Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-07, 06:26 AM   #1
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
catatonic's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would one deal with california traffic courts remotely?

Yeah I discovered I had an unpaid rolling violation, and want to get it cleared. Since it's been over a year past-due I am under hte assumption traffic court is required.

...has anyone else dealt with this, and what's the options here?

By the way, this is in santa clara county. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of flights I have to take over there by as much as possible.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 07:06 AM   #2
Luwin1026's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call the court and see if you can request a Trial by Written Declaration - it basically allows you to provide a statement of facts and the officer has a specified amount of time after you submit yours to provide his/her statement. If they fail to do so, your citation is dismissed. But in the event that you are found guilty through this, you can request a Trial De Novo, which is basically a retrial in which you appear in court. It's worth a shot, because it allows you to not have to appear in court and can do things via paperwork/forms. You have to submit a non-guilty plea first and pay the fine first - if you win, the bail amount will be refunded to you.

A couple of catches here specifically, though - you mentioned that you had "discovered" that you had an unpaid violation - did you simply forget about it? And as it is a year past due, I'm not sure what the possibilities/protocols are. I would try to give the court a call and speak with someone to advise you on what your options are, and ask if Trial by Written Declaration is an option for you in this case. Best of luck.
Luwin1026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.

  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.