Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hi all.. Got Calculus? :beer:

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hi all.. Got Calculus? :beer:

Old 07-23-07, 03:33 PM
  #1  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all.. Got Calculus? :beer:

Okay two problems..


first one;


evaluate the limit: lim as x -> 9 for (1/x - 1/9) / (x - 9)


evaluate the limit: lim as x -> 9 for (9 - x) / (3 - {sqr root of x} )



btw, I already know the answer(s) of course.. I just want to see if you're anywhere near as smart as I.





Thankyou much.
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 03:35 PM
  #2  
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Posts: 3,925

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homework, I'm guessin.
__________________
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 03:38 PM
  #3  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,845
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by red house View Post
Okay two problems..


first one;


evaluate the limit: lim as x -> 9 for (1/x - 1/9) / (x - 9)


evaluate the limit: lim as x -> 9 for (9 - x) / (3 - {sqr root of x} )



btw, I already know the answer(s) of course.. I just want to see if you're anywhere near as smart as I.





Thankyou much.
Uh huh yeah right. Cheater. Plllllllllllllttt!! (that was a raspberry)
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 03:38 PM
  #4  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Homework, I'm guessin.
You guessed right! .. ANy chance you could guess right the solutions as well -? . . Man, I don't know how to do that kind of algebra. I was guessing 0, 1, -1, 3, -3, 1/9, -1/9 and DNE.. and I only have three guesses left for the first one, and four guesses left for the second problem for this on-line homework thing. I need a life line.
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 03:39 PM
  #5  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Uh huh yeah right. Cheater. Plllllllllllllttt!! (that was a raspberry)



No, not at all.. My professor didn't say I couldn't make use of foo. He never said that.
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:00 PM
  #6  
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 254

Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
polara426sh is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:21 PM
  #7  
markhr
POWERCRANK addict
 
markhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Acton, West London, UK
Posts: 3,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd ask my first class honors math brother but he's busy creating mobile phone stuff for his company
__________________
shameless POWERCRANK plug
Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
markhr is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:21 PM
  #8  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polara426sh View Post


Come on ppl, I only have until 10pm EST to submit the answers, and the computer lab closes at 9. I know most of you are computer geeks who could do this in your sleep.. or maybe you can't? Maybe these problems are beyond the intellect of even the most math proficient foogeek. Maybe I came to the wrong place. Maybe..
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:40 PM
  #9  
markhr
POWERCRANK addict
 
markhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Acton, West London, UK
Posts: 3,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red house View Post
Come on ppl, I only have until 10pm EST to submit the answers, and the computer lab closes at 9. I know most of you are computer geeks who could do this in your sleep.. or maybe you can't? Maybe these problems are beyond the intellect of even the most math proficient foogeek. Maybe I came to the wrong place. Maybe..
instead of offering it up as a challenge why not offer goods/services instead?

free lawn mowing every second sunday
free bike chain cleaning every weekend
free personal queue place holder for 6 months
positive feedback for life on e-bay
free personal grocery shopping every second monday night
free beer and dogs delivery service at any major/minor/pro game so they don't have to leave their seats
__________________
shameless POWERCRANK plug
Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
markhr is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:41 PM
  #10  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markhr View Post
instead of offering it up as a challenge why not offer goods/services instead?

free lawn mowing every second sunday
free bike chain cleaning every weekend
free personal queue place holder for 6 months
positive feedback for life on e-bay
free personal grocery shopping every second monday night
free beer and dogs delivery service at any major/minor/pro game so they don't have to leave their seats

You got it. Really.
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:42 PM
  #11  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pls, don't toy with me..
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:44 PM
  #12  
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Posts: 3,925

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could spend your time more constructively trying to read the book and figure it out, or google search tutorials rather than wasting time in here trying to get us to do it for you.
__________________
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:47 PM
  #13  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
You could spend your time more constructively trying to read the book and figure it out, or google search tutorials rather than wasting time in here trying to get us to do it for you.

It's only 'wasting time' - if you guys don't do it. So PLS, stop wasting my time! (I don't have that much more time for you to waste). thanks..
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:49 PM
  #14  
JoeMetal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 388

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't get it by 7:30, I'll think about giving you the answers. It'd be nice if you tried to work through it.

Here's a couple hints: for the first one, find a common denominator in the numerator (that sounds complicated). I'll be willing to bet you'll get something to cancel with the 9-x on the bottom

as for the second one, does thinking of a problem like finding the lim as x goes to 9 for (9-x^2)/(3-x) help?
JoeMetal is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:56 PM
  #15  
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,643

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polara426sh View Post
Gah! That resembles the <curious Vega look> !

*thunk*
VegaVixen is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 04:58 PM
  #16  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMetal View Post
If you don't get it by 7:30, I'll think about giving you the answers. It'd be nice if you tried to work through it.

Here's a couple hints: for the first one, find a common denominator in the numerator (that sounds complicated). I'll be willing to bet you'll get something to cancel with the 9-x on the bottom

as for the second one, does thinking of a problem like finding the lim as x goes to 9 for (9-x^2)/(3-x) help?

Thankyou JoeMetal.. I was starting to lose faith in foo. Btw, what do you think about all these other worthless spectators? Are they 'worthless', or what?
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:00 PM
  #17  
JoeMetal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 388

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you at least try to work for it? I'm not just going to give out answers for free.
JoeMetal is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:02 PM
  #18  
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was still in high school, I could probably help you out, but I'm lost touch with the math gods...
Jerseysbest is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:03 PM
  #19  
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,643

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red house View Post
Thankyou JoeMetal.. I was starting to lose faith in foo. Btw, what do you think about all these other worthless spectators? Are they 'worthless', or what?
Worthless? Baybuh, you lied to us in the OP!
VegaVixen is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:08 PM
  #20  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
Worthless? Baybuh, you lied to us in the OP!

No, I never lie.. Sometimes I might exaggerate. Sometimes I may elude to something which isn't 'entirely' the actual truth. But you'll never catch me in a lie.
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:22 PM
  #21  
polara426sh
Displaced Southerner
 
polara426sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Webster, NY
Posts: 254

Bikes: 1967 Peugeot UO-8, 1984 Torpado Beta, 1985 Trek 300, 1989 Dave Moulton Fuso FRX, '90s Hardrock x2, '90s Norco Pinnacle, Focus MB-350 IRO SSFGGB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by red house View Post
Okay two problems..


stuff I don't know

btw, I already know the answer(s) of course.. I just want to see if you're anywhere near as smart as I.





Thankyou much.
You don't know the answer, so isn't that a lie?
polara426sh is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:26 PM
  #22  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,845
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 34 Posts
A liar and a cheater. Yuckos. I'm disappointed in you, Redhouse.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:27 PM
  #23  
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Posts: 5,543

Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
A liar and a cheater. Yuckos. I'm disappointed in you, Redhouse.



How is that possible -?
red house is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:29 PM
  #24  
JoeMetal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 388

Bikes: Trek 2.3 w/ full SRAM Red; Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show me some work, please.
JoeMetal is offline  
Old 07-23-07, 05:37 PM
  #25  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,845
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMetal View Post
Show me some work, please.
^^^Tough teacher!!
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.