Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

QR Conversion

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

QR Conversion

Old 11-14-23, 05:16 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QR Conversion

I want to convert my QR frame to thru bolt.
Im thinking of going with 10mm 100mm front and 135mm rear.
My idea is to tig weld a suitable threaded nut to the dropout on one side of the fork and the stay, and another nut with the thread drilled out to the dropout on other side of both.
Is this feasible? I realise tolerances and alignment will be important!

Last edited by Rogbot; 11-14-23 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Add more information
Rogbot is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 10:00 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 17,898

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4123 Post(s)
Liked 3,683 Times in 2,212 Posts
Yes, it is quite possible and with due care quite feasible. But is it cost effective, will the results be good enough to trust structurally or be well enough aligned to work well is a big question. These aspects are beyond our control and not knowing you we really cant speak to your ability to do this "properly". For this reason I am out. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 06:11 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 9,766

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked 2,657 Times in 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogbot
I want to convert my QR frame to thru bolt.
Im thinking of going with 10mm 100mm front and 135mm rear.
My idea is to tig weld a suitable threaded nut to the dropout on one side of the fork and the stay, and another nut with the thread drilled out to the dropout on other side of both.
Is this feasible? I realise tolerances and alignment will be important!
does the current fork have disc brakes? if not, it is likely the fork is not strong enough for disc brakes.

also 100/135 is not current standard of 100/142 which may add complications

What is the frame you want to do this to?
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
(looking for Torpado Super light frame/fork or for Raleigh International frame fork 58cm)



squirtdad is online now  
Old 11-15-23, 04:24 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
does the current fork have disc brakes? if not, it is likely the fork is not strong enough for disc brakes.

also 100/135 is not current standard of 100/142 which may add complications

What is the frame you want to do this to?
The frame is a 2012 Kona Sutra. It is disc brakes and very sturdy. I want to go with 135 at the rear so I dont have to cold set the frame.
Rogbot is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 04:30 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, it is quite possible and with due care quite feasible. But is it cost effective, will the results be good enough to trust structurally or be well enough aligned to work well is a big question. These aspects are beyond our control and not knowing you we really cant speak to your ability to do this "properly". For this reason I am out. Andy
I think I will give it ago. I dont think there are too many 10mm thru axel dropouts available and I don't have oxy gear so the brazing option is out. I will post if it is successful
Rogbot is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.