Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

the kayaking thread

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

the kayaking thread

Old 04-20-15, 09:09 AM
  #151  
DBrown9383
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am seeing the same problem for kayaks as I'm now having with bikes. I don't want to own TWO bikes so I bought a hybrid which isn't very good on macadam OR on dirt. I have no desire to own two kayaks either but you would really need a touring kayak AND a whitewater boat to do it right. There is no way I'd try to take a long touring kayak with little rocker down a technical creek or even big water class 3. I want to turn on a dime when I need to. At least my old Perception dancer isn't a flat bottom boat so it will track o.k. on flat water but I get laughed at when I paddle it now with all the new short flat boats that are all the rage I get called a "retro" boater. I tried one of the new style boats, a liquid logic on a man made whitewater course in MD. It was a lot of fun but I wouldn't want to have to paddle it across a lake... ever..
DBrown9383 is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 01:26 PM
  #152  
swampboy62
hermit
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanYQX View Post
Anyone out paddling yet? I've been playing around in the pool and I'm dying to put my boat in the water.
Heck yeah. Spring rains are the stuff of dreams around here. Got in a couple of seldom run whitewater creeks in the Allegheny Gorge area (western PA).

I limit myself to the easier stuff these days, so the first run was a solo Bear Creek run - first time back there in 7 years, but I still remembered (most of) the lines.

Then three days later an awesome trip on Deer Creek to the Clarion River. One of my favorite class II(+) runs - 3.5 miles with 23 rapids. And the shuttle is only 3 miles, so you spend less distance hiking/biking than paddling!!!

And if you guys want a paddling forum, for whitewater, then you have to go to the real deal:

BoaterTalk: Forum: BoaterTalk

Steve Z

PS - I'm surprised that the vast majority here seem to paddle flatwater and not whitewater!





'Pedaling when it's dry and paddling when it's wet.'

Last edited by swampboy62; 04-20-15 at 02:47 PM.
swampboy62 is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 08:00 PM
  #153  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
And if you guys want a paddling forum, for whitewater, then you have to go to the real deal:

BoaterTalk: Forum: BoaterTalk
Yeah, I want a general paddling forum that is a normal forum format that is more active than 3 posts a day.

I only know of Paddling.net which is a horrible format, ******/r/kayaking which is another difficult to read format. Kayakcrazy is pretty much inactive and Song of the Paddle is based in the UK, most of the talk is rivers in the UK (which is good for them) and mainly canoe with very little kayak.


PS - I'm surprised that the vast majority here seem to paddle flatwater and not whitewater!
Yeah, with how "serious" people on this forum are with their cycling, I'm surprised they aren't "serious" with their paddling. Me, I'm not "serious". I bike because it's an extremely enjoyable exercise and very good exercise at that. I want to explore on the bike and take in nature, not rip down the roads as far and as fast as I can so I can brag the next day at work about riding another century over the weekend. I'll be taking my paddling the same. I've always loved the water and want to be out in nature away from civilization. It's not the activity of riding the bike or paddling that I seek, it's the out in nature. I'll be happy to stop paddling and sit and watch a bald eagle for 30 minutes.

A guy at work keeps bugging me about riding Pittsburgh to DC or various other long distance multiday rides he does. Doesn't interest me in the least. I'm watching a lot of paddling videos on youtube though of folks taking a week to paddle down the Allegheny camping out along the way each night. Just watched yesterday morning the videos of a guy who did Warren to Pittsburgh down the Allegheny for 15 days. I ride the Allegheny River Trail almost daily and watch the kayaks and canoes lazily float down the river every day and I'm jealous, LOL. I couldn't do 50 miles a day camping out every night for 5 days on the bike, but I think I could very easily do it paddling down the flatwater river quite often.





'Pedaling when it's dry and paddling when it's wet.'[/QUOTE]
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-20-15, 11:14 PM
  #154  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc View Post
Ethan - the Katana looks like it would be a fun general river running (swift or whitewater) boat. But without paddling it I'd imagine it's not much fun on flatwater where the rocker hull will make you expend energy just to go straight, and the short length and relative heaviness of the boat will also make it sluggish.

But if you can demo it, give it a try. It reminds me a little of the old Dagger Vortex - the boat in which I learned to paddle ww - great boat that was underrated in it's time because that was when the focus started to shift to shorter and flatter bottom boats.
Yeah, it seems like it shouldn't have any bad habits and once I get to be comfortable on nasty stuff it'll still serve a purpose as a multi day boat. I have a 10 foot Rec Boat as well so I'm not too concerned about flatwater, a nice touring boat might come a year or so after the Katana.

I like it better than the LiquidLogic Remix XP for a couple reasons, the biggest one being that it doesn't have footpegs which the Remix XP does.

Originally Posted by Juha View Post
I've posted this before, but here's my rig. That trailer is a Trayak.

--J

That is awesome.

Originally Posted by DBrown9383 View Post
I am seeing the same problem for kayaks as I'm now having with bikes. I don't want to own TWO bikes so I bought a hybrid which isn't very good on macadam OR on dirt. I have no desire to own two kayaks either but you would really need a touring kayak AND a whitewater boat to do it right. There is no way I'd try to take a long touring kayak with little rocker down a technical creek or even big water class 3. I want to turn on a dime when I need to. At least my old Perception dancer isn't a flat bottom boat so it will track o.k. on flat water but I get laughed at when I paddle it now with all the new short flat boats that are all the rage I get called a "retro" boater. I tried one of the new style boats, a liquid logic on a man made whitewater course in MD. It was a lot of fun but I wouldn't want to have to paddle it across a lake... ever..
I learned to sweep roll in a Dagger Freefall LT. How's that for retro?

I like a rounder hull better, in my limited experience. I paddled an RPM a while ago and really loved it.

Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
Heck yeah. Spring rains are the stuff of dreams around here. Got in a couple of seldom run whitewater creeks in the Allegheny Gorge area (western PA).

I limit myself to the easier stuff these days, so the first run was a solo Bear Creek run - first time back there in 7 years, but I still remembered (most of) the lines.

Then three days later an awesome trip on Deer Creek to the Clarion River. One of my favorite class II(+) runs - 3.5 miles with 23 rapids. And the shuttle is only 3 miles, so you spend less distance hiking/biking than paddling!!!

And if you guys want a paddling forum, for whitewater, then you have to go to the real deal:

BoaterTalk: Forum: BoaterTalk

Steve Z

PS - I'm surprised that the vast majority here seem to paddle flatwater and not whitewater!





'Pedaling when it's dry and paddling when it's wet.'
I need another little bit of work on my rolls before I start running much whitewater, but it's why I got into kayaking.

Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Yeah, with how "serious" people on this forum are with their cycling, I'm surprised they aren't "serious" with their paddling. Me, I'm not "serious". I bike because it's an extremely enjoyable exercise and very good exercise at that. I want to explore on the bike and take in nature, not rip down the roads as far and as fast as I can so I can brag the next day at work about riding another century over the weekend. I'll be taking my paddling the same. I've always loved the water and want to be out in nature away from civilization. It's not the activity of riding the bike or paddling that I seek, it's the out in nature. I'll be happy to stop paddling and sit and watch a bald eagle for 30 minutes.

A guy at work keeps bugging me about riding Pittsburgh to DC or various other long distance multiday rides he does. Doesn't interest me in the least. I'm watching a lot of paddling videos on youtube though of folks taking a week to paddle down the Allegheny camping out along the way each night. Just watched yesterday morning the videos of a guy who did Warren to Pittsburgh down the Allegheny for 15 days. I ride the Allegheny River Trail almost daily and watch the kayaks and canoes lazily float down the river every day and I'm jealous, LOL. I couldn't do 50 miles a day camping out every night for 5 days on the bike, but I think I could very easily do it paddling down the flatwater river quite often.
Exploring flatwater is a lot of fun too, but I'm too much of an adrenaline junky to avoid whitewater for too long. I did a bit of paddling on Lake Mead and a tour on the Colorado River a few months ago, put in right after the Hoover Dam and paddled to the marina about 12 miles downstream. Saw some sheep, hiked into the hot springs (As luck would have it, we had four absolutely gorgeous Costa Rican ladies about my age with us...), checked out caves, took some photos.

Paddled a Jackson Journey, 14 feet with a rudder. Nice boat but not enough of a speed advantage over my current one, if I were to add another flatwater boat I'd go long, like 17.5' or so, and with some serious gear packing capability. No idea what, maybe a Necky Looksha or one of the locally made sea kayaks, called Eastern Island. The guide was in a Wilderness Systems touring boat, that was nice too.

Last edited by EthanYQX; 04-20-15 at 11:23 PM.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 03:11 AM
  #155  
jbchybridrider 
Senior Member
 
jbchybridrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: adelaide, australia
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Paddled Chambers Creek today, here's my kayaking kit. Cricket hat and shirt gives good sun protection and breaths dries quick and the shoes. My nose isn't really that big it's the shadow.







jbchybridrider is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 06:54 AM
  #156  
billyymc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ethan - if you like the rounded hull whitewater boats you may just want to find a used one on Craigslist or contact a local paddling club. Whitewater boats don't hold value well at all, and I'm sure in the right area there are many dusty Vortex's, RPM's, Pirouettes, and various other brands to be had for almost nothing. It's really hard to sell those old boats, but they would work just fine for you to get started in whitewater.

Are you near a kayak school like Madawasku (sp)? If so I'm sure they could help you find boats like that.

As for forums, Boatertalk is one of the daddy's. I haven't been active there in years so have no idea what it's like. If you're in the northeast US, or eastern CA then NPMB.com is a decent forum.

As for being "serious" about paddling - whitewater is more of a commitment than paddling (or cycling). It's a lifestyle. There is a higher hurdle to learning the sport, you need (should have) others to paddle with, you have to chase water unless you're lucky enough to live near a reliable dam release river. It just takes more time and commitment. My wife and I used to paddle every weekend. Then we had kids, and that dropped off a lot because we had a min 2 hour drive to decent WW. When they were old enough we bought WW inflatables and did that for several years but they lost interest a couple years ago.

Cycling - road cycling - we can do right from the house. No driving two hours to go ride. Flatwater we can go paddle with a 15 minute drive (after loading the boats!). MTB we can be at the trailhead in 10 minutes. Downhill skiing we can get to in under an hour, and XC in 10 minutes.

As much as I loved paddling whitewater, until I live close to a river or unless the kids get interested, I am probably done with it. Trying to sell the inflatables this year, the hard boats may stay under the deck for another couple years until I'm sure.
billyymc is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 07:58 AM
  #157  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanYQX View Post
Originally Posted by Juha
I've posted this before, but here's my rig. That trailer is a Trayak.

--J

Attachment 446160
That is awesome.
Yes, that is awesome. I've googled and looked at plenty of trailers both commercial and DIY, there's plenty of examples out there. What I want is an easy way to put the bike on the deck of the kayak. I have thoughts of biking 10 or 15 miles up the Allegheny River Trail pulling the kayak, then strapping the bike on the kayak and floating back down to my car. I figure an hour up by bike then probably 2+ hours back down by kayak. Would be a blast and the best of both worlds.

I did see someone had a Kickstarter where he had a trailer that flipped around and wedged/mounted under the cockpit lip. the bike mounted upright on a skewer with the front wheel stowed elsewhere. The bike and trailer contraption looked to hang off the back of the boat quite a lot though. Not sure of the size of the boat he showed.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 11:27 AM
  #158  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how a kayak would handle with a bike hanging off of it, but I do like multi sport days. We did a tour in vegas a couple months back that was a bike ride down to lake Mead and then a paddle around the lake, well worth doing.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 11:43 AM
  #159  
DBrown9383
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy whitewater because it's a gravity sport, all downhill! A cheap way to go is a self bailing duckie. They are easy to paddle and very stable compared to a hard boat but absolutely the worst on flat water. When we do class 3 my wife is always in a duckie. A bombproof roll is a must for anything above class 3 IMHO but complacency will get you in this sport. Walt Blackadar died on a class 3 rapid that most would run w/o hesitation. The drops people are running now is mind blowing. Stuff that was considered unrunable a decade ago is being run daily now but I'm glad I toned it down. I had a good friend drown in a pinning situation 15 years ago, another paddling friend is now paralyzed from the waist down after running a big drop in the wrong place. I think kayaking and biking go hand in hand. You find mostly granola heads in both.
DBrown9383 is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 02:26 PM
  #160  
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 6,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
What I want is an easy way to put the bike on the deck of the kayak.
I do mostly sea kayaking, and there a bike strapped on the deck of the kayak would be... not optimal. You could do it with a canoe, as you don't need much of a trailer there. Just a pair of wheels under the boat, and an attachment point for the towarm in the bow. If you pull it with a folding bike, you'd be pretty much set. (Maybe you could do it with a kayak as well, but I'm pretty hesitant in modifying my kayak for the towarm attachment. Plus, it might not be street legal around where I ride.)

I've thought about getting a tandem kayak, one could probably fit a folding bike plus the disassembled Trayak in the front seat and under the deck. Haven't gone through the trouble of actually figuring out if it would be doable or not.

--J
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 02:36 PM
  #161  
swampboy62
hermit
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd agree that you need a roll if you're paddling above class III. It's helpful below of course, but the swims aren't as rough.

For anyone looking to get into whitewater I'd recommend a river runner in the 8' range. I started with a brand new Pirouette waaaay back then, and would advise that new paddlers try to avoid the absolute old school (long) boats like that. Planing hull (flat bottom) river runners are easy to control and roll, and there are plenty of used ones out there. And if you're unsure, then post on boatertalk and let the serious enthusiasts put in their 2 cents.

As for multi sport - many of the runs I do in western PA/eastern OH are paddle, then bike or hike the shuttle. There are even a couple of places where I can mountain bike back up to the car after the run. Lots and lots of fun, but it makes it for a long day for those of us over 50.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 07:25 PM
  #162  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, enough of you whitewater people

I took a drive after work and found this attached to the top of my car!



It's the Perception Sport Conduit 13 that I may have mentioned above about looking at on Craigslist. Ended up driving quite a lot longer than I thought I was going to to look at it, but it's mine now!

I can't wait, I'm so excited. I don't know if I can wait for warm enough water. Now I need to find a rack that fits my car.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 07:48 PM
  #163  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice boat! Judging by how excited you were earlier in the thread to get out paddling it should have an excellent home with you.

As far as racks go, I have a Sportrack window mounted roof rack on my Corolla and I use Thule J-stackers. Works pretty well.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 08:34 PM
  #164  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanYQX View Post
Nice boat! Judging by how excited you were earlier in the thread to get out paddling it should have an excellent home with you.

As far as racks go, I have a Sportrack window mounted roof rack on my Corolla and I use Thule J-stackers. Works pretty well.
Yeah, there's thousands of different racks out there that fit thousands of different cars that hook into the door frames except for my generation of VW (MKIV). My generation of Jetta has 2 bolts under the weather stripping that a rack mounts to. Makes for a very nice and strong mount, but also makes for a rather expensive rack. Probably the factory rack from VW is the cheapest option. I know I can get off EBay for around $230. They are just limited on width compared to the Thule or Yakima. Those Thule and Yakimas though seem to run close to or over $500!

Window mount won't work. No way I'm giving up my window rain guards. Love having the window 3/4 down and not getting wet in a downpour
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-21-15, 09:04 PM
  #165  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not really window mount, poor choice of words. It clamps onto the roof inside the doors. I think I have $400 ish (CA) in my setup with 3 sets of stackers.

I do definitely prefer the stackers, though, easier to secure the boat, I can clean it out on the car, and it puts it on its side so I can put a bike or a paddle board or whatever on the other half of the car.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 04-25-15, 08:35 PM
  #166  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Girls went to the movies today. I got to play. Figured if I skirt around a few feet off the shore where it's less than waist deep since it's still cold...

Had an absolute blast. So much better than the rentals. At first it felt pretty wobbly. I quickly got use to it. Felt very stable once I got use to it.

This is known as The Hidden River Canoe Trail. Blocked off by a downed tree.



I was planning to just scoot along right at the shoreline in the shelter of the northern coves. I wasn't going to go out into the larger area of the lake (still sticking with the shoreline,) but ended up rounding the corner to the swimming beach. After about 2 hours, had to pull up on the beach and get out and walk around a bit and stretch.



At the end after about 2 hours 40 minutes.



Ran MapMyRide while I was out. New phone and it kept quitting on me. I think I figured it out. I missed some of the trip and some of the trip shot me a straight line across land where I lost and picked up the GPS. Says top speed was 4.8 mph. Had a little trouble tracking straight. I just need to figure out how to adjust the paddling for minor corrections. Nothing like the spinning top of the rentals.

The other test was the new cheap cell phone camera. Not the greatest and not as good as my regular camera, but on par quality wise as my wife's Canon point and shoot (which I don't like at all.) It's a good compromise not having to carry a separate camera though.

I haven't mounted the action cam yet. Got a JVC Adixxion 1080p camera from work. Not sure if I want to wait to get a suction cup mount or just go with the sticky mount.

I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Can't wait to cruise up the Allegheny.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-28-15, 10:22 AM
  #167  
swampboy62
hermit
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Girls went to the movies today. I got to play. Figured if I skirt around a few feet off the shore where it's less than waist deep since it's still cold...

Had an absolute blast. So much better than the rentals. At first it felt pretty wobbly. I quickly got use to it. Felt very stable once I got use to it.

This is known as The Hidden River Canoe Trail. Blocked off by a downed tree
Moraine State Park! I've spent a TON of time on the mtb trail and MUP there, plus that's where my son's Boy Scout troop does their canoe & sailing weekend. Awesome place!

If that's your area and type of paddling you should definitely check out the Shenango River Trail from Pymatuning Reservoir to the Big Bend access area where the river enters Shenango Reservoir. It's a beautiful paddle, with just a couple of teeny riffles to keep it interesting. (BTW I'm the guy who made this map!)

http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/s...nangoRiver.pdf

Are you familiar with the WpaYakkers Facebook page? They're a group of largely flatwater paddlers from the area.

Steve Z
swampboy62 is offline  
Old 04-28-15, 02:30 PM
  #168  
ritepath
Senior Member
 
ritepath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 207

Bikes: CRF150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Jackson Coosa, and my son a Perception pescador 12"
__________________
Love one another
ritepath is offline  
Old 04-28-15, 06:02 PM
  #169  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
Moraine State Park! I've spent a TON of time on the mtb trail and MUP there, plus that's where my son's Boy Scout troop does their canoe & sailing weekend. Awesome place!

If that's your area and type of paddling you should definitely check out the Shenango River Trail from Pymatuning Reservoir to the Big Bend access area where the river enters Shenango Reservoir. It's a beautiful paddle, with just a couple of teeny riffles to keep it interesting. (BTW I'm the guy who made this map!)

http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/s...nangoRiver.pdf

Are you familiar with the WpaYakkers Facebook page? They're a group of largely flatwater paddlers from the area.

Steve Z
Yes, Moraine. I've been riding the paved trail since I was 8 years old. Parents bought a small boat we use to take out there every weekend (back in the 10 hp days trudging along in a 15 foot tri-hull pleasure boat.)

I only live about 7 miles from Emlenton on the Allegheny. That will be my main source of paddling (I ride the ART from Emlenton to the Rockland tunnel almost daily.) Pymatuning, Shenango, Lake Wilhelm will all be destinations of mine. Will probably be joining my wife's uncle who wants to drop in French Creek and paddle to Franklin and down to Emlenton on the Allegheny this year. Little further away, but I hope to check out Raystown Lake over the other direction.

Hoping it's fairly easy to paddle UP the Allegheny River. It's a pretty slow current. Judging by my top speed of 4.8 mph at Moraine first time paddling, I think it will be possible to paddle up current when I master the technique a bit. I did concentrate but it is difficult to keep from bending and pulling at the elbow instead of getting torso rotation. I keep watching video after video of paddling technique.

Thanks for the heads up on the facebook page. I'll check it out. I know of the W.PA Kayak Meetup group.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 04-30-15, 10:25 AM
  #170  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest thing I found to clean my paddling up was keeping the blade tight to the boat and pulling past the hip. Those two cues made a big difference for me.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 04-30-15, 10:27 AM
  #171  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, on the subject of rolls...what's your go to?

I've been learning the sweep roll but I feel like the C to C is going to be more reliable for me.
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 07:42 PM
  #172  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving the kayak thing. Seems it wasn't so easy to paddle up the Allegheny. Attempted to paddle Parker, PA to Foxburg, PA. About 2.5 hours and only made it 2 miles. Pics from the JVC Adixxion action cam (except for the last 2)

On my way from the launch.



Paddle like crazy and couldn't get any closer to making it under the bridge. Had to scoot across and go up the other bank.



Figured I couldn't get through the main part of the river past the island because of the Clarion emptying out there so I figured I'd try the narrow side. Ran into this and couldn't make headway through here either.



Got out and walked around the shallow swift current. Shot showing what I had to walk past.



And the other side, almost smooth as silk.



I was spent. What a workout. Wasn't going to make it to Foxburg which was only another half a mile from where I turned around. At this point I just wanted to circumnavigate the island and float back to the car. I couldn't even do that. Made it to about 100 feet from the tip of the island and couldn't get through the current. 2.5 hours to go the 2 miles up and only took half an hour to float back.

Having a lot of trouble with Mapmyride on my new phone. Stupid thing needs a "you sure you want to cancel" pop-up. This is the 3rd time I've used the current version on my new phone that didn't save. This time I hit save which took me to wanting to upload every photo on my phone with the upload to the website. I didn't want that and it canceled instead of saving without the photos. Grrr, really wanted to see what speed the current was.

Last edited by mrodgers; 05-03-15 at 07:49 PM.
mrodgers is offline  
Old 05-09-15, 06:09 PM
  #173  
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 846

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the winter's last pool training session today. After a technique change in my roll, I'm now happy that it's reliable. For those interested I switched from the sweep style roll to the C to C roll. I kept driving the paddle down into the water when I tried the sweep roll but obviously that isn't a problem with the C to C
EthanYQX is offline  
Old 05-10-15, 09:22 PM
  #174  
nymtber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY state
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: See Signature...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Ok, enough of you whitewater people

I took a drive after work and found this attached to the top of my car!



It's the Perception Sport Conduit 13 that I may have mentioned above about looking at on Craigslist. Ended up driving quite a lot longer than I thought I was going to to look at it, but it's mine now!

I can't wait, I'm so excited. I don't know if I can wait for warm enough water. Now I need to find a rack that fits my car.
I LOVE my Conduit 13! Actually...its my second Conduit 13! I had one back in 2011, but sold it after breaking up with my ex-gf in '12 as kayaking just brought her back on my mind. Well last summer I got the itch for a solo kayak again, and After looking at better kayaks and deciding I just don't kayak THAT much, and I liked the stability speed and handling of the Conduit, I went out and bought one. Again!

Now I'm deciding between paddles. I have a cheap Field and Stream paddle from my first solo kayak... Its so flexy its not funny. Time to upgrade! And, I need a nicer PFD. NEVER paddle without wearing a PFD!
nymtber is offline  
Old 05-11-15, 08:30 AM
  #175  
mrodgers
Senior Member
 
mrodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,633

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
I LOVE my Conduit 13! Actually...its my second Conduit 13! I had one back in 2011, but sold it after breaking up with my ex-gf in '12 as kayaking just brought her back on my mind. Well last summer I got the itch for a solo kayak again, and After looking at better kayaks and deciding I just don't kayak THAT much, and I liked the stability speed and handling of the Conduit, I went out and bought one. Again!

Now I'm deciding between paddles. I have a cheap Field and Stream paddle from my first solo kayak... Its so flexy its not funny. Time to upgrade! And, I need a nicer PFD. NEVER paddle without wearing a PFD!
Cool, us bike folks seem to like the Conduit. As an interest point, I mentioned the bike that is always in the back of my car to the guy I was buying from. He asked where I ride which is the Allegheny Valley Rails to Trails system and it turns out he is the president of Rails to Trails of Central PA. Pretty cool.

Was out Saturday at the lake. I have been reading about cold water all winter long and how you dress for immersion. I read the fishing report site that has an estimated water temperature. It's still listed pretty freakin cold at 58. I would have looked really silly wearing cold water clothing with all the people I saw jumping off boats and the hundreds I saw at the swim beach in the water, LOL. I don't know what the water temp was, but I do know the week before the Allegheny River was 52 as I took my pool thermometer with me. I can't see water temps rising up that much in a week to be comfortable swimming in.

A 50 mile race was being held at the lake. As I was unloading the boat from the roof on the side, a stream of runners were coming down the road and running straight off the dock. It was like watching a cartoon where the cartoon character just runs straight off a cliff, LOL.

Yesterday I went to check out a lake just down the road from me. Turns out about half of it is marked off as propagation area so admittance is restricted. I was coming back around the dock area and was 30 seconds too late. I heard kids yelling and making a ruckus on the dock and spotted 2 bald eagles swooping down to the water right directly in front of them. They got quite a show but I just couldn't capture them in time. They were up and flying away as I rounded the dock. Can barely see them near the center of the pic.

I'm fascinated with bald eagles. Never saw one until plenty into adulthood and now I have at least 7 of them in the areas I roam on the bike and in the kayak.




Last edited by mrodgers; 05-11-15 at 08:34 AM.
mrodgers is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.