Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Restarting my velo

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Restarting my velo

Old 05-17-20, 03:03 AM
  #1  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Restarting my velo

I double-checked the weight of my velo frame, discovered that the scale I was using looped COMPLETELY around, and that the frame thus far probably weighed over 300 lbs. No wonder I could barely lift it.

So I'm abandoning that frame and restarting from scratch.

One thing I want to do before I build anything is get the stuff I can't build organized first, so I can work with what I do build. So, first off--does anyone know where I can get a good recumbent seat?

Also, is it okay to post a link to the page that has the design (which is right now a work in progress)?
MrInitialMan is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 06:48 AM
  #2  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 490 Posts
A link is fine

Google search returns many hits for "recumbent seats" Not sure about Canada though.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 02:09 PM
  #3  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 13,960

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 485 Posts
The simple solution is to buy a used recumbent off Craig's List/ebay for it's seat. Then resell the rest to recoup as much as possible, or keep for your projects. There's a few recumbent specific shops out there too. If you were in southern Ontario The Bicycle Man in Alford Station NY would b e only a few hours away.

Years ago Captain Dan Henry used up turned drop bars with a fabric sling across the "drops" as a seat. The commercial version was called "the Bummer" IIRC. Another drop bar located against the back served on his home made recumbent Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 03:48 PM
  #4  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
The simple solution is to buy a used recumbent off Craig's List/ebay for it's seat. Then resell the rest to recoup as much as possible, or keep for your projects. There's a few recumbent specific shops out there too. If you were in southern Ontario The Bicycle Man in Alford Station NY would b e only a few hours away.

Years ago Captain Dan Henry used up turned drop bars with a fabric sling across the "drops" as a seat. The commercial version was called "the Bummer" IIRC. Another drop bar located against the back served on his home made recumbent Andy
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep trying until I either get something that can ship to Canada, or find someone willing to sell just a seat.
MrInitialMan is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 04:25 PM
  #5  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 490 Posts
I saw seats for very little money.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 04:43 PM
  #6  
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
 
Steamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: high ground
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep trying until I either get something that can ship to Canada, or find someone willing to sell just a seat.
Contact AD Carson at RecyledRecumbent. He will make you a mesh seat to order, pretty affordably too.
Steamer is offline  
Likes For Steamer:
Old 05-17-20, 05:30 PM
  #7  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Contact AD Carson at RecyledRecumbent. He will make you a mesh seat to order, pretty affordably too.
Thank you. I just emailed him.

Or maybe I'll just use a seat from an ATV.
MrInitialMan is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 08:42 AM
  #8  
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
 
Steamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: high ground
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
Or maybe I'll just use a seat from an ATV.
Probably a lot of added weight and not designed for sitting on it while pedaling. You need to be at least a little sensitive to the weight issue as you go. Even a 100 lb. machine won't be any damn fun to ride.
Steamer is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 11:33 AM
  #9  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,199

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
Thank you. I just emailed him.

Or maybe I'll just use a seat from an ATV.
weight...... too much, IIRC from the past this thing has been a beast in terms of weight with lots of complexity with supsention etc. Build it light and use big tires....avoid complexity

the design principle here should be KISS Keep It Simple Silly

these maybe be of interest





__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-20-20, 01:09 PM
  #10  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
weight...... too much, IIRC from the past this thing has been a beast in terms of weight with lots of complexity with supsention etc. Build it light and use big tires....avoid complexity

the design principle here should be KISS Keep It Simple Silly

these maybe be of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22CBtPuw6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZWC1PeReA

Those were indeed interesting. I'm seriously simplifying the rear suspension (a simple leaf spring setup). The issue I see with a LOT of velomobiles is they're too small--I need something I can toss my toolbox or saxophone, or groceries (or groceries AND saxophone) in the back. I do busking, so I do want to be able to carry my instruments around without them getting damaged (including rained on or bumped around.)

Though I didn't realize there are axles strong enough to be supported from only one side.
MrInitialMan is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 02:29 PM
  #11  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,199

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
Those were indeed interesting. I'm seriously simplifying the rear suspension (a simple leaf spring setup). The issue I see with a LOT of velomobiles is they're too small--I need something I can toss my toolbox or saxophone, or groceries (or groceries AND saxophone) in the back. I do busking, so I do want to be able to carry my instruments around without them getting damaged (including rained on or bumped around.)

Though I didn't realize there are axles strong enough to be supported from only one side.
how do you envision building leaf springs and their weight? again weight

consider for your needs a bike/or trike and a trailer..... you can handle more weight pulling a trailer than loaded on a single velo and at lighter fixed weight

https://www.aosom.com/item/aosom-wan...hoCHrcQAvD_BwE

https://www.rei.com/c/bike-trailers-for-cargo
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
squirtdad is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 02:33 PM
  #12  
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Layton, UT
Posts: 1,464

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 322 Posts
I would start with a trike and just build a shell first. That's what most velo home builders do, for good reason.

Also, there is a whole specific forum for homebuilders on bentrider.com that has a lot of people with experience specifically with trikes and velos if you want a lot of good advice.
Notso_fastLane is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 09:29 AM
  #13  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
I would start with a trike and just build a shell first.
... A pedal-powered Reliant Robin is not what I had in mind. More seriously, trikes make me feel a little nervous, which is why I'm building a quad.

Also, I am quite portly, to put it mildlly, and a lot of these velos look pretty flimsy to me.

One last thing--this video shows why I'm adding suspension:

Note where he mentions a broken frame!

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 05-21-20 at 10:22 AM.
MrInitialMan is offline  
Likes For MrInitialMan:
Old 05-21-20, 04:32 PM
  #14  
wsteve464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
... A pedal-powered Reliant Robin is not what I had in mind. More seriously, trikes make me feel a little nervous, which is why I'm building a quad.

Also, I am quite portly, to put it mildlly, and a lot of these velos look pretty flimsy to me.

Note where he mentions a broken frame!
Make the frame out of .035 4130 tubing and weld/braze it properly you won't have a problem. The guy in the video needs to learn how to weld.
wsteve464 is offline  
Old 05-22-20, 04:21 AM
  #15  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464 View Post
Make the frame out of .035 4130 tubing and weld/braze it properly you won't have a problem. The guy in the video needs to learn how to weld.
Looks like you'd still get bounced around on the roads...
MrInitialMan is offline  
Old 05-22-20, 07:18 AM
  #16  
wsteve464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by MrInitialMan View Post
Looks like you'd still get bounced around on the roads...
Yes if you make the frame to wheel/axle connection solid. The cheapest way to reduce vibration is run bigger tires with lower pressure ie 2 inch mtb tires, another put some kind of elastomer betwen the frame and axles to absorb the bumps. If you want springs consider using low end mtb springs and shocks with an independent suspension, Google 4 wheel off road bicycles.
wsteve464 is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 04:01 AM
  #17  
MrInitialMan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MrInitialMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 180

Bikes: Best described as "What is that?!"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've been doing up a page that's somewhat of a blueprint for what I have in mind.

This is what I've got thus far. CarCycle Design

I will fully admit it's not the most well-designed, or lightest frame, but I don't have access to plastic moulding or a wind tunnel, and like I've said before, I'm definately on the hefty side, so I need something sturdy and stable

UPDATE: Or is my issue here simply underestimating how strong steel is?

Last edited by MrInitialMan; 05-24-20 at 07:55 PM.
MrInitialMan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.