Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Roadies and Watches

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Roadies and Watches

Old 07-18-08, 10:05 AM
  #126  
Kabloink
Senior Member
 
Kabloink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can we have a thread about dress shoes or cuff-links next?
Kabloink is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 10:19 AM
  #127  
Cjzoller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Cjzoller is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 12:12 PM
  #128  
volleybrad
pathetic earthling
 
volleybrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 162

Bikes: Felt F1x, Niner Air9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is the submariner homage I wear. love it.

volleybrad is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 03:33 PM
  #129  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just bought this at lunch.



I don't know a lot about watches - just thought it looked cool. The back is transparent and there is a plate that moves when you move the watch. Is that one of those 'kinetic drives' so the watch doesn't have to be wound?
ravenmore is offline  
Old 07-18-08, 03:39 PM
  #130  
ettsn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ih8lucky13 View Post
I have no problems with the Breitling Mechanicals, some of the finest watches in the world .

But, the Aerospace is a dud, especially coming from a great company like Breitling. That is why my opinion of the watch is akin to a Ferrari with a Hyundai engine.
I disagree. The Aerospace is a well-engineered piece. I'll end up with one, and also the functionally similar Omega Speedmaster X-33 (to go with my mechanical Omegas and Breitlings).
ettsn is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 12:22 PM
  #131  
AbsoluteZ3RO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cjzoller View Post


Is that out yet? Where do I get one? How much?
AbsoluteZ3RO is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 01:29 PM
  #132  
Ih8lucky13
The Truth
 
Ih8lucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 2,290

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ettsn View Post
I disagree. The Aerospace is a well-engineered piece. I'll end up with one, and also the functionally similar Omega Speedmaster X-33 (to go with my mechanical Omegas and Breitlings).
Waste of cash, How is it well engineered ? The Tag Heur quartz movements are at least a lot better and at a less expensive price.
Ih8lucky13 is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 02:25 PM
  #133  
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a vintage Rolex Submariner 5513. It was left to me by my father and for my 30th birthday I had it fully restored by Rolex of New York for $850.00. The difference from pre restored to restored was astonishing. The watch looks to be brand new.

Now, four years later, I sent it back to Rolex for it's 5 year cleaning and they wanted $900.00 to get it cleaned!!!!!... Are they serious!!!!... I received a tip though from a freind who collects Rolex's to just bring it to a local shop to get it cleaned. I'm guessing that will cost somewhere around $300.00 or so.

These watches are no joke. If you decide to buy one just make sure you can not only afford the $6000.00 price tag but the general maintenence costs as well!

Yet still, I love my fathers watch. I feel a certain sense of pride and confidence when I wear it.
__________________
steppinthefunk is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 02:32 PM
  #134  
Lazyrider
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,457

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless the watch is losing or gaining a significant amount of time on a daily basis, DON'T HAVE IT SERVICED. Just wear it and wind it regularly because if you wait 5 years or 20 years and send it back to Rolex to be serviced, the cost is the same. If they need to replace 100 parts or one cog, the price of service is the same. So don't bother sending it in every 5 years if it is telling good time.


Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
I have a vintage Rolex Submariner 5513. It was left to me by my father and for my 30th birthday I had it fully restored by Rolex of New York for $850.00. The difference from pre restored to restored was astonishing. The watch looks to be brand new.

Now, four years later, I sent it back to Rolex for it's 5 year cleaning and they wanted $900.00 to get it cleaned!!!!!... Are they serious!!!!... I received a tip though from a freind who collects Rolex's to just bring it to a local shop to get it cleaned. I'm guessing that will cost somewhere around $300.00 or so.

These watches are no joke. If you decide to buy one just make sure you can not only afford the $6000.00 price tag but the general maintenence costs as well!

Yet still, I love my fathers watch. I feel a certain sense of pride and confidence when I wear it.
Lazyrider is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 02:41 PM
  #135  
sshakari
Senior Member
 
sshakari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
+1
5513 is a fine watch! I would not have it serviced every 5 years nor would I go swimming with it. If it keeps reasonable time just wear it. By reasonable I mean minutes +/- a month

I would also not let a local watchmaker service/oil the watch. Rolex is strict on selling replacement movement parts. I would rather pay extra and have Rolex Service Center do the work. If you search the web you can read about how Rolex actually cleans the watch as it is much more then just clean and oil.

Originally Posted by Lazyrider View Post
Unless the watch is losing or gaining a significant amount of time on a daily basis, DON'T HAVE IT SERVICED. Just wear it and wind it regularly because if you wait 5 years or 20 years and send it back to Rolex to be serviced, the cost is the same. If they need to replace 100 parts or one cog, the price of service is the same. So don't bother sending it in every 5 years if it is telling good time.
sshakari is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 03:47 PM
  #136  
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyrider View Post
Unless the watch is losing or gaining a significant amount of time on a daily basis, DON'T HAVE IT SERVICED. Just wear it and wind it regularly because if you wait 5 years or 20 years and send it back to Rolex to be serviced, the cost is the same. If they need to replace 100 parts or one cog, the price of service is the same. So don't bother sending it in every 5 years if it is telling good time.
That's the problem. It is losing time.
__________________
steppinthefunk is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 06:43 PM
  #137  
Lazyrider
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,457

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best watch for the $ IMO

I own this one, (not my picture or hand though). I picked this up a several years ago before Ball really caught on and got it for 1/2 the price. They have doubled in price since then. The Ball Hydrocarbon BLOWS my Rolexes away in build and function but will not hold it's value as much. The indices are actually gas tubes that glow constantly and do not need to be "charged" by light.

My Breitling Chronomat Evolution is more refined, but in no way a "better watch". Ball's are worth a look for anyone that wants an alternative to Rolex or Omega (I own 3 Omegas which are fine watches as well). The only watches I seem to trade in are my Rolexes. Not sure why I keep buying them. It is funny how the general public react to a Rolex. A guy could be wearing a $50k Frank Mueller or Audemars Piguet but people we think that the guy wearing a $4k Rolex has the "better" watch just based on brand recognition. Ball is a great great watch. My next watch will be a Graham Chronofighter or a Panerai but not for a long while.


Last edited by Lazyrider; 07-19-08 at 07:20 PM.
Lazyrider is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 09:36 PM
  #138  
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop
 
king-tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE TN
Posts: 1,443

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge View Post
Over 60 replies before this was posted. BF is getting slow.
__________________
My slightly narcissistic and rarely updated blog can be found here
king-tony is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 10:05 PM
  #139  
krusty
Successful alcoholic
 
krusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
I have a vintage Rolex Submariner 5513. It was left to me by my father and for my 30th birthday I had it fully restored by Rolex of New York for $850.00. The difference from pre restored to restored was astonishing. The watch looks to be brand new.

Now, four years later, I sent it back to Rolex for it's 5 year cleaning and they wanted $900.00 to get it cleaned!!!!!... Are they serious!!!!... I received a tip though from a freind who collects Rolex's to just bring it to a local shop to get it cleaned. I'm guessing that will cost somewhere around $300.00 or so.

These watches are no joke. If you decide to buy one just make sure you can not only afford the $6000.00 price tag but the general maintenence costs as well!

Yet still, I love my fathers watch. I feel a certain sense of pride and confidence when I wear it.
Last I heard, Rolex wasn't too interested in working on older pieces in North America. In the late '80s, I bought an old 'Paul Newman' Daytona from someone who was upgrading to the new (at the time) high beat Zenith movement Daytona. I paid $2k at the time, which was outrageous, but I wanted a Rolex. Of course, it's now worth more than my car, but Rolex has flat out refused to service it. Fortunately it keeps good time, but it gets almost no wrist time.
krusty is offline  
Old 07-19-08, 11:36 PM
  #140  
absolutealex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyrider View Post
I own this one, (not my picture or hand though). I picked this up a several years ago before Ball really caught on and got it for 1/2 the price. They have doubled in price since then. The Ball Hydrocarbon BLOWS my Rolexes away in build and function but will not hold it's value as much. The indices are actually gas tubes that glow constantly and do not need to be "charged" by light.

My Breitling Chronomat Evolution is more refined, but in no way a "better watch". Ball's are worth a look for anyone that wants an alternative to Rolex or Omega (I own 3 Omegas which are fine watches as well). The only watches I seem to trade in are my Rolexes. Not sure why I keep buying them. It is funny how the general public react to a Rolex. A guy could be wearing a $50k Frank Mueller or Audemars Piguet but people we think that the guy wearing a $4k Rolex has the "better" watch just based on brand recognition. Ball is a great great watch. My next watch will be a Graham Chronofighter or a Panerai but not for a long while.
I had some once tell me that they'd rather own a Rolex over a Patek, simply because he nor anybody else he knew has ever heard of Patek.
absolutealex is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 12:53 AM
  #141  
2wheeled
Cheers!
 
2wheeled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Woodinville
Posts: 1,284

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They may not be great conversational pieces but I've always liked the simplicity of Skagen.

__________________
2wheeled is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 08:02 AM
  #142  
Lazyrider
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,457

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then he didn't know what the F$$# he was talking about. LOL I know someone who's husband inherited a Patek collection from his grandfather that I would literally be able to retire off of if they were sold. Rolex is a good watch, but are not that complicated and are WAY overrated because of brand recognition. Patek's have such thin movements which are much more complicated to pull off.


Originally Posted by absolutealex View Post
I had some once tell me that they'd rather own a Rolex over a Patek, simply because he nor anybody else he knew has ever heard of Patek.
Lazyrider is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 08:27 AM
  #143  
krusty
Successful alcoholic
 
krusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyrider View Post
Then he didn't know what the F$$# he was talking about. LOL I know someone who's husband inherited a Patek collection from his grandfather that I would literally be able to retire off of if they were sold. Rolex is a good watch, but are not that complicated and are WAY overrated because of brand recognition. Patek's have such thin movements which are much more complicated to pull off.
Some of the ladies' watches have quartz movements, but are still impressive. The first time my wife saw the PP24, she decided she had to have one. It looks rather good, I will admit.
krusty is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 08:51 AM
  #144  
Lazyrider
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,457

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I was referring to their mechanicals/automatics. Quartz is quartz no matter who puts out the watch but the movements in an automatic really are a thing of wonder if someone really thinks about it.


Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Some of the ladies' watches have quartz movements, but are still impressive. The first time my wife saw the PP24, she decided she had to have one. It looks rather good, I will admit.
Lazyrider is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 08:59 AM
  #145  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,841

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710 531 Steel

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked 2,191 Times in 1,368 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeled View Post
They may not be great conversational pieces but I've always liked the simplicity of Skagen.
Me, too.
__________________
Be nice

cb400bill is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 09:00 AM
  #146  
gv1256
angel in the snow
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 183

Bikes: panasonic dx 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeled View Post
They may not be great conversational pieces but I've always liked the simplicity of Skagen.

good call with the skagen i have a black titanium. such a beautiful watch for the price
gv1256 is offline  
Old 07-20-08, 11:39 AM
  #147  
Judoboy
my legs ache..
 
Judoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the pennines!
Posts: 6

Bikes: A really knackered Scott Yecora with road tyres, and a nice Scott reflex FX 25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Am I the only one who bought one? I've managed to scratch the face now too , but it wasn't from falling off, it was from changing a tube
Judoboy is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 07:59 AM
  #148  
Velo Gator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,723

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Me me me!!

So excited to find ths thread. (Oops. Just saw the last post was 2 years ago...)

I have Rolex Seadweller, Breitling Chrono Cockpit, Breitling Starliner, three Tag Heuers and some other fashion watches. They are my loves!

The Rolex gets the most wrist time, and it's what I wear on the bike.





Velo Gator is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 08:52 AM
  #149  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,550

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 140 Posts
I don't wear watches on my rides.



I love these zombie threads
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 07-26-10, 09:06 AM
  #150  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo View Post
I had a really nice and extensive watch collection that was stolen several years ago now I'm down to a GMT II a couple of Hamilton tank watches and a Rolex bubble back.
Me too. I got ripped off twice and finally lost all my collection, nothing really valuable, some minor vintage pieces from the 40-60s. Of course the last time I was burgled (?) what did I have on my wrist, not the Lord Elgin curved case, but a $15 digital quartz watch.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.