Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Aldi's

Old 02-11-10, 09:46 PM
  #26  
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa View Post
Hold on a second. I grew up in Iowa and at least as far back as the 70's and 80's there was a super-discount grocery chain there called Aldi's. Is this the same animal? Because they did not have good stuff; only the cheapest processed stuff money could buy. And I would not have said there was a European flair to the place. More like a Deliverance flair.

Have they gone through a make-over or something? One actually moved to my town a year or so ago, but I have not bothered to go.

jim
The Aldi's of today is far different than the Aldi's of the 70's. I remember buying Aldi's brand of Tang back in the 70's. You would end up with a glass of cloudy orange liquid with a bunch of sediment on the bottom. Didn't taste good, either.
sknhgy is offline  
Old 02-11-10, 10:16 PM
  #27  
bluevelo
beast mode
 
bluevelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 44

Bikes: Trek 2200, K2 Firebird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aldi's got me and my first wife through grad school and made the first years of our marriage's food budget manageable.

I should have never left her.
__________________
http://www.gretainthebox.com
bluevelo is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 02:27 AM
  #28  
poululla
Great guy
 
poululla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aldi is Germanys revenge for losing the Second World War.
poululla is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 08:28 AM
  #29  
skijor
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 938

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Well then they're lousy at exacting revenge. The items I purchase there are decent quality and I've saved over $400 there just in this past year.
skijor is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 10:57 AM
  #30  
ILUVUK
en fuego
 
ILUVUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,685

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We go to Aldi at least every other week. My in-laws own a food brokerage and Aldi is their main client. I don't buy produce or meats there, but milk, canned items, breakfast foods, and frozen foods are where we load up.
ILUVUK is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 11:18 AM
  #31  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,998

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting View Post
some real losers go to aldi and take with them bags from poncy supermarkets so their neighbours won't see them carrying Aldi bags.
I use "other bags" at Aldi's for one reason. Their reusable bags are toooooo big to fit in my grocery panniers. Aldi's bags are about 30-40% larger, than everyone else, so don't slide right in....
Wanderer is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 11:31 AM
  #32  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,084

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa View Post
Hold on a second. I grew up in Iowa and at least as far back as the 70's and 80's there was a super-discount grocery chain there called Aldi's. Is this the same animal? Because they did not have good stuff; only the cheapest processed stuff money could buy. And I would not have said there was a European flair to the place. More like a Deliverance flair.

Have they gone through a make-over or something? One actually moved to my town a year or so ago, but I have not bothered to go.

jim
That's what I remember too. There's one within walking distance of my home, but I go to the Italian or Polish grocery stores instead. The Polish store has a bakery, and you can't beat their bread.
no motor? is offline  
Old 02-12-10, 03:28 PM
  #33  
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb
 
sknhgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ILUVUK View Post
We go to Aldi at least every other week. My in-laws own a food brokerage and Aldi is their main client. I don't buy produce or meats there, but milk, canned items, breakfast foods, and frozen foods are where we load up.
Why not produce and meats? You've got me wondering.
sknhgy is offline  
Old 02-13-10, 03:06 PM
  #34  
FlatTop
holyrollin'
 
FlatTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
Posts: 1,324

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about their coffees? I've been tempted lately. It appears all their offerings are preground, but I'm not a coffeesnob.
FlatTop is offline  
Old 02-13-10, 03:12 PM
  #35  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,998

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what they are grinding for coffee, but it tastes like pencil shavings......
Wanderer is offline  
Old 02-13-10, 03:42 PM
  #36  
skijor
on by
 
skijor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 938

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I don't know what they are grinding for coffee, but it tastes like Batavia pencil shavings......
Illinois'd it for you
skijor is offline  
Old 02-15-10, 09:28 AM
  #37  
andrelam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,035

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTop View Post
What about their coffees? I've been tempted lately. It appears all their offerings are preground, but I'm not a coffeesnob.
I am not a coffee drinker but my parents are and are VERY picky. We are originally from Holland so they are used to very descent quality and strong coffee. For the longest time my parents had their coffee shipped by my aunt every few months to the USA. They liked Gevallia coffee, but it was cheaper to get their favorite coffee shipped from Holland. Now they have found the Aldi Grandessa coffee. I can't remember what specific version. They like the German coffee. It has lots of taste, but does not get bitter like a lot of coffees out there.

André
andrelam is offline  
Old 02-15-10, 09:44 AM
  #38  
FlatTop
holyrollin'
 
FlatTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
Posts: 1,324

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies on Aldi's coffees. It appears that with two opposing opinions, I must be the tiebreaker.

Andrelam, I like the Netherland's Gevalia and Douwe-Egberts coffee very much, so I think you have given me some helpful information.
FlatTop is offline  
Old 02-16-10, 11:11 AM
  #39  
Tude 
Blasted Weeds
 
Tude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,182

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aldi's is pretty good - canned stuff, frozen stuffs - didn't care for their vegetables. They remind me of a new store here (chain) PriceRite --- much of the same - and their meat specials are great (they do a lot of business with big racks of ribs - two big refrigerated areas are devoted to them. However - their vegetables/fruits are a hit and miss - sometimes ok, other times dreadful. When they first opened I noticed they didn't have overhead misting, etc - instead I watched a store employee with a bottle of water (bottle was obviously a windex bottle) - spritzing the vegetables, sometimes picking up a stalk of celery to get below.
__________________
Tude is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 12:40 PM
  #40  
ILUVUK
en fuego
 
ILUVUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,685

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
Why not produce and meats? You've got me wondering.
My wife and I believe that the produce and meats at HyVee are a little better. Another reason is that produce selection is somewhat limited relative to a "normal" grocery store.
ILUVUK is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 01:38 PM
  #41  
couch_incident
What is a jsharr?
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 142

Bikes: Kona Dew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love aldis. Their version of SPAM is fantastic! The coffee is pretty good too.

Couch
couch_incident is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 03:03 PM
  #42  
miniwaring
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an Englishman I have found this thread fascinating in teaching me about the differences between North America and Britain in the smaller things in life. To me Tesco is, I agree, the evil empire that seems to be taking over everything (even to the point of buying land to stop competitors building) and we had one of our major supermarkets taken over by Walmart so we now have the phenomenon of 'Greeters' who have to show a smile to your average grumpy Brit who would rather be anywhere else than trailing around with the other 'alf.

The nice things about Aldi in Britain are similar to the comments made in the posts. Packing your own bags is the custom here, even to the extent that when we get local kids' soccer teams packing for you to raise a bit of money I pay them not to, or else anything crushable is guaranteed to end up under the heavy objects.

What interests me is that nobody has mentioned the manager's specials that we get over here. Twice a week they have selected higher value items which make a very weird collection ranging from computers to power drills and knickers (panties?) to spanners (wrenches?).
Once or twice a year they stock cycling stuff, some of which is very useful e.g. SPD shoes and pedals, Cycling longs, jerseys,jackets, track mitts, padded underwear etc. All of it is generally of OK quality and is always priced substantially lower than the LBS. Cycling longs and bar bags I have bought in the past have lasted as long as anything I have bought from a bike shop.
If this is not a feature of Aldi, North America then perhaps you should ask why?
You quickly get to know what's good or not in Aldi and if you get it wrong then usually the lesson is learned at too much expense.
miniwaring is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 03:12 PM
  #43  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you sure it isn't lidl you are referring to? i've seen those cycling sales and i agree they are excellent value. the problem was i didn't see much that was useful to the roadie. plenty of good commuting and mountain biking stuff though.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 03:19 PM
  #44  
miniwaring
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, definitely Aldi, although Lidl do them as well at times. I have a pair of SPD compatible pedals which came from Aldi for the amazing price of £2.95 in a sale. I get the idea that the manager did not really understand what they were. Also I have shorts , a jacket and cycling longs from there but if you don't get there early on a Thursday morning the men with the thighs like tugboats and the permanent saddle-shaped dent in their backsides seem to bulk buy all the normal sized items.
miniwaring is offline  
Old 02-17-10, 03:22 PM
  #45  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got a tool kit from lidl. it was about £10 but online bike shop had it at about £80. made my wrenching so much easier.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 02-18-10, 08:34 PM
  #46  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, today Aldi had a 6000W 13HP gas generator for just $399, a set of 12 point closed wrenches with offset heads, and an aluminum hand truck.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  
Old 02-18-10, 08:59 PM
  #47  
spry
location:northern Ohio
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniwaring View Post
As an Englishman I have found this thread fascinating in teaching me about the differences between North America and Britain in the smaller things in life. To me Tesco is, I agree, the evil empire that seems to be taking over everything (even to the point of buying land to stop competitors building) and we had one of our major supermarkets taken over by Walmart so we now have the phenomenon of 'Greeters' who have to show a smile to your average grumpy Brit who would rather be anywhere else than trailing around with the other 'alf.

The nice things about Aldi in Britain are similar to the comments made in the posts. Packing your own bags is the custom here, even to the extent that when we get local kids' soccer teams packing for you to raise a bit of money I pay them not to, or else anything crushable is guaranteed to end up under the heavy objects.

What interests me is that nobody has mentioned the manager's specials that we get over here. Twice a week they have selected higher value items which make a very weird collection ranging from computers to power drills and knickers (panties?) to spanners (wrenches?).
Once or twice a year they stock cycling stuff, some of which is very useful e.g. SPD shoes and pedals, Cycling longs, jerseys,jackets, track mitts, padded underwear etc. All of it is generally of OK quality and is always priced substantially lower than the LBS. Cycling longs and bar bags I have bought in the past have lasted as long as anything I have bought from a bike shop.
If this is not a feature of Aldi, North America then perhaps you should ask why?
You quickly get to know what's good or not in Aldi and if you get it wrong then usually the lesson is learned at too much expense.
What the bloody hell?
How come we do not get the Aldis cycling stuff in "merica"like the Limeys do?
The gor-tex boots for $29 were nice though.
spry is offline  
Old 02-18-10, 09:06 PM
  #48  
spry
location:northern Ohio
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomcow2 View Post
Interesting, today Aldi had a 6000W 13HP gas generator for just $399, a set of 12 point closed wrenches with offset heads, and an aluminum hand truck.
You could wheel that thing to the NH hills and build that rustic timber chalet.
spry is offline  
Old 02-21-10, 04:32 PM
  #49  
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 4,322
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI: Aldi and Trader Joes has the same owner.
Mr IGH is offline  
Old 02-21-10, 07:04 PM
  #50  
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH View Post
FYI: Aldi and Trader Joes has the same owner.
Haha, thanks for bringing this thread back . I never expected 50 replies
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.