Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig

Old 05-13-22, 10:12 AM
  #1  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,305

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,380 Posts
Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig

Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.

__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 05-13-22, 06:11 PM
  #2  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16,141

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,328 Posts
I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 10:59 AM
  #3  
duanedr 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54319503@N05/
https://www.draper-cycles.com
duanedr is offline  
Likes For duanedr:
Old 05-15-22, 11:01 AM
  #4  
duanedr 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.
Replying to your post so you get notified.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54319503@N05/
https://www.draper-cycles.com
duanedr is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 11:08 AM
  #5  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,305

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy
Damn, missed hooking up with you!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 11:10 AM
  #6  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,305

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr View Post
I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.
Originally Posted by duanedr View Post
Replying to your post so you get notified.
I found an incepi online and ordered it. If it gets back ordered, I'll take you up on your offer, thanks!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 01:34 PM
  #7  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16,141

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3378 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,328 Posts
Mark- I would be interested in your experiences with the Incepi after you used it. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 05-15-22, 06:10 PM
  #8  
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly
 
bulgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 359 Posts
Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B
bulgie is offline  
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-16-22, 02:05 AM
  #9  
guy153
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie View Post
Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B
I did that on my (so far) one disk fork. Worked for me (TIG tacking). So many ways to screw things up with all the different standards out there it's quite nice to work with the actual caliper and disk you're going to use when you're tacking it. That way nothing can go wrong. Well, less can go wrong anyway!
guy153 is offline  
Likes For guy153:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.