Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Good samaritan

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

R.I.P. Good samaritan

Old 04-27-10, 07:33 PM
  #1  
Bubba Zanetti
cycling 4 fun
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R.I.P. Good samaritan

I'm having a bad day.....than I had to see this ****!..

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...-92015664.html

What the **** is wrong with people!!
Bubba Zanetti is offline  
Old 04-27-10, 07:51 PM
  #2  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
is that in Queens, Jamaica?
That place is a very dangerous and scary part of town according to some Jamaicans I have talked to.

ok, so it isn't in Jamaica? why does the article mention Jamaica?
ugh... what a confusing article.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 04-27-10, 08:02 PM
  #3  
spinnaker
Every day a winding road
 
spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6,540

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Saw this yesterday. It really upset me too.
spinnaker is offline  
Old 04-27-10, 09:49 PM
  #4  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw an article about this a few days ago. Apparently one passerby even stopped and took a picture with his cell phone camera.

On the other hand, things like this really make you wonder who is more civilized?

__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 04-27-10, 10:06 PM
  #5  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
what goes through the heads of people like this?
"I'm running late for work, I don't want to get tied up in this."
"someone else will take care of it and call 911."
"not my problem and I don't want to deal with court appearances or any other time wasting things"
etc.

In a word, selfish. People walking by have other things to do and don't feel like wasting time by attending to a person who is laying on the floor in a pool of his own blood. (I couldn't see any blood from the footage, but I'm guessing it was there)

You know how you can solve this problem of selfishness and actually get people to be "Good Samaritans"?
Offer monetary rewards for doing good deeds like stopping and helping.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 01:39 AM
  #6  
Bubba Zanetti
cycling 4 fun
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
Saw this yesterday. It really upset me too.
Your signature says it all.
Bubba Zanetti is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 02:16 AM
  #7  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,369
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
is that in Queens, Jamaica?
That place is a very dangerous and scary part of town according to some Jamaicans I have talked to.

ok, so it isn't in Jamaica? why does the article mention Jamaica?
ugh... what a confusing article.
don't know much about NYC, do you?
botto is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 06:16 AM
  #8  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's it....I am now considering people less then human!
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 06:24 AM
  #9  
coasting 
Still can't climb
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Limey in Taiwan
Posts: 23,024
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
move along now.
__________________
coasting, few quotes are worthy of him, and of those, even fewer printable in a family forum......quote 3alarmer

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
coasting is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 06:32 AM
  #10  
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Posts: 2,908

Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a few blocks from where I grew up in Queens. It's nothing like it was back then in terms of crime, etc., although I still wouldn't want to be walking around there in the middle of the night these days.

But you have to understand, like in any big city, one gets 'used' to seeing human beings sprawled on the sidewalks. We do have a large homeless population here. It sucks, no question; walking the streets here, you often see such sights and wonder if someone is dead, sleeping, drunk, or whatever. If you stopped to investigate and intervene every time you saw something like this you'd have a hard time holding down a job and so forth.

I will say, a visible pool of blood would make a difference for me (I'd at least call 911), but that also might scare a lot of people off. Very sad.
__________________
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 08:20 AM
  #11  
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport
 
Diegomayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 698

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bystander effect... sad but true. Its human nature to assume others' will pick up the slack/assist.

That video of a dog saving another dog was gratifying to see. Dog hero FTW!
Diegomayra is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 08:22 AM
  #12  
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight
 
RUOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Haggard Song
Posts: 11,265

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese
RUOkie is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 09:42 AM
  #13  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,369
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
That's a few blocks from where I grew up in Queens. It's nothing like it was back then in terms of crime, etc., although I still wouldn't want to be walking around there in the middle of the night these days.

But you have to understand, like in any big city, one gets 'used' to seeing human beings sprawled on the sidewalks. We do have a large homeless population here. It sucks, no question; walking the streets here, you often see such sights and wonder if someone is dead, sleeping, drunk, or whatever. If you stopped to investigate and intervene every time you saw something like this you'd have a hard time holding down a job and so forth.

I will say, a visible pool of blood would make a difference for me (I'd at least call 911), but that also might scare a lot of people off. Very sad.
based on the CCTV footage, that's pretty much how i took it. if people want to rage on about the callousness of people today, then rage on about the hit and run that was caught on CCTV in hartford last year.
botto is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 09:58 AM
  #14  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
don't know much about NYC, do you?
nope.

one thing writers should never assume is that the reader knows the place.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 10:13 AM
  #15  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
based on the CCTV footage, that's pretty much how i took it. if people want to rage on about the callousness of people today, then rage on about the hit and run that was caught on CCTV in hartford last year.
last year? Holy **** dude...seems like there's a hit and run every day here in ATL.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 12:30 PM
  #16  
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 11,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diegomayra View Post
Bystander effect... sad but true. Its human nature to assume others' will pick up the slack/assist.
Wasn't NYC a while back that was made famous for an incident where an old lady was being robbed and stabbed to death? For 2-5 minutes she was screaming for help. Investigation later found that over 100 people heard her screams but no one even bothered to call for help? This is often recited in numerous psychology texts and studies.
DannoXYZ is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 12:57 PM
  #17  
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport
 
Diegomayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 698

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Wasn't NYC a while back that was made famous for an incident where an old lady was being robbed and stabbed to death? For 2-5 minutes she was screaming for help. Investigation later found that over 100 people heard her screams but no one even bothered to call for help? This is often recited in numerous psychology texts and studies.
Uh-huh

Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
Yup!
Diegomayra is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 01:02 PM
  #18  
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 40,369
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
nope.

one thing writers should never assume is that the reader knows the place.
NYC isn't just any old place.

Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
last year? Holy **** dude...seems like there's a hit and run every day here in ATL.
obviously you don't know what i'm referring to.

here's a link.
botto is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 01:08 PM
  #19  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto View Post
NYC isn't just any old place.



obviously you don't know what i'm referring to.

here's a link.
thanks for the link.
Now I'm back to people are less then human.
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 02:02 PM
  #20  
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 11,739
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diegomayra View Post
Uh-huh

Yup!
Thanks! I missed the link. Although I may be thinking of a different incident. But to a 10-year old, a 28-year old could be considered an old lady.

Originally Posted by ModoVincere View Post
thanks for the link.
Now I'm back to people are less then human.
The thing I find most scary is that these people who did nothing, the people who just drove by the old man hit in the streets, these people are OUR neighbors and fellow countrymen. THEY are voting on issues that affects US!!!

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 04-28-10 at 02:10 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 10:21 PM
  #21  
banerjek
Portland Fred
 
banerjek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,508

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
This doesn't surprise me at all. I've long certain that if I ever get whacked by a car, I can count on idiots to gawk, take cell phone vids to post on youtube, and watch me croak rather than do anything useful.
banerjek is offline  
Old 04-28-10, 10:29 PM
  #22  
c.miller64
Senior Member
 
c.miller64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 475

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was born in Jamaica Hospital- just 3 blocks from where this poor man was murdered.
Makes it even sadder that he was left on the street to die while being so close to a hospital.
c.miller64 is offline  
Old 04-29-10, 03:12 AM
  #23  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
The thing I find most scary is that these people who did nothing, the people who just drove by the old man hit in the streets, these people are OUR neighbors and fellow countrymen. THEY are voting on issues that affects US!!!
The only redeeming virtue of their apathy is that they probably can't be bothered to vote either... unless it's for an American Idol contest.
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 04-29-10, 08:33 PM
  #24  
Bubba Zanetti
cycling 4 fun
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64 View Post
I was born in Jamaica Hospital- just 3 blocks from where this poor man was murdered.
Makes it even sadder that he was left on the street to die while being so close to a hospital.
3 blocks from a hospital and a poor human being had to die because no one gave a f**k! How sad.
Bubba Zanetti is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.