Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

New member restrictions

Old 07-03-20, 11:29 AM
  #1  
Nick68620
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member restrictions

I understand there must be a lot of spam posted hear, but the new member restrictions are going to hurt engagement more than spammers!

Telling a new member they must have 10 posts prior to being able to post pics/links and then restricting each new member to 5 responses or posts in the first 24 hours on top of that? Not to mention, the restriction not allowing new members to private message at all, even if they have a message showing in their inbox!

I joined this forum for feedback to a question I had, so I posted my question, answered a few comments but then ran out of responses to anyone who has written on my post. On top of that, new members cannot private message! How is someone to engage as a new member and really connect with what this group has to offer? Any recreational group online or in person has a short time to gain member attention/interest for long term engagement and being so restrictive is a HUGE turn off.
Nick68620 is offline  
Old 07-04-20, 05:53 AM
  #2  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,887
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 578 Posts
IME, most people who have something useful to contribute haven't had an issue. Their knowledge and insight aren't diminished by waiting a few days to share.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-04-20, 03:19 PM
  #3  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,008

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick68620 View Post
I understand there must be a lot of spam posted hear, but the new member restrictions are going to hurt engagement more than spammers!
You have no idea how wrong this assumption really is. In the past I personally have spent hours and hours of my personal, unpaid, volunteer time banning hundreds of spammers in one day. Yes, HUNDREDS. Many forums have been so swamped with spam that the site has been abandoned. We don't want that to happen to us.

Originally Posted by Nick68620 View Post
Telling a new member they must have 10 posts prior to being able to post pics/links and then restricting each new member to 5 responses or posts in the first 24 hours on top of that? Not to mention, the restriction not allowing new members to private message at all, even if they have a message showing in their inbox!
Again, spammers have used the PM system to spam forum members. Those two minor restrictions give us time to sniff out most of the spammers before they ever get a chance to send out their stuff.

Originally Posted by Nick68620 View Post
I joined this forum for feedback to a question I had, so I posted my question, answered a few comments but then ran out of responses to anyone who has written on my post. On top of that, new members cannot private message! How is someone to engage as a new member and really connect with what this group has to offer? Any recreational group online or in person has a short time to gain member attention/interest for long term engagement and being so restrictive is a HUGE turn off.
Most of our new forum members have no issue with going to our Introductions forum and telling us a bit about themselves. After that they say hello to a few other new forum members and they are fully in. Only takes two days.
cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-04-20, 05:49 PM
  #4  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,434

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12327 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 799 Posts
If someone just got a bike and has a problem or question and joined to get a quick answer, I can understand frustration at having to wait 2-3 days to post a picture of the issue etc., but realize most members here are long-term residents who like the fact that there is minimal spam etc.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-17-20, 02:47 PM
  #5  
cvrle1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
While I understand why you are doing this, and other forums do it as well, for topic specific forum it is kinda hard to get to 10 posts when you are new and dont know much about topics of discussion. As an example, I cant add anything useful to 99% of threads in the forum, and I dont want to just post for the sake of posting to get to that 10 post count. I would like to post a thread about new bike that I got, post pics and and ask questions, but since I cant post pics until 10th post, it is pointless to start new thread until then. Catch 22 sort of a thing
cvrle1 is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 06:42 PM
  #6  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,008

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
While I understand why you are doing this, and other forums do it as well, for topic specific forum it is kinda hard to get to 10 posts when you are new and dont know much about topics of discussion. As an example, I cant add anything useful to 99% of threads in the forum, and I dont want to just post for the sake of posting to get to that 10 post count. I would like to post a thread about new bike that I got, post pics and and ask questions, but since I cant post pics until 10th post, it is pointless to start new thread until then. Catch 22 sort of a thing
What kind of bike did you buy?
cb400bill is offline  
Old 07-18-20, 09:13 PM
  #7  
cvrle1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
What kind of bike did you buy?
Sorry, would have answered yesterday, but reached my 5 posts a day limit lol.

It is Cannondale R600-Sport. Just posted new thread and bunch of pics about it: 1st bike in 15+ years, 1st road bike ever, wish me luck
cvrle1 is offline  
Likes For cvrle1:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.