Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Bar End Shifters (https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1024207-bar-end-shifters.html)

richietables 08-10-15 09:19 PM

Bar End Shifters
 
Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

bikemig 08-10-15 09:22 PM

8 speed bar end shifter, Amazon.com : Shimano SL-BS64 Ultegra Bar End Shifter Set (8-Speed) : Bike Shifters And Parts : Sports & Outdoors

Jeff Wills 08-10-15 09:37 PM

No! Stop! 8-speed Ultegra uses different indexing than 8-speed Dura-Ace: Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

However, any Shimano 9-speed shifter, including bar-ends, will operate 8-speed Dura-Ace properly. There's lots of them on Ebay.

richietables 08-10-15 09:40 PM

Thanks for that, Jeff- I thought there was something different about the Dura Ace 8. Nice catch...

Jeff Wills 08-10-15 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by richietables (Post 18064060)
Thanks for that, Jeff- I thought there was something different about the Dura Ace 8. Nice catch...

Ain't no big thang. I'm just your ordinary, average, obsessive-complusive ex-bike-mechanic with nothing else to do but spend time on the Internet. Want to see photos of my cat?

richietables 08-10-15 09:49 PM

I'm quite allergic to cats but I do like to ride my bike--- Now I'm off to search for a deal on Dura Ace 8 or any Shimano 9 bar end shifters. On my road bike I've been riding 8 speed Campy for 20 years and have lots of parts lying around. Shimano is a different language to me, capisce?

loky1179 08-10-15 09:51 PM


Originally Posted by richietables (Post 18064016)
Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Are you telling me that grip-shift made 8 speed Dura-ace compatible shifters? Who'd have thunk it.

richietables 08-10-15 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by loky1179 (Post 18064085)
Are you telling me that grip-shift made 8 speed Dura-ace compatible shifters? Who'd have thunk it.

Yep- And in a week or two I'll have a pair for sale! It always ticked me off how much of a twist I had to use to get back to the big ring in front.... If I didn't grip it at the right angle it kept slipping back to the small ring. Especially fun with wet hands from the swim....

Jeff Wills 08-10-15 10:18 PM


Originally Posted by richietables (Post 18064079)
I'm quite allergic to cats but I do like to ride my bike--- Now I'm off to search for a deal on Dura Ace 8 or any Shimano 9 bar end shifters. On my road bike I've been riding 8 speed Campy for 20 years and have lots of parts lying around. Shimano is a different language to me, capisce?

Si, signore...

bikemig 08-11-15 12:38 AM


Originally Posted by Jeff Wills (Post 18064052)
No! Stop! 8-speed Ultegra uses different indexing than 8-speed Dura-Ace: Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

However, any Shimano 9-speed shifter, including bar-ends, will operate 8-speed Dura-Ace properly. There's lots of them on Ebay.

Thanks; I thought that the non-compatibility stopped after 7 speed.

And here it is, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

fietsbob 08-11-15 08:17 AM

the badging /box label; Dura Ace got applied to the 9 'speed' , Ultegra, the 8. Detent spacing the difference.

In the right shifter, the piece with the notches that make the index points, does wear out, so buying used , beware.

ltxi 08-11-15 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by Jeff Wills (Post 18064070)
Ain't no big thang. I'm just your ordinary, average, obsessive-complusive ex-bike-mechanic with nothing else to do but spend time on the Internet. Want to see photos of my cat?

:)

jfowler85 08-11-15 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by richietables (Post 18064016)
Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

My 10 spd DA barends can switch to friction. Also ran 9 spd DA bar ends on a 7 speed freewheel a few years ago by the same method.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.