Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Some women...

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Some women...

Old 06-30-08, 08:44 PM
  #1  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some women...

One of my girlfriend's friends called me earlier today for like half an hour going on about how she's confused with her life because she doesn't know what to do with her relationships. There's this guy she used to date a few years back that she constantly flirts with "innocently" (as she says). Lately she's been seeing 1 guy and trying to see another guy.

So she tells me that she's really confused because she doesn't know who to "pick from" and she doesn't know what kind of signals she's getting from her ex because she thinks supposedly that they're "just friends" but he keeps flirting with her (i wonder why...).

Basically, it seems like she's stringing guys along so she can figure out what she should do with her life. I was like, "dude, the guy's a human being, you gotta let him move on instead of stringing him along for years making him think there's a chance."

It took a lot of patience to not say "there's a reason why your other ex dumped your sorry ass and the other guy you saw keeps ignoring you."

Good god... sorry, had to get that off my chest and my gf's not home tonight for me to whine to her.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:46 PM
  #2  
SwimBike
Senior Member
 
SwimBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pretty much Canada, NY
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats wrong with playing the field?
SwimBike is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:50 PM
  #3  
artifice
superArti
 
artifice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Minnersoter
Posts: 1,056

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be the first to admit most of us are crazy, and that sucks.
but... you can't live without us


... actually, I think your tale is pretty classic of both men & women playing the field. The difference with a woman whining about it is she's just looking for someone to listen, whereas a dude is probably looking for a solution.

So, put the phone on speaker, mute it... let her ramble, and go about your routine.
__________________
i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.
artifice is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:51 PM
  #4  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well technically nothing. Cept I know she probably isn't interested in him and only wants him around as a back up. The guy's a really nice guy and it sucks that he falls for her.

She told me that they were at a party and she told him she didn't like that he was flirting with one of her friends, which I thought maybe was because her friend had a problem. Apparently she told me that it was because she didn't want him to have anyone right now so she could keep him on the back burner.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:52 PM
  #5  
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka
 
StupidlyBrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 1,167

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
One of my girlfriend's friends called me earlier today <SNIP>
You are wise beyond your years to avoid this. You think she called for advice? Noooo, she called to vent.
StupidlyBrave is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:53 PM
  #6  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
I'll be the first to admit most of us are crazy, and that sucks.
but... you can't live without us
Yes I can, without you crazy ones anyway.

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
So, put the phone on speaker, mute it... let her ramble, and go about your routine.
Absolutely, thank god she wasn't bright enough to figure out that I "uh-huh"'ed away half the conversation and finished up an ECO approval.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 08:53 PM
  #7  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
You are wise beyond your years to avoid this. You think she called for advice? Noooo, she called to vent.
Technically that's why I posted here too, to vent.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:01 PM
  #8  
SwimBike
Senior Member
 
SwimBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pretty much Canada, NY
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
The difference with a woman whining about it is she's just looking for someone to listen, whereas a dude is probably looking for a solution.
it is actually against man code for men to whine. Either way, I still see nothing wrong with playing the field. That is part of this crazy game anyways. Date and have fun. Once you get serious with someone that is a different story but up until that point...have fun.


Still sucks she called to "vent" to you. I assume she didnt call to "vent" and bring over coors? Cause that would be cool.
SwimBike is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:03 PM
  #9  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimBike View Post
I assume she didnt call to "vent" and bring over coors? Cause that would be cool.
Nah, she won't do half the things my gf does.
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:04 PM
  #10  
SwimBike
Senior Member
 
SwimBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pretty much Canada, NY
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
Nah, she won't do half the things my gf does.
your a lucky man
SwimBike is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:11 PM
  #11  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah I know... I haven't seen anything in an adult video that she wouldn't do with me, plus she approves the most ridiculous bike purchases evar. I nearly fell off my chair last month when, after buying two new commuters and a full suspension mtb, she approved a TT bike...
slvoid is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:17 PM
  #12  
SwimBike
Senior Member
 
SwimBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pretty much Canada, NY
Posts: 498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow....any sisters?
SwimBike is offline  
Old 06-30-08, 09:22 PM
  #13  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All married with kids... lots and lots of kids...
slvoid is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 07:57 AM
  #14  
aprilm
Bring May Flowers
 
aprilm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Soon to be South Carolina!
Posts: 961

Bikes: '10 Kuota Kebel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
One of my girlfriend's friends called me earlier today for like half an hour going on about how she's confused with her life because she doesn't know what to do with her relationships.
That's all?!? Half an hour in girl-speak is not that long when it comes to relationship talk. I don't particularly like going on and on about my own relationships, but I have a friend that will yak into my ear for easily an hour or longer.
aprilm is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 08:14 AM
  #15  
kamalster
Senior Member
 
kamalster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 281

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
Well technically nothing. Cept I know she probably isn't interested in him and only wants him around as a back up. The guy's a really nice guy and it sucks that he falls for her.

She told me that they were at a party and she told him she didn't like that he was flirting with one of her friends, which I thought maybe was because her friend had a problem. Apparently she told me that it was because she didn't want him to have anyone right now so she could keep him on the back burner.
She out-and-out said that and you didn't rip her a new one? Playing the field is one thing, but this is just manipulative and selfish.
kamalster is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 08:16 AM
  #16  
kamalster
Senior Member
 
kamalster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 281

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
Yeah I know... I haven't seen anything in an adult video that she wouldn't do with me, plus she approves the most ridiculous bike purchases evar. I nearly fell off my chair last month when, after buying two new commuters and a full suspension mtb, she approved a TT bike...
Wait til she becomes a wife. "No bikes for you!"
kamalster is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 08:20 AM
  #17  
naujcdl
que deporte!
 
naujcdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Elk Grove Village
Posts: 104

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi C2C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As some of you said, you must listen to her, just let her sing her songs, blah blah bleh bleh blih blih bloh bloh bluh bluh and when she is done just say, i understand your point, i know, DON'T differ unless she asks you to, otherwise just listen.

As far as her saying she doesn't knwo what to do, ah, how old is this chica? If she don't know what she wants tell her to take flight to chicago, i'll make up her mind in one day...ahem...

Anyways just listen to her and if she asks you for opinions on that tell her that all people are equal and if she can't get her boobies pointed one way then she needs to not date and see anyone and clear out her mind and knwo what she wants...heck, women usually don't, on the contrary we men know, muahahahahahahahaha
naujcdl is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 08:23 AM
  #18  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
Yeah I know... I haven't seen anything in an adult video that she wouldn't do with me, plus she approves the most ridiculous bike purchases evar. I nearly fell off my chair last month when, after buying two new commuters and a full suspension mtb, she approved a TT bike...
When is the next time you are going out of town by yourself?
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 09:51 AM
  #19  
Spreggy
King of the Plukers
 
Spreggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On the bus.
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
The difference with a woman whining about it is she's just looking for someone to listen, whereas a dude is probably looking for a solution.

.
Now there's a refreshingly honest answer!
Spreggy is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 11:29 AM
  #20  
black_box 
Fax Transport Specialist
 
black_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chicago burbs
Posts: 971

Bikes: '17 giant propel, '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
The difference with a woman whining about it is she's just looking for someone to listen, whereas a dude is probably looking for a solution.
this is so true. my last gf got mad at me because i always tried to solve her problems instead of just feeling sorry for her. "Don't you know what it means to commiserate?" yeah, thats when you try to make me feel as bad as you do...
black_box is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 11:49 AM
  #21  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7063 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
<snip>
this is so true. my last gf got mad at me because i always tried to solve her problems instead of just feeling sorry for her. "Don't you know what it means to commiserate?" yeah, thats when you try to make me feel as bad as you do...
</snip>

At the end of a tale of woe from someone looking for a shoulder to cry on, apparently "Wow, that sucks." is also not the correct answer. Ever. Especially after serial "uh-huhs." Although it usually gets that person to STFU. Good if it's a call like OP posted, bad if person in question happens to be your partner at the time...

I think the chicky is trouble and was sounding OP out in a "playing the field" kind of way. Stay far away from current hot GFs friends...
mconlonx is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 12:08 PM
  #22  
lodi781
was kung-fu fighting
 
lodi781's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 72

Bikes: '00 schwinn moab disk/06 specialized stumpy fsr expert, 06 look565

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=artifice;6977190]I'll be the first to admit most of us are crazy, and that sucks.
but... you can't live without us



I think that statement can go both ways. Even with invitro, women still need mens sperm. As for the raising the kids part, we can do fine in that department as well. I see where your coming from, but more and more men are getting tired of hearing this, and are waiting longer to meet someone without the " your here for sperm and cash" stigma that has now graced tv ads and shows.
lodi781 is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 01:53 PM
  #23  
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart
 
Olebiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,299

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
this is so true. my last gf got mad at me because i always tried to solve her problems instead of just feeling sorry for her. "Don't you know what it means to commiserate?" yeah, thats when you try to make me feel as bad as you do...
What is it that makes women think that is acceptable behavior? My wife used to come home and gripe for an hour about her job. If I ever suggested ways to make the situation better she would tell me that I was being a jerk by trying to problem solve. I thought she was being a jerk for making an hour of my day miserable for no reason.

I was on my way to the airport this afternoon listening to a show on NPR and here was some Croc-wearing fruitcake talking about how horrible it is that men don't just sit and take this abuse from women.

I've been married to the same lady for 37 years and I have learned that, as much as I hate it, sometimes I just have to let her vent without offering any comments or suggestions. She, on the other hand, has learned to read my body language and recognize when I am about to open up a family-sized can of STFU.
__________________
Wag more, bark less
Olebiker is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 05:18 PM
  #24  
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
Thread Starter
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,762

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kamalster View Post
She out-and-out said that and you didn't rip her a new one? Playing the field is one thing, but this is just manipulative and selfish.
Believe me, I wanted to...
slvoid is offline  
Old 07-01-08, 08:06 PM
  #25  
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the first question to be asked here is why is she talking about this to you of all people?

Second, women who play these sorts of games are truly miserable creatures because their relationships are dominated by their insecurities. They always end up stuck with milquetoasts that they despise. Why? Because an insecure woman may think that she is interested in finding true love, but what she really desires is to avoid risk. This is accomplished by stringing along a man who is easily controlled and manipulated while pining for the sort of man that she does not ultimately have the courage to engage.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.