Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Adding that new air filter..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/325217-adding-new-air-filter.html)

phantomcow2 07-25-07 04:05 PM

Adding that new air filter.....
 
I added an AEM short ram air intake system to my 1993 honda accord, as some of you who participated in the "any modifications to increase fuel economy?" thread may recall.

Last time I averaged out to 35.625 miles per gallon. 285 miles on 8 gallons.

Well today I filled up at the same gas station, using the same pump to eliminate variables (I rely on when the gas pump stops flowing to give me a fuel consumption #). 103.5 miles at 2.6 gallons.
That's 39.8 miles per gallon! My normal commute did not change, it's still 3 miles of highway, and 7.5 of normal secondary highway with 5 traffic lights in all.
It's possible that the previous air filter was pretty dirty though, and so replacing it with a stock probably would have increased fuel economy as well, though I doubt as much as this one.

Stacey 07-25-07 04:07 PM

It's possible. Could you see light thru it?

phantomcow2 07-25-07 04:11 PM

No

Stacey 07-25-07 04:20 PM

Then it was restricting. The way to check would be to get an OE filter and try that.

phantomcow2 07-25-07 07:22 PM

Well upon further inspection, I could see through it. It's one of those ones that's paper folded accordion style. I can see light shining through at the valley of hte fold.

jsharr 07-25-07 07:29 PM

Hate to say this, but many times when a driver is bent on saving fuel, driving styles change. Not accelerating as hard. Backing of a few mph on the highway, these things all add up. It is phsycological, you want to save fuel, so you drive "gentler".

JF1 07-25-07 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by jsharr (Post 4931759)
Hate to say this, but many times when a driver is bent on saving fuel, driving styles change. Not accelerating as hard. Backing of a few mph on the highway, these things all add up. It is phsycological, you want to save fuel, so you drive "gentler".

Exactly. Keep in mind that your system isn't very scientific either.
Don't expect too much from a simple filter.

phantomcow2 07-25-07 08:12 PM

Well,
My driving has changed, but definitely not toward a slowing trend. This thing sounds great above 3000rpm. It makes the engine have a nicer roaring type sound, so I have been accelerating a little harder while I get to cruising speed so I can hear it :). I travel 65 on the highway. The only thing that has really changed is that I have been using rev matching and engine braking a lot more. Also, I've been running the engine a little faster when it's still cold, so that my O2 sensor gets to temp as soon as possible. The engine and all gets to normal temp is under 2 minutes now, and I shift to a higher gear. Not sure what the effect of each component of change is.

iamlucky13 07-25-07 09:30 PM

How did you meter the 2.6 gallons? Just by a "full tank?"

I've had full tanks vary by as much as two gallons, depending how foamy the gas is on a particular day and how careful I feel like being.

Get a few tanks through it, then take the average over all of them and compare to before. That will average out the random filling error.

phantomcow2 07-26-07 05:12 AM

Well like I said, I went to the same gas station using hte same pump. When I turn it on and just squeeze the handle, it will eventually stop. I don't try to squeeze it that last bit to get it to an even # of gallons, or make it 20.00 instead of 19.84. I pay with my check card so it doesn't matter. Temperature is a thought though. Yesterday it was probably 85 when I filled up. It would have been around 6:00 PM (on my way home from work). Last time I did it was at teh same time, but I am not sure about the temperature. I just remember it was sunny and not cold. I'll drive it a bit and fill up at the end of the week and see how my #'s compare.

Ziemas 07-26-07 05:17 AM


Originally Posted by jsharr (Post 4931759)
Hate to say this, but many times when a driver is bent on saving fuel, driving styles change. Not accelerating as hard. Backing of a few mph on the highway, these things all add up. It is phsycological, you want to save fuel, so you drive "gentler".

+1

That's the first thing I thought of.

Falkon 07-26-07 06:50 AM


Originally Posted by phantomcow2 (Post 4932120)
Well,
My driving has changed, but definitely not toward a slowing trend. This thing sounds great above 3000rpm. It makes the engine have a nicer roaring type sound, so I have been accelerating a little harder while I get to cruising speed so I can hear it :). I travel 65 on the highway. The only thing that has really changed is that I have been using rev matching and engine braking a lot more. Also, I've been running the engine a little faster when it's still cold, so that my O2 sensor gets to temp as soon as possible. The engine and all gets to normal temp is under 2 minutes now, and I shift to a higher gear. Not sure what the effect of each component of change is.

Remember this, you car is going to run rich before the O2 sensor heats up and the thermostat kicks.

dragracer 07-26-07 07:36 AM

Not saying you are not being truthful or anything, but I'm a little skeptical of your numbers too. Those are pretty high numbers for an Accord. My '01 Accord normally gets 31ish but has gotten as high as 34. Nowhere close to 39 though.

Don't think 2.6 gallons is anywhere close to enough to give an accurate MPG number. You need to run your tank close to empty and then completely fill it. Do that a half dozen times, check your mileage, then average all those. That still won't be perfect, but should be a tad more accurate than you are gonna get checking it with just a couple of gallons. :)

alanbikehouston 07-26-07 07:42 AM

Measuring average fuel consumption is rather difficult. I recently made a 500 mile trip in one day. I drove east 250 miles, driving a steady 70 mph. Filled up, and measured 22 mph. Turned around, and drove west 250 miles, driving a steady 70 mph. Filled up, and measured 24 mph.

Why the difference? Might have been the wind direction, wind velocity, air temperatures...any number of factors. But, it wasn't the air filter, because all the was added to the car was gas.

By the way, the EPA says the vehicle I was driving gets 28 mpg on the highway. I suspect I COULD get 28 mpg...if I was driving 50 mph instead of 70 mph.

And, it DID get great mileage here and there. The vehicle has a gauge that tells you EXACTLY what your gas mileage is at any given moment. Going down steep hills, I was getting 35 mpg, even going 70 mph.

crdean1 07-26-07 08:40 AM

+1 on changing the filter. I put a K&N Air filter in my Litespeed, and I notice a huge difference. Also, it's cleanable, so I won't have to change it for a long time.

Air 07-26-07 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by dragracer (Post 4934598)
Don't think 2.6 gallons is anywhere close to enough to give an accurate MPG number. You need to run your tank close to empty and then completely fill it. Do that a half dozen times, check your mileage, then average all those. That still won't be perfect, but should be a tad more accurate than you are gonna get checking it with just a couple of gallons. :)

This is what I was going to say as well.

bhtooefr 07-26-07 08:47 AM

alanbikehouston: However, those things aren't always that accurate...

I'd do a three-full-tank average before giving results as final.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.