Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Split miles

Old 07-23-15, 08:23 PM
  #1  
intransit1217
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
intransit1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kenosha , Wi
Posts: 1,223

Bikes: 2013 specializes secure sport, Salsa vaya, Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Split miles

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to say, getting 20 miles in the morning then 30 in the pm as opposed to doing a whole 50 in one shot?

Or less rides more miles vs more rides at shorter miles?
intransit1217 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 08:48 PM
  #2  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,884

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Benefit depends on how much aerobic fitness you want. Maybe for overall conditioning, you really don't need to go 50 miles. It takes up a lot of time that could be used for something else.

In the summer months, you want to get in as much riding as possible. Maybe then the goal is different. Add an organized century ride as a goal, and that 50-75 mile ride is a must.

If all you do is 20-30 miles per ride and only once in any given day, then that's about what your body will become accustomed to do. Try to go beyond that like 60 at one time, and your body will let you know it.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:59 PM
  #3  
raceboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: By theBeach and Palos Verdes, CA adjacent
Posts: 437

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with Garfield. Mix it up depending on your schedule. Some days I just ride my bike commute of 20 miles RT. If I have an afternoon off, I'll roll another 20-30. If I have a free day on the weekend, I'll do a single 40-70--sometimes 90+ mile ride if time and desire allow. Some days are pretty much all flat, others have 10 miles or more of climbing. I try to take one day a week off with no workouts and get a yoga and weight training session in for strength.

Basically, my body never knows what I'm going to do next! It seems to be working so far...
raceboy is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 06:02 AM
  #4  
intransit1217
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
intransit1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kenosha , Wi
Posts: 1,223

Bikes: 2013 specializes secure sport, Salsa vaya, Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh yeah. I mix it up when time allows. I'm probably down on speedwork/ intervals at the moment though. But I've got 65 hilly ones coming at me on Saturday. I'll probably be pretty beat up afterwards.
intransit1217 is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 07:08 AM
  #5  
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 1,538

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something is better than nothing so do what you can. Throw those long single ride days in when possible and enjoy riding !
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 09:28 AM
  #6  
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217 View Post
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to say, getting 20 miles in the morning then 30 in the pm as opposed to doing a whole 50 in one shot?

Or less rides more miles vs more rides at shorter miles?

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Benefit depends on how much aerobic fitness you want. Maybe for overall conditioning, you really don't need to go 50 miles. It takes up a lot of time that could be used for something else.

In the summer months, you want to get in as much riding as possible. Maybe then the goal is different. Add an organized century ride as a goal, and that 50-75 mile ride is a must.

If all you do is 20-30 miles per ride and only once in any given day, then that's about what your body will become accustomed to do. Try to go beyond that like 60 at one time, and your body will let you know it.
I can think of two advantages of one long ride vs split miles. For myself, I find that to be completely warmed up, it requires about six miles, so only one warm-up is required. Secondly, I think that if training for a long ride, one has to toughen up down there where you sit, and I think that requires extended, continuous time in the saddle; I calI it…ahem...uh...“pounding the perineum.”
Jim from Boston is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 10:08 AM
  #7  
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 8,401

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From an aerobic benefit, probably a wash (or close enough).

But as mentioned, it depends on your goals, and also on the time you have available to ride.

Along with conditioning for longer rides, you may want to consider the time taken to change clothes, clean up, etc., which will decrease with a single long ride... but that is only relevant if you are in a time crunch.

But, you could be more refreshed and enjoy the ride more if you split it up. And unless there is a driving reason otherwise, isn't that the real reason to ride?
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 03:23 PM
  #8  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,655

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 88 Posts
When I was training for tri's (20 years ago mind you), we were "told" that as the metabolism of the body doesn't shut of for a time after a workout, that training twice a day, morning and late afternoon, was more beneficial as a fat burner. If that's a goal.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 11:16 PM
  #9  
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 3,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Something is better than nothing so do what you can. Throw those long single ride days in when possible and enjoy riding !
This is the key for me. I've been riding since college in the '70s, and for awhile I was speed-obsessed--if I wasn't faster than yesterday, I felt guilty. I still push occasionally, but really I just enjoy getting out on the bike.
Velo Dog is offline  
Old 07-25-15, 10:57 AM
  #10  
Drew Eckhardt 
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 5,831
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
If all you do is 20-30 miles per ride and only once in any given day, then that's about what your body will become accustomed to do. Try to go beyond that like 60 at one time, and your body will let you know it.
Hardly. In the absence of fit, food, and hydration issues there's a lot of latitude in how you spend your fitness.

You can go from shorter hard rides to longer easier ones. I usually rode 25-30 miles a day with three fast days a week and nothing over 50 miles when I did my first century, and followed that up with a week riding 418 miles and 28,000 vertical feet over the Colorado Rockies.

You can go from frequent shorter frequent rides to longer less frequent ones. After getting back in shape at age 42 I swapped my usual 30 mile Friday and Saturday rides for a 2400' metric century.

No problems in any of those cases.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
Old 07-25-15, 01:08 PM
  #11  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,884

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Hardly. In the absence of fit, food, and hydration issues there's a lot of latitude in how you spend your fitness.

You can go from shorter hard rides to longer easier ones. I usually rode 25-30 miles a day with three fast days a week and nothing over 50 miles when I did my first century, and followed that up with a week riding 418 miles and 28,000 vertical feet over the Colorado Rockies.

You can go from frequent shorter frequent rides to longer less frequent ones. After getting back in shape at age 42 I swapped my usual 30 mile Friday and Saturday rides for a 2400' metric century.

No problems in any of those cases.
That means the shorter must be harder and the longer must be easier. There's no other way in your scenario.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 07-25-15, 01:31 PM
  #12  
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Posts: 6,163

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
If all you do is 20-30 miles per ride and only once in any given day, then that's about what your body will become accustomed to do. Try to go beyond that like 60 at one time, and your body will let you know it.
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Something is better than nothing so do what you can. Throw those long single ride days in when possible and enjoy riding!
+1 to both of you!

Long rides are what it takes to log the big miles. And in the Midwest where I live... we have a limited number of decent cycling days. So good days must be taken advantage of. But... on the other hand.... a few minutes on the saddle between rain drops or before/after the midday heat... is good for the soul.

If the weather, time, and my body allows.... I go for the 40 mile ride. If limited... I'll settle for 25, 20, or even a 16 mile ride. And if I really don't have time or the weather isn't desirable... I'll grab the rain bike for a quick ride to nowhere. Because everyday is better if it includes a bicycle ride.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 07-25-15, 07:53 PM
  #13  
intransit1217
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
intransit1217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kenosha , Wi
Posts: 1,223

Bikes: 2013 specializes secure sport, Salsa vaya, Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
+1 to both of you!

Long rides are what it takes to log the big miles. And in the Midwest where I live... we have a limited number of decent cycling days. So good days must be taken advantage of. But... on the other hand.... a few minutes on the saddle between rain drops or before/after the midday heat... is good for the soul.

If the weather, time, and my body allows.... I go for the 40 mile ride. If limited... I'll settle for 25, 20, or even a 16 mile ride. And if I really don't have time or the weather isn't desirable... I'll grab the rain bike for a quick ride to nowhere. Because everyday is better if it includes a bicycle ride.
Amen brother !

Today was 63 with a bunch of 6 to 17 percent short climbs. Eighth to quarter mile in length. And the humidity was bad. I feel pretty beat up. But i'll be stronger for it. AFTER a good recovery period. Gonna pass out now.
intransit1217 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
maartendc
Training & Nutrition
13
02-27-17 11:37 AM
SunFlower
Training & Nutrition
20
08-24-16 08:29 AM
SecondChildhood
Training & Nutrition
7
06-10-13 05:17 AM
poperszky
Fifty Plus (50+)
19
01-12-11 06:58 PM
AMRD V
Road Cycling
10
06-08-10 04:33 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.