appreciate the auto-fill/correct. But I've had to edit the dictionaries to delete some pesky entries that I'll never need. For example, I can't see any reason why I'd ever want "ans" as a complete word in preference to "and", or "fur" or "fir" in preference to "for. Takes time to customize the dictionary but it reduces these annoyances.

But each app may vary from industry standards for text entry. For some reason my Amazon Kindle Fire HD doesn't play well with their Prime Photos interface for Facebook. It doesn't automagically begin each sentence after a period with an upper case letter, so I have to do that manually. One of my iPhone apps has the same quirk. Just sloppy programming by app developers.

When I'm lying down in bed messing with the tablet or watching movies I just disable auto-rotate. Only takes a few moments.
canklecat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 04:07 PM
  #3  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,334

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Auto-correct strength and method varies between software keyboards. Some are more invasive that others.

Use a different keyboard.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 04:13 PM
  #4  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808° N, 83.7430° W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,644

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
.. and, be sure to proofread before finally launching your final comment, etc. into/onto the interweb.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 04:15 PM
  #5  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,049

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
....
Use a different keyboard.
Sure, buy a new...... Right?

Anyway, I wasn't asking for help, just enjoying a light rant about the irony of how things that are intended to help, can make it harder for those who don't need it.

But, I guess it's just me.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 04:20 PM
  #6  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,334

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Sure, buy a new...... Right?

Anyway, I wasn't asking for help, just enjoying a light rant about the irony of how things that are intended to help, can make it harder for those who don't need it.

But, I guess it's just me.
Many software keyboards are free.

Google's keyboard isn't too bad...meanwhile IMHO Swiftkey can get pretty invasive and angry changing what you type...Been a fan of Kii keyboard since before they were wrongly DMCA banned from Android app store....they currently have a beta out of their new keyboard.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 04:36 PM
  #7  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 36,049

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Many software keyboards are free.
.
You guys are too funny. I post a rant about unwanted help, ending with

"If you really want to help ---- Don't Help"

What happens? People post, offering me "helpful" suggestions.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 04:35 PM
  #8  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,292

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Haha, I totally get your annoyances. I developed a very fast and accurate typing skill over many years, and dealing with tablets and phones makes me feel like a monkey trying to type hamlet (without a room full of monkey friends to help). I often get mad at "Bill" when microsoft products try to correct what I want to say.

Here's another bit of unsolicited advice, give a try to Swype or dasher, two very different concepts for text entry.

Last edited by RubeRad; 03-22-17 at 04:38 PM.
RubeRad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 04:48 PM
  #9  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,248

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Those old enough may remember to old Anacin adds that started this way.

Like the housewife in the add, I often wish to scream out "I'd rather do it myself" when using various modern gadgets.

The latest offender is my Samsung tablet which I've been using a bit more lately.

It has some sort of auto complete aid, which finishes words for me, and sometimes even suggests the next one. The problem is I'm used to typing myself, and the machine all too often doesn't read my mind well, and ends up changing my words.

I have mixed feelings about the help, since it changes my natural typing rhythm and with the back pedaling to fix errors seems slower. OTOH - I use lots of contractions, and Samsung cleverly hid the apostrophe so they're a pain to type (plus it keeps wanting to fix it for me), so it's a tossup so far.

Similar problem related to my habit of typing a Cap to start a new sentence. The tablet does that for me, and if I do so also, takes that to mean I want to go to FULL CAPS. Maybe, if I weren't switching back and forth to normal typing, I'd appreciate the help more, but.....

The latest offense is the auto rotate on the screen. Since I sometimes use the computer while reclined, my vertical an horizontal axis may be shifted 90°. Yes, there's a screen lock, and I know how to use it, but it'll sometimes rotate anyway. So it's like the government...Not only does it "help" when I don' want it, but it lies to me about it.

So Samsung PLEASE!....... I'd rather do it myself. Or as I someties say "if you really want to help,... DON'T HELP.

Rant over, but am I the only one?
I bet there is a way to turn off these features... I know on my Samsung S5 I too hated autocomplete... and indeed I was able to turn it off. Autocomplete is terrible for technical terms... it somehow assumes that you intend to say something vastly simpler.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 08:08 AM
  #10  
leob1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle of the road, NJ
Posts: 2,912
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
I for one, am very grateful for auto correct considering my lack of spelling skills.
leob1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 08:15 AM
  #11  
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,414
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
.. and, be sure to proofread before finally launching your final comment, etc. into/onto the interweb.


Ain't that the truth. It can help stop some those really long pauses between texts.
dynodonn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service