Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

To Be, Or Not To Be...

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

To Be, Or Not To Be...

Old 05-17-06, 06:42 PM
  #26  
AdrianB
Up there!
 
AdrianB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 436

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia x 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stacey, I wish you all the best in this battle.
AdrianB is offline  
Old 05-17-06, 06:46 PM
  #27  
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 5,825

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck Stacey.

There is one definate about chemo if that is one of your options: you will get far sicker before you get better.

Cancer runs in my family heavily...so I've had to see this quite a few times, it's not pretty at all. All but my grandfather have had chemo....my grandfather was too far into the cancer when he went to the ER to be saved, he didn't live out the week. He was 70 years old, and up until the night he had to go to the ER was the shining image of health...I just couldn't understand why.

Just be ready to put down the bike for a while if you do go the chemo route....don't strain your body during the treatment. Also keep in mind that if you think the treatment is not in your best interests when you are already into it, you have a right to have them stop. My grandmother did this, after the chemo nearly killed her. She decided the cancer was a lesser problem than the chemo. So far it's been 8 years and she is still doing just fine...actually pretty good for an 83 year old cancer survivor.

No matter what, it's a horrific battle...just be strong, you can do it.
catatonic is offline  
Old 05-17-06, 06:54 PM
  #28  
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy
 
CycleMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,054

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stacey,

my heart goes out to you, I am sure that these days of waiting will be very tough. It sounds like you are using your time educate yourself, which will give you some sense of control. I wish for you peace, clarity and strength to get through. I will be thinking of you.

Liz
__________________
Where am I going?......

....and why am I in this handbasket?
CycleMagic is offline  
Old 05-17-06, 07:22 PM
  #29  
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Posts: 8,738

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say make a list of everything you've ever wanted to do before you died, then go do it. Good luck, do what you gotta do, then go do what you want to do.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline  
Old 05-18-06, 02:52 PM
  #30  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all... I spent most of Monday in the ER in a Morphine induced euphoria. Pain in my splenic area was so extreme I thought for sure it had ruptured. I wish this rollercoaster ride would soon end... good day, dood day, bad day, good day, bad day x 3. It sucks.

I tried to help make dinner last night, Wednesday is our traditional "Breakfast for Dinner" day. I offered to make cheese omelets (my littlte bit of helping around the house for the day) while my partner made bacon. By the time I was finished I was too exhausted to eat. Yes, I know... my fault. But I'm stubborn.

In my search for information and alternatives I found these sites.

Starting to look real good

Makes a lot of sense

God Bless Dr. Jack Kavorkian!
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-18-06, 02:55 PM
  #31  
Shadiyah
KombuchaCHIC
 
Shadiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC,UT
Posts: 496

Bikes: Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck Stacey! I wish you the speediest, easiest recovery!
Shadiyah is offline  
Old 05-19-06, 02:51 PM
  #32  
Michigander
Banned.
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,726

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think suicide is the lazy and greedy way out. (Kind of like breast reduction surgery). In this day and age, your odds of survival are not bad, and I certainly think you would have at least a couple of good decades left after you beat cancer. Lance Armstrong is a prime example with this being bike forums. Just the same, being a Libertarian I think you should do whatever you want. If you do choose the blow your brains out method, say hi to Sydney.
Michigander is offline  
Old 05-19-06, 03:03 PM
  #33  
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: Canondale Caad 8, Gary Fisher Marlin, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy for me to say, but stay positive Stacey. My very best, most positive thoughts are being sent your way.
Second Mouse is offline  
Old 05-19-06, 04:50 PM
  #34  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigander
I think suicide is the lazy and greedy way out. (Kind of like breast reduction surgery). In this day and age, your odds of survival are not bad, and I certainly think you would have at least a couple of good decades left after you beat cancer. Lance Armstrong is a prime example with this being bike forums. Just the same, being a Libertarian I think you should do whatever you want. If you do choose the blow your brains out method, say hi to Sydney.

Clearly you haven't reasearched life/death options fully.

"Lazy"? Hardly. It's the ultimate decision. Wether to continue to fight a loosing battle or make the doctors and drug companies richer when there's no way you could ever pay for it.

"Greedy"? Ok, if you say so

Interesting in how you can prognosticate my odds of recovery, my oncologist hasn't. Nor does he yet know what type of Leukemia we are dealing with.

Lance is a prime example of what? Testicular cancer? Mine is in my freakin' blood dude, I can't go get my blood cut out now can I?

Thank you for allowing me the right to make an informed decission. Lots of people wouldn't. If I do decide to excersize that option, I surely will

Peace
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-19-06, 08:16 PM
  #35  
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Posts: 1,560

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Clearly you haven't reasearched life/death options fully.

"Lazy"? Hardly. It's the ultimate decision. Wether to continue to fight a loosing battle or make the doctors and drug companies richer when there's no way you could ever pay for it.

"Greedy"? Ok, if you say so

Interesting in how you can prognosticate my odds of recovery, my oncologist hasn't. Nor does he yet know what type of Leukemia we are dealing with.

Lance is a prime example of what? Testicular cancer? Mine is in my freakin' blood dude, I can't go get my blood cut out now can I?

Thank you for allowing me the right to make an informed decission. Lots of people wouldn't. If I do decide to excersize that option, I surely will

Peace
Stupid leukemia in the blood and stuff!

While I don't think it's "lazy," I've decided that it's too easy a way out(for me). I might feel differently if I had a life-threatening condition, but I've been depressed/suicidal before and I'm glad I was able to put that stuff behind me. I figure I might as well try to stick around as long as possible...or at least until they can make cyberbrains and transfer my consciousness into an Adrienne Barbeau-bot. Hmm, methinks I've been watching too much telly....
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline  
Old 05-20-06, 04:38 AM
  #36  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karldar
Stupid leukemia in the blood and stuff!

While I don't think it's "lazy," I've decided that it's too easy a way out(for me). I might feel differently if I had a life-threatening condition, but I've been depressed/suicidal before and I'm glad I was able to put that stuff behind me. I figure I might as well try to stick around as long as possible...or at least until they can make cyberbrains and transfer my consciousness into an Adrienne Barbeau-bot. Hmm, methinks I've been watching too much telly....

I've been through the depression & suicide thing before and survived only stronger for it. Honestly, I tell you this is a completely different feeling. Being open to the field of all possibilities, even those that are less han conventional is so empowering when my power has been taken away by this illness.

I still haven't got the blood test results yet sowe don't even know the flavor of Leukemia we're dealing with. No decissions yet, just keeping things open.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-20-06, 12:02 PM
  #37  
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy
 
CycleMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,054

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
I've been through the depression & suicide thing before and survived only stronger for it. Honestly, I tell you this is a completely different feeling. Being open to the field of all possibilities, even those that are less han conventional is so empowering when my power has been taken away by this illness.

I still haven't got the blood test results yet sowe don't even know the flavor of Leukemia we're dealing with. No decissions yet, just keeping things open.
I happen to think that you are taking a very practical and calm approach to this whole thing....Good for You!
__________________
Where am I going?......

....and why am I in this handbasket?
CycleMagic is offline  
Old 05-20-06, 01:26 PM
  #38  
my58vw
Meow!
 
my58vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 6,025

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stacey, hang in there...

we both have been through alot in our lives, cancer, GID, etc... and having been where you are (cancer), I know it will be hard and there will be suicidal thoughts along the way...

You are not that old, and your body will recover...just get some rest, and get your opinions...

Remember lance almost died from testicular... at least we don't have to worry about that one , but for us the fight was be harder... just do your best.


Remember suicide is final, there is no second chances... and remember... you have someone who loves you

Mandy
__________________
Just your average club rider... :)
my58vw is offline  
Old 05-22-06, 06:23 PM
  #39  
FXjohn
Senior Member
 
FXjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 12,953
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bump...any news on your test results, Stacey?
__________________
Comedian Bill Hicks once said, "Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski, and you never see an unhappy person riding a jet ski."
FXjohn is offline  
Old 05-22-06, 07:13 PM
  #40  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, The Dr.s office said it was a specalized test and had to go to an outside lab. Probably be a week and a half for the results. A week was up Friday.

Good thing I'm not dying
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-22-06, 09:16 PM
  #41  
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Posts: 8,738

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doctor: Stacey, you have 6 months to live.
Stacey: 6 months from now or 6 months from when the tests were taken a month ago?
Doctor: uhhh...

I know Dr. Kevorkian specializes in "assisted deaths" to allow people to die with dignity. Personally, I think a dignified death would be to strap some dynamite to yourself and jump on Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. But that's just me. Hope you get good news from the doc Stacey!
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 04:26 AM
  #42  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Ewww, what a mess. The pulp of three bodies <shiver>

I want to leave a beautiful corpse when I go.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 07:00 AM
  #43  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,214

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
No, The Dr.s office said it was a specalized test and had to go to an outside lab. Probably be a week and a half for the results. A week was up Friday.

Good thing I'm not dying
Given your situation, I sure hope they don't do this to you, but a few years ago, my wife had some tests done to tell whether she had a serious (but not life-threatening illness). They told her that they'd have the results in 3 days. After a week of waiting, we got impatient, and called the doctor's office. We asked them about the test results, and were non-chalantly told "oh. The tests came back a few days ago. They were negative". Apparently this is standard practice at a number of clinics. Thanks for letting us worry for a few extra days guys.

I'm praying you hear soon - and with encouraging news.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 07:43 AM
  #44  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mmmm jummmping on Britneyt Spears

Best of luck Stacey
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 07:44 AM
  #45  
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Posts: 4,286

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Given your situation, I sure hope they don't do this to you, but a few years ago, my wife had some tests done to tell whether she had a serious (but not life-threatening illness). They told her that they'd have the results in 3 days. After a week of waiting, we got impatient, and called the doctor's office. We asked them about the test results, and were non-chalantly told "oh. The tests came back a few days ago. They were negative". Apparently this is standard practice at a number of clinics. Thanks for letting us worry for a few extra days guys.

I'm praying you hear soon - and with encouraging news.
I think I would probably be talking to a lawyer and sueing for emotional distress and all that stuff
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 07:46 AM
  #46  
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is so tough, i can only imagine, my thoughts are with you
blonduathlongrl is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 07:56 AM
  #47  
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
Thread Starter
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the upside, I've using IP-6 w/ Inositol, a natural cancer prevention/fighting supplement for about 3 weeks now and after having two weeks of really feeling like *****, the past two days I've felt remarkably good. I can even draw a deep breath without my spleen protesting. This stuff is amazing. I hope it a lasting thing and not just a freak revelling.
__________________
Stacey is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 08:10 AM
  #48  
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))
 
Serendipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
Posts: 5,589

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe in yourself, and you can do anything.

(I know it sounds like a bad Hallmark card, but mind over matter does work)
Serendipper is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 09:19 AM
  #49  
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Posts: 8,738

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey


Ewww, what a mess. The pulp of three bodies <shiver>

I want to leave a beautiful corpse when I go.
Sacrifices must be made Stacey. I'm willing to sacrifice your beautiful corpse if it'll rid the world of two people that shouldn't ever be allowed to reproduce or make albums or be allowed to interact w/ the public. Don't worry, we'll erect an abstract art statue of you next to the Rocky statue in Philly. It'll be a statue of you kicking him in the 'nads.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline  
Old 05-23-06, 09:29 AM
  #50  
bluebottle1
Kicked out of the Webelos
 
bluebottle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Two words: Second Opinion. They diagnosed my sister with Leukemia, then it turned out that wasn't what was wrong at all (I can't remember what she actually had), cured whatever it was and she's been fine for years.

Ditto, chipcom. Get a second opinion and be sure they are using a different lab.

Good luck, stacey. Stay strong.
__________________
______________________________________________

Kicked out of the Webelos.
bluebottle1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.