Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bar End Shifters

Old 08-10-15, 09:19 PM
  #1  
richietables 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar End Shifters

Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
richietables is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:22 PM
  #2  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,266

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5018 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,007 Posts
8 speed bar end shifter, Amazon.com : Shimano SL-BS64 Ultegra Bar End Shifter Set (8-Speed) : Bike Shifters And Parts : Sports & Outdoors
bikemig is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:37 PM
  #3  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,518
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 195 Posts
No! Stop! 8-speed Ultegra uses different indexing than 8-speed Dura-Ace: Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

However, any Shimano 9-speed shifter, including bar-ends, will operate 8-speed Dura-Ace properly. There's lots of them on Ebay.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:40 PM
  #4  
richietables 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that, Jeff- I thought there was something different about the Dura Ace 8. Nice catch...
richietables is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:43 PM
  #5  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,518
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by richietables View Post
Thanks for that, Jeff- I thought there was something different about the Dura Ace 8. Nice catch...
Ain't no big thang. I'm just your ordinary, average, obsessive-complusive ex-bike-mechanic with nothing else to do but spend time on the Internet. Want to see photos of my cat?
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:49 PM
  #6  
richietables 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm quite allergic to cats but I do like to ride my bike--- Now I'm off to search for a deal on Dura Ace 8 or any Shimano 9 bar end shifters. On my road bike I've been riding 8 speed Campy for 20 years and have lots of parts lying around. Shimano is a different language to me, capisce?
richietables is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:51 PM
  #7  
loky1179 
Senior Member
 
loky1179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 970

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by richietables View Post
Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Are you telling me that grip-shift made 8 speed Dura-ace compatible shifters? Who'd have thunk it.
loky1179 is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 09:53 PM
  #8  
richietables 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179 View Post
Are you telling me that grip-shift made 8 speed Dura-ace compatible shifters? Who'd have thunk it.
Yep- And in a week or two I'll have a pair for sale! It always ticked me off how much of a twist I had to use to get back to the big ring in front.... If I didn't grip it at the right angle it kept slipping back to the small ring. Especially fun with wet hands from the swim....
richietables is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 10:18 PM
  #9  
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Posts: 9,518
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by richietables View Post
I'm quite allergic to cats but I do like to ride my bike--- Now I'm off to search for a deal on Dura Ace 8 or any Shimano 9 bar end shifters. On my road bike I've been riding 8 speed Campy for 20 years and have lots of parts lying around. Shimano is a different language to me, capisce?
Si, signore...
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 12:38 AM
  #10  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,266

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5018 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
No! Stop! 8-speed Ultegra uses different indexing than 8-speed Dura-Ace: Shimano Dura-Ace Compatibility

However, any Shimano 9-speed shifter, including bar-ends, will operate 8-speed Dura-Ace properly. There's lots of them on Ebay.
Thanks; I thought that the non-compatibility stopped after 7 speed.

And here it is, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Last edited by bikemig; 08-11-15 at 12:42 AM.
bikemig is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 08:17 AM
  #11  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,310 Times in 823 Posts
the badging /box label; Dura Ace got applied to the 9 'speed' , Ultegra, the 8. Detent spacing the difference.

In the right shifter, the piece with the notches that make the index points, does wear out, so buying used , beware.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-11-15 at 08:22 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 05:16 PM
  #12  
ltxi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
Ain't no big thang. I'm just your ordinary, average, obsessive-complusive ex-bike-mechanic with nothing else to do but spend time on the Internet. Want to see photos of my cat?
ltxi is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 05:30 PM
  #13  
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richietables View Post
Thought I'd post here as it will get more traffic than the triathlon forum.

I'm looking to switch away from my old 'grip shift' round twisty shifters on my aerobars--- Just want to go to bar end shifter levers. I don't want to spend too much getting my old (1997 Quintana Roo) tri bike back on the road but this one aspect was never comfortable. My question is that of compatibility: I have 8 speed Dura Ace.... I would like to keep the indexing for the rear. How specific do I need to get? Do I need to find 8 speed Dura Ace or with something else work as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rich
My 10 spd DA barends can switch to friction. Also ran 9 spd DA bar ends on a 7 speed freewheel a few years ago by the same method.
jfowler85 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Banzai
Bicycle Mechanics
9
09-23-19 09:22 AM
spectastic
Bicycle Mechanics
11
09-14-16 08:29 PM
Caymandiver1
Triathlon
3
01-23-16 08:01 AM
icepick_trotsky
Classic & Vintage
23
05-02-15 07:18 AM
pbmiata
Classic & Vintage
12
02-19-11 06:26 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.