Bike Forums

Bike Forums (
-   Framebuilders (
-   -   Downtube crashed. Is it possible to change??? (

CICLISMO_URBANO 01-15-11 12:58 AM

Downtube crashed. Is it possible to change???
I know this guy that has a Specialized Allez made by Mr. Yoshi Konno. So he is very upset now because he crashed it. The damage was done under the downtube.

Is it possible to repair it?
Change downtube completely? And if so would it be same riding quality?

schooner 01-15-11 04:29 PM

I would have him take it to a framebuilder and have it checked to make sure it is just the downtube first. After that, I am guessing this is one of the nice old lugged Specializeds? If so, the framebuilder can replace the dt as close to the original spec as possible. An exact tubing match may not be possible, but the tube diameter and butting profile is 95% of ride quality, metalurgy just doesnt have that much to do with how it feels on the road. So a similarly speced dt replacement should ride pretty much the same.

CICLISMO_URBANO 01-16-11 07:13 PM

Thank you for the reply! Does it necessary have to be a framebuilder to take a look at it? Or a good mechanic can do that? Do you know any framebuider in California? preferably Los Angeles.

fietsbob 01-17-11 12:37 AM

a list :

schooner 01-17-11 08:22 PM

Pretty much has to be a framebuilder, most shops are not set up for frame repairs that require torch work. They might be able to straighten a dropout or something, but thats about it. They definitely arent going to replace tubes for you. You'll also want the alignment checked after the work is done, and a framebuilder would be able to do that as well.

Here is another list that might help you find someone to help -

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.