Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Cheese and Rice have I been sick - food poisoning (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/1209634-cheese-rice-have-i-been-sick-food-poisoning.html)

Juan Foote 08-07-20 02:48 PM

Cheese and Rice have I been sick - food poisoning
 
The wife and I along with some good friends have been trying to get together since Feb for one of our bi-annual trips, the other typically around Oct. Obviously the old "VID" has made that increasingly difficult. Anywho, we have been watching Airbnb and found a really great spot down in Jax with a pool, hot tub, and dog friendly. We packed all the food we needed for the stay and went on to a TERRIFIC time over the weekend. On the way out of town we tried to stop in a Waffle House and this place was completely packed to a point of nope. Followed directions to a nearby McDonalds to get something for the road and it was in a WalMart, also a nope. Ended up being a chicken place in the parking lot called Jollibee. Figured what the heck.....

I had never HEARD of Jollibee. A quick look up indicated that they are a Philippine based/themed restaurant which serves a variety of food, highlighting fried chicken, and spaghetti on the drive through sign (ya, pretty odd) along with hamburgers and all manner of other things. I am a get hangry kind of guy, particularly for something breakfast and just need to eat. Each of the other three companions (wife included) also gave this place a quick nope. I had ordered what I thought was a plain fried chicken sandwich and some fries. We were asked to pull into a waiting spot while they cooked the fries and we waited...spun the dog around...said goodbye to our friends again. Here comes the bag(s) of food and we are off. Had to stop for gas, blah blah, get on the road and are a few miles away before I really even have a chance to get in the bag.
At this moment I have to stop and tell on myself. I didn't KNOW exactly what I had ordered. As above, I thought I had gotten a plain old fried chicken sandwich and some fries. Got a Pepsi too, not my thing, but it was Goldilocks amount of carbonation and by FAR the best part about what was coming. The fries were nice and hot. Completely devoid of taste, salt, proper amount of cooking...but they WERE hot. The sandwich was in a very attractive and tasty bun. The coating on the chicken was orange. Not sure what all was in that, but the sauce OH, the sauce! Yes, first bite quickly indicated an overcooked chicken breast with a coating I had never experienced. I am not sure what seasonings were in there. I don't know what the people in the Philippines use on their chicken, so it was already a bit of a culinary surprise. That sauce though...man! The first impression was bad mayonnaise with a good helping of fish sauce. And I don't mean like the good aromatic type you might find in good pho, oh no. It was bad, I KNEW it was bad, but I was hangry and thought to myself that perhaps I just wasn't giving it a proper chance. I mean, what do I know about Philippine cuisine?
I went on to take three bites before becoming quite sure that something was seriously amiss with the sandwich. I threw it in the bag and down the road we go. The burps that came on shortly afterward were a herald to the fun I have been enduring for the last five days. My gods, I found ALL the chewing gum I swallowed in grade school. There were a set of car keys to a car I have never owned. I found some glasses I thought I lost in a couch. And I now have a pet gerbil.

Probably (still) should go to the hospital but think I would rather die here in peace. Ugh. At least I am still chipper enough to type, and I have been able to eat even though I have goose guts.

BenzFanatic 08-07-20 04:23 PM

Food poisoning is the absolute worst. FIVE days of vomiting? Sweet Jesus. I'm certainly not a doctor but I think you really should at least contact your primary care physician, unless you're waiting on more stomach gifts.

canklecat 08-08-20 12:16 AM

Ugh. Been there, done that, although usually only for a day or two.

I'm usually wary of some restaurants even if I generally like the cuisine. If anything looks, smells or seems the slightest bit off, I don't eat. I think the worst I've seen was a Shoney's, one of those once popular roadside places. Terrible food, everything smelled of rancid grease. Manager gave me a hard time about refusing the food or paying. Only time I've ever done that.

Same with Lisa's chicken, a popular small chain in my hometown. No idea why it's popular because the place stinks of rancid grease, and everything tastes like they fry chicken and fish in the same grease. Once upon a time in the South that was grounds for tarring and feathering a chef. But I guess we're kinder, gentler rednecks now and let restaurants get away with one of the unpardonable sins of Southern cuisine. I barely finished my food and never ate there again.

Now when my friends rave about Lisa's I look at them as if they're aliens and any moment might burst out of their meatsack skinsuits and do a tentacle dance.

Juan Foote 08-10-20 06:58 AM


Originally Posted by BenzFanatic (Post 21628935)
Food poisoning is the absolute worst. FIVE days of vomiting? Sweet Jesus. I'm certainly not a doctor but I think you really should at least contact your primary care physician, unless you're waiting on more stomach gifts.

Blessedly it's not been vomiting. Unfortunately I am still dealing with it. I thought I was getting a bit better on Saturday, but alas my gut has proven me wrong.
I am in contact with a doc and have been informed of some things to watch out for and do. Basically stay hydrated, eat simple, and drink loads of water.

Juan Foote 08-13-20 08:23 AM

I think I may be recovering, finally. I am a bit worried in that I started feeling a bit better Saturday but fell back into being sick again.

Lost a total of right at 30# in 11 days.

FiftySix 08-13-20 11:45 AM

11 days!!!! Jeez!!!!

I've had food poisoning two times that I know of, both due to situations with chicken. The second time it happened, by day three I really thought it was the end if I didn't get hydrated.

jack pot 08-13-20 06:46 PM

^^^^ seems a little more serious than bad grease :eek:

downtube42 08-13-20 08:10 PM

I was in a mostly empty restaurant along interstate 64 in southern Indiana with my young family, when one of the staff slowly sauntered across the other side of dining room giving me a long sideways look. "They're going to poison me", I thought to myself. I should have listened to my instinct and left.

I think I was able to keep dry toast and water down, after ten days.

Juan Foote 08-19-20 01:54 PM


Originally Posted by jack pot (Post 21639866)
^^^^ seems a little more serious than bad grease :eek:


I have a really cool doctor who I see when things get really bad. We talk otherwise. He actually suspected norovirus aside from a symptom or two. The only other thing that fit is/was Salmonella.
Basically whatever it was likely only made me sick the first few days. He suggests that afterwards my stomach biome has been off and the symptoms hanging on are more an indication of that. I was only truly nauseous the first day and I think that had more to do with my gut moving so quickly. With my being able to eat and the lack of any other serious indicators (like blood) we opted not to go the hospital route.
I am still suffering just a touch from it, but a steady flow of Greek Yogurt seems to be helping things along nicely. My weight loss settled out, all said I am sitting on right at 26# of weight loss since early August. The really cool aspect, if there is one, is that my guts are COMPLETELY empty, reset, and even small portions are more than enough right now. It may end up being a bit of a blessing in disguise.

Juan Foote 08-19-20 02:02 PM


Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 21639999)
I was in a mostly empty restaurant along interstate 64 in southern Indiana with my young family, when one of the staff slowly sauntered across the other side of dining room giving me a long sideways look. "They're going to poison me", I thought to myself. I should have listened to my instinct and left.

There is a restaurant here called Spondivits, right up near the airport. It's been open since '79 and at one time was a good place to go have lunch or an early dinner. Pretty much always been a party spot late. Among many other things, one of the only spots around to get a bushel of raw oysters. Myself and a few friends where there a night, having oysters, that a fellow diner died at his table from that poison thing that happens with them. I have not eaten a raw oyster without seriously second guessing myself since and even at that only a time or two that I can recall. Hate it too, because I really like them. SLURP!

jack pot 08-19-20 02:34 PM

^^^^ SPONDIVOTS TRAVELER RATINGS :innocent: careful where you eat but what do i know > my fav place got shuttered by the heath dept and never reopened

  • Excellent
    335

  • Very good
    233

  • Average
    125

  • Poor
    56

  • Terrible
    100

Juan Foote 08-19-20 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by jack pot (Post 21649890)
^^^^ SPONDIVOTS TRAVELER RATINGS :innocent: careful where you eat but what do i know > my fav place got shuttered by the heath dept and never reopened

  • Excellent
    335

  • Very good
    233

  • Average
    125

  • Poor
    56

  • Terrible
    100

Go check the reviews on Google....located in Hapeville/Atl, GA...lol

There was a new Chinese restaurant that opened up nearby was freaking AWESOME, the food was SO good. Place stayed packed out.
Shortly after they opened the health dept did a spot check, scored a 20-something....among the issues was them mixing and storing food in used trash cans that had only been rinsed out. They closed for a week or two I imagine for some changes and education to be made. Shortly afterwards they came in again (obviously never really recovered business wise) and found them keeping trays of food directly on the floor.
Realizing there are parts of the world this is done...but Henry County GA ain't one of them.

genec 08-20-20 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by Juan Foote (Post 21649817)
I have a really cool doctor who I see when things get really bad. We talk otherwise. He actually suspected norovirus aside from a symptom or two. The only other thing that fit is/was Salmonella.
Basically whatever it was likely only made me sick the first few days. He suggests that afterwards my stomach biome has been off and the symptoms hanging on are more an indication of that. I was only truly nauseous the first day and I think that had more to do with my gut moving so quickly. With my being able to eat and the lack of any other serious indicators (like blood) we opted not to go the hospital route.
I am still suffering just a touch from it, but a steady flow of Greek Yogurt seems to be helping things along nicely. My weight loss settled out, all said I am sitting on right at 26# of weight loss since early August. The really cool aspect, if there is one, is that my guts are COMPLETELY empty, reset, and even small portions are more than enough right now. It may end up being a bit of a blessing in disguise.


Had something similar back a couple of decades ago when I got a staph infection on my shin. I had banged my shin hard in a bit of a bike mishap and apparently circulation isn't the best at that area of the front of the leg at the shinbone. It got infected. High fever, vomit, the whole thing. They put in a drain, and gave me strong doses of ciprofloxacin. Well that stuff killed my stomach.

After the shin healed I went the yogurt and apple route. Had to ensure that it was the kind with active cultures. Be sure to look for that on the label. These days there are other probiotics readily available. Eat lots of fiber too. Good luck.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.