Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Foundation home vs manufactured home

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Foundation home vs manufactured home

Reply

Old 02-06-19, 06:52 PM
  #26  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,895

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yup, saw it many times when I was an inspector for federal OSHA. We seldom did residential housing construction inspections unless there was a complaint or serious accident. But every time we did those inspections you could tell those homes would be ready to raze in 10-20 years.

Right now a former haven for local cyclists, the old rambling Walsh Ranch area west of Fort Worth, is undergoing rapid change toward McMansions. Very attractive to people who can't actually afford the lifestyle they're aspiring to. But cheap gas makes it cost effective to commute long distances. So old unused farm and ranch land is developed for fancy looking new homes without resorting to zero lot lines putting homes nut to butt and shoulder to shoulder with neighbors.

Never mind construction quality, road development, utilities or anything else. Just get the municipality on board and promise to address the peripheral development later.

In reality, for the next 10-20 years, the homes will begin to crumble while the overburdened two-lane blacktop farm to market roads see massive increases in collisions from traffic they were never intended to handle when the highways were built decades ago to serve a handful of farm and ranch families.
When I lived in Dallas in the mid 80's there was a lot of building going on. Some friends bought a new house built on zero lot lines in a big stater home development somewhere around Carrolton, and I bet that neighborhood looks a lot worse now. Another friend lived in Plano in a big development that was about half way done when the economy took a downturn then, and he says building just stopped with the homes left standing without any protection from the elements. It reminded him of a zombie movie where everyone else just vanishes. I bet those houses didn't hold up well either.
no motor? is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 09:30 AM
  #27  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,244

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Originally Posted by superdex View Post
different areas of the country require different types of foundations. wrong place to make the broad stroke. the rest of the discussion, well I have no opinion.
Indeed, So Cal requires rebar and metal grid in the slab, and the frame has to be hard tied to the slab and Simpson tied at all wall corners, and at joists, and sheer panels are required on all support walls. The finishes however are another story... drywall and mud inside, stucco over foam and mesh outside. That foam stuff can make a house appear to have fancy ledges, soffetts and brows, but it is just block foam.

Colder areas of the country require basements and stem walls; places like the PNW require tight seals, and robust eve and attic venting... houses have so many roof vents they look like a stegosaurus back.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 12:17 PM
  #28  
bobwysiwyg 
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 42.2808į N, 83.7430į W (A2 😉)
Posts: 1,652

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kedosto View Post
A recent episode from one of my favorite Podcasts, 99% Invisible. It's worth a listen.

The House That Came In The Mail.


-Kedosto
Quite often identified as historical in places.
__________________
"Skepticism is the first step in critical thinking." -- Me
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 03:50 PM
  #29  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,299

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
As a kid I lived in a two story foundation house too young to know or care. Parents divorced blah blah blah then my home was aka mobile home for the next 27 years survived etc etc in time Iím back into a house with a foundation ( Iím talking physical structure not family ) I know so what My observation is the superficial stigma put on homes that have a concrete slab foundation or not like a manufactured home. Silly to make judgment calls on people on the foundation of the house you live in. I know one type is more expensive but I donít care. IMO you already won the lottery being born an American. Then I see coastal Texas house built on stilts bike riding makes me think.
I nominate Hondo to be the new windhchaser!

You seem to suficiently love all people, how do you feel about Lady Gaga? Can you downgrade your spelling and punctuation?
RubeRad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 05:03 PM
  #30  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 39,637

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Deed on mine dates from 1900..
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 05:08 PM
  #31  
Hondo Gravel
misanthrope
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 648

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I nominate Hondo to be the new windhchaser!

You seem to suficiently love all people, how do you feel about Lady Gaga? Can you downgrade your spelling and punctuation?

Hondo Gravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 05:13 PM
  #32  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 6,129

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
I like the idea that windchaser isn't a person, but rather a mantle to be carried by those of the correct spirit.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 06:03 PM
  #33  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,895

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
We've all got a little windy in us, it's a flame that keeps burning brightly.
no motor? is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 07:36 PM
  #34  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,053

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Deed on mine dates from 1900..
1911 on mine. It's a cinder block foundation, not poured concrete, which apparently wasn't used in foundations until later.

Not the most water tight and can see termites using the interior channels of the block to migrate up and into the wood structure, often unseen. I don't have a finished basement as a result, never will and have a termite contract.
Steve B. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-19, 08:32 PM
  #35  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 21,462
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7823 Post(s)
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
One thing I've noticed, many "manufactured homes" take a lot of short cuts in construction. Not True
I'm sure it varies from place to place. I had some second cousins that bought a unique 2-story Pre-Fab down in Nevada.

A while ago I looked at some Demo Pre-Fab homes. Some things that really surprised me were facings above the closets that consisted of about 4" of unsupported sheet-rock hanging down. One tiny bump, and wham... broken sheetrock.

Plugs in the USA can be either 15A or 20A. While there are 20A style plugs, the parallel blade plugs are commonly used with either 15A or 20A circuits. The big difference is the use of 12ga vs 14ga wire.

When we built our house, it was 12ga throughout, and all plugs on 20A circuits. Even lights (that was pre-LED).

Most of the manufactured homes are 14ga throughout, and nothing bigger than 15A.

The tubs and showers I've seen in manufactured homes are funky to say the least.

One of Mom's neighbors has a manufactured home bought 10 or 20 years ago. She's having a lot of little problems. Things like doors and door jams are wearing out, molding falling off, etc. Much of it is very uninspiring.

Of course, as others have mentioned, it all really depends on the cost, and investment, and who is building, including the standard frame buit houses. Local building codes/inspections?
CliffordK is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:16 AM
  #36  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,299

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
We've all got a little windy in us, it's a flame that keeps burning brightly.
(a) Beano helps
(b) Don't light them
RubeRad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 10:17 AM
  #37  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,299

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Indeed, So Cal requires rebar and metal grid in the slab, and the frame has to be hard tied to the slab and Simpson tied at all wall corners, and at joists, and sheer panels are required on all support walls. The finishes however are another story... drywall and mud inside, stucco over foam and mesh outside. That foam stuff can make a house appear to have fancy ledges, soffetts and brows, but it is just block foam.

Colder areas of the country require basements and stem walls; places like the PNW require tight seals, and robust eve and attic venting... houses have so many roof vents they look like a stegosaurus back.
I've always wondered why basements aren't common in California. Since real estate is so insanely expensive, it's a great way to boost your square footage. I wish my 2-story, ~1300sqft townhouse also had a basement.
RubeRad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:21 AM
  #38  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,244

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I've always wondered why basements aren't common in California. Since real estate is so insanely expensive, it's a great way to boost your square footage. I wish my 2-story, ~1300sqft townhouse also had a basement.
No need for a basement... at least in So Cal... no frostline to have to build to.

Deep footings however, are required. There ARE homes with basement like features built on steep slopes. Friend of mine did a new home about 15 years ago that went through "hillside review" in San Diego County... it required extensive footings and strong stem walls. To present to the building department, he built a model, showing slope and footings... they were quite impressed... granted permit quickly. His builder said it was the proverbial "brick ****house." Made for a nice wine cellar.
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 11:22 AM
  #39  
coffeesnob
Senior Member
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Va
Posts: 420

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2399 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'm sure it varies from place to place. I had some second cousins that bought a unique 2-story Pre-Fab down in Nevada.

A while ago I looked at some Demo Pre-Fab homes. Some things that really surprised me were facings above the closets that consisted of about 4" of unsupported sheet-rock hanging down. One tiny bump, and wham... broken sheetrock.

Plugs in the USA can be either 15A or 20A. While there are 20A style plugs, the parallel blade plugs are commonly used with either 15A or 20A circuits. The big difference is the use of 12ga vs 14ga wire.

When we built our house, it was 12ga throughout, and all plugs on 20A circuits. Even lights (that was pre-LED).

Most of the manufactured homes are 14ga throughout, and nothing bigger than 15A.

The tubs and showers I've seen in manufactured homes are funky to say the least.

One of Mom's neighbors has a manufactured home bought 10 or 20 years ago. She's having a lot of little problems. Things like doors and door jams are wearing out, molding falling off, etc. Much of it is very uninspiring.

Of course, as others have mentioned, it all really depends on the cost, and investment, and who is building, including the standard frame buit houses. Local building codes/inspections?
Ok, maybe we should clarify manufactured homes. I take it you are talking about a mobile home better known as a trailer. I am talking about houses ( wood) that are built inside much like an assembly line. I had one I bought new back in 1991 It was all wood joists 16 inch on center huge rafters, 3/4 inch plywood for the roof, built tight and snug. The sub flooring was solid as a rock, Insulated great. It was called a unibilt I don't even know if they are in business anymore.

yes they are unibiltcustomhomes.com/

Last edited by coffeesnob; 02-08-19 at 11:25 AM. Reason: found link
coffeesnob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 12:10 PM
  #40  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,244

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Perhaps the biggest issue regarding "prebuilt" verses foundation and stick built, is the limitation of designs, and remodeling later.

Hard to do a 16 foot tall ceiling "great room" in a prebuilt. Maybe it could be done... just never seen it.

There also exists a thing called (I think) a Linden log home... I believe these come as some form of kit, and they DO do "great rooms."
genec is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 03:52 PM
  #41  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,736

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I'm guessing the performace space had all sorts of interesting levels, sloped spaces ("seating areas") and open unsuppored structure, whereas the parking garage is a bunch of uniform boxes at consistent heights, with plenty of regular supports.​​​​​​
Not to mention built to last with higher quality materials.
dedhed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 12:05 AM
  #42  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,130

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Do you mean 'trailer' or 'modular? Modular homes tend to go on a foundation.
__________________
I don't know Everything...I've just been at it long enough to know why it's probably messed up.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 12:06 AM
  #43  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 7,130

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I like the idea that windchaser isn't a person, but rather a mantle to be carried by those of the correct spirit.
A Men. or Wo Men.
__________________
I don't know Everything...I've just been at it long enough to know why it's probably messed up.
Rollfast is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service