Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you heard of it: 2015 Felt V95f

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you heard of it: 2015 Felt V95f

Old 09-09-15, 02:03 PM
  #1  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you heard of it: 2015 Felt V95f

Hey All,

I want to pull the trigger on a road bike but do want to have the luxury of occasionally going on some dirt roads so I've been leaning towards a hybrid. I'm getting a pretty decent deal on the 2015 FELT V95f and was wondering if you gurus can chime in on this. I plan on doing lots of long rides (~50 miles a day at least). Also the deal is for a 56cm while I'm 6'1 so I think it's cutting it close. I read a lot of descriptions with some places online listing this bike with a carbon fork but I'm pretty sure it's an aluminum. I wasn't able to get many reviews so hoping you all would know if I should go ahead with this.

I'm a sucker for the hydraulic brakes.

Thanks for any input!


More details on the ride:

2015 Felt V95f - Components and Reviews

Felt Bicycles V95F - Join the Revolution! | Specializing in bicycle sales and service for DC, VA, & MD (says carbon fork??)

2015 Felt V95F - Triathlon LAB (alum fork??)
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 02:06 PM
  #2  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 31,493

Bikes: 2010 Catrike Expedition, 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 135 Posts
Get a 58-61mm for a good fit.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 02:14 PM
  #3  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,795

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I know that look: it appears to be Felt's Z85/95 comfort/endurance alloy triangle (definitely 2015 frame colors) with a bit longer chainstay (probably for a longer wheelbase and to accommodate bigger tires) and comes equipped with flat bars. The 61 probably would not be too large. For a 56 frame it wouldn't surprise me if you had to purchase a 400 mm setback seatpost.

Last edited by McBTC; 09-09-15 at 02:21 PM.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 02:22 PM
  #4  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Get a 58-61mm for a good fit.
Thanks for the input but I'm only getting a deal on the 56cm. Should I pass it up? I think it goes for about ~800 I'm getting it for ~600.

Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
I know that look: it appears to be Felt's Z85/95 comfort/endurance alloy triangle (definitely 2015 frame colors) with a bit longer chainstay (probably for a longer wheelbase and to accommodate bigger tires) and comes equipped with flat bars. The 61 probably would not be too large. For a 56 frame it wouldn't surprise me if you had to purchase a 400 mm setback seatpost.
Ah, not sure what that is but I can google it. Do you have a link for the actual one I'd probably need so I can factor that into the cost- appreciate it!
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 03:00 PM
  #5  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,795

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
Thanks for the input but I'm only getting a deal on the 56cm. Should I pass it up? I think it goes for about ~800 I'm getting it for ~600.



Ah, not sure what that is but I can google it. Do you have a link for the actual one I'd probably need so I can factor that into the cost- appreciate it!
Ah, not sure what that is but I can google it. Do you have a link for the actual one I'd probably need so I can factor that into the cost- appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Here's the V85: V85 - Felt Bicycles

The sizing chart says 56/58 for the "Z." My problem with Felt's sizing chart is that for me at 6'3" it says 58/61 and 61 works fine but 63 probably would be better. The 61 is, however, as biggest frame Felt has so it's 'gotta work, whether you're 6'2" or 6'5."

So, given a chart that says 56/58 for you, my guess is that you'd probably be better off with a 58. Even so, if you had a 61 -- perhaps with a shorter stem and moving the seat forward if it seemed a little big -- you might find that it also fits well and maybe fits great and without so much exposed seatpost.

The CF 300 mm post for my 61c Z85 was maxed out but a longer alloy Ritchey post took care of that problem with a little extra to beef up the frame where the seat stay joins the top bar.


Last edited by McBTC; 09-09-15 at 03:09 PM.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 03:29 PM
  #6  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
Ah, not sure what that is but I can google it. Do you have a link for the actual one I'd probably need so I can factor that into the cost- appreciate it!
Here's the V85: V85 - Felt Bicycles

The sizing chart says 56/58 for the "Z." My problem with Felt's sizing chart is that for me at 6'3" it says 58/61 and 61 works fine but 63 probably would be better. The 61 is, however, as biggest frame Felt has so it's 'gotta work, whether you're 6'2" or 6'5."

So, given a chart that says 56/58 for you, my guess is that you'd probably be better off with a 58. Even so, if you had a 61 -- perhaps with a shorter stem and moving the seat forward if it seemed a little big -- you might find that it also fits well and maybe fits great and without so much exposed seatpost.

The CF 300 mm post for my 61c Z85 was maxed out but a longer alloy Ritchey post took care of that problem with a little extra to beef up the frame where the seat stay joins the top bar.

[/QUOTE]

I'm only getting a deal for the 56 though. Do you think I should pass it up? Is getting a bigger post equivalent to getting a larger frame? Sorry for all the noob questions!
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 03:41 PM
  #7  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,795

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Nope... the larger frame also has a taller head tube and a longer top tube.
McBTC is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 05:00 PM
  #8  
Beach Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 230

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I have a V85... I'm 5' 11' and have a 54 frame. Sometimes I think it is just a touch too small... but most of the time I think it is a good size. I may look at getting a seatpost with 20mm setback in the spring... Also.. as much as I'm 5 11, I only have a 31" inseam, so that does come into play as well.

As a bike, a V85 is a great ride....
Beach Bob is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 06:12 PM
  #9  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
Nope... the larger frame also has a taller head tube and a longer top tube.
Originally Posted by Beach Bob View Post
I have a V85... I'm 5' 11' and have a 54 frame. Sometimes I think it is just a touch too small... but most of the time I think it is a good size. I may look at getting a seatpost with 20mm setback in the spring... Also.. as much as I'm 5 11, I only have a 31" inseam, so that does come into play as well.


As a bike, a V85 is a great ride....

Based on that the 56cm might be alright- right? so the seatpost is the actual bar that the seat goes on What is the setback? Thanks!
Also, is it just as good to get that or to ensure you get a larger frame from the get go?


In a nutshell, I'm trying to get a solid yes/no on if I should purchase this as it's still a considerable amount of $$.
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 06:51 PM
  #10  
Beach Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 230

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
Based on that the 56cm might be alright- right? so the seatpost is the actual bar that the seat goes on What is the setback? Thanks!
Also, is it just as good to get that or to ensure you get a larger frame from the get go?


In a nutshell, I'm trying to get a solid yes/no on if I should purchase this as it's still a considerable amount of $$.
I'm not an expert, I'm not even close....

The seatpost is what is pictured in the thread earlier. The saddle is attached to it. You can get them straight (which is "normal") or with a bit of an arch on top to let the seat sit an inch behind the post itself. (Also.. the seat is on rails and can move a bit as well).

Then you get to some geometry work.... the seat post sits at an angle, which means that the taller you set the post, the further away from the bars it goes as well. So you really need to sit on the bike with the post adjust to the right height (google it...lots of guidelines that can be used) to see if your sit bones hit the saddle properly or not.

As well as the seat fitting... how close are the bars to you? are you stretching? or do you feel squeezed in?

How tall is your inseam? How much do you clear the horizontal bar across the top?

I don't think anyone can tell you if the bike will fit.. you need to sit on it and get a feel for it yourself.
Beach Bob is offline  
Old 09-09-15, 07:00 PM
  #11  
largefarva
Senior Member
 
largefarva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 162

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105; 2015 Felt V100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a V100 and I'm right around 6'1"-6'2" (haven't checked my actual height in years...sorry I can't be more accurate) and my bike is a 58 cm. I'm thinking the 56 cm might be a tad bit too small. If I were you I would see if you could try to test ride both sizes to see for yourself if the 56 cm is going to be the right size for you or not. BTW....if you're looking at an entry level bike and can find a comparable deal you should check out the V100...it's an awesome bike.
largefarva is offline  
Old 09-10-15, 12:57 PM
  #12  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by largefarva View Post
I have a V100 and I'm right around 6'1"-6'2" (haven't checked my actual height in years...sorry I can't be more accurate) and my bike is a 58 cm. I'm thinking the 56 cm might be a tad bit too small. If I were you I would see if you could try to test ride both sizes to see for yourself if the 56 cm is going to be the right size for you or not. BTW....if you're looking at an entry level bike and can find a comparable deal you should check out the V100...it's an awesome bike.
All indications point to this bike being too small!
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-11-15, 12:34 AM
  #13  
TenSpeedV2
Senior Member
 
TenSpeedV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,349

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I would say that it is too small and to pass, but you seem pretty set on getting this bike. You can change the stem and the setback of the post, but after that, if it is still too small, it doesn't matter how much you saved....the bike is still too small.

FWIW - I am 6'0" and ride a 19" mountain bike, and 58cm Felt Z5 and 58cm Felt TK2 fixed gear.
TenSpeedV2 is offline  
Old 09-11-15, 09:56 AM
  #14  
LGHT
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
Hey All,

I want to pull the trigger on a road bike but do want to have the luxury of occasionally going on some dirt roads so I've been leaning towards a hybrid.

I plan on doing lots of long rides (~50 miles a day at least).
I wouldn't get a hybrid because I occasionally want to ride dirt. What I did was put all my money into the best road bike I could get and then a few months later found a good older hybrid for playing in the dirt from time to time.

Riding a hybrid for 50 miles a day would be a serious sacrifice just to get in an occasional dirt ride. Plus having 2 bikes allows you to put 23 tires tires on the road bike and the 28's on the hybrid.
LGHT is offline  
Old 09-11-15, 10:45 AM
  #15  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2 View Post
I would say that it is too small and to pass, but you seem pretty set on getting this bike. You can change the stem and the setback of the post, but after that, if it is still too small, it doesn't matter how much you saved....the bike is still too small.

FWIW - I am 6'0" and ride a 19" mountain bike, and 58cm Felt Z5 and 58cm Felt TK2 fixed gear.

Good points- I think I'll feel it out and determine if it's uncomfortable. The challenge is I haven't ridden in about 10years so don't know what to expect. I'd imagine getting into something smaller would mean poor posture/poor comfort/less pedaling efficiency?

Thanks.
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-14-15, 07:41 AM
  #16  
ColaJacket
Senior Member
 
ColaJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,892

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
I wouldn't get a hybrid because I occasionally want to ride dirt. What I did was put all my money into the best road bike I could get and then a few months later found a good older hybrid for playing in the dirt from time to time.

Riding a hybrid for 50 miles a day would be a serious sacrifice just to get in an occasional dirt ride. Plus having 2 bikes allows you to put 23 tires tires on the road bike and the 28's on the hybrid.
Between it probably being a size too small (if it don't fit, it's not a good deal), and the fact that you want to do 50 mile trips (on a flat bar hybrid?), I would advise you not to get the bike.

Now if you could get a good deal on a 58cm gravel grinder with drop bars, where you could put 28mm (or lower) tires on it for road riding, then you should go for something like that. The Felt V85 is supposed to be good for that (as well as other biked in the link).

If you want to do single track technical trails and long road rides, you're better off getting 2 bikes. A gravel grinder is probably going to be the best compromise, especially if you want to do 50 mile rides.

GH

Last edited by ColaJacket; 09-14-15 at 07:48 AM.
ColaJacket is offline  
Old 09-23-15, 07:03 AM
  #17  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
Between it probably being a size too small (if it don't fit, it's not a good deal), and the fact that you want to do 50 mile trips (on a flat bar hybrid?), I would advise you not to get the bike.

Now if you could get a good deal on a 58cm gravel grinder with drop bars, where you could put 28mm (or lower) tires on it for road riding, then you should go for something like that. The Felt V85 is supposed to be good for that (as well as other biked in the link).

If you want to do single track technical trails and long road rides, you're better off getting 2 bikes. A gravel grinder is probably going to be the best compromise, especially if you want to do 50 mile rides.

GH
I passed it up. Super valid points and reading that article helped a TON. Handlebars are something I didn't even consider!

What are your thoughts on the CAAD8 7 Sora for these type of activities? (I know the disc brakes and slim tires are the pitfalls)
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-23-15, 08:57 AM
  #18  
ColaJacket
Senior Member
 
ColaJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,892

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
I passed it up. Super valid points and reading that article helped a TON. Handlebars are something I didn't even consider!

What are your thoughts on the CAAD8 7 Sora for these type of activities? (I know the disc brakes and slim tires are the pitfalls)
Couple of things about that bike.

1. It has 700x23 tires. I don't know what the clearance is on the frame, but 23mm tires will be very hard to do any gravel/dirt roads.

2. For $1000, you can find endurance bikes that have 105's on them. At the least, Tiagra. (Now, if you can get a deal on it for about $800, then it makes more sense.)

Actually, the disc brakes, if you are going to do some off-roading would be a plus. And, as long as the bike has some type of disc brakes, you should be able to upgrade them to hydraulics in the future.

For example, Fuji Sportif 1.1D - 2015 ($989 from Performance Bikes). I've got a Fuji Sportif (1.3C - 2014), which has the same frame as the 1.1D, and it is a good frame. This bike has 700x28mm tires, and it has clearance for even wider tires.

If you want to do some off-road on gravel/dirt roads, then you'll need a bike with at least 28mm tires. If it can accept wider that is even better. For endurance road bikes, you probably want the bike to come with 28mm tires. And any of the Gravel Grinders in that article would be good. The problem with Hybrids, is that the rolling resistance and the rider position are going to wear on you on a 50 mile ride. Not to mention, unless you got handlebar extensions, only one hand position would probably get your hands tired.

I did see one review where the guy said if he wanted a road bike that could do any gravel trail (and some dirt tracks), he would get a Specialized Diverge. I would think that most of those gravel grinders would also fit that description. If you do a search on "gravel grinder bike review", you'll find a good number of bikes that fit the bill on what you want to do.

Now, if you take off the ability to want to do the occassional dirt trail (and leave that for your current bike), then I'd go to exclusively road bikes.

GH
ColaJacket is offline  
Old 09-23-15, 09:03 AM
  #19  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been checking out those mentioned but they are $$$.

The CAAD8 7 Sora I'm getting at a really good deal used: $550. Having a tough time passing it up. To be honest being in NYC there are a lot of road trails so I guess I'd limit myself to that given the deal?




Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
Couple of things about that bike.

1. It has 700x23 tires. I don't know what the clearance is on the frame, but 23mm tires will be very hard to do any gravel/dirt roads.

2. For $1000, you can find endurance bikes that have 105's on them. At the least, Tiagra. (Now, if you can get a deal on it for about $800, then it makes more sense.)

Actually, the disc brakes, if you are going to do some off-roading would be a plus. And, as long as the bike has some type of disc brakes, you should be able to upgrade them to hydraulics in the future.

For example, Fuji Sportif 1.1D - 2015 ($989 from Performance Bikes). I've got a Fuji Sportif (1.3C - 2014), which has the same frame as the 1.1D, and it is a good frame. This bike has 700x28mm tires, and it has clearance for even wider tires.

If you want to do some off-road on gravel/dirt roads, then you'll need a bike with at least 28mm tires. If it can accept wider that is even better. For endurance road bikes, you probably want the bike to come with 28mm tires. And any of the Gravel Grinders in that article would be good. The problem with Hybrids, is that the rolling resistance and the rider position are going to wear on you on a 50 mile ride. Not to mention, unless you got handlebar extensions, only one hand position would probably get your hands tired.

I did see one review where the guy said if he wanted a road bike that could do any gravel trail (and some dirt tracks), he would get a Specialized Diverge. I would think that most of those gravel grinders would also fit that description. If you do a search on "gravel grinder bike review", you'll find a good number of bikes that fit the bill on what you want to do.

Now, if you take off the ability to want to do the occassional dirt trail (and leave that for your current bike), then I'd go to exclusively road bikes.

GH
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-23-15, 09:10 AM
  #20  
ColaJacket
Senior Member
 
ColaJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,892

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
I've been checking out those mentioned but they are $$$.

The CAAD8 7 Sora I'm getting at a really good deal used: $550. Having a tough time passing it up. To be honest being in NYC there are a lot of road trails so I guess I'd limit myself to that given the deal?
For $550, it's a good deal. The CAAD series has a lot of fans. I don't have one, so I can't give a first hand review of them. Sora for $550 is a good deal. Most people are limited to Claris (or Tourney) for that price.

Yeah, being in NYC, I can see you riding mostly roads. Maybe the occassional paved trail in one of NYC's parks.

I was just trying to take into account that you wanted to do the occassional dirt/gravel trail.

Just make sure you get one that fits (probably a 58 or 61). If it don't fit, then it's not a good deal. If it fits, then ride it like you stole it (but stay away from Richmond, VA). Also, post pics once you get it, or it didn't happen.

GH
ColaJacket is offline  
Old 09-23-15, 09:13 AM
  #21  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, thanks a ton for your tips! I'll post pics for sure once I pull the trigger on this. Been searching for the right bike for about a month now!!

Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
For $550, it's a good deal. The CAAD series has a lot of fans. I don't have one, so I can't give a first hand review of them. Sora for $550 is a good deal. Most people are limited to Claris (or Tourney) for that price.

Yeah, being in NYC, I can see you riding mostly roads. Maybe the occassional paved trail in one of NYC's parks.

I was just trying to take into account that you wanted to do the occassional dirt/gravel trail.

Just make sure you get one that fits (probably a 58 or 61). If it don't fit, then it's not a good deal. If it fits, then ride it like you stole it (but stay away from Richmond, VA). Also, post pics once you get it, or it didn't happen.

GH
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-29-15, 08:59 PM
  #22  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
For $550, it's a good deal. The CAAD series has a lot of fans. I don't have one, so I can't give a first hand review of them. Sora for $550 is a good deal. Most people are limited to Claris (or Tourney) for that price.

Yeah, being in NYC, I can see you riding mostly roads. Maybe the occassional paved trail in one of NYC's parks.

I was just trying to take into account that you wanted to do the occassional dirt/gravel trail.

Just make sure you get one that fits (probably a 58 or 61). If it don't fit, then it's not a good deal. If it fits, then ride it like you stole it (but stay away from Richmond, VA). Also, post pics once you get it, or it didn't happen.

GH
The deal on the CAAD fell through but something else may have come up that's a bit better (although a lot pricier):

Do you think it's a good buy:
2012 Blue Norcross EX Cyclocross Bike

The seller is willing to include: clincher wheelset, a set of road tires, a set of knobby tires, some extra tubes, and extra derailleur hanger and a Feedback Sports storage stand.

I was really hoping to go with a shimano set-up but looks like it'll be SRAM.

Cyclocross looks like the way to go to get the best of road and some dirt roads. Appreciate your input!
AVKS is offline  
Old 09-30-15, 07:26 AM
  #23  
ColaJacket
Senior Member
 
ColaJacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,892

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVKS View Post
The deal on the CAAD fell through but something else may have come up that's a bit better (although a lot pricier):

Do you think it's a good buy:
2012 Blue Norcross EX Cyclocross Bike

The seller is willing to include: clincher wheelset, a set of road tires, a set of knobby tires, some extra tubes, and extra derailleur hanger and a Feedback Sports storage stand.

I was really hoping to go with a shimano set-up but looks like it'll be SRAM.

Cyclocross looks like the way to go to get the best of road and some dirt roads. Appreciate your input!
It looks like it is mostly Apex, which from what I can tell is the 10-spd version of their product, which means that it should be equivalent to Tiagra.

They were honest on the BBB value. The only thing that I would be concerned about, is that it was raced, and Cyclocross races aren't the easiest races on bikes, even if they don't crash. And then there is the question of whether or not it was ever crashed while racing or training.

If it doesn't have any crash damage, then it is probably a good deal. But I'd be very wary of that. Maybe meet them at a LBS that you trust, and pay the LBS to give it a thorough safety check to make sure it hasn't suffered any crash damage.

GH
ColaJacket is offline  
Old 09-30-15, 04:45 PM
  #24  
AVKS
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 18

Bikes: CAAD 8(sold), 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Carbon 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
It looks like it is mostly Apex, which from what I can tell is the 10-spd version of their product, which means that it should be equivalent to Tiagra.

They were honest on the BBB value. The only thing that I would be concerned about, is that it was raced, and Cyclocross races aren't the easiest races on bikes, even if they don't crash. And then there is the question of whether or not it was ever crashed while racing or training.

If it doesn't have any crash damage, then it is probably a good deal. But I'd be very wary of that. Maybe meet them at a LBS that you trust, and pay the LBS to give it a thorough safety check to make sure it hasn't suffered any crash damage.

GH
Got it and if it's damaged then don't touch it no matter the discount- right? Are the extras he is throwing in impressive? Took a quick google browse through them and quickly realizing how much of a noob I am with all these parts!!

Bike hunting on a budget is a mission! Been on this grind for 2 months now with the season almost ending.
AVKS is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
E.S.
Pacific Northwest Regional Rides
1
09-23-15 08:47 PM
spdracr39
General Cycling Discussion
1
08-26-15 08:40 PM
Draggames
General Cycling Discussion
0
03-21-15 12:37 PM
Sprout97
Tandem Cycling
0
01-16-15 08:48 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.