Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Roadies and Watches (https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/441736-roadies-watches.html)

jbchybridrider 12-20-15 09:08 AM

Awesome!

https://youtu.be/lnlsRp0Qlbo

ravenmore 12-20-15 08:39 PM


Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 18399159)
It's just not a real popular watch. Very small by today's standards. I have one, but don't wear it any more. Kind of a pain to have to keep adjusting the day and date (no I don't have a watch winder). If they made it in a 40-44mm I think it would sell better.

This. It's funny how big men's watches have become. Not too long ago a 40mm case was considered to be rather big. I have some massive Invicta's that I don't wear much, but my 40mm Invicta Pro Diver is one of my favorite watches to wear. I think it has the same movement as the Seiko 5's.

I've stumbled across Vostok recently and kind of want to pull the trigger on a Vostok Amphibian.

ravenmore 12-20-15 08:40 PM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18394929)
It's the perspective - it's not as large as it looks. Approximately 40mm case.

Anyway...

DD

I don't know how on earth that could be a 40mm case unless you are a very very small person.

Drillium Dude 12-20-15 09:42 PM


Originally Posted by ravenmore (Post 18403893)
I don't know how on earth that could be a 40mm case unless you are a very very small person.

Proof is in the pudding: Tudor Big Block Chronograph for $4,172 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Perspective can deceive :)

DD

pgjackson 12-21-15 08:08 AM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18404007)
Proof is in the pudding: Tudor Big Block Chronograph for $4,172 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Perspective can deceive :)

DD

Holy crap, you wear a $4,000 watch while riding?

Drillium Dude 12-21-15 10:44 AM


Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 18404470)
Holy crap, you wear a $4,000 watch while riding?

It may be worth that now, but it was half that in 1994.

Anyway, why not? High-end mechanical watches are designed to stand a good amount of shock. I've never, ever had a problem with any of my mechanical watches going south while riding. And Rolex's sport models can take a lot of punishment.

DD

pgjackson 12-21-15 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18404851)
It may be worth that now, but it was half that in 1994.

Anyway, why not? High-end mechanical watches are designed to stand a good amount of shock. I've never, ever had a problem with any of my mechanical watches going south while riding. And Rolex's sport models can take a lot of punishment.

DD

I'd be more concerned about taking a tumble and grinding that beautiful watch on the pavement. They are surely tough watches, but whacking it on the concrete at 20mph is going to do some serious damage.

Drillium Dude 12-21-15 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 18405847)
I'd be more concerned about taking a tumble and grinding that beautiful watch on the pavement. They are surely tough watches, but whacking it on the concrete at 20mph is going to do some serious damage.

I getcha. I don't worry about it, though - I suppose it's a fatalist attitude: whatever will be will be :)

Knock on wood, tho, I've not crashed badly in a looooooong time. And somehow, I've never effed a watch during any crash.

DD

pgjackson 12-21-15 09:22 PM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18406006)
I getcha. I don't worry about it, though - I suppose it's a fatalist attitude: whatever will be will be :)

Knock on wood, tho, I've not crashed badly in a looooooong time. And somehow, I've never effed a watch during any crash.

DD

I used to ride with my G-Shock...no way would I ride with one of my nice watches.

ahsposo 12-22-15 06:46 AM


Originally Posted by Drillium Dude (Post 18404851)
It may be worth that now, but it was half that in 1994.

DD

Pick the right watch and it's amazing. Read a thread on the Omega forum a guy had a Speedmaster he bought in 1970 onboard a US Navy ship. The photo included the bill of sale for $103. He had box, papers and a reasonably good condition watch. Probably sell for around $4000 in the current market.

ravenmore 12-22-15 07:55 PM

Just ordered a Seiko 5 Atlas. Just under $200 bones. This has officially become an addiction.

ravenmore 12-22-15 07:58 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18406862)
Pick the right watch and it's amazing. Read a thread on the Omega forum a guy had a Speedmaster he bought in 1970 onboard a US Navy ship. The photo included the bill of sale for $103. He had box, papers and a reasonably good condition watch. Probably sell for around $4000 in the current market.

Just like anything else - if you snag something that ends up being collectible when it comes out....

I've been searching for the recipe card boxes I had chock full of original Star Wars trading cards from the late 70's for years. :)

pgjackson 12-23-15 09:55 AM


Originally Posted by ravenmore (Post 18408696)
Just ordered a Seiko 5 Atlas. Just under $200 bones. This has officially become an addiction.

Welcome to the club. It is addicting. I just ordered another Parnis Marina Militare, this one with a GMT function.

mconlonx 12-23-15 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 18406371)
I used to ride with my G-Shock...no way would I ride with one of my nice watches.

Word. I had a few watches that I destroyed one way or another, working or playing hard. Then I got a G-Shock...

late 12-23-15 10:11 AM

You can get a good watch for a hundred bucks. I can even see getting a really nice one for a couple hundred. I'd never do it myself, but wtf.

When you spend more, you aren't buying a watch, you're buying jewelry.

pgjackson 12-23-15 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by late (Post 18409871)
You can get a good watch for a hundred bucks. I can even see getting a really nice one for a couple hundred. I'd never do it myself, but wtf.

When you spend more, you aren't buying a watch, you're buying jewelry.

That is true to an extent. A couple of years ago the thought of buying a $100 watch was completely foreign to me. Then I started collecting. Then $100 kind of became the starting point. There are a lot of really nice watches in the $100-150 range. I thought I'd never go over $150. Then I found a nice Hamilton on Craigslist for $250. Then I found a sweet Tissot for $350. I don't know where it ends, but every once in a while I'll find another watch that just strikes me for some reason and I must have it. Sure, I could just get a $30 Timex. It tells time just as well as my Tissot. Nothing wrong with wearing a nice watch, even if it might be considered more jewelry than timepiece.

Give it a try and see how you like it. Find a nice $150-200 watch on Amazon or Ebay and just do it. It's a fun hobby to collect. Most cyclist think nothing of spending $150 for a set of Gatorskin tires that last maybe a season or $400 on a pair of Sidi shoes that might last a couple of years. Why not spend that on something that will last decades...maybe even pass down to your kids?

pgjackson 12-23-15 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 18409826)
Word. I had a few watches that I destroyed one way or another, working or playing hard. Then I got a G-Shock...

My G-Shock is at least 15 years old. Don't remember when I got it, but I have literally done everything with it. Still has the original battery. Amazing watch. Every guy should own one.

ahsposo 12-23-15 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by late (Post 18409871)
You can get a good watch for a hundred bucks. I can even see getting a really nice one for a couple hundred. I'd never do it myself, but wtf.

When you spend more, you aren't buying a watch, you're buying jewelry.

That's right. No reason to buy or wear a watch today. Only reason to wear a watch is for the pleasure of it.

I get a lot of pleasure from a fine old timepiece. Marvels of engineering and some are really beautiful.

pgjackson 12-23-15 02:57 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18410723)
That's right. No reason to buy or wear a watch today. Only reason to wear a watch is for the pleasure of it.

I get a lot of pleasure from a fine old timepiece. Marvels of engineering and some are really beautiful.

I disagree. It's a lot easier to just glance at my wrist than to have to reach into my pocket, pull out a phone, turn it on, and then put it back in my pocket...especially when sitting down. So much easier just to look at your watch. Plus you don't end up looking like one of those obsessed phone-checkers constantly looking at their phone, and it can be distracting and disrespectful in certain business settings to check out your phone. There are a lot of things that could be considered unnecessary like belts, dress shoes, ties, matching socks, sport coat with jeans...

I agree that there is a certain amount of pleasure from wearing an elegant, well built machine on your wrist.

ravenmore 12-23-15 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18410723)
That's right. No reason to buy or wear a watch today. Only reason to wear a watch is for the pleasure of it.

I get a lot of pleasure from a fine old timepiece. Marvels of engineering and some are really beautiful.

I like watches for the same reason I like bicycles. It's a mechanical kinetic sculpture that elegantly serves a purpose. I think that's why I'm fond of automatics - at the moment anyway. :)

ahsposo 12-23-15 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by ravenmore (Post 18411017)
I like watches for the same reason I like bicycles. It's a mechanical kinetic sculpture that elegantly serves a purpose. I think that's why I'm fond of automatics - at the moment anyway. :)

Oh, me too. But I like hand winders as well - especially chronographs.

For me looking at this on my wrist:

http://i.imgur.com/msyzD6G.jpg

Means I've got this tiny marvel of precision and ingenuity working away inside:

http://i.imgur.com/caUy8x2.jpg

(not my picture - the seller of my watch took it)

trackhub 12-23-15 06:12 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18337541)
Have I mentioned I'm a sucker for chronographs?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I was interested in getting a Citizen model CA0255-01E. Very nice, perfect size for me, great look, Eco-Drive. Alas, those marketing dummies at Citizen discontinued it.
What, oh what, is the deal with marketing people? Never mind....

http://upic.me/i/mr/br526.jpg

ahsposo 12-23-15 06:31 PM

Here's an article I happened to hear last night on the BBC World.

A watchmaker's paradise - BBC News

ravenmore 12-23-15 08:57 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18411117)
Oh, me too. But I like hand winders as well - especially chronographs.

For me looking at this on my wrist:

http://i.imgur.com/msyzD6G.jpg

Means I've got this tiny marvel of precision and ingenuity working away inside:

http://i.imgur.com/caUy8x2.jpg

(not my picture - the seller of my watch took it)

This needs an exhibition/transparent back to see the movement.

pgjackson 12-24-15 08:17 AM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18411249)
Here's an article I happened to hear last night on the BBC World.

A watchmaker's paradise - BBC News

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Robert C 12-24-15 09:56 AM

http://s5.postimg.org/no6cscph3/IMG_1340.jpg

I ended up going with a Glycine Airman 18, even if I do consider it to be expensive (remember, expensive is relative). At the time I needed three timezones and I wanted analogue. I also do not like large watches. I got a R* GMT style watch for a while to try it and see if I liked it. I didn't, it was too big. I then got a smaller one and tried it for a while. I did like it; I just didn't like wearing something so blatantly (in my mind) fake.

However, at that point I had an idea what I wanted. I then saw the Glycine go on a steep discount and I jumped. Since then it has been my "go to" watch for several years. Yes, it is grossly overprices for what it is, most swiss watches are. However, there is little like it on the market.

Even though I no longer need the three timezones, I like it. I have a daughter inChina and I like being able to look at my watch and say "she should be at school" or "she should be sleeping." It increases my sense of connection.

I definitely don't recommend expensive watches (that being said, my wife has a Tag, where a Citizen would have served just as well). However, if it is what someone wants, I don't disparage it either.

pgjackson 12-24-15 10:37 AM

I hope everyone posts their Christmas watches. Would love to see what everyone gets this year. Unfortunately my new Parnis GMT that I just ordered won't be here till mid Jan. :(

ahsposo 12-24-15 01:24 PM

I am eagerly awaiting today's mail. I am expecting a MINT Longines Grand Prize - now this is very, very similar to the Admiral except a date window - but it comes with an original bracelet. I have no idea where this item was stored but it's 45+ y.o. and looks unworn.

I also have a Bulova coming that's just as old and just as fresh.


*JOY*

ahsposo 12-24-15 01:39 PM


Originally Posted by Robert C (Post 18412134)
http://s5.postimg.org/no6cscph3/IMG_1340.jpg

I ended up going with a Glycine Airman 18, even if I do consider it to be expensive (remember, expensive is relative). At the time I needed three timezones and I wanted analogue. I also do not like large watches. I got a R* GMT style watch for a while to try it and see if I liked it. I didn't, it was too big. I then got a smaller one and tried it for a while. I did like it; I just didn't like wearing something so blatantly (in my mind) fake.

However, at that point I had an idea what I wanted. I then saw the Glycine go on a steep discount and I jumped. Since then it has been my "go to" watch for several years. Yes, it is grossly overprices for what it is, most swiss watches are. However, there is little like it on the market.

Even though I no longer need the three timezones, I like it. I have a daughter inChina and I like being able to look at my watch and say "she should be at school" or "she should be sleeping." It increases my sense of connection.

I definitely don't recommend expensive watches (that being said, my wife has a Tag, where a Citizen would have served just as well). However, if it is what someone wants, I don't disparage it either.

That's NICE!

And expense is relative. I think of value a lot when making a purchase. As in "If I buy this and really don't like it can I get my money back on the open market?" "Will I leave my son some heirlooms here or at least a nice collection of timepieces he can cash out?"

I like 'bright and shiny' but I also want a small investment. Vintage watches can be both.

That said I also don't want something that's so valuable I won't feel comfortable wearing it. Like having classic bike or car you won't use.

pgjackson 12-24-15 02:21 PM


Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 18412570)
That's NICE!

And expense is relative. I think of value a lot when making a purchase. As in "If I buy this and really don't like it can I get my money back on the open market?" "Will I leave my son some heirlooms here or at least a nice collection of timepieces he can cash out?"

I like 'bright and shiny' but I also want a small investment. Vintage watches can be both.

That said I also don't want something that's so valuable I won't feel comfortable wearing it. Like having classic bike or car you won't use.

I agree. I can't imaging wearing a high-end watch daily. My $350 Tissot makes me a little nervous. Can't imagine wearing a $4000 watch.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.