Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   🌌 New Star Trek Franchise (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/1152094-new-star-trek-franchise.html)

KraneXL 08-08-18 06:43 PM

🌌 New Star Trek Franchise
 


Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New CBS All Access Series

All Access Series

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...945ac98e3f.jpg




Yep, looks like the rumor are coming true. Replete with Jean-Luc Picard. Albeit not as a captain.

Hollywood Reporter

All Access series? Count me out. As much as I've enjoyed the franchise through the years, I refuse to sign up for a subscription to pay CBS (or any other network) for a TV show.

GrainBrain 08-08-18 06:57 PM

:rolleyes: Here's hoping for the first episode having him assimilated back to the Borg, then annihilating the federation. I'd pay for that - but only if Avery Brooks has a lead role.

Marcus_Ti 08-08-18 07:13 PM

Don't care. All the plot formulas are basically cliches at this point....even with a great actor with a starring role.

Mitkraft 08-08-18 07:16 PM

Don’t care it’s on CBS All Access and I’m sick to death of every entity having their own premium content I have to pay for. Would have like to have seen the new Good Wife series but wasn’t paying to do so.

KraneXL 08-08-18 07:18 PM


Rider_88 08-09-18 12:51 AM

Even if they'll cut it, I don't think it would be the old good Star Trek...

Rollfast 08-09-18 01:33 AM

I just bought a HUGE ANTENNA from a couple who don't watch TV for $20.

Marcus_Ti 08-09-18 05:06 AM


Originally Posted by Rider_88 (Post 20496454)
Even if they'll cut it, I don't think it would be the old good Star Trek...


Which ones would those be? They all suffered the same failing...lack of long-term story planning/telling.

GrainBrain 08-09-18 05:13 AM

Patrick Stewart is looking really good still, so that's a plus. I wonder if they'll go towards the more hardcore sci-fi or mainstream. Here's hoping for mainstream - Voyager really was hard to swallow because of the constant sudo-tech coming to the rescue. "Oh reverse polarity in the deflector, blah blah blah multiphasic frequency slump, oh good everything's ok now". Or even worse - "Let's all go to the holodeck" - ugh! No more Holodeck episodes please.

I think the biggest turnoff has been the strict adherence to a naval vessel esque environment. I really enjoyed DS9 because it shed alot of this, there was a lot of good balance between the unknown and the comforting rigidness of the federation.

DS9 also had the best premier as well, with Sisko facing off with Picard. Facing the man who killed your wife.

"We've met before?"
"In battle."

Marcus_Ti 08-09-18 05:18 AM


Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 20496553)
Patrick Stewart is looking really good still, so that's a plus. I wonder if they'll go towards the more hardcore sci-fi or mainstream. Here's hoping for mainstream - Voyager really was hard to swallow because of the constant sudo-tech coming to the rescue. "Oh reverse polarity in the deflector, blah blah blah multiphasic frequency slump, oh good everything's ok now". Or even worse - "Let's all go to the holodeck" - ugh! No more Holodeck episodes please.

I think the biggest turnoff has been the strict adherence to a nasal vessel esque environment. I really enjoyed DS9 because it shed alot of this, there was a lot of good balance between the unknown and the comforting rigidness of the federation.

DS9 also had the best premier as well, with Sisko facing off with Picard. Facing the man who killed your wife.

"We've met before?"
"In battle."

Ex Machina technobabble is the core of Star Trek story telling. Go back and watch TOS or TNG reruns or, basically, any Star Trek. It is almost always technobabble to the rescue at the last second.

DS9 was the odd duckling out on a few levels, granted.

GrainBrain 08-09-18 05:59 AM


Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20496557)
Ex Machina technobabble is the core of Star Trek story telling. Go back and watch TOS or TNG reruns or, basically, any Star Trek. It is almost always technobabble to the rescue at the last second.

DS9 was the odd duckling out on a few levels, granted.

You're right, I don't mind too much of it. It just seemed like sometimes they relied a little too heavily on it, instead of other ways to resolve the episode. Probably cheap on production time - a couple of button pushes or commands and done. I don't mind them ripping into stuff with technobabble or technobabble itself. But to have a whole episode climax with someone shouting at the computer to reverse polarity was a let down.
Voyager had the interesting premise of using biological control systems, that led to some neat episodes.

Arg, you caught me before I could correct *naval* lol.

Mitkraft 08-09-18 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20496557)
Ex Machina technobabble is the core of Star Trek story telling. Go back and watch TOS or TNG reruns or, basically, any Star Trek. It is almost always technobabble to the rescue at the last second.

DS9 was the odd duckling out on a few levels, granted.

I disagree. The core of Star Trek was meeting strange new alien life forms and having sex with them! LOL

dynodonn 08-09-18 08:20 AM

Sigh...... 50+ years on, Star Trek is now a long and tired road.

mtb_addict 08-09-18 10:44 AM


Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20496028)

All Access series? Count me out. As much as I've enjoyed the franchise through the years, I refuse to sign up for a subscription to pay CBS (or any other network) for a TV show.


It's been proven that pay-to-watch shows result in much higher quality content then free-to-watch (with advertisement) shows.

bigbenaugust 08-09-18 11:01 AM

Star Trek: The Animated Series is on Prime Video. :)

Mitkraft 08-09-18 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20497090)
It's been proven that pay-to-watch shows result in much higher quality content then free-to-watch (with advertisement) shows.

It's "been proven" exactly how has it been proven? Especially when "higher quality" is HIGHLY subjective. And even if that were true, I'm still not on board. Movies are usually higher budget and/or considered "higher quality" but that doesn't mean I want to forego my free OTA TV and begin paying for everything I watch. I already subscribe to cable in order to get a bundle of non-free non-OTA content. I don't want to have to piecemeal a crap load of shows from various providers in order to see stuff. It's bad enough I already have Amazon, each cable provider, Hulu, Netflix, etc doing this. The number of independent things you have to subscribe to in order to access shows you might want to see is getting out of hand.

genec 08-09-18 11:18 AM


Originally Posted by mtb_addict (Post 20497090)
It's been proven that pay-to-watch shows result in much higher quality content then free-to-watch (with advertisement) shows.

But for how much, and what else are you getting with CBS all access... What is the show/cost ratio for the viewer? Compare CBS all access to Netflix and Amazon Prime... does CBS offer nearly as much content?

Hondo Gravel 08-09-18 11:41 AM

I’m waiting for relaunching of Sandford And Son :roflmao2:

KraneXL 08-09-18 05:41 PM


Originally Posted by Rider_88 (Post 20496454)
Even if they'll cut it, I don't think it would be the old good Star Trek...

You do realize they said the same thing about TNG


Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20496545)
Which ones would those be? They all suffered the same failing...lack of long-term story planning/telling.

Its hard enough to gauge audience approval one year into the future, let alone six. Just look at the present series and Enterprise. Both were/are dismal failures out of the gate. Although I guess you could write something down, but good luck with that.


Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 20496553)
Patrick Stewart is looking really good still, so that's a plus. I wonder if they'll go towards the more hardcore sci-fi or mainstream. Here's hoping for mainstream - Voyager really was hard to swallow because of the constant sudo-tech coming to the rescue. "Oh reverse polarity in the deflector, blah blah blah multiphasic frequency slump, oh good everything's ok now". Or even worse - "Let's all go to the holodeck" - ugh! No more Holodeck episodes please.

What, no like Capt. Proton? But you try coming up with new interesting episodes every week.

Seriously, this was yet another example of a lackluster beginning. That show's shot of adrenaline came once Seven of Nine joined the crew.


I think the biggest turnoff has been the strict adherence to a naval vessel esque environment. I really enjoyed DS9 because it shed alot of this, there was a lot of good balance between the unknown and the comforting rigidness of the federation.
And you would think there wouldn't be much adventure from a stationary platform. That show has the most developed and engaging characters by far.


DS9 also had the best premier as well, with Sisko facing off with Picard. Facing the man who killed your wife.

"We've met before?"
"In battle."
That wasn't a very Star Fleet attitude of Sisko.

Marcus_Ti 08-09-18 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by KraneXL (Post 20497876)
Its hard enough to gauge audience approval one year into the future, let alone six. Just look at the present series and Enterprise. Both were/are dismal failures out of the gate. Although I guess you could write something down, but good luck with that.

Except....honestly even within a single season Star Trek has never really had continuity of narrative. Episodes are generally interchangeable and can be watched in any order, even within a single season, nvm across seasons...the only possible issues causing confusion being the odd star-cast character deaths, and the odd standard uniform/prop change....the only real exception being the DS9 Dominion War plot.

KraneXL 08-10-18 01:04 AM


Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 20498026)
Except....honestly even within a single season Star Trek has never really had continuity of narrative. Episodes are generally interchangeable and can be watched in any order, even within a single season, nvm across seasons...the only possible issues causing confusion being the odd star-cast character deaths, and the odd standard uniform/prop change....the only real exception being the DS9 Dominion War plot.

Not true. There have season finale/premiere episode on every example of ST. Although the original series may be the only exception. There has also been continuity within the seasons starting with the Next Generation which has a beginning: "Encounter at Farpoint" and an end "All Good Things."

There was also continuity episodes concerning Tasha's death and Warf's son. And of course there's no way you could watch any of the Dominion Wars of DS-9, or the interchange between Chief O'Brien and Warf when he joined the crew.

Voyager of course needs no single example since that entire series is base on continuity. No way you can watch it and out of order. They even contain some time reference crossover episodes.

Unfortunately I can't attest to Enterprise, since I was never became a fan of that series -- although not without trying. But even they did connect some of the dots between the original series and the updated ST versions.

CliffordK 08-10-18 02:03 AM

So,
what about Star Trek Discovery? Will we have two series shows competing?

KraneXL 08-10-18 02:57 AM


Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 20498372)
So,
what about Star Trek Discovery? Will we have two series shows competing?

It wouldn't be a first time. At one point, TNG, Voyager, and DS-9 were all running concurrently.

KraneXL 08-13-18 08:12 PM

I was watching a Then and Now video* of some of the Star Trek cast and my how they have changed. Some actors get more austere as they age, but I wouldn't say that was the case for majority of ST cast. It as if the more recent cast took a tragic turn for the worse. All but Jean-Luc (Patrick Stewart) has doubled in size. And mother of god what happened to Kes?

Jennifer Lien

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86ac1b74a7.jpg




mtb_addict 08-14-18 09:05 AM

Wiki says J. Lien has mental healthy problem.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.