Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How much do you spend on hotel rooms when on vacation?

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How much do you spend on hotel rooms when on vacation?

Reply

Old 01-09-19, 02:31 PM
  #1  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
How much do you spend on hotel rooms when on vacation?

Putting together my summer bicycle tour in Oregon. My days of camping for an extended period are over. I also try to avoid the flea bag motels. But some times a flea bag might be the only game in town. Or an upscale hotels are the only opion.

On my upcoming trip I will be paying $150 or more a night. Yeah I can afford it but still cringe at paying that price especially since I am retiring soon and really trying to get this mortgage paid off before that happens. But the other part of me says life is way too short and enjoy it now before it is too late.

So how much do you typically spend on vacation when visiting a popular tourist location in season?
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 04:11 PM
  #2  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,393

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
What's a vacation?
DiabloScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 04:33 PM
  #3  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,239

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5582 Post(s)
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Putting together my summer bicycle tour in Oregon. My days of camping for an extended period are over. I also try to avoid the flea bag motels. But some times a flea bag might be the only game in town. Or an upscale hotels are the only opion.

On my upcoming trip I will be paying $150 or more a night. Yeah I can afford it but still cringe at paying that price especially since I am retiring soon and really trying to get this mortgage paid off before that happens. But the other part of me says life is way too short and enjoy it now before it is too late.

So how much do you typically spend on vacation when visiting a popular tourist location in season?
I hate paying anything over $100 for a bed... I'm gonna have my eyes closed, so why do I care how fancy the room is... My wife on the other hand likes to sleep in rooms that "famous" people have once occupied... So needless to say, I don't get my way all the time.

Now what really gets me is that the high end resorts tend to charge you not only high rates for the room, but then nickle and dime you for things like parking and wifi and coffee... etc. Like your Marriots and the like... where they charge $200 plus AND charge you for wifi, movies... etc.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 04:59 PM
  #4  
mtb_addict
Senior Member
 
mtb_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2435 Post(s)
Yeah visiting tourist location during season is always expensive. I would really feel guilty spending that much money like that. I feel like that is money poorly spent, regardless if I can afford it or not. It's like going into an all you can eat buffet when you're not hungry.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 01-09-19 at 05:03 PM.
mtb_addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 05:23 PM
  #5  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post

Now what really gets me is that the high end resorts tend to charge you not only high rates for the room, but then nickle and dime you for things like parking and wifi and coffee... etc. Like your Marriots and the like... where they charge $200 plus AND charge you for wifi, movies... etc.
Last year I stayed at the Swiss Hotel in Chicago on Amtrak's dime. Curious I went online to look at the rates. $320+ and that price does not include wifi and like only 4 channels on the TV (my guess you had to pay for channels too.)

As long as the place is clean it does not need to be fancy. I stayed at the Vagabond in Sacramento. I think I paid sub $200 which is really good for Sacramento. The place was a bit dated but super clean. Yeah I don't care what the room looks like either but when your feet stick to the floor and you need to dodge bullets when stepping out the door, I would look elsewhere.
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 05:27 PM
  #6  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
Yeah visiting tourist location during season is always expensive. I would really feel guilty spending that much money like that. I feel like that is money poorly spent, regardless if I can afford it or not. It's like going into an all you can eat buffet when you're not hungry.
If I had a family and responsibilities I would feel guilty and never spend the money. But right now it is just me.
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 05:30 PM
  #7  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,527
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7540 Post(s)
Depends.

If I know the place is good, I'll go for a modestly priced place. But basically, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Some places are just plain expensive.

I try to schedule in a day off the bike on a cycling vakay. If I can find a place that has stuff like hot tubs, I'm willing to spend a little more.
late is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 05:50 PM
  #8  
u235
Senior Member
 
u235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Zero usually. I use reward points. I earn more points than I'll ever use for pleasure travel. I probably only require a hotel for personal travel an average of maybe 2 nights a year. If not for points, I'm fine with just about anywhere if the value is there, I'll pay for a run down dump if the price is on par.

Last edited by u235; 01-09-19 at 06:20 PM.
u235 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 06:07 PM
  #9  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,396

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Much like the days of affordable concert venues, I am forever stuck with the idea that you can actually find a room for one at $40 without bedbugs or crackheads. It is, indeed, not a fact. Those same manner of rooms have hit near the $80 mark. Something I would consider "nice" is near that 3 dead president mark IMO for this area. Something acceptable in between.
Juan Foote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 06:33 PM
  #10  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,955

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I hate paying anything over $100 for a bed... I'm gonna have my eyes closed, so why do I care how fancy the room is... My wife on the other hand likes to sleep in rooms that "famous" people have once occupied... So needless to say, I don't get my way all the time.

Now what really gets me is that the high end resorts tend to charge you not only high rates for the room, but then nickle and dime you for things like parking and wifi and coffee... etc. Like your Marriots and the like... where they charge $200 plus AND charge you for wifi, movies... etc.
I work in the hotel industry and have for 20 years (specifically in the tech space), and let me tell you this is a point of contention. For both sides. It is LITERALLY 50/50 with people complaining about nickle and diming, and other people complaining they don't like the higher rates... and if you try to compromise with a resort fee, you get 50% of the people staying complaining

Stuff needs to be paid for, and none of the three above make 100% of the people happy.

Personally I hate the nickle and diming but the expedias of the world have forced the hand. With the cheap rates being the only measurement to get guests in, those extras have to be recovered somewhere.
Maelstrom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 06:35 PM
  #11  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,955

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Personally, I generally stay in hotels around the 150$ mark. 3 start limited service but higher end. (so not super 8, but generally not Westin either). I always... everytime look for hotels where I can pay for the upgrade on wifi. I also always put a DND on the door so housekeeping wont bug me.

I travel about 5 months a year professionally.. I am super picky about my hotel stays and know all too well how ****ty those 40$ rooms are. I stay in those when I visit hodunk canada... but won't do it unless I have to.. *shudders*
Maelstrom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 07:45 PM
  #12  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 6,983

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
What is a 'vacation'?

Is that like when my family piled into a 1974 AMC Matador wagon and towed a trailer somewhere then our dog ate some of an electric blanket in the trailer and threw up in there outside of Twin Falls, Idaho?

Was that the year we ended up in Yellowstone, saw the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, tried to sleep through the most hellacious thunderstorm we ever encountered and the next morning a ranger informed us that the observation point we stood on dropped into the canyon?

Or when we drove to Kennewick, Washington to visit a friend we called an 'aunt' and my parents bought Star Wars episode IV t-shirts for my brother and I at the Kmart? The shirts lasted longer than the transfers.

Our vacations were almost like Malcolm In The Middle.
__________________
Summary: Life is still 100% fatal.

Last edited by Rollfast; 01-09-19 at 07:51 PM.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 08:21 PM
  #13  
Stormsedge
Senior Member
 
Stormsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 558

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Last year we spent $150-270 a night while visiting Texas. I've paid more than that in NYC, HI, Singapore and Hong Kong...but those were exceptions.
Stormsedge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 08:36 PM
  #14  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,239

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5582 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
I work in the hotel industry and have for 20 years (specifically in the tech space), and let me tell you this is a point of contention. For both sides. It is LITERALLY 50/50 with people complaining about nickle and diming, and other people complaining they don't like the higher rates... and if you try to compromise with a resort fee, you get 50% of the people staying complaining

Stuff needs to be paid for, and none of the three above make 100% of the people happy.

Personally I hate the nickle and diming but the expedias of the world have forced the hand. With the cheap rates being the only measurement to get guests in, those extras have to be recovered somewhere.
What the hell is a "resort fee?" If I am staying in the room to sleep in the bed... what exactly is "resort" about that... See the thing that gets me about such "fees" is that they are not included in the room rate... so you check in, expect to pay $130 a night, as quoted, and then get hit with local tax, occupancy tax, "resort fees" and other extras such as parking fee, wifi fee, telephone fee and hell, blanket fee.

I just want a clean bed. Not a royal screwing.

The real irony is that the cheap hotels/motels don't charge those awkward unmentioned fees... Nor do they try to block my wifi or cell phone... like the expensive "resort fee" places do.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/trave...ine/index.html

What does a "resort fee" cover?

It's like the friggen cell phone company... oh sure the per line rate is "only" $40, but then there is the connection fee, the hardware fee, the interstate call fee, the George W Bush cell phone fee (some folks call them "Obama phones," but it was W that signed that into law). By the time they finish with the billing, your "only $40 per line" is more like "only $60 or $70 per line."

So what is a "resort fee?" Which part of the bed did that pay for?

(yeah, sorry for the rant, but that is a real sore issue with me...)
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 08:39 PM
  #15  
skidder
Evil Genius
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 760

Bikes: More than I need.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
I like doing the San Luis Obispo- Orange County coastal ride a few times a year, and pay $150 - $200 for a room in the Southern California area. That's during non-holiday periods. Not meaning to plug a certain chain, but I usually stay at Best Western affiliated hotels - they are everywhere, have a good rewards points system, and I know the corporate parent is a stickler for their franchisees to keep the building services up-to-date (I can tell when upkeep is lacking). The last time I went over that was $225 for a boutique hotel room in Santa Monica, CA in a nicely restored old hotel. The room was small (like most old hotels have), but being a fan of cool old architectural detail that's being kept up-to-date made me willing to pay the price.
skidder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 08:42 PM
  #16  
308jerry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Personally the last three trips we've taken, New Orleans, Louisville KY and Moab and went through VRBO or Airbnb. Louisville the motels were going to be 1100 for three nights, we stayed in a beautiful condo in Old Louisville for 360. New Orleans we stayed in a really nice condo on the end of Bourbon Street and Frenchman area for less than any of the motels in the area.
Not sure that's gonna work for you but check them out. We've had nothing but great places to stay......
308jerry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 08:45 PM
  #17  
Hondo Gravel
misanthrope
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 552

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I look for restored ma and pa motels that are clean and cheap. Found one near the Rock Island Line trailhead near KC that connnects to The Katy for $56 but on avg depending on location $90-120. Hate spending the money when possible I pitch a tent cook on a Coleman stove and ice down some beer that is more fun than being in a motel for me. I stayed at the casino in Booneville Mo right on The Katy and the slots took my money but it was fun. Took a route to Windsor then the next day a route to Portland but I had a chase vehichle. Is that cheating? It was nice to have cold Gatorade in the ice chest.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 09:04 PM
  #18  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
What the hell is a "resort fee?" If I am staying in the room to sleep in the bed... what exactly is "resort" about that... See the thing that gets me about such "fees" is that they are not included in the room rate... so you check in, expect to pay $130 a night, as quoted, and then get hit with local tax, occupancy tax, "resort fees" and other extras such as parking fee, wifi fee, telephone fee and hell, blanket fee.

I just want a clean bed. Not a royal screwing.

The real irony is that the cheap hotels/motels don't charge those awkward unmentioned fees... Nor do they try to block my wifi or cell phone... like the expensive "resort fee" places do.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/trave...ine/index.html

What does a "resort fee" cover?

It's like the friggen cell phone company... oh sure the per line rate is "only" $40, but then there is the connection fee, the hardware fee, the interstate call fee, the George W Bush cell phone fee (some folks call them "Obama phones," but it was W that signed that into law). By the time they finish with the billing, your "only $40 per line" is more like "only $60 or $70 per line."

So what is a "resort fee?" Which part of the bed did that pay for?

(yeah, sorry for the rant, but that is a real sore issue with me...)
Block cell phone? I never heard of that and doubt it is even legal. What is bad about the resort fees is they spring it on you once you check in. I always ask when making reservations. I refuse to pay a resort fee. I have stayed at places with resort fee but the company was paying for the room.

Resort fees get you things like access to the gym. Most of my vacations are either bicycle or sailing related. At the end of the day I am so tired I am not working out in any gym.
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 09:11 PM
  #19  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 308jerry View Post
Personally the last three trips we've taken, New Orleans, Louisville KY and Moab and went through VRBO or Airbnb. Louisville the motels were going to be 1100 for three nights, we stayed in a beautiful condo in Old Louisville for 360. New Orleans we stayed in a really nice condo on the end of Bourbon Street and Frenchman area for less than any of the motels in the area.
Not sure that's gonna work for you but check them out. We've had nothing but great places to stay......
Spoke to a fellow on the train out of Eugene. He also paid over a thousand dollars for 2 or 3 nights in Eugene. Both he and I must have been the only two people on the planet that did not know there is a huge Grateful Dead concert in Eugene that time of year. Fortunately for me, I had a warmshowers host for the night.

My brother was chef at a hotel right on Bourbon Street. I wish I had taken him up on an offer for a free room at the hotel. I figured there is always next time, until he moved on.
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 09:15 PM
  #20  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
Thread Starter
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,171

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I look for restored ma and pa motels that are clean and cheap. Found one near the Rock Island Line trailhead near KC that connnects to The Katy for $56 but on avg depending on location $90-120. Hate spending the money when possible I pitch a tent cook on a Coleman stove and ice down some beer that is more fun than being in a motel for me. I stayed at the casino in Booneville Mo right on The Katy and the slots took my money but it was fun. Took a route to Windsor then the next day a route to Portland but I had a chase vehichle. Is that cheating? It was nice to have cold Gatorade in the ice chest.
I found one in Metaline Falls. It was a mile or two out of town. Fairly cheap. I dd not expect much. It was all recently remodeled brand new everything. Probably the nicest room I have ever stayed in, in my life. Super clean and the most comfortable bed you can imagine. .
spinnaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 10:11 PM
  #21  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,239

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5582 Post(s)
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
I like doing the San Luis Obispo- Orange County coastal ride a few times a year, and pay $150 - $200 for a room in the Southern California area. That's during non-holiday periods. Not meaning to plug a certain chain, but I usually stay at Best Western affiliated hotels - they are everywhere, have a good rewards points system, and I know the corporate parent is a stickler for their franchisees to keep the building services up-to-date (I can tell when upkeep is lacking). The last time I went over that was $225 for a boutique hotel room in Santa Monica, CA in a nicely restored old hotel. The room was small (like most old hotels have), but being a fan of cool old architectural detail that's being kept up-to-date made me willing to pay the price.
My wife does stuff like that... old hotel, rooms that "someone" has stayed in before... but here's the bottom line... you glance at that decor for a few minutes checing in and out... and are asleep in perhaps a substandard bed... because it's "historic."

So what are you really getting out of it... a bad nights sleep and a thinner wallet... you'd be better off not checking in, but just exploring the lobby, and if they have it, going to the restaurant... you'll be awake (eyes open) longer, see more detail, AND sleep in a better bed elsewhere.

I just don't see paying more for less just because it is old... especially when your eyes are closed for most of the visit.

Yeah, I have stayed in old places (remember, the wife likes em)... like the Copper Queen in Bisbee, or the Hotel Dell in Coronado, or the Congress in Tucson... they all had water pressure issues, and odd smells, and cost too much. So what IS the draw?
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 10:20 PM
  #22  
daoswald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT (Formerly Los Angeles, CA)
Posts: 802

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse (AL) w/105 components, Conti GP4000sII 28mm tires, Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels, Tubus Fly Evo rack -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX w/Alivio components, Tubus Cargo Evo rack, Conti GP4Season 32mm tires.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I recently returned from a trip overseas. I had a nine hour layover during the day in Los Angeles. I paid $175 to get a hotel just so my family and I could take a shower, and a nap for a few hours before grabbing some dinner and catching our final flight. After clearing customs we checked in at about 11:30am and out about 7:00pm, so it wasn't even an overnight stay (at least not in the timezone we were located in at the time); just long enough to rest a few hours.

When you've just gotten off a 12 hour flight, 15 timezones away, you'll pay anything to avoid sitting around the airport like a zombie, with young kids, for nine hours.

Frankly, $150 isn't bad nowadays. I rarely find rates at places I'd be comfortable in for much less than that, and often places cost more. But do consider AirB&B. Sometimes that works out better, particularly for longer trips.
daoswald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 10:21 PM
  #23  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,239

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5582 Post(s)
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Block cell phone? I never heard of that and doubt it is even legal. What is bad about the resort fees is they spring it on you once you check in. I always ask when making reservations. I refuse to pay a resort fee. I have stayed at places with resort fee but the company was paying for the room.

Resort fees get you things like access to the gym. Most of my vacations are either bicycle or sailing related. At the end of the day I am so tired I am not working out in any gym.
So if I don't use the pool, or gym, or spa, or sauna, or tennis courts... why do I have to pay a resort fee... I just want the bed and shower... heck, I won't even use the phone or internet(the latter likely not secure anyway).

And yes, such blockages ARE illegal... but the hotel has to be caught, first. Marriott got caught... who else is doing it?
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 10:37 PM
  #24  
Hondo Gravel
misanthrope
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 552

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
So if I don't use the pool, or gym, or spa, or sauna, or tennis courts... why do I have to pay a resort fee... I just want the bed and shower... heck, I won't even use the phone or internet(the latter likely not secure anyway).

And yes, such blockages ARE illegal... but the hotel has to be caught, first. Marriott got caught... who else is doing it?
My neighbors travels a lot for his job and he has complained of cell phone / internet blocks and I believe it was Marriot. He had to go elsewhere to call his wife. This was a few years ago.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-19, 10:50 PM
  #25  
BikingTech
Senior Member
 
BikingTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Idaho
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
What is a 'vacation'?

Is that like when my family piled into a 1974 AMC Matador wagon and towed a trailer somewhere then our dog ate some of an electric blanket in the trailer and threw up in there outside of Twin Falls, Idaho?
1974 Twin Falls, daaamn. How many buildings were there back then? I was there only once for a track meet in 1983, was not impressed.
BikingTech is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service