Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Yard Crew Noise - Residential

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Yard Crew Noise - Residential

Old 05-17-20, 08:46 AM
  #1  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Yard Crew Noise - Residential

Oh how I miss the days when most people cut their own lawn. One low power machine running at a time, might take one person 1.5 hours to do a small residential lawn. With a noise level at a low drone, like listening to boats in the distance on a lake or bay.

All these three person lawn crews with 20 horsepower stand up "ground helicopters", triple air capacity blowers, and double capacity trimmers blast away any semblance of neighborhood quiet. Sure, a three man crew can knock out a small yard in 20 minutes, but the sonic blast overcomes almost any other thing you're trying to listen to.

At least two thirds of the yards around here get this weekly sonic assault. Whether the yard in question needs cutting or not. Sure is hilarious when the crew cuts a yard that never even gets watered. Just the tops of weeds are clipped while a small tornado of a dust storm, kicked up by the "ground helicopter", engulfs the house.
FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-17-20, 09:10 AM
  #2  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 719

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Just the tops of weeds are clipped while a small tornado of a dust storm, kicked up by the "ground helicopter", engulfs the house.
That’s how they justify the maid service. People are lazy. Very, very lazy. And overly entitled to everything their neighbors have.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-17-20, 09:15 AM
  #3  
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,063

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked 2,385 Times in 1,543 Posts
Sitting on the John Deere mowing with a cold beer is something I will always do myself. Like the episode of King Of The Hill where Hank and his cronies were salivating over the latest riding lawnmower. Except mind has aged with a few lower deck rebuilds from hitting roots and rocks.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-17-20, 09:26 AM
  #4  
skijor
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 952

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 351 Posts
Every time they show up, crank up the outdoor speakers with What's New *****cat? 21 times.

skijor is offline  
Likes For skijor:
Old 05-17-20, 09:32 AM
  #5  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,736

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10848 Post(s)
Liked 2,845 Times in 1,951 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Sitting on the John Deere mowing with a cold beer is something I will always do myself. Like the episode of King Of The Hill where Hank and his cronies were salivating over the latest riding lawnmower. Except mind has aged with a few lower deck rebuilds from hitting roots and rocks.
Don't have a Deere, but I do have a riding mower... and when I get it done, it is done right. I will admit though I do not have the "power" of a 3-5 man crew... so I tend to do raking in a staggered manner... one area each week.
genec is offline  
Likes For genec:
Old 05-17-20, 10:33 AM
  #6  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Stone Mountain, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 990

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 218 Posts
Come to my apt complex when the professionals "rearrange the dust"

Grosse bordel!
Digger Goreman is offline  
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-17-20, 10:35 AM
  #7  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy View Post
The theme song for Bike Forums.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:56 AM
  #8  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
I found a solution for those that won't mow their own grass, but still want the experience of it all while sitting at their computer.

FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 11:28 AM
  #9  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
So tempting to do this myself.

FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 01:43 PM
  #10  
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member
 
Jseis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The old Northwest Coast.
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Picked up this 50 Volt Ryobi at HD when the floor manager mentioned to a staffer that could they clear this stock at 50% off? and the staffer said “probably “ and I overheard them and said “Sold!”.

It’s absurdly quiet, self propelled with load sensing. Cuts our crazy quilt lawn in two charges. I only need the 26hp lawn tractor for the big field in front. Folds up, stores easy. No gas, oil, etc.





Last edited by Jseis; 05-17-20 at 01:46 PM.
Jseis is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 02:06 PM
  #11  
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples
 
JustinOldPhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 83

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
I had a Craftsman self-propelled mower and a McLane edger. They both went belly-up at about the same time after 15 years of service. I put them to the curb for Juan the Metal Man to take care of.

I have gone to the 18V Ryobi mower and edger. FFS, it's about the size of a toy bobble-blowing mower. Cuter than a bug's ear. It works just fine, is pretty quiet, mows my lawn on 1/2 a charge, and uses the same batteries as the rest of my 'lactical hand tools.
JustinOldPhart is offline  
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 05-17-20, 02:40 PM
  #12  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,369
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13922 Post(s)
Liked 6,931 Times in 3,501 Posts
Meh. Move to the big city a experience a gas company crew jackhammering at 11 pm to fix a leaking lateral.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-20, 03:29 PM
  #13  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Meh. Move to the big city a experience a gas company crew jackhammering at 11 pm to fix a leaking lateral.
I get the same effect when my backyard neighbor has an all night drunkfest pool party. Boomin' bass, and drunken yellin' that turns into drunken fightin'. Weekdays or weekends, doesn't matter. The guy is a long ago divorced middle aged salesman that acts like he's still in college.

We are all on something like 55' x 115' lots. The back of pool party man's house is maybe 60 feet away from the back of my house, but it could be worse.

3 houses away from me laterally is a house that throws larger parties nearly every Sunday* and has a louder sound system. When they crank it up, they noise overcomes what my backyard neighbor is doing.

*Pre-COVID.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 03:55 PM
  #14  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
Picked up this 50 Volt Ryobi at HD when the floor manager mentioned to a staffer that could they clear this stock at 50% off? and the staffer said “probably “ and I overheard them and said “Sold!”.

It’s absurdly quiet, self propelled with load sensing. Cuts our crazy quilt lawn in two charges. I only need the 26hp lawn tractor for the big field in front. Folds up, stores easy. No gas, oil, etc.
Originally Posted by JustinOldPhart View Post
I had a Craftsman self-propelled mower and a McLane edger. They both went belly-up at about the same time after 15 years of service. I put them to the curb for Juan the Metal Man to take care of.

I have gone to the 18V Ryobi mower and edger. FFS, it's about the size of a toy bobble-blowing mower. Cuter than a bug's ear. It works just fine, is pretty quiet, mows my lawn on 1/2 a charge, and uses the same batteries as the rest of my 'lactical hand tools.
Once my current set of lawn equipment dies, I'm going to really look into electric. My battery powered tools are mostly Milwaukee. Not sure if they make a lawnmower that would share batteries or not.

Until then, I still have gas powered lawn equipment. I just used the items below this afternoon. Definitely quieter than a "pro" yard crew, especially when used one at a time. The neighbors standing outside across the street carried on a conversation the whole time I was doing the front yard.


FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-17-20, 04:08 PM
  #15  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 627 Posts
As far back as I can remember (probably the first time I was ordered by my dad to go mow a lawn for nothing) I have always hated the idea of conventional yards, they're just too much work and way way too much noise, just to have your yard look like a second rate version of a golf course in Scotland.

It's ridiculous, but everyone does it. The city of Berkeley CA passed a local ordinance about 30 years ago banning gas-powered leaf blowers (probably the only law they ever passed i agreed with). Can't those useless things at least be electric? Is that so much to ask?

In CA in general, there has been a trend toward planting more drought-hardy natural shrubs and plants, fewer lawns, and more astroturf, which I think is great. I don't think LA people should be wasting so much water on lawns, but i don't live there so I will let them figure out that problem, amongst themselves.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-17-20, 05:18 PM
  #16  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
As far back as I can remember (probably the first time I was ordered by my dad to go mow a lawn for nothing) I have always hated the idea of conventional yards, they're just too much work and way way too much noise, just to have your yard look like a second rate version of a golf course in Scotland.

It's ridiculous, but everyone does it. The city of Berkeley CA passed a local ordinance about 30 years ago banning gas-powered leaf blowers (probably the only law they ever passed i agreed with). Can't those useless things at least be electric? Is that so much to ask?

In CA in general, there has been a trend toward planting more drought-hardy natural shrubs and plants, fewer lawns, and more astroturf, which I think is great. I don't think LA people should be wasting so much water on lawns, but i don't live there so I will let them figure out that problem, amongst themselves.
I want to say I remember reading about the Berkeley blower ban back then.

Here in Southeast Texas we have just enough rain where having a nice looking lawn is in the HOA agreement. I'd rather have green painted concrete.
FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-17-20, 05:54 PM
  #17  
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,063

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked 2,385 Times in 1,543 Posts
The lonely Echo .all ready to blow On 40 to1 .. because I don’t measure it too good. But a dose of Sea Foam fixes it everytime. Lawn equipment rules when ya gotta do that lawn maintenance. yup I know it’s 50 to 1


Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-17-20, 05:57 PM
  #18  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,369
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13922 Post(s)
Liked 6,931 Times in 3,501 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I get the same effect when my backyard neighbor has an all night drunkfest pool party. Boomin' bass, and drunken yellin' that turns into drunken fightin'. Weekdays or weekends, doesn't matter. The guy is a long ago divorced middle aged salesman that acts like he's still in college.

We are all on something like 55' x 115' lots. The back of pool party man's house is maybe 60 feet away from the back of my house, but it could be worse.

3 houses away from me laterally is a house that throws larger parties nearly every Sunday* and has a louder sound system. When they crank it up, they noise overcomes what my backyard neighbor is doing.

*Pre-COVID.
Try 20’ from the front window of your 50x16 lot with row homes on both sides of the block to echo the noise from the jackhammers and compressor. Last week a crew was working up the street. I had a hard time hearing what was being said on a conference call with the phone to my ear. Had to close the window.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-17-20 at 06:00 PM.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 06:04 PM
  #19  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Try 20’ from the front window of your 50x16 lot with row homes on both sides of the block to echo the noise from the jackhammers and compressor. Last week a crew was working up the street. I had a hard time hearing what was being said on a conference call with the phone to my ear. Had to close the window.
You can put a home on 50x16?

"Had to close the window." Lololol. (Not laughing at you, that was damn funny )

We don't do open windows here. Mosquitoes, White Wing Doves (stupid creatures), pollen clouds, thunderstorms, humidity, and yard crews.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-17-20 at 06:14 PM. Reason: parentheses and yard crews
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 06:10 PM
  #20  
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,690
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
You can put a home on 50x16?

"Had to close the window." Lololol.

We don't do open windows here. Mosquitoes, White Wing Doves (stupid creatures), pollen clouds, thunderstorms, humidity, etc.
Why did you have to say the name of that stupid song??? Thank you for that.

This inside of my head for the next 3 days:

Lemond1985 is offline  
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-17-20, 06:12 PM
  #21  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Why did you have to say the name of that stupid song??? Thank you for that.

This inside of my head for the next 3 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8-4tjPxD8
All these years I've heard that song and I never knew Stevie Nicks was singing about friggin' doves.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 06:19 PM
  #22  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,936

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Once my current set of lawn equipment dies, I'm going to really look into electric. My battery powered tools are mostly Milwaukee. Not sure if they make a lawnmower that would share batteries or not.

Until then, I still have gas powered lawn equipment. I just used the items below this afternoon. Definitely quieter than a "pro" yard crew, especially when used one at a time. The neighbors standing outside across the street carried on a conversation the whole time I was doing the front yard.


Change the oil regularly in that Honda and use Stihl two stroke oil at 50:1 in the Ryobis and they'll last forever. Use Honda 10W-30 or Briggs and Stratton SAE30 oil in the mower. Not car oil, the additives don't like the higher temperatures of air cooled engines.
Trevtassie is offline  
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-17-20, 06:21 PM
  #23  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
The lonely Echo .all ready to blow On 40 to1 .. because I don’t measure it too good. But a dose of Sea Foam fixes it everytime. Lawn equipment rules when ya gotta do that lawn maintenance. yup I know it’s 50 to 1

I still have my old Ratio Rite from my motorcycle days for blending pre-mix fuel. Hard to use for 1 gallon jugs of gas though. So much oil stays on the walls of the Ratio Rite that the ratio always goes lean on oil.
FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-17-20, 06:27 PM
  #24  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Change the oil regularly in that Honda and use Stihl two stroke oil at 50:1 in the Ryobis and they'll last forever. Use Honda 10W-30 or Briggs and Stratton SAE30 oil in the mower. Not car oil, the additives don't like the higher temperatures of air cooled engines.


Already got 5 years on the Honda and hope to get at least another decade out of it. It was a special order birthday present from the wife for my 50th b-day. Special order because no one stocks non-self propelled Honda mowers here. Kinda hard to believe, but such is the North American market I suppose.
FiftySix is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 06:32 PM
  #25  
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,063

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked 2,385 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I still have my old Ratio Rite from my motorcycle days for blending pre-mix fuel. Hard to use for 1 gallon jugs of gas though. So much oil stays on the walls of the Ratio Rite that the ratio always goes lean on oil.
yup, I’ve eyeballed mix ratios forever and guessed at torque ratios on bikes parts I would torque a part down per speciation and end up in the middle of the ride tightening to what I think it should be then years later a You Tube video says don’t listen to that just make it tight. So yes my bikes are tightened too tight I will list the breakdowns that didn’t happen on a later post
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.