Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Germany's strongest man is a vegetarian

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Germany's strongest man is a vegetarian

Reply

Old 11-06-11, 09:19 AM
  #1  
Closed Office
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Germany's strongest man is a vegetarian

To a lot of people, you eat muscles to get them. That sort of ignores where the beef got the muscle in the first place. So it was nice to see this in the news.

http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/20...-a-vegetarian/

And then there are elephants and gorillas. Where do they get the muscle?
Closed Office is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 09:23 AM
  #2  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Building muscle requires protein. Protein is available from both plant and animal sources.

I prefer animal sources.
dcrowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 09:26 AM
  #3  
runningDoc
Senior Member
 
runningDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Prince Fielder - star baseball player (about to get an outrageous 9 figure contract from someone)




he's a vegetarian too.

but I guess it just shows the power of genetics and that fact that you can still be fat and follow a vegetarian diet as well.

genetics.
runningDoc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 10:12 AM
  #4  
gitarzan
Lost Again
 
gitarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbus, Oh!
Posts: 1,041

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Why do certain vegetarians and omnivores worry so much about what each other eats? Is a feeling of self superiority so important to them?

Friggin' food zealots.
gitarzan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 10:28 AM
  #5  
bengreen79
Allez means go.
 
bengreen79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Two Rivers, WI
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
Prince Fielder - star baseball player (about to get an outrageous 9 figure contract from someone)

he's a vegetarian too.

but I guess it just shows the power of genetics and that fact that you can still be fat and follow a vegetarian diet as well.

genetics.
Since we're in Foo and not in the nutrition forum, I want to hijack this thread into talking about Prince Fielder. I'm a Brewers fan so I hope we make a competitive offer that will at least make him consider staying. I'm guessing he'll go elsewhere though, probably ending up as DH with an occasional spot start at first base for an AL team. He'll probably sign something like a 9 year $200 million contract.
bengreen79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:09 AM
  #6  
shawmutt
Senior Member
 
shawmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greencastle, PA
Posts: 255

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shawmutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:13 AM
  #7  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Not only that, but why would a person define who they are by the kinds of food they do or don't eat? Who cares?
Exactly. I've changed the type of food I eat several times over the last few years. Dietary experimentation!
dcrowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:26 AM
  #8  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,276

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
The world's strongest man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zydrunas_Savickas

Diet:

http://mhpstrong.com/MHP/athletes/st...s_savickas.php
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:28 AM
  #9  
shawmutt
Senior Member
 
shawmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greencastle, PA
Posts: 255

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure I'd want a protein shake up my MASS.
shawmutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:37 AM
  #10  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,276

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Closed Office View Post
To a lot of people, you eat muscles to get them. That sort of ignores where the beef got the muscle in the first place. So it was nice to see this in the news.

http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/20...-a-vegetarian/

And then there are elephants and gorillas. Where do they get the muscle?
Gorillas are not vegetarians... although their primary source of food is plant based they also eat a lot of bugs, especially protein rich termites.

True herbivores are adapted to digest and extract protiens exclusively from their plant based diets.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 04:42 PM
  #11  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eat what you want but....

What bugs me is:
a) Lame anti vegetarian jokes
b) Lame meat eater jokes
c) The uninformed who call themselves carnivores. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Humans are omnivores.
DataJunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 08:19 PM
  #12  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
Eat what you want but....

What bugs me is:
a) Lame anti vegetarian jokes
b) Lame meat eater jokes
c) The uninformed who call themselves carnivores. Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are omnivores. Humans are omnivores.
Yep, this is why my dogs will eat anything I will. My cat, not so much.

(the dogs will eat brussel sprouts)
dcrowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 08:40 PM
  #13  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1 word says it all as to why I will never be a vegetarian.

BACON!
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 10:39 PM
  #14  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bacon is the one meat item I miss. Though not enough to put up with my lovely digestive issues.
DataJunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 12:24 AM
  #15  
blueduckxx
Senior Member
 
blueduckxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
Prince Fielder - star baseball player (about to get an outrageous 9 figure contract from someone)




he's a vegetarian too.

but I guess it just shows the power of genetics and that fact that you can still be fat and follow a vegetarian diet as well.

genetics.
I wish people wouldnt blame it on "genetics", no, YOU have the power to control how your body looks, just depends on how determined you are.
blueduckxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 03:19 AM
  #16  
ReinderDijkhuis
GNU cyclist
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hoogezand
Posts: 54

Bikes: Koga Miyata Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good to know. I've always wanted an extra leg.
ReinderDijkhuis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:09 AM
  #17  
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour
 
ModoVincere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
meh....if its food, eat it!
__________________
1 bronze, 0 silver, 1 gold
ModoVincere is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:24 AM
  #18  
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Posts: 5,445

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bengreen79 View Post
Since we're in Foo and not in the nutrition forum, I want to hijack this thread into talking about Prince Fielder. I'm a Brewers fan so I hope we make a competitive offer that will at least make him consider staying. I'm guessing he'll go elsewhere though, probably ending up as DH with an occasional spot start at first base for an AL team. He'll probably sign something like a 9 year $200 million contract.
Wow 200mil for hitting a ball? Amazing. Obviously too much money in base ball. I gave it up a long time ago. But I have to admit, that guys got one hell of a baseball star players name
jfmckenna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:54 AM
  #19  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6632 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Closed Office View Post
To a lot of people, you eat muscles to get them. That sort of ignores where the beef got the muscle in the first place. So it was nice to see this in the news.

http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/20...-a-vegetarian/

And then there are elephants and gorillas. Where do they get the muscle?
Beef has more than one stomach and can regurgitate food as cud to effect proper digestion. Decent beef, i.e. grassfed, eats stuff humans can't digest.

Meat is also a more efficient way of getting necessary proteins, amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. B-12 anyone?

In most parts of the world, a vegan diet is hugely unkind to the environment and nearly impossible at a locally sourced level--vegetarian is a better choice, or a mainly vegetarian diet with occasional small portions of meat. In some parts of the world, even a vegetarian diet won't work without severely disrupting traditional culture.

Then there's those vegetarians who eat fish. "...It's OK to eat fish, 'cause they do not have any feelings..." If they can make a fish exception, maybe I'll consider a bacon exception.

Currently eating a vegetarian diet, have been for the past three years. In that time, I accidently ingested bacon once as part of another dish, had one rare sirloin strip steak at a steak house, still trim up our family's traditional Christmas roast beef tenderloin. At a recent show we did in Allston MA, we used a cow head as a prop, attacking it with an axe during the finale.

Very much enjoying every aspect of our vegetarian diet with the exception of bacon and steaks. I miss them, sure, but the health payoff is pretty dramatic -- vegetarian diet and cutting out most alcohol, I dropped 20 lbs pretty much instantly. I feel better and poop more regularly. I've developed some pretty tasty and creative recipes, tried others I might not have otherwise.

Eat what you want; be aware that what you put in your body has big health consequences and adjust your diet accordingly. You can eat meat and still maintain a healthy, moral, and ethical diet; you can eat vegetarian and still be causing greater harm to yourself and the world than an aware, non-vegetarian diet.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:07 AM
  #20  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Beef has more than one stomach and can regurgitate food as cud to effect proper digestion. Decent beef, i.e. grassfed, eats stuff humans can't digest.

Meat is also a more efficient way of getting necessary proteins, amino acids, minerals, and vitamins. B-12 anyone?

In most parts of the world, a vegan diet is hugely unkind to the environment and nearly impossible at a locally sourced level--vegetarian is a better choice, or a mainly vegetarian diet with occasional small portions of meat. In some parts of the world, even a vegetarian diet won't work without severely disrupting traditional culture.

Then there's those vegetarians who eat fish. "...It's OK to eat fish, 'cause they do not have any feelings..." If they can make a fish exception, maybe I'll consider a bacon exception.

Currently eating a vegetarian diet, have been for the past three years. In that time, I accidently ingested bacon once as part of another dish, had one rare sirloin strip steak at a steak house, still trim up our family's traditional Christmas roast beef tenderloin. At a recent show we did in Allston MA, we used a cow head as a prop, attacking it with an axe during the finale.

Very much enjoying every aspect of our vegetarian diet with the exception of bacon and steaks. I miss them, sure, but the health payoff is pretty dramatic -- vegetarian diet and cutting out most alcohol, I dropped 20 lbs pretty much instantly. I feel better and poop more regularly. I've developed some pretty tasty and creative recipes, tried others I might not have otherwise.

Eat what you want; be aware that what you put in your body has big health consequences and adjust your diet accordingly. You can eat meat and still maintain a healthy, moral, and ethical diet; you can eat vegetarian and still be causing greater harm to yourself and the world than an aware, non-vegetarian diet.
We found your true motivation.
dcrowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 09:10 AM
  #21  
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Originally Posted by blueduckxx View Post
I wish people wouldnt blame it on "genetics", no, YOU have the power to control how your body looks, just depends on how determined you are.
You can work with a genetic predisposition, but you can't change it.
jdon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 10:58 AM
  #22  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6632 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
We found your true motivation.
Absolutely!
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 11:30 AM
  #23  
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 2,434

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Absolutely!
... and I just noticed your username contains the word "colon".
dcrowell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 12:31 PM
  #24  
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Posts: 6,163

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
I like how he takes the time to show us the variances in diet pre contest and off season

Pre-Contest
Meal 1: 8 eggs, rice, whey protein drink, Activite,
A-Bomb

Meal 2: Up Your MASS Shake

Meal 3: (Pre-Training) Trac Extreme-NO or NO-Bomb

Meal 4: (Post-Training) Dark Matter or Up Your MASS

Meal 5: 500g beef, rice, vegetables

Meal 6: Probolic Protein Shake

Meal 7: 500g chicken breast, rice, vegetables

Meal 8: Probolic Shake, Glutamine-SR, A-Bomb, Cyclin or Secretagogue

Off-Season
Meal 1: 8 eggs, rice, whey protein drink, Activite,
A-Bomb

Meal 2: Up Your MASS Shake

Meal 3: (Pre-Training) Trac Extreme-NO or NO-Bomb

Meal 4: (Post-Training) Dark Matter or Up Your MASS

Meal 5: 500g beef, rice, vegetables

Meal 6: Probolic Protein Shake

Meal 7: 500g chicken breast, rice, vegetables

Meal 8: Probolic Shake, Glutamine-SR, A-Bomb, Cyclin or Secretagogue
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 03:33 PM
  #25  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,559
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6632 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
... and I just noticed your username contains the word "colon".
"BowelMovement McRectumEvacuation" was too long.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service