Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Physical Help During a Race

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Physical Help During a Race

Old 05-28-18, 02:05 PM
  #26  
Equinox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post




I wonder if event staff decided to help him the last 100ft so he wouldn't trip up other runners. Maybe they thought that his 4hr half marathon effort wasn't going to put him into Boston Marathon contention. I don't know, these thoughts are just conjecture.

Next time make sure to verbalize your opinion, loudly. Don't stand down, start screaming about it. Remember that life is absolute and unforgiving. Infact you should probably get a sign made that says DNF on it, and put it in his lawn. Don't let this injustice stand! It's up to righteous people such as yourself to maintain the purity of the sport.

My condolences to whatever injury you suffered that prevented you from running a full marathon.

https://youtu.be/3vB9U2hx6Qg
LOL. I always took my races seriously. I entered them for a reason. I wasn't good, but I respected the events I entered. Understood the rules and I accepted to risks. I never got recognition because i didn't deserve it, quite frankly. That didn't bother me in the least. In just about everything I do, I try to be better than my former self. Over the course of a race, I may get into a competition with another runner and I absolutely might try to beat that person. It is a race after all. My races were as important to me as they were to the winner. I didn't have to enter a race, but if I did, I wanted to respect the integrity of the event.
I'm not ashamed to be like Walter Sobchak. Am I the only one who gives a **** about the rules?
Equinox is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 02:22 PM
  #27  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,368
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8524 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 74 Posts
I think it really depends on the situation. Say they're coming in under 2 hours 10 minutes... and getting a top couple finishes... then yes, one might deny physical assistance across the line.

On the other hand, say it is a 4 hour runner.. then who really cares. Let them finish and call it a win.

Do runners actually suffer serious injuries? Trips? Perhaps stand the runner upright and hand them a pair of crutches to hobble across the line?

I think we really need to return bike racing to the 1913 TDF era.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3...malet_incident

Eugène Christophe had a broken fork in the TDF. He wasn't handed a spare bike, but had to walk 10km to the nearest town. Then used a blacksmith shop to fix his bike. However, the local blacksmith wasn't allowed to do the weld. Eugène Christophe had to do the repairs himself.

He was even penalized for having a young kid operate the bellows.

Oh, where did we lose our way with the modern bike racing?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 03:43 PM
  #28  
GrainBrain
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 1,233

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
LOL. I always took my races seriously. I entered them for a reason. I wasn't good, but I respected the events I entered. Understood the rules and I accepted to risks. I never got recognition because i didn't deserve it, quite frankly. That didn't bother me in the least. In just about everything I do, I try to be better than my former self. Over the course of a race, I may get into a competition with another runner and I absolutely might try to beat that person. It is a race after all. My races were as important to me as they were to the winner. I didn't have to enter a race, but if I did, I wanted to respect the integrity of the event.
I'm not ashamed to be like Walter Sobchak. Am I the only one who gives a **** about the rules?
Kudos for a good retort to my trolling. I understand where you're coming from, but in the end it's still just for fun and pushing yourself. So as an individual I would say don't worry about the person you saw, unless they were faster by the amount of time they were walked across. I look at racing as an analogy to life, and there's grey areas in life. It's not always fair, and sometimes you get a break. But if you want to keep being the best you gotta keep looking forward and not agonize over the tiny things, like mr. four hour finisher. How was your performance that day? Did you improve or maintain?

This person who got helped sounds like they could have made it on their own. I wonder what they're thinking now, I wonder if they're angry at theirself?

You haven't said how far they were walked, but it was obviously a very short distance. You will probably be walked off at even a quarter mile. So let's say it was at about 300ft, 1/16th of a mile. They ran 99.996% of the race, 300ft shy of the 69,168 feet that are in the half marathon. I'm going to give this person the benefit of the doubt and assume they're a total amateur doing this for the first time. I see no problem integrity wise. It was done where everyone clearly saw it happening. Having a time stamp and not a dnf will make it fun.

Are you going to start another thread complaining about corporate sponsorship, specifically all the money Nike has put behind the sub two hour marathon?

You mentioned not even wanting age groups, just a total melee. Well this does exist, it's called the Olympics.

​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​
GrainBrain is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 04:28 PM
  #29  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,368
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8524 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
You haven't said how far they were walked, but it was obviously a very short distance. You will probably be walked off at even a quarter mile. So let's say it was at about 300ft, 1/16th of a mile. They ran 99.996% of the race, 300ft shy of the 69,168 feet that are in the half marathon. I'm going to give this person the benefit of the doubt and assume they're a total amateur doing this for the first time. I see no problem integrity wise. It was done where everyone clearly saw it happening. Having a time stamp and not a dnf will make it fun.​​​​​
Yep, unless they were finishing in the top 10, or perhaps doing a qualifying run for another marathon, then don't worry about it.

At the end of the day, nobody will care.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 05:27 PM
  #30  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,087

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Yeah, it should be a DNF. If the participant is capable of finishing without dying, let 'em walk across the finish line. That's still an accomplishment when the body refuses to cooperate. Getting hauled across the finish line isn't much of an accomplishment.

And I'm not a fan of the butt push restarts in cycling races, especially the running shove that goes on for 20 yards. Any assistance from the mechanics or team should be comparable to the start of time trials and track races -- just enough to balance the rider who must start under his/her own power. Granted that's gonna be more difficult on a hill but that's racing.

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of cyclists punching those manic fans dressed up like football team mascots. If there was more punching of idiot fans in cycle racing I'd watch entire races more often.
canklecat is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 07:07 PM
  #31  
Equinox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 889
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
Kudos for a good retort to my trolling. I understand where you're coming from, but in the end it's still just for fun and pushing yourself. So as an individual I would say don't worry about the person you saw, unless they were faster by the amount of time they were walked across. I look at racing as an analogy to life, and there's grey areas in life. It's not always fair, and sometimes you get a break. But if you want to keep being the best you gotta keep looking forward and not agonize over the tiny things, like mr. four hour finisher. How was your performance that day? Did you improve or maintain?

This person who got helped sounds like they could have made it on their own. I wonder what they're thinking now, I wonder if they're angry at theirself?

You haven't said how far they were walked, but it was obviously a very short distance. You will probably be walked off at even a quarter mile. So let's say it was at about 300ft, 1/16th of a mile. They ran 99.996% of the race, 300ft shy of the 69,168 feet that are in the half marathon. I'm going to give this person the benefit of the doubt and assume they're a total amateur doing this for the first time. I see no problem integrity wise. It was done where everyone clearly saw it happening. Having a time stamp and not a dnf will make it fun.

Are you going to start another thread complaining about corporate sponsorship, specifically all the money Nike has put behind the sub two hour marathon?

You mentioned not even wanting age groups, just a total melee. Well this does exist, it's called the Olympics.

​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​
No. Ten year age groups are good.
Equinox is offline  
Old 05-28-18, 11:38 PM
  #32  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 22,368
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8524 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 74 Posts
Perhaps hobble the marathon runners over to a lawn chair and shade tree. Let them get up and walk across the finish line when they're ready.
CliffordK is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
pakeboi
General Cycling Discussion
1
01-14-19 02:25 AM
pakeboi
General Cycling Discussion
0
06-11-18 12:22 PM
bobonker
Road Bike Marketplace
2
08-18-17 11:53 PM
work4bike
Foo
0
06-19-15 06:20 AM
blue_neon
Mountain Biking
0
02-18-06 01:00 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.