Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Roadies and Watches (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/441736-roadies-watches.html)

GiantOCRC3 01-02-13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 15111913)
You hate watches and the people who wear them. Admit it.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Nachoman 01-02-13 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTDub (Post 15110544)
Collecting watches is one thing. Riding with a boat anchor on one's wrist is just short of ridiculous in a world where people weigh their skewers. A big-ass watch on a bike is one step from a pinky ring.

Define "big-ass".

LowCel 01-03-13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 15112475)
Define "big-ass".

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...lavorflave.jpg

RT 01-03-13 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 15112475)
Define "big-ass".

98.7% of the watches in this thread.

tagaproject6 01-03-13 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachoman (Post 15112475)
Define "big-ass".

The 41.

daz-o-matic 01-03-13 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crappymonkey (Post 15107554)
Awesome watch, you'll love it. I picked one up on a watch forum a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I get more people noticing the OM than any other watch in my collection. Mine came with the original rubber strap and Watchadoo bracelet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...umeShots-4.jpg

OM on an Orange amp... I see what you did there :D

LowCel 01-04-13 04:25 AM

I read this on another forum and I liked it.

Quote:

If we were truly honest with ourselves, we'd all admit that most if not all watches are only occasionally useful when our cell phones are synced up with satellites, and therefore more of an indulgence than a necessity. A $10 Timex offers more bang for the dollar than anything else discussed on this forum. That's not the point, though. We're here because we like watches, the way some guys like muscle cars or model trains. No matter if you think $1000 is affordable or $100, a watch takes up less room than that old Camaro in the garage, and we're not down in the basement blowing a whistle, shouting "all aboard" and wearing a silly hat.

neospazzy 01-04-13 04:52 AM

Here is mine ...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5231/img5703es.jpg

I don't wear it during my rides because it weighs more than my bike ... ;)

LowCel 01-04-13 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neospazzy (Post 15117748)
Here is mine ...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5231/img5703es.jpg

I don't wear it during my rides because it weighs more than my bike ... ;)

Very nice. I've been looking at those, very nice watches.

sced 01-04-13 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCel (Post 15117725)
I read this on another forum and I liked it.

"we're not down in the basement blowing a whistle, shouting "all aboard" and wearing a silly hat."

The seriousness of the blather is the same, but hey, enjoy yourself.

RT 01-04-13 07:05 AM

So do you collectors also watch the shopping channels, like Invicta and Shop NBC and World of Watches? I collect good looking cheap watches (Lorus, Armitron, Timex, Relic), and watch those shows for entertainment only. The emcees are hilarious as there's only so much you can say about a watch with the same features, just a different size or color.

LowCel 01-04-13 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTDub (Post 15117905)
So do you collectors also watch the shopping channels, like Invicta and Shop NBC and World of Watches? I collect good looking cheap watches (Lorus, Armitron, Timex, Relic), and watch those shows for entertainment only. The emcees are hilarious as there's only so much you can say about a watch with the same features, just a different size or color.

There is no way I would ever buy an Invicta after reading about people's experience with their customer service. But to answer your question, I never have. Can't really call my self a collector though.

merlinextraligh 01-04-13 07:47 AM

My wife bought me a watch winder for Christmas. Problem is that it's for 2 watches. I only have one mechanical watch.

I think I'll have to buy another for the second spot. I'm sure she won't object, given that buying the 2 watch winder must have been intended as an invitation to do so!

LowCel 01-04-13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh (Post 15118002)
My wife bought me a watch winder for Christmas. Problem is that it's for 2 watches. I only have one mechanical watch.

I think I'll have to buy another for the second spot. I'm sure she won't object, given that buying the 2 watch winder must have been intended as an invitation to do so!

Makes sense to me. Why do you think I bought a triple bike rack for my car???

pgjackson 01-04-13 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCel (Post 15117991)
There is no way I would ever buy an Invicta after reading about people's experience with their customer service. But to answer your question, I never have. Can't really call my self a collector though.

I have never needed to use customer service regarding a watch. Kind of funny to me these guys who spend a gazillion dollars on fancy watches then have to send them in for regular professional servicing. I have an old Casio G-Shock that has never failed and is still running on the original batteries after about 7 years of abuse.

RT 01-04-13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCel (Post 15117991)
There is no way I would ever buy an Invicta after reading about people's experience with their customer service. But to answer your question, I never have. Can't really call my self a collector though.

If you have more than five watches, you are a collector in my book. You should really look for World of Watches when it is on TV. For as dull as it could possibly be, it is quite entertaining to watch.

FWIW, that book I wrote, no one reads it.

BarracksSi 01-04-13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowCel (Post 15115893)

Looks like a Movado (or at least a Faux-vado). :p

pgjackson 01-04-13 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTDub (Post 15117905)
So do you collectors also watch the shopping channels, like Invicta and Shop NBC and World of Watches? I collect good looking cheap watches (Lorus, Armitron, Timex, Relic), and watch those shows for entertainment only. The emcees are hilarious as there's only so much you can say about a watch with the same features, just a different size or color.

I also enjoy cheap watches. I am really digging Stuhrling. Have two so far. Check them out on Overstock. Some are pretty obnoxious looking, but they also have a lot of very beautiful, classic designs.

Here are my two Stuhrling watches. The automatic was about $100 and the white one was $50.

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps475d7e82.jpg http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/IMG_1358.jpg

RT 01-04-13 11:14 AM

That top one looks like something my great-grandfather would have worn. Classic.

SteveFromNY 01-04-13 11:25 AM

dropped by the local IWC boutique and saw this!

sorry for the bad phone pic.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...psc15a6e48.jpg

SteveFromNY 01-04-13 11:29 AM

here are my two divers together, along with some of my g shocks.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...lclown/4-3.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...wn/photo-2.jpg

st3venb 01-04-13 11:53 AM

I don't wear a watch on my rides usually... but I am an avid collector... looking at picking this bad boy up sometime soon..

nov 2003 production model Marathon Navigator. :D

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps80605206.jpg

RT 01-04-13 12:07 PM

The go-to Armitron. Ten years old, only one battery change (both of them). It is a rare exception to the Big-Ass Watch Rule - it actually serves a purpose other than decoration.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C...104_110020.jpg

merlinextraligh 01-04-13 04:11 PM

My collection:

1990 Rolex date just

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...wart/rolex.jpg

Seiko Moonphase watch from the mid 80's

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...wart/seiko.jpg

Tissot T Race I got this summer

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...wart/trace.jpg

In the new winder

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...t/inwinder.jpg

Also have a Casio Pathfinder with altimeter, compass, tide, multiple time zones, etc. But the auxillary functions don't work for crap, and I quit wearing it, not sure where it is.

LowCel 01-04-13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 15118798)
I have never needed to use customer service regarding a watch. Kind of funny to me these guys who spend a gazillion dollars on fancy watches then have to send them in for regular professional servicing. I have an old Casio G-Shock that has never failed and is still running on the original batteries after about 7 years of abuse.

Do you know that if you do not send an Invicta back to the company for battery changes the warranty is void? It takes two or three months for them to do the battery change.

If you get board, check this thread out.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 AM.